2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 438, 439, 440 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
I feel like I've seen enough of the Top 6-7 guys or so at this point to feel pretty comfortable with Fultz, Ball, & Jackson as the definitive Top 3.

The last guy I need to watch more is Isaac.

GT, apologies if you posted this previously but don't think I've seen your thoughts on Jayson Tatum.

I'm curious too. I think I would have Tatum in my top 3 over Ball.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

romeo wrote:
i dont see fultz dropping. he's probably going to pull a towns and workout for the team with the #1 pick and get that guarantee

I'd hope that's us
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject:

romeo wrote:
i dont see fultz dropping. he's probably going to pull a towns and workout for the team with the #1 pick and get that guarantee

It's probably premature to say anything that definitively until we see how the ping pong balls drop, but I'd definitely agree that Fultz is the favorite at this point.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

Lonzo Ball story on the Vertical

Quote:
“The Lakers are in L.A., and they’re close to home,” Ball told The Vertical. “This is where all my family is. Hopefully, they have a nice pick and they have a chance to get me"

Quote:
“I’ll give the same answer to everyone: My dad is going to be my dad, he’s not going to change, but what I do on the court has nothing to do with what he says,” Ball told The Vertical. “He’s off the court and doesn’t impact how I approach the court. It doesn’t affect me in any type of way. I play the same way every game.”

Quote:
“Pick-and-roll, mid-range pull-ups and my floaters – those are the areas that I have focus on right on,” Ball told The Vertical. “If you watch the NBA, it’s almost all pick-and-rolls. The bigs have to make a decision, whether he wants to come up or stay back, and that’s when the mid-range game comes into play. I have to keep on perfecting those aspects.”
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
I feel like I've seen enough of the Top 6-7 guys or so at this point to feel pretty comfortable with Fultz, Ball, & Jackson as the definitive Top 3.

GT, apologies if you posted this previously but don't think I've seen your thoughts on Jayson Tatum.

GT has said that he's "meh" about Tatum.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

I think with our 28th pick, assuming we keep it, we will go with a 3-4 year player who is ready to play now. Think Nance, Brogdon Jr., etc. Tough to add another 19 year old in the mix IMO.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think with our 28th pick, assuming we keep it, we will go with a 3-4 year player who is ready to play now. Think Nance, Brogdon Jr., etc. Tough to add another 19 year old in the mix IMO.

we need backcourt/wing contributors so i'm looking at

monte morris, wesley iwundu, jevon carter, devin robinson, josh hart
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah, looks about right. If we're lucky to have a top 3 pick, that's 1 19 year old to join our still-19 year old Ingram.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah, looks about right. If we're lucky to have a top 3 pick, that's 1 19 year old to join our still-19 year old Ingram.

or a trade
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I wouldn't rule out a stash pick either.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

I think given the stuff Magic has been saying about being competitive, we have too many young players to fulfill that mandate.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:

Quote:
“The Lakers are in L.A., and they’re close to home,” Ball told The Vertical. “This is where all my family is. Hopefully, they have a nice pick and they have a chance to get me"

Quote:
“I’ll give the same answer to everyone: My dad is going to be my dad, he’s not going to change, but what I do on the court has nothing to do with what he says,” Ball told The Vertical. “He’s off the court and doesn’t impact how I approach the court. It doesn’t affect me in any type of way. I play the same way every game.”

Quote:
“Pick-and-roll, mid-range pull-ups and my floaters – those are the areas that I have focus on right on,” Ball told The Vertical. “If you watch the NBA, it’s almost all pick-and-rolls. The bigs have to make a decision, whether he wants to come up or stay back, and that’s when the mid-range game comes into play. I have to keep on perfecting those aspects.”

Lonzo is my numero uno. He will make the biggest impact in this draft. His game is suited for NBA, pace and all that elite vision and passing. The last paragraph is if when he get more experience and work ethic and how bad he wants it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh to be young and dumb.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:

Quote:

Good to hear he is aware of those things.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Quote:

I think it's good to be aware, but how does he improve that in real game situations? Those are some major flags that he will have to surmount next year.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Quote:

I think it's good to be aware, but how does he improve that in real game situations? Those are some major flags that he will have to surmount next year.

As I told you before, that is why for me this draft it is about Fultz at #1. After that every player has as many red flags as I see in the players we have.

We should be able to hit the jackpot at least once in the draft after so many miserable seasons. Damn it, OKC did it three straight years.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Quote:

As I told you before, that is why for me this draft it is about Fultz at #1. After that every player has as many red flags as I see in the players we have.

We should be able to hit the jackpot at least once in the draft after so many miserable seasons. Damn it, OKC did it three straight years.

I hear ya about the red flags man, fultz not being a good defender and not changing a losing culture at a college program are flags to be sure. It's only gonna get tougher at the next level...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Quote:

I hear ya about the red flags man, fultz not being a good defender and not changing a losing culture at a college program are flags to be sure. It's only gonna get tougher at the next level...

At the end of the day, they're just kids. At the guard level, the past 4-5 years, not many lead guards who come in and dominant. Seems the apprenticeship/learning curve is steeper today than ever. Not sure if we should be expecting for example, Ball to come in and dominate right away. Could be in for some modest numbers his first few years.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Quote:

Poor record despite his numbers means he's not an impact player. Not being an elite athlete for a scorer might not be enough to be a game changer at the next level. If he was an elite shooter, he could get away but 66% of his FT, looks to me he's more of streaky one. I think his floor is high because he's dynamic.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Quote:

At the end of the day, they're just kids. At the guard level, the past 4-5 years, not many lead guards who come in and dominant. Seems the apprenticeship/learning curve is steeper today than ever. Not sure if we should be expecting for example, Ball to come in and dominate right away. Could be in for some modest numbers his first few years.

My expectations are a bit different. I would not be expecting any rookie to start day one. I would bring in a vet PG in free agency and let the rookie come in off the bench.

Any of the top 3 would fit this role. Fultz, Ball or Jackson getting 20mpg with the second unit against other second units would be fine for me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

We've seen how uber talented studs in college need time to develop. First Jules, then DLO, then Ingram. To expect Fultz/Ball/Jackson to be so good in year 1 that it would appease PG13 (assuming we traded out DLO and/or Ingram but kept the pick) is too presumptuous.

19 year old guards seem to need a good amount of time, especially if they are running lead guard. In fact, the ones that have succeeded in the past 5 years (aside from Irving, who just needed Lebron ) have been much older guys like Lillard.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

GT has said that he's "meh" about Tatum.

I mean, it's just one man's opinion at the end of the day.

I see why people like him. He's skilled and has the potential to be a 3-level scorer, as Mike has pointed out.

That said, I don't love wings who can't handle the ball particularly well and I think he's pretty flaccid defensively. I think he's at his best when he's getting triple threat touches and I think much of the league is going away from that. I think he's strong in areas that aren't really all that important anymore.

I'd probably have him 5th or 6th on my board.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Pick #28 needs to be packaged in some deal imo. Perhaps one to free us of Moz or Deng.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Quote:

I don't buy this idea. We had so many years without a talented legit 7 footer entering the league. It just happens that we didn't have any really outstanding guard last few seasons.If we draft a good one I don't see any reasons he couldn't get the job done. I don't expect such a player to make a huge difference on the win/loss column early, but you can get a clue about the player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Quote:

I don't buy this idea. We had so many years without a talented legit 7 footer entering the league. It just happens that we didn't have any really outstanding guard last few seasons.If we draft a good one I don't see any reasons he couldn't get the job done. I don't expect such a player to make a huge difference on the win/loss column early, but you can get a clue about the player.

So what's your evidence? I have 5 drafts that say otherwise. The lead guard's job is very complex today. 19 years olds have had a difficult acclimation period recently.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 438, 439, 440 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 439 of 1281
Jump to: