2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 442, 443, 444 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject:

^Yep. The modern NBA isn't about pure PGs anymore, so, I kind of figure, why bother with the traditional PF as well? Ideally, I think you just want to maximize guard skill sets at all 5 positions and just have the ability to rebound and get defensive stops.

But for me, it's the work ethic thing. I mean even Clarkson overcame "average athleticism" issues out of Mizzou, lost some weight, and looks like he actually as some twitch. I don't expect the same for Tatum at all, and frankly, I think his footwork is advanced enough so that it won't matter as much anyway.

But afaik, JC still had the busiest off-season regiment post-draft I had ever seen. Player workouts. Draft. Vegas Pro League. Canadian MVP Tournament. Player development coaching. Took a break somewhere between August and Sept.

Then took on Nash's tutelage and ended up All rookie 1st team. Just wish the court vision/PnR play sunk in.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Odom and Horry were both near 6'11 though, even in the last gen of hoops you didn't see 6'11 SFs...

If Tatum had a better body, I'd be for drafting him and giving him 20mpg at PF. But the dude's lower body is skinny, he's top heavy only 205lbs last year. Barnes was more muscular. I just can't be confident that Tatum isn't going to have Paul George's hesitancy of playing PF, the guy who you compared him to. Tatum has wider shoulders but I think they both have wing strength

I guess I'm just not phased by NBA size as much as I used to with the modern NBA. Yeah, Barnes was a stronger player, but was never thought of as a defensive player coming out of North Carolina.

Josh Jackson, I'm actually, more discouraged of, because he's been the same weight since he was 17, nevermind some of the people he spent time with last season that led to some trouble.

But all of this is predicated on the Lakers playing defense, let alone being good at it. I'm not even thinking that far ahead. The philosophy is still BPA. I'm even aware that Tatum is #4 on most guys lists except mine and Vecenie, but just believe so strongly in work ethic regardless of size limitations or athleticism, that I don't care. I didn't even care about Ingram's weight because I trusted his work ethic too.

So, for me, the worst case scenario is 2 young, hardworking PF/SF types with different skill sets and have shown the ability to pass and have some concept of team defense?

I could do a lot worse for Top 3, especially if Fultz/Ball are gone.

I'm also just not as convinced yet about Josh Jackson, which is why I'm playing a heavy emphasis on workouts and interviews.

I want to know their approach to the game, how serious they are about it, how the have a passion/love for it. Because to me, even when DLO and Randle have shown improvement over the past two years, it didn't look anywhere near as transformative as Ingram in the last month.

I want THAT guy.

I mean, we talk about Ingram working with Kobe and getting his footwork done with a cleaner, more consistent form on his shot.

I just imagine Tatum, who I think has a far better jumpshot, especially off the dribble, learning from Bryant as well. All of a sudden, I don't think we're talking about Tobias Harris or Rudy Gay at 20ppg. I think we would see a 25+ppg guy with the idea that he can still become that stud catch and shoot/lightweight playmaker too. This is why I think of Paul George touches, especially when I compare their scoring games back to back. Then, he's a stud asset on the Lakers, or, the Lakers can actually think about building around him.

The big holes in Harris' and Gay's skill set out of college was, they didn't have Tatum's elite Iso or post PPP. Straight line drives and foundation for 3pt. shooting? Sure.

Question is, how do you know his work ethic is more than Jackson's? Considering the improvements Jackson made in a single year, I'd assume his work ethic is pretty darn high too, as high as you think Tatum's is.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Question is, how do you know his work ethic is more than Jackson's? Considering the improvements Jackson made in a single year, I'd assume his work ethic is pretty darn high too, as high as you think Tatum's is.

I would like to know this answer also. It is one thing to say you believe one guy has a great work ethic, but it is totally different thing to claim one person has a better work ethic than another....unless you know something.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo Ball Talks Lakers, Trying To Emulate Magic Johnson’s Game

Quote:
The NBA Draft Lottery is less than three weeks away with the Los Angeles Lakers set to learn the fate of their first-round pick on May 16.

One top prospect that will be keeping a close eye on where the Lakers land is UCLA’s Lonzo Ball.

http://www.lakersnation.com/uclas-lonzo-ball-talks-lakers-trying-to-emulate-magic-johnsons-game/2017/04/26/
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
GT what are your thoughts if Ball winds up in Philly with Simmons?

They'd be fun in transition but I don't really love his fit there. They need perimeter guys who can create their own shot and Ball isn't really that. I think Fultz is a much better fit there.

Fultz would be the best fit on Philly. I don't see Ball, Smith JR or Fox as great fits on that team.

After Fultz, the next best fit on Philly is probably DLo.

If the Lakers do get the #1 pick and Philly has a top 4 pick, we should try to send DLO to Philly for their 1st round pick and another asset.

Not only is Fultz/Jackson/Ingram or Fultz/Tatum/Ingram a better core to build from defensively, it also buys the FO another year before having to give a big extension to a draft pick.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:
The NBA Draft Lottery is less than three weeks away with the Los Angeles Lakers set to learn the fate of their first-round pick on May 16.

One top prospect that will be keeping a close eye on where the Lakers land is UCLA’s Lonzo Ball.

http://www.lakersnation.com/uclas-lonzo-ball-talks-lakers-trying-to-emulate-magic-johnsons-game/2017/04/26/

If you're not 6'9 and a post threat, you can't emulate Magic.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

If you're not 6'9 and a post threat, you can't emulate Magic.

...no...but you can play to his ego.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject:

Damn I just watched Tatum's weaknesses, now I can actually somewhat understand where @44thelogo is coming from when he says Tatum doesn't have a standout NBA skill.
Can we change my username to FlipFlop or DoesntWatchWeaknesses
Tatum was my one prospect outside of Futlz who I didn't see major question marks in - but now I do. Tatum will struggle driving against SFs, but struggle finishing vs PFs. Defense is also a huge question mark IMO - high stance and below average lateral quickness is a baddd combo, combined with some disinterest

I just see both sides of the coin on all of these prospects. I don't like their floors. Not in love with any of them except Fultz.
Their ceilings still make it a good draft class though.

Fultz

Ball
Isaac
Jackson/Tatum

Monk
Ntilikina
DSJ
Hartenstein
Fox
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

Nike, Under Armour, Adidas not interested in deal with Lonzo Ball

Quote:
Ball's father, LaVar, confirmed that the three shoe and apparel companies informed him that they were not interested in completing a deal with his son. Sources with the three companies told ESPN.com that they indeed were moving on.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19264024/nike-armour-adidas-not-interested-deal-lonzo-ball
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
Ball's father, LaVar, confirmed that the three shoe and apparel companies informed him that they were not interested in completing a deal with his son. Sources with the three companies told ESPN.com that they indeed were moving on.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19264024/nike-armour-adidas-not-interested-deal-lonzo-ball
Hold this L, Lavar.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

Hold this L, Lavar.

never heard of the 3 big brands say "we are out" on a top draft pick.

maybe he can get a deal with LA Gear, and have those flashing light shoes....or wear some Vans board shoes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

I'm having concerns that Lonzo may be a good, but not great NBA player whose outlandish father overhyped him. I'm hoping that I'm wrong b/c I like the kid a lot.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm having concerns that Lonzo may be a good, but not great NBA player whose outlandish father overhyped him. I'm hoping that I'm wrong b/c I like the kid a lot.

I think he is a low floor / high ceiling player....the kind of player that could be out of the league in 5 years or on the ALL NBA team. A guy like Jackson is probably going to be an All Star, but I am not sure if he is going to ever be an All NBA first team kind of player....high floor/good ceiling.

Last edited by adkindo on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think he is a low floor / high ceiling player....the kind of player that could be out of the league in 5 years or on the ALL NBA team.

Of my top 3, I feel the "surest" about Fultz and Jackson. Ball is a hit/miss for me b/c I'm not sure how his NBA game will look like.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think he is a low floor / high ceiling player....the kind of player that could be out of the league in 5 years or on the ALL NBA team.

Of my top 3, I feel the "surest" about Fultz and Jackson. Ball is a hit/miss for me b/c I'm not sure how his NBA game will look like.

I think Fultz is as close to cant miss as I have seen in a while in regards to being an All Star within 3 or 4 years.....but I still believe Jackson's temperament would be the perfect ingredient to our young core melting pot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think Fultz is as close to cant miss as I have seen in a while in regards to being an All Star within 3 or 4 years.....but I still believe Jackson's temperament would be the perfect ingredient to our young core melting pot.

Jackson only b/c his motor is high and has some nice athletic tools. Like if his skill level isn't there and developing, I see how he can contribute. Ball, if they take away some aspects of his game (like Fox did), yikes.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

You honestly can't go wrong with an athletic 6'7-6'9 swingman who can guard multiple positions. Worst case scenario you get Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (who will always have a place in today's NBA.)
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

heard another crazy number recently....out of the approximately 450 NBA contracts from this past year, over 70 were undrafted! That is over 15% of the league was made up of undrafted players. Much higher that I would have guessed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
You honestly can't go wrong with an athletic 6'7-6'9 swingman who can guard multiple positions. Worst case scenario you get Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (who will always have a place in today's NBA.)

I don't think Jackson's shot is broken like MKG, and he is a better ball handler/distributor. I think MKG's defense is probably better.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

His crazy dad just cost him deals with Nike, Under Armor, Adidas. How the hell can you mess up that badly? I'm for getting either Jackson or Tatum to stay away from the helicopter dad.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

His crazy dad just cost him deals with Nike, Under Armor, Adidas. How the hell can you mess up that badly? I'm for getting either Jackson or Tatum to stay away from the helicopter dad.

It's not the dad that did it for me, but just kind of stepping away from the Ball hype and trying to see it objectively a bit. I was certainly mesmerized by it in the moment.

I see that he can be a long-time NBA player who is smart and plays the right way. Now, with a top 2 pick and the expectations that would be heaped on him, I'm less certain of that now.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

I don't think Jackson's shot is broken like MKG, and he is a better ball handler/distributor. I think MKG's defense is probably better.

I agree, I'm saying a player like Jackson is generally a safe pick. Even if he's never a star he's always going to be a valuable player in the league.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:

I'd consider ending up with MKG as it having gone wrong.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

I think a lot of the concerns about Ball are assuaged if you consider him to be a SG.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

I'd consider ending up with MKG as it having gone wrong.

yeah.....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 442, 443, 444 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 443 of 1281
Jump to: