2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
MJST wrote:
adkindo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
Speaking of Lavar Ball, the head coach of Chino Hills basketball team got fired recently. Shortly after elimination, Lavar Ball said he would remove his child from the school because he didn't agree with the coaching decisions. Of course now Lavar is saying that he had nothing to do with the firing but come on, this dude just won a state title 2 years ago. That's pretty (bleep) up.

The coach that won the state title left. Next year they'll have their 3rd coach in 3 years. LaVar should just coach the team. He's the amalgamation of every parent that I hated.

There have been some reporting that the parents there literally hate him and the entire family......I have zero idea if there is any truth to that, and the article that I read looked more like a private blog than a reputable sports journalism site. Still, its not hard to imagine there being a lot of resentment in the way the entire team appears to be set up to spotlight only his kids.

His problem with the coach this year was for a much more personal reason considering LaVar got him the job in the first place.

I recommend everyone do their research on that. It goes a LOT deeper than "he doesn't play my kids right."

I'm aware of the backstory there. The lede there, however, was that LaVar had the power to install him as the coach in the first place.

Steve Baik got the heck up outta there as soon as he could.

Sorry to burst your bubble there on Steve Baik/ LaVar beef but he's still very close to the Ball family and is actually one of LaVar's defenders when the media tried to paint him a certain way.

Former Chino Hills coach says LaVar Ball is often misunderstood

Fairfax (Los Angeles) boys basketball coach Steve Baik, who coached Chino Hills, (Calif.), to an unbeaten season and a Super 25 title last year, said that LaVar Ball hasn’t changed. The perception about him has.

Ball is the father of UCLA player Lonzo Ball and Chino Hills players LiAngelo and LaMelo Ball. All three were members of last season’s title team.

“I know he’s loud and appears arrogant and this and that, and I’m not make any excuses for some of his comments, but a lot of people take these snippets and portray what they want,” Baik told USA TODAY Sports. “The whole LeBron comment, about his kid, I don’t think that was a criticism of LeBron’s kid. That was maybe just an example. Steph Curry is the only example I can think of where a son is better than his dad in the NBA.

“What LaVar said, there is some truth to that and I don’t think it was a direct insult to LeBron and that’s what people are putting it out to be. People are putting the mic in LaVar’s face and asking specific questions. LaVar hasn’t changed. The only difference is he’s been given a platform.”

Baik said he was surprised at what seems to be a rift between Ball and current Chino Hills coach Stephan Gilling. Gilling was promoted to head coach when Baik left.

“I was surprised at the outcome of the season with the way things ended,” Baik said. “Stephan was a guy who was close to the Ball family as well as me and it was a strategic hire. Both sides (Gilling and Ball) knew what they were getting into."

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/reigning-all-usa-coach-of-the-year-steve-baik-says-lavar-ball-is-often-quoted-and-misunderstood

So yeah, there's no bad blood there.

It's also stated by him the reason he left Chino Hills was mainly to do with being closer to his family.

Last edited by MJST on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

I didn't say there's bad blood.

I said he got the hell out of there as soon as he could.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I didn't say there's bad blood.

I said he got the hell out of there as soon as he could.

You did, and you were wrong with the insinuation that it had to do with LaVar. The answer is actually a bit closer to home.

Chino Hills' Steve Baik opens up about resignation

Baik led the Huskies to a 35-0 record and CIF state Open Division championship. Chino Hills finished the season ranked No. 1 in the nation in most national polls.

Prep2Prep’s basketball Coach of the Year cited that he desires to be closer his family in Pasadena.

I’ve been commuting 40 miles to Chino Hills for the past few years and I’m at a point in my life where I have a young family. I have a soon-to-be five year old and I have a nine month old," Baik said. “A few weeks ago, my wife and I just realized how fast those four, five years went and how precious those years are and we can’t get those years back. I had to sacrifice something.

Baik coached the Huskies for nine seasons, the last six as head coach. Along with being Prep2Prep’s top basketball coach, he also received Naismith National Coach of the Year and USA Today Coach of the Year accolades in 2016.

Although he’s parted ways with Chino Hills, Baik yearns to stick to the high school ranks closer to his family.

“I just want to be closer to home (in Pasadena),” Baik explained. “To not coaching, to being an assistant, if the right opportunity presents itself as a head coach and teacher. I’m just open right now.”

http://prep2prep.com/feature.aspx?ArticleID=10159

That's understandable by any stretch. So yeah. It isn't the "LaVar Ball" beef that did that either. Cause there was none.

Nobody is gonna sit here and go "No, it's cause of LaVar Ball!"

So if that's really the reason he's moved on, which is a lot more meaningful than some beef that didn't happen, I'm not going to assume it was anything else or that he's lying there.

Last edited by MJST on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Yes, that's what you tell the media.

Bro, he lives in Pasadena and now coaches at Fairfax, in West Hollywood. You're telling me his commute is that much different?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Bro, he lives in Pasadena and now coaches at Fairfax, in West Hollywood. You're telling me his commute is that much different?

Fairfax is 20 miles closer to him than Chino Hills was so yes.

Like I said, I'm not gonna take someone saying that he wanted to coach somewhere closer to his family and still wants to coach high school ball, so he then takes a job at a place 20 miles closer than Chino Hills, thus it all lines uo and then call him a liar.

Last edited by MJST on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Are you from LA?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
MJST wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Are you from LA?

Like I said, I'm not gonna take someone saying that he wanted to coach somewhere closer to his family and still wants to coach high school ball, so he then takes a job at a place 20 miles closer than Chino Hills, thus it all lines uo and then call him a liar.

And I'm from everywhere in California from San Diego to Fremont cause we traveled a lot and if you drew a smiley face on the United States in general I've been or lived there I'm a Cali kid that used to get free Lakers tickets thanks to my mom's job and when the friends we gave one batch to got to meet Rick Fox I was jealous though I no longer live in Cali sadly as of last year

DON'T ever say 405 around me.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
MJST wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Are you from LA?

And I'm from everywhere in California from San Diego to Fremont cause we traveled a lot and if you drew a smiley face on the United States in general I've been or lived there I'm a Cali kid that used to get free Lakers tickets thanks to my mom's job and when the friends we gave one batch to got to meet Rick Fox I was jealous though I no longer live in Cali sadly as of last year

His commute is just as long as it was to Chino Hills, in terms of time. He's not getting any added benefit of being "closer to his family".
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Typically, don't we expect to see these top five category draft prospects skippng the combine ?

It varies by prospect.

I like to see Fultz present. Don't you think top prospects skipping combine and workouts is a way to hide points of concern?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
MJST wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
MJST wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Are you from LA?

His commute is just as long as it was to Chino Hills, in terms of time. He's not getting any added benefit of being "closer to his family".

According to him the commute to Chino Hills took him an hour, and the commute he has now from Fairfax to his home takes about 20 minutes. So I'll say that's closer.

And to the subject and hopefully to add some closure to it, he's already addressed the people that try to assume he left because of LaVar.

"For them to think that is so far from the truth," he said. "People are going to speculate. I was considering not even coaching next year. We considered moving to Chino Hills. I built some amazing relationships with these families. LaVar and Tina are family in my book. These kids are like my own boys. All these kids are special. They're players you dream about having."

He has been friends with Kitani(former coach of Fairfax) for years. Their mentors are the same _ former college coach Dave Yanai. When Kitani found out Baik had resigned, they talked.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-sp-vi-boys-basketball-steve-baik-says-he-s-excited-to-take-over-fairfax-program-20160521-story.html

I get you don't like LaVar, GT. But sometimes there isn't anything more beneath the surface.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Pasadena to Fairfax is not 20 minutes. Lawd.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Maybe he takes a helicopter to Fairfax?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Typically, don't we expect to see these top five category draft prospects skippng the combine ?

It varies by prospect.

I like to see Fultz present. Don't you think top prospects skipping combine and workouts is a way to hide points of concern?

Towns skipped the combine so I don't think it's about hiding. More like whether they see if there is a benefit or not. In Fultz's case it's probably to his benefit to get his measurables on the public record.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Wiggins and Jabari also skipped the combine a few years ago. Although their measurables were released at a private workout so that's good and fun
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Wiggins and Jabari also skipped the combine a few years ago. Although their measurables were released at a private workout so that's good and fun

Wiggins skipped the combine but then won the event by posting a picture of him jumping really high on instagram/twitter
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Actually, Chino Hills is closer from Pasadena because it is against traffic.

I live in Arcadia which is 5 miles east of Pasadena.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
MJST wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Actually, Chino Hills is closer from Pasadena because it is against traffic.

I live in Arcadia which is 5 miles east of Pasadena.

And he's in Altadena.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
MJST wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
MJST wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Are you from LA?

I would've just figured that he made the move to go to a much higher profile basketball situation career-wise since Fairfax is one of the top local high school basketball programs. If he's gonna deal with helicopter parents, might as well do it in a higher profile setting where down the line he could net some rewards in moving up in the basketball coaching ranks.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
70sdude wrote:

It varies by prospect.

Why should an agent put their player in the combine when the perception of the player is really high in the minds of the basketball world?

I don't like it, but it would be a poor financial decision to put a guy in a combine and then drop down lottery slots because their vert was low or had bad lateral agility times.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Showtime__79
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Pasadena to Fairfax is not 20 minutes. Lawd.

If you before 7am, should be able to get there in about 30.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
MJST wrote:
adkindo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
Speaking of Lavar Ball, the head coach of Chino Hills basketball team got fired recently. Shortly after elimination, Lavar Ball said he would remove his child from the school because he didn't agree with the coaching decisions. Of course now Lavar is saying that he had nothing to do with the firing but come on, this dude just won a state title 2 years ago. That's pretty (bleep) up.

The coach that won the state title left. Next year they'll have their 3rd coach in 3 years. LaVar should just coach the team. He's the amalgamation of every parent that I hated.

There have been some reporting that the parents there literally hate him and the entire family......I have zero idea if there is any truth to that, and the article that I read looked more like a private blog than a reputable sports journalism site. Still, its not hard to imagine there being a lot of resentment in the way the entire team appears to be set up to spotlight only his kids.

His problem with the coach this year was for a much more personal reason considering LaVar got him the job in the first place.

I recommend everyone do their research on that. It goes a LOT deeper than "he doesn't play my kids right."

I'm aware of the backstory there. The lede there, however, was that LaVar had the power to install him as the coach in the first place.

Steve Baik got the heck up outta there as soon as he could.

Baik was the puppet. Even with all that recognition, he knew back in his mind that it was all Lavar. Lavar footprints are all over the program, he just went with the flow. Nothing he can do, Ball bros are bigger than the program. In essence, Baik basically quit while he was ahead. Smart move.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
nash wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
70sdude wrote:

It varies by prospect.

Why should an agent put their player in the combine when the perception of the player is really high in the minds of the basketball world?

I don't like it, but it would be a poor financial decision to put a guy in a combine and then drop down lottery slots because their vert was low or had bad lateral agility times.

I get why they do not do it, and I would not support forcing anyone not under contract to perform physical activity, but I would be ok with requiring them to show up for team interviews, etc.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
nash wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
70sdude wrote:

It varies by prospect.

I get why they do not do it, and I would not support forcing anyone not under contract to perform physical activity, but I would be ok with requiring them to show up for team interviews, etc.

Yup, and that's happened before. If we can't get athletic testing numbers, then, at least player measurements and interviews.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
MJST wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
I have a prediction on this Lonzo and Lavar Ball drama. It's a pretty sad prediction, and I hope it never gets to that point but I feel like this is just going to end in a court case between the two like 5-7 years from now.

Lavar will continue to try to make as much profit off of Lonzo until he realizes what's going on.

Lonzo makes his own profit off of their brand -_-

He's losing deals with Nike, Addidas and all the top notch brands because Lavar wants the companies to license the Big Baller Brand.

He's losing millions because of his fathers greed for his own brand.

Lavar got some balls.

I would never gamble for millions. I'll take the dough and run with it. But Lavar did a bold more here. The end will justify the means.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
MJST wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
I have a prediction on this Lonzo and Lavar Ball drama. It's a pretty sad prediction, and I hope it never gets to that point but I feel like this is just going to end in a court case between the two like 5-7 years from now.

Lavar will continue to try to make as much profit off of Lonzo until he realizes what's going on.

Lonzo makes his own profit off of their brand -_-

He's losing deals with Nike, Addidas and all the top notch brands because Lavar wants the companies to license the Big Baller Brand.

He's losing millions because of his fathers greed for his own brand.

Lavar got some balls.

I would never gamble for millions. I'll take the dough and run with it. But Lavar did a bold more here. The end will justify the means.

after Big Baller Brand finally finds a partner with Heely's......wonder if he will get called for traveling if that little wheel pops out of his shoe and he begins skating down the court......

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BQJ-VYXBg1g/TlvM1ydc3xI/AAAAAAAAHn8/eRCTjYuKAxA/s1600/girls+night+at+home+8-2011+010.JPG
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 447 of 1281
Jump to: