2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 777, 778, 779 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

If Lonzo wasn't a good athlete, he would not have the same effect on the game as he does.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
I really think Lonzo's athleticism is underrated. By no means do I think he is an elite athlete, but I think he's definitely above average. I see good speed, and he definitely can get vertical when needed. He doesn't necessarily have the pop where he can get off the floor quick and be above the rim like a Westbrook/Wall etc, but he definitely has a nice foundation to build off of.

LINK

I think Lonzo's best athletic trait is speed in transition.

But don't ask about finishing with authority off the dribble or initial first step.

I agree with that. But I think he has the tools there, and it's possible that the staff will get him to try and finish strong instead of the soft acrobatic layups like they did Ingram. Either way, I think his athleticism is definitely underrated. Speaking of his first step, with the physical tools he has, you would think it would be better. We'll see if nba training and improving his level of ball handling will help.

Yup. This is right in line with my idea of saying that Ball has a lot of things to work on.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Ingram will be that guy, the go to guy who can physically imposed his will and dominate. And I've seen enough flashes of it and he's not even quite there physically.

Lonzo will set the pace offensively. He will let guys like Ingram to play to their strengths and give the ball to their sweet spots. Those guys you mentioned are not even better than Dlo. And I ain't even mentioning Zu who showed a lot of promise.

Fultz is clearly better as a prospect than everyone that has been drafted onto the Lakers since 1996. Fultz > DAR.

You're banking on Ingram's talent, and I can understand why. Just, we have zero foundation to believe in it. Straight line driving out of triple threat is just one small aspect of an overall offensive package.

It also tells me, you're already comfortable with Ingram as a #1 option. I definitely am not.

Wait if Fultz is the consensus #1 pick then how are we getting Fultz again? what has Fultz shown that makes you able to bank on him as oppose to Bynum, Russell, Randle, and Ingram? What data do you have to show us that Fultz > DAR?

We're not getting Fultz, but the prior poster stated to me, that all of the guys that I mentioned in the draft aren't even at DAR's level. Just, totally disagree.

What has Fultz shown? His only real weakness is off-ball defense. Like, do you want eye test things or data things? Because Fultz has done both, and there's plenty of highlight reels to show what Fultz did vs. what DAR did at the NCAA level.

Oh okay, I was wondering how the argument for Fultz came about. You also made a bold statement about Fultz being better than anybody we've ever drafted since '96 wow, that's a bold statement, I think Bynum was a better prospect. And I don't buy into Fultz > DAR not after seeing this

D'Angelo Russell BPM : 11.7
Markelle Fultz BPM: 9.1
Lonzo Ball BPM: 12.2

And this: https://m.imgur.com/SGqcRgs
And this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAseB4eXcAE6c_J.jpg
And this: https://m.imgur.com/gSAiozs

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc

Last edited by Andre2K on Mon May 29, 2017 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/5/29/15709500/la-lakers-luke-walton-lamar-odom-nba-draft-workouts-photos-jordan-bell-oregon

fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
I really think Lonzo's athleticism is underrated. By no means do I think he is an elite athlete, but I think he's definitely above average. I see good speed, and he definitely can get vertical when needed. He doesn't necessarily have the pop where he can get off the floor quick and be above the rim like a Westbrook/Wall etc, but he definitely has a nice foundation to build off of.

LINK

But don't ask about finishing with authority off the dribble or initial first step.

Fultz doesn't have a quick first step either. He just has better ball-handling and body control. I actually think they are comparable athletes. Fultz bigger hands and stronger frame at this point.

https://twitter.com/talkhoops/status/867052943933022208

Watch the gear shift after he crosses half court on the first play. Another thing you notice is that he often dunks when his final dribble is outside of the three point line.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I think Bynum was a better prospect

Not even close. Bynum didn't exactly have glowing basketball workouts. He was 20lbs. overweight, missing midrange jumpers, and was just athletic clay. The dude had a problem just spending so much time gathering up for dunks. He always brought the ball down until he finally got the strength.

By far, he was the riskiest guy in the Lakers drafted in the lottery with the most holes in his game.

CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Ingram will be that guy, the go to guy who can physically imposed his will and dominate. And I've seen enough flashes of it and he's not even quite there physically.

Lonzo will set the pace offensively. He will let guys like Ingram to play to their strengths and give the ball to their sweet spots. Those guys you mentioned are not even better than Dlo. And I ain't even mentioning Zu who showed a lot of promise.

Fultz is clearly better as a prospect than everyone that has been drafted onto the Lakers since 1996. Fultz > DAR.

You're banking on Ingram's talent, and I can understand why. Just, we have zero foundation to believe in it. Straight line driving out of triple threat is just one small aspect of an overall offensive package.

It also tells me, you're already comfortable with Ingram as a #1 option. I definitely am not.

You see straight line drive. I see a guy who can cross over and put an elbow jumper. I see a guy who can reverse it with his off hand. I see a guy with a spin move and finger rolls it. I also see a guy with a work ethic and most likely evolve if he continue to work hard.

And the shot caller who has a better closer look saw it too.

So, you understand why I like Tatum, based on work ethic right?

Also, those are still very small moves compared to what is required to be a legit #1 option at the NBA level. We're just lucky that Ingram can get by because he has the physical tools to accent those skills.

I do understand why you like Tatum. He is also more polished than Ingram. But his physical tools is not intriguing. It's self limiting but who knows, work ethic will often surprised most even the so called experts.

We have different take on Ingram. He's not a finished product yet to me. He already has some stuffs that can make him a legit number 1 option and likes contacts to boot and he has not fully develop yet physically. His work ethic is also not in question.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:

D'Angelo Russell BPM : 11.7
Markelle Fultz BPM: 9.1
Lonzo Ball BPM: 12.2

Unfortunately, DAR's elite midrange NCAA shooting didn't translate to the NBA consistently.

FTr from 30% down to 22% from NCAA to college.

Also, BPM shouldn't be the lone indicator of NBA translatable success.

You'd think that Valentine, Delon Wright, and Oladipo would dominate the league.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/bpm-player-season.html

Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
I think Bynum was a better prospect

Not even close. Bynum didn't exactly have glowing basketball workouts. He was 20lbs. overweight, missing midrange jumpers, and was just athletic clay. The dude had a problem just spending so much time gathering up for dunks. He always brought the ball down until he finally got the strength.

By far, he was the riskiest guy in the Lakers drafted in the lottery with the most holes in his game.

Bynum became an all star. You also didn't address the rest of my post.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Despite all these perceived weaknesses, he elevated UCLA to one of the best offenses in the last decade. That shows that the summation of his strengths far exceed his weaknesses. I can't imagine how good his team will be if he fixes those weaknesses. People talk about fast-twitch athletes, Lonzo is a fast-twitch decision maker who makes the right play the vast majority of the time. If you are a believer in advanced stats offensively and defensively, then the future is really bright. Time will tell.
Mike@LG

Quote:
But his physical tools is not intriguing. It's self limiting but who knows, work ethic will often surprised most even the so called experts.

We have different take on Ingram. He's not a finished product yet to me. He already has some stuffs that can make him a legit number 1 option and likes contacts to boot and he has not fully develop yet physically. His work ethic is also not in question.

I think of it this way. If they were both in the draft and a person didn't have the advantage of hindsight, they would arguably be in the same draft spot.

Tatum is by far so ahead of Ingram across the board. We talk about Ingram at point forward at his whopping 2apg for Duke, yet Tatum did the same thing and has the Iso King narrative. In terms of skills, IMHO, it's not close.

Then there's Ingram who has age and physical tools to his advantage. It just depends on what is prioritized.

But when guys like Tatum line up similarly (as said on a Vecenie podcast with Cole) to Gordon Hayward, Paul Pierce, and Joe Johnson. I flat out want THAT guy.

LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

LINK

Fultz doesn't have a quick first step either. He just has better ball-handling and body control. I actually think they are comparable athletes. Fultz bigger hands and stronger frame at this point.

Watch the gear shift after he crosses half court on the first play. Another thing you notice is that he often dunks when his final dribble is outside of the three point line.

That is some AAU level defense.
Mike@LG

LakerLogic wrote:
Despite all these perceived weaknesses, he elevated UCLA to one of the best offenses in the last decade. That shows that the summation of his strengths far exceed his weaknesses. I can't imagine how good his team will be if he fixes those weaknesses. People talk about fast-twitch athletes, Lonzo is a fast-twitch decision maker who makes the right play the vast majority of the time. If you are a believer in advanced stats offensively and defensively, then the future is really bright. Time will tell.

And that's why he has a higher upside than the rest of the guys from #2 to #7. That doesn't mean he doesn't have a lot to work on, and IMHO, more than most compared to the other prospects. That's all.

Mike@LG

LakerLogic wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

LINK

That is some AAU level defense.

That's some NBA level athleticism at PG.

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Magic, Kidd, and Stockton never had "shake" either. He is efficient with his handle. Sure I'd like him to have Kobe's ball-handling but that is not always the most efficient for the offense.

I think he will improve but he will never be like the Professor.

1. Magic didn't need shake. PGs were even smaller back then, and Magic had a 56.5% FTr out of Michigan St.

2. Kidd was a different tier athlete. Attacked the basket often. 48%FTr

3. John Stockton was a pick and roll maestro. Lonzo Ball, currently, is not. Despite being considerably smaller, he was physical for a PG. 47%FTr.

Lonzo Ball is a guy that loves transition and likes playing in space. That's where his game thrives. He doesn't really bump guys when he drives. He doesn't have a great first step but has a high top speed, so he needs to go downhill to be aggressive at the hoop.

The point is you don't need shake. It's nice to have but sometimes makes you a less efficient player that stops ball movement. Just look at CP3. Even Kobe had that problem. LeBron, more efficient in his moves/movement, less shake on his dribble.

Ball has no reason to not have a higher FTr. Heck, Kevin Martin was great at getting to the line. I think it's more about how he has been trained and the style of play up to this point. That is all correctable.

My point is, those guys didn't need shake. They compensated in other ways that Lonzo Ball hasn't shown yet.

What's LeBron's FTr? 39.5% at the NBA level. That's ridiculously high.

Lonzo Ball at the NCAA level? 28.6%. He just doesn't draw FTs at a great rate.

On the flip side of things, I'd even argue that Kidd's and Stockton's lack of Iso ability/shake hindered their championship runs.

Magic, was the guy that could rely on his teammates, and ultimately, himself, if he had to, in order to get points.

Cannot say that of Kidd or Stockton, and I definitely think that lines up with Lonzo.

I always loved when we'd get down to crunch time (or "winning time" as Magic used to say), he'd become much more of a scorer, imposing his size on drives for And-1s or in the post with the baby hook.

Stockton had that in him, but was too unselfish. He was a killer shooter and was much better when he called his own number later in games. He just needed to step in more as a scorer than he wanted to. (Feel the same with CP3...when he looks to score more, he's better for his team).

I don't know where Ball will end up. I don't think he shies away from big shots and big moments. He's got a little dagger throwing in his DNA and is capable of being very dangerous (like in the last couple minutes of that Oregon comeback win...big drive for a score and a dagger three...that's how I see his potential there when the game bogs down). He won't be like an IT where you throw the ball to him possession after possession for scores, but if you need a couple of hoops whenever the game on the line? I think he's got that mentality and will be a threat.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

we still questioning fultz athleticism up in here
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
But his physical tools is not intriguing. It's self limiting but who knows, work ethic will often surprised most even the so called experts.

I think of it this way. If they were both in the draft and a person didn't have the advantage of hindsight, they would arguably be in the same draft spot.

Tatum is by far so ahead of Ingram across the board. We talk about Ingram at point forward at his whopping 2apg for Duke, yet Tatum did the same thing and has the Iso King narrative. In terms of skills, IMHO, it's not close.

Then there's Ingram who has age and physical tools to his advantage. It just depends on what is prioritized.

But when guys like Tatum line up similarly (as said on a Vecenie podcast with Cole) to Gordon Hayward, Paul Pierce, and Joe Johnson. I flat out want THAT guy.

We shall see if Tatum skills will translate to the next level. I can tell you that he won't be the quicker or the stronger one like in college. If he has the physical tools then I can agree. I will pick Josh Jackson before him any day .
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

Plenty of shake there. He has it in him. The rest of that video shows plenty of athleticism.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I don't know where Ball will end up. I don't think he shies away from big shots and big moments. He's got a little dagger throwing in his DNA and is capable of being very dangerous (like in the last couple minutes of that Oregon comeback win...big drive for a score and a dagger three...that's how I see his potential there when the game bogs down). He won't be like an IT where you throw the ball to him possession after possession for scores, but if you need a couple of hoops whenever the game on the line? I think he's got that mentality and will be a threat.

I definitely agree that he steps up in big moments/games. I just have a concern about that skill level translating to the NBA.

One play that sticks out was against Oregon, the 2nd time around. Ball didn't really look like himself until Aaron Holiday gave some POA support, which helped open up the court.

But when UCLA needed a bucket, he backed up for space, and did 4-5 consecutive crossovers from a standstill, to just get a half step on his defender and accelerate to the hoop.

I don't think that move flies at the NBA level. I guess a part of me is disappointed in the idea that there's no go-to-guy yet, even with the #2 pick, and I'm not banking on PG13 until he officially signs.

Wings have become more important than traditional PGs in the modern NBA, and a lot of it has to do with IMHO, that level of shot creation/attack/iso scoring much more than the playmaking. The best combination of athleticism/ball-handling/shooting lies within guys that are 6'3" to 6'9" whether it's Curry, Kyrie, Klay, Durant, LeBron, Giannis, Wall, Beal, Westbrook, etc. We're not getting that guy in Lonzo, hoping Ingram gets there or land PG13 instead.

Really, outside of Wall and LeBron, we don't see elite passing/next level court vision dominating teams. It's the scoring ability.

We have to turn Lonzo into Klay as a threat.

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

LINK

Fultz is strange in that he's a smooth athlete with power. The last guy like that was Brandon Roy. Unlike Lonzo, Fultz has a lot of upper body strength (even more so now), so he's able to bump guys on his attack drives in a way that Lonzo hasn't shown for UCLA this season. Fultz has.

But in terms of post base, body control, verticality, and even finishing at the rim in some traffic? It's easily Fultz.

For sure. If both Lonzo and Fultz are going into the same traffic, Fultz is much more likely coming through that for something strong at the rim.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

Eh, I'm not even sure if we land PG13 that he's that guy.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
https://youtu.be/CFtbo2a2c5M?t=230

Plenty of shake there. He has it in him. The rest of that video shows plenty of athleticism.

That's not going to prove it to me. That's just crossover combinations and a straight line drive, like I said he already had.

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
https://youtu.be/CFtbo2a2c5M?t=230

Shhhhh. We're trying to keep it on the down low so Boston takes Fultz.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Eh, I'm not even sure if we land PG13 that he's that guy.

At least he's certainly more viable. Ideally, PG13 is a #2 guy. It makes you wonder who could be the #1 guy and carry the offense.

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
we still questioning fultz athleticism up in here

I dont think anyone should do that.
He just looks like a kid that shouldn't be athletic.
Looks are deceiving.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 777, 778, 779 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 778 of 1281
Jump to: