2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1271, 1272, 1273 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Quote:
Chad Ford's notes from the NBA Combine:

Utah's Kyle Kuzma also had a strong game, scoring 20 points, going 4-for-5 from 3-point territory, grabbing five boards and blocking a shot. He fared better than expected in the athletic testing, ranking fourth among all the players on Thursday at the shuttle run and showing off a 34-inch vertical.

He has solid size, length and reach for his position as well.

"I didn't really see Kuzma as much of a prospect before this," one GM said. "But he'll force us to go watch more tape. What he did today is exactly the thing we are asking 4s to do in our league now. I really liked him."

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19362621/2017-nba-draft-combine-chad-ford-prospects-rising-falling

I remember reading this last month and thinking he was worth a long look at 28. Love how we never heard anything about him after his workout.

Pelinka said they also went to his own agent workout or something. Along with our workout, and the combine... Said he was amazing in multiple workouts.

Nice to hear that. I need to watch Rob's presser.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject:

romeo wrote:
ooo sweet another tall 6'6 guard in dozier, 20yo with a nice wingspan. i like it, even with his flaws i appreciate the fo's desire to find a gem.

Yes- I love the fact they're trying to give themselves as many shots as possible at finding some gems. It's smart GM strategy.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject:

I've always liked Steve Kyler.

Steve Kyler‏
Verified account
 @stevekylerNBA 17s
17 seconds ago

More
Lakers new front office did really well with their first draft - they played market hard and were very tactical and agressive. Big change.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Steve Kyler‏
Verified account
 @stevekylerNBA 17s
17 seconds ago

More
Lakers new front office did really well with their first draft - they played market hard and were very tactical and agressive. Big change.

Pelinka took a big, proud breath of relief at his presser while saying they turned over every rock --- seemed like bigger trades too
4 picks in this draft is just spectacular
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Steve Kyler‏
Verified account
 @stevekylerNBA 17s
17 seconds ago

More

Pelinka took a big, proud breath of relief at his presser while saying they turned over every rock --- seemed like bigger trades too

I thought this novice front office doesn't know what it's doing? I know, I know: it's just the scouting department's work. Nothing to do with Magic or especially Pelinka, right?

In all seriousness, I think Pelinka is pulling the strings here. That trade of #28 for 30 and 42 has his fingerprints all over it. That was a New England Patriots-esque type of trade down that the prior regime simply never seemed to be able to pull off. We still got the guy we were going to take at #28 anyway, and essentially picked up a free prospect out of it at 42. I feel like Pelinka's creativity is going to pay off for us. This dude operates like a hawk and knows the business of basketball inside and out.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject:

Where's Mike?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject:

Eric Pincus‏
Verified account
 @EricPincus 38s
38 seconds ago

More
Lakers really did their due diligence, worked to see beyond the Lonzo Ball hype. In end decided there was substance in a unique prospect
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject:

Assuming we keep the picks, great job to the FO on the draft. Lots of versatile players who are heady and smart.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Highlights only! If I dont see their weaknesses then they can't be weak!
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject:

Anyone see the behind the scenes clip from the Laker war room? Luke's reaction when the pick was called in was.. interesting to say the least. As was the way Pelinka was staring at him. Not sure everyone is on the same page.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Anyone see the behind the scenes clip from the Laker war room? Luke's reaction when the pick was called in was.. interesting to say the least. As was the way Pelinka was staring at him. Not sure everyone is on the same page.

got a link? Luke sounded thrilled with Lonzo pre-draft. Maybe he wanted Jackson... sorry bud!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

video link : http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/teams/lakers/2017/06/23/1498198173113-war-room-phone-call-1492236/

I dunno maybe he's just nervous
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject:

Would people prefer Derrick White over Kuzma at #27? All the reports are saying it is a steal for the Spurs (again). Or people think we have enough guards on the rotation already (with Hart).
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
manlisten wrote:

video link : http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/teams/lakers/2017/06/23/1498198173113-war-room-phone-call-1492236/

Kinda weird right? It's not just me? I say that as someone who had the notion that Luke wanted Ball so it threw me off to see this. Just odd. Maybe he doesn't have as much input as he'd like.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject:

The reaction to the Laker draft from most pundits was very positive. Reactions to Kuzma were all over the place but Ball, Hart and Bryant were all in the A-B range from what I have seen.

Good job.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Steve Kyler‏
Verified account
 @stevekylerNBA 17s
17 seconds ago

More

I thought this novice front office doesn't know what it's doing? I know, I know: it's just the scouting department's work. Nothing to do with Magic or especially Pelinka, right?

In all seriousness, I think Pelinka is pulling the strings here. That trade of #28 for 30 and 42 has his fingerprints all over it. That was a New England Patriots-esque type of trade down that the prior regime simply never seemed to be able to pull off. We still got the guy we were going to take at #28 anyway, and essentially picked up a free prospect out of it at 42. I feel like Pelinka's creativity is going to pay off for us. This dude operates like a hawk and knows the business of basketball inside and out.

They squeezed allll the damn lemon juice out of that crappy DLo trade. ha

If Hart can be Shumpert+
T.Bryant can be 3/rim protect
Kuzma - playmaking 34%3pt, solid defense
I'll give them a complete pass on the DLo trade - so they have a chance. Time will tell
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I said the same during the draft in one of the threads.

All the haters want to say Magic this or Magic that as if Pelinka doesn't exist or isn't VERY heavily involved.

What we saw last night is a front office that is well connected around the league and looking under every rock. In other words, trying hard instead of being tired and complacent.

Much needed change, I am the most optimistic on the team that I have been in 5 years.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Kinda weird right? It's not just me? I say that as someone who had the notion that Luke wanted Ball so it threw me off to see this. Just odd. Maybe he doesn't have as much input as he'd like.

Ok no. He was happy as hell at the end. He was chilling during the call becuase he's the chill deep voiced Walton..

From day 1 he's been extremely pro Lonzo, and was so in post draft interviews as well. You can tell he's happy there at the end. You're overthinking this one. Look at the end
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

All the haters want to say Magic this or Magic that as if Pelinka doesn't exist or isn't VERY heavily involved.

What we saw last night is a front office that is well connected around the league and looking under every rock. In other words, trying hard instead of being tired and complacent.

Much needed change, I am the most optimistic on the team that I have been in 5 years.

As Pelinka said, they want 2 max in 2018. These moves are somewhat minor details. We will know by 2018 free agency whether these moves were genius or a failure. Too soon to tell.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject:

I really hope the Lakers can get a veteran PG to mentor Lonzo. Right now it's JC who isn't exactly mentor-type.

DLO suffered from a lack of veteran leadership last year. Lou? Swaggy? Deng?

What are some veteran PG 1 year options to fit that role? Lonzo like most 19 year olds will have his struggles, would be nice to have someone to help him. Livingston would be great, but probably wants a multi year deal.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I would whole heartedly disagree with this. Last year the front office worked out what seemed like every single prospect, twice. I legitimately feel like they had more workouts than any other team and it led to a solid draft. I was impressed with their level of dedication. They also took shots on guys like Upshaw and another undrafted forward whose name escapes me that ended up getting hurt before training camp. They certainly did their due diligence and weren't tired or complacent.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

The thing about a 6'9.5" player with some weight on him, playing SF - is the motor defensively it takes to run around the perimeter, followed up by sitting down in a stance and locking in ---- takes an great amount of mobility and motor
That, on the perimeter, was one of Kuzma's weaknesses
. That's why I don't like PF body types playing the wing - They get lazy defending out there long term

He's got some meat on him, and slightly more PF feet than SF feet, PF measurables - that's a modern 4..

Any chance he becomes more capable as a part time wing should he undergo a Randle-esque training transformation in order to meet Magic's BF% standard?
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Ok no. He was happy as hell at the end. He was chilling during the call becuase he's the chill deep voiced Walton..

From day 1 he's been extremely pro Lonzo, and was so in post draft interviews as well. You can tell he's happy there at the end. You're overthinking this one. Look at the end

Maybe you're probably right. It just struck me as kind of odd. Like I've never seen someone react like that to good news . Or maybe he was really high on Lonzo and selling him to the other guys and now he's like (bleep)..I hope I got this right. Nerves like you said.

Last edited by manlisten on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:08 am; edited 2 times in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I really hope the Lakers can get a veteran PG to mentor Lonzo. Right now it's JC who isn't exactly mentor-type.

DLO suffered from a lack of veteran leadership last year. Lou? Swaggy? Deng?

What are some veteran PG 1 year options to fit that role? Lonzo like most 19 year olds will have his struggles, would be nice to have someone to help him. Livingston would be great, but probably wants a multi year deal.

That is the problem, he would be the perfect guy but rightfully I am sure wants to get paid.

Other options that are probably still too expensive? Beverly maybe, Patty Mills, Shelvin Mack?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

The thing about a 6'9.5" player with some weight on him, playing SF - is the motor defensively it takes to run around the perimeter, followed up by sitting down in a stance and locking in ---- takes an great amount of mobility and motor
That, on the perimeter, was one of Kuzma's weaknesses
. That's why I don't like PF body types playing the wing - They get lazy defending out there long term

He's got some meat on him, and slightly more PF feet than SF feet, PF measurables - that's a modern 4..

Any chance he becomes more capable as a part time wing should he undergo a Randle-esque training transformation in order to meet Magic's BF% standard?

I also don't like how SFs close out on shooters quicker! So, I just can't..
He'll always have more PF feet than SF
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1271, 1272, 1273 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 1272 of 1281
Jump to: