2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
rough way to lose that game on the road for duke. taytum wide open in the corner on their last possession and grayson completely missed him

So that's kind of the insanity on judging a player on a final score. Was Tatum's game worse because Kennard missed at the end? Guy played out of his mind. It was his best game of the year.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
rough way to lose that game on the road for duke. taytum wide open in the corner on their last possession and grayson completely missed him

How did Lydon look to you? I haven't paid much attention to him this year, but he'll probably be in play around #27 if he declares.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

So that's kind of the insanity on judging a player on a final score. Was Tatum's game worse because Kennard missed at the end? Guy played out of his mind. It was his best game of the year.

Was kind of annoying to see them go away from Tatum as the game went on.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Mike@LG: Would you draft Wesley Iwundu with our 27th pick?

Not with other possible prospects like Mikal Bridges, Luke Kennard, Donovan Mitchell, Bruce Brown, etc., available.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

ESPN insider has us taking Donovan Mitchell at 27 (not sure if that's been posted yet)
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Who are some of the best pure athletes around the mid-late 20s pick range?

Ferguson
Adebayo
Blossomgame
Kobi Simmons
Alonzo Trier

Only Ferguson is the elite athlete.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Tatum is so good.

So good, that it makes me forget his 53% at the rim.

I think it's highly dependent on how he attempts to draw fouls at the rim, not a lack of athleticism.

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Tatum is so good.

I think it's highly dependent on how he attempts to draw fouls at the rim, not a lack of athleticism.

That and his turnovers took away from a really good game tonight.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Fultz is clearly the better prospect than Ball. I don't even like engaging in the discussion.

Then don't but that's not the case. Many respected scouts, coaches, executives etc would disagree. The arrogance Fultz fans have is becoming increasingly annoying though so feel free not to engage.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Wins matter because Fultz talent level hasn't resulted in wins so I'm humble enough to understand we are probably missing something about him

I don't think it's about being humble. How many elite HOFers haven't won championships?

That doesn't mean they aren't great players.

Even 04-05 Bryant won 35 games. That doesn't mean you're blaming Bryant, or that he is any less of a winner.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:
is this draft class truly better than the recent ones we've had? I'd say the 2014 draft class was really solid. how does this draft class compare?

Do we have a clear #1 like with Wiggins, Towns and Simmons?

Fultz. I keep looking for "What else can he do?" from other draft beatniks. Can't find an answer.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Tatum is so good.

I don't see him as a very explosive athlete, which is contributing to his difficulties finishing at the rim. Obviously he can work around that with craftiness and touch around the basket as he adjusts to taller and better athletes.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
OPMSm0k3r wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Idk why you continue to bring up Kobe so I'll ignore that. Wins matter because Fultz talent level hasn't resulted in wins so I'm humble enough to understand we are probably missing something about him. His team is bad but elite prospects usually carry their team to a few big wins. Washington has none. If you wanna play the switch teams game I will say this. Switch Ball and Fultz, Washington is better and UCLA is worse.

Beat me to it. Let's all just hope we keep our pick . Can we agree on that?

Lonzo Ball's game is predicated on space and pace. His best asset is his passing. But who on the Huskies is gonna help space the floor? Fultz is their best three-point shooter. Ball has three teammates shooting 43% or better from 3PT. Fultz has zero. Leaf, Alford, and Holiday would open up some ridiculous lanes for Fultz to drive and kick.

Those guys %s went up when they started playing with Ball. Crisp and Thybull aren't terrible shooters at all.

No. But they are pretty one-dimensional players.

AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Remember when Ingram had to be told to jump off one foot because Duke requires their players to jump off two? I wonder if Tatum wouldn't benefit from the same thing with his pterodactyl arms.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Tatum is so good.

I don't see him as a very explosive athlete, which is contributing to his difficulties finishing at the rim. Obviously he can work around that with craftiness and touch around the basket as he adjusts to taller and better athletes.

He's only an explosive player in space. Josh Jackson breaks that mold so he's 71% at the rim.

Becoming an explosive player in a crowd is something I think a player can develop, even if I think it's difficult to do.

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
OPMSm0k3r wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Idk why you continue to bring up Kobe so I'll ignore that. Wins matter because Fultz talent level hasn't resulted in wins so I'm humble enough to understand we are probably missing something about him. His team is bad but elite prospects usually carry their team to a few big wins. Washington has none. If you wanna play the switch teams game I will say this. Switch Ball and Fultz, Washington is better and UCLA is worse.

Lonzo Ball's game is predicated on space and pace. His best asset is his passing. But who on the Huskies is gonna help space the floor? Fultz is their best three-point shooter. Ball has three teammates shooting 43% or better from 3PT. Fultz has zero. Leaf, Alford, and Holiday would open up some ridiculous lanes for Fultz to drive and kick.

Those guys %s went up when they started playing with Ball. Crisp and Thybull aren't terrible shooters at all.

Crisp and Thybull improved, too.

Ball
3PT Before - 3PT After
Alford 36.7% - 46.1% -- Up 9.4%
Hamilton 41.9% - 43.4% -- Up 1.5%

Fultz
3PT Before - 3PT After
Crisp 30.2% - 39.2% -- Up 9%
Thybulle 36.6% - 37.7% -- Up 1.1%

TJ Leaf is a freshman (so no data for before/after) and the best shooter on either team. Fultz would kill for an NBA talent like that playing beside him.

I understand. At no point have I said Fultz is a bad player or bad prospect. I said he's top 4 but I wouldn't take him one and you guys act like I'm saying he's gonna be a bust. The Fultz obsession is getting completely out of hand.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
OPMSm0k3r wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Crisp and Thybull improved, too.

Ball
3PT Before - 3PT After
Alford 36.7% - 46.1% -- Up 9.4%
Hamilton 41.9% - 43.4% -- Up 1.5%

Fultz
3PT Before - 3PT After
Crisp 30.2% - 39.2% -- Up 9%
Thybulle 36.6% - 37.7% -- Up 1.1%

TJ Leaf is a freshman (so no data for before/after) and the best shooter on either team. Fultz would kill for an NBA talent like that playing beside him.

I understand. At no point have I said Fultz is a bad player or bad prospect. I said he's top 4 but I wouldn't take him one and you guys act like I'm saying he's gonna be a bust. The Fultz obsession is getting completely out of hand.

I'm not even obsessed with Fultz. I like Ball a ton. Michael Jordan dropped 28/6/6 his rookie year and the Bulls had a losing record. Team wins is a meaningless metric to assess individual talent.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
. The Fultz obsession is getting completely out of hand.

I don't think it's an obsession. I just don't think it makes sense.

If we try to look for flaws in Lonzo Ball's game, they appear more apparent than Fultz.

Even if you look at the "weaknesses" of Markelle Fultz on DX video, he actually improved at all of those things.

"Streaky shooter" - I think it's been VERY VERY obvious how consistent his shooting has been all season.

"Casual approach" - At least this part I understand, but it hasn't made him overtly TO prone or completely lazy on defense.

"Slashing vs. Elite D" - I think he's done an amazing job as a #1 option of Washington's offense and I could definitely pull up the same argument for Lonzo Ball.

The only time I understand the argument is at least some scouts are willing to say something along the lines of, "I think Lonzo Ball's passing and courtvision are so outlier (or great), that it compensates for perceived weaknesses."

That makes sense. But saying that everyone is "missing some flaw in Markelle Fultz"? I can't buy, because no one can definitely find that one major hole, outside of, Fultz doesn't have UCLA around him.

What makes the whole thing crazy is, I think Lonzo doesn't get as many wins for Washington, but I think Fultz would have a worse record at the NCAA level, but better in the tournament, because he has better/more half court skills.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Tatum is so good.

He's only an explosive player in space. Josh Jackson breaks that mold so he's 71% at the rim.

Becoming an explosive player in a crowd is something I think a player can develop, even if I think it's difficult to do.

Interesting, I buy it. But any examples come to mind?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Tatum is so good.

Interesting, I buy it. But any examples come to mind?

Actually, it's very difficult to find certain players that dunk on a drive from a halfcourt set or in Isolation. But, if there's a stat to follow, it's increasing FT rate with also increased 2pt attempts from the field, preferably with a larger percentage of shots 3' or less.

One Laker that really sticks out is Andrew Bynum.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Tatum vid.

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Tatum's shooting is really fun to watch.

He's becoming a huge exception to most Duke players.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Tatum's shooting is really fun to watch.

He's becoming a huge exception to most Duke players.

If we didn't know his scouting report, he would really just look like a shooter from that vid.

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

My thoughts on some of the top prospects in picture/video form:

Markelle Fultz: https://media.tenor.co/images/c2e70f3aefc73f5274bfc98bc9bb17cc/raw

Jayson Tatum: http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/vqGeMsr.gif

Josh Jackson:

Lonzo Ball: http://invisioncommunity.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/RISK-LOGO_EMEA.png

Dennis Smith: https://media.giphy.com/media/RkZqtCBhVh17y/giphy.gif
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
My thoughts on some of the top prospects in picture/video form:

Markelle Fultz: https://media.tenor.co/images/c2e70f3aefc73f5274bfc98bc9bb17cc/raw

Jayson Tatum: http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/vqGeMsr.gif

Josh Jackson:

Lonzo Ball: http://invisioncommunity.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/RISK-LOGO_EMEA.png

Dennis Smith: https://media.giphy.com/media/RkZqtCBhVh17y/giphy.gif

this is vv solid analysis tbh guise
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 165 of 1281
Jump to: