2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 321, 322, 323 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
CALEB SWANIGAN might be available around the 26-30 range.. He would be a great pick @ the #28 spot.

6'9.. 245lbs with a 7'3.5 wingspan.
Plus would give us a good young PF prospect if Randle gets traded this summer.

Too slow and can't swat but he would be a fine back up C. Pick and pops and rebounds.

Swanigan has a better offensive game than Randle today and is a more consistent rebounder. He reminds me of a better shooting Z-Bo at the same age. Would be a steal at 28.

I disagree. Randolph was lighter on his feet, much softer touch around the painted area. I really can't imagine Swanigan playing PF next level.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Ball looks like a very capable defender to me. I am concerned about his shooting form, which looks broken (and would be much more criticized if he wasn't shooting the 3 at a 40% clip). I have NEVER seen him pull up for a jumper after going right. Granted, every player has their favorite spots on the floor, but Ball seems unable to shoot effectively while going to the right because of his form.

I would be more concerned about Ball's release point if he wasn't a pass-first PG with elite passing skills. If he were a primary source of offense, then his ability to get his shot off with efficiency would be more of a problem. As he seems to shoot mostly as a complement to the rest of the offense - to open up the floor - I don't think it will be a problem.

Johnson and Kidd also had uninspiring shooting strokes, but since the shots went in and they were looking to pass anyway, they managed to be very effective.

Magic and Kidd got to the FT line. Kidd a 60%FTr, Magic, 65%FTr. Lonzo Ball 28%.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/840449178832535552

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Ball looks like a very capable defender to me. I am concerned about his shooting form, which looks broken (and would be much more criticized if he wasn't shooting the 3 at a 40% clip). I have NEVER seen him pull up for a jumper after going right. Granted, every player has their favorite spots on the floor, but Ball seems unable to shoot effectively while going to the right because of his form.

I would be more concerned about Ball's release point if he wasn't a pass-first PG with elite passing skills. If he were a primary source of offense, then his ability to get his shot off with efficiency would be more of a problem. As he seems to shoot mostly as a complement to the rest of the offense - to open up the floor - I don't think it will be a problem.

Johnson and Kidd also had uninspiring shooting strokes, but since the shots went in and they were looking to pass anyway, they managed to be very effective.

Magic and Kidd got to the FT line. Kidd a 60%FTr, Magic, 65%FTr. Lonzo Ball 28%.

yeah, one of the bigger issues i have with lonzo (midrange and pnr ballhandler being the other two, though recently pnr has become one of the least efficient plays in the NBA). he stresses the defense in one way by pulling defenders out to 30 feet as well as moving the ball quickly side to side, but he doesn't stress it in terms of drive and kick. on a team that already lacks any sort of ability to penetrate and force rotations, that could be a killer. i want someone on our team who is able to create offense other than dlo and i think fultz is better at that in the half court than ball.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

yeah, one of the bigger issues i have with lonzo (midrange and pnr ballhandler being the other two, though recently pnr has become one of the least efficient plays in the NBA). he stresses the defense in one way by pulling defenders out to 30 feet as well as moving the ball quickly side to side, but he doesn't stress it in terms of drive and kick. on a team that already lacks any sort of ability to penetrate and force rotations, that could be a killer. i want someone on our team who is able to create offense other than dlo and i think fultz is better at that in the half court than ball.

Agreed. I LOVE watching UCLA, but a lot of the time, I see a lot of advance passes, where he's getting Alford, Holiday, Leaf, etc., opportunities to create their own shots within early offense. That's not drive and kick. When I do see Lonzo attack, it's a basic cross over and a straight drive, or just a straight drive. No advanced ball-handling.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Ingram's looking much better on iso drives, though.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Caleb Swanigan, not bad.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
Caleb Swanigan, not bad.

He looks extra slow out there with the KU athletes. Maybe he can be Mo Speights?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject:

We just don't have an athlete like Josh Jackson on this team. The guy is everywhere. I'm so impressed with him whenever I watch Kansas. He makes Ingram look like he is running in quicksand.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Josh Jackson has as much "functional athleticism" as I have seen in a long time from a young college guy.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
bandiger wrote:
Caleb Swanigan, not bad.

He looks extra slow out there with the KU athletes. Maybe he can be Mo Speights?

He's not a chucker and I think he has better court awareness and he's a good passer. He would give us another slow-footed big, though. But I think he can have a nice career.
Black Sheep
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Jackson can play..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

JJ with the help defense and comes up with his 4th steal.

I dunno folks, I just think he's going to be really good. Of course, he's not a perfect prospect, and those that point out the free throw % have legitimate reasons for worry. I just have a good feeling with him, even if he's not a great 3-point shooter in the NBA. I think he can create offense inside the 3-point line, and can get easy buckets, and think he will be a plus on the defensive end. Squarely in play for me if we keep the pick.

This draft is better than last year's by a mile. So much deeper.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Ingram's looking much better on iso drives, though.

Ingram was a stud Iso player at the end of last year with Duke.

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Would you not say Ingram has shown strides (pun intended) in being that guy though? Ingram has shown ridiculous capability at getting to and finishing at the basket as a rail thin, 185 lb rookie. I envision as his jumper comes around, he'll be even more dangerous in the high post, where he's like one step away with his giant strides from the basket. Obviously it's not there yet, but I can see it there in about 2 years.

Last edited by tox on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

ChickenStu wrote:
We just don't have an athlete like Josh Jackson on this team. The guy is everywhere. I'm so impressed with him whenever I watch Kansas. He makes Ingram look like he is running in quicksand.

He has an overtly competitive attitude that this team is lacking (and that Luke is looking for personality wise). I mean, this guy trash talked Gary Payton, lol. Of course it gets him in trouble off court too.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

ChickenStu wrote:
bandiger wrote:
Caleb Swanigan, not bad.

He's not a chucker and I think he has better court awareness and he's a good passer. He would give us another slow-footed big, though. But I think he can have a nice career.

He can pass, but also turns it over a lot when he gets sped up. I think we're in agreement - the Lakers probably shouldn't pick guys who make them slower.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

nice step back 3 by JoJax
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Josh Jackson has as much "functional athleticism" as I have seen in a long time from a young college guy.

He's impressive.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Jackson just blocked a PG's shot by simply standing up with 2 arms in the air. Impressive to not overreact and jump and maybe get called for a foul. He recognized it perfectly.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I dunno folks, I just think he's going to be really good. Of course, he's not a perfect prospect, and those that point out the free throw % have legitimate reasons for worry. I just have a good feeling with him, even if he's not a great 3-point shooter in the NBA. I think he can create offense inside the 3-point line, and can get easy buckets, and think he will be a plus on the defensive end. Squarely in play for me if we keep the pick.

I think his shot-making will come around in the pros, but Kaiser Lindemann had a great point that Jackson without a better jumper and reduced turnovers isn't much different from energy defensive wings who can be found later in the draft. Charlotte could've drafted Jae Crowder in the second round instead of MKG at #2, for instance.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Frank Mason is going to be Isaiah Thomas like...maybe?
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

I would buy a 2nd rounder and take a flier on Mason
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I think his shot-making will come around in the pros, but Kaiser Lindemann had a great point that Jackson without a better jumper and reduced turnovers isn't much different from energy defensive wings who can be found later in the draft. Charlotte could've drafted Jae Crowder in the second round instead of MKG at #2, for instance.

I don't agree with this. He's not being used in a manner that lets him showcase his full range of skills, similar to how Randle was only allowed to do certain things at Kentucky. With the more open court in the NBA you'll see him advancing the ball a lot as a primary ball handler and getting ball screens to playmake off of.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
I would buy a 2nd rounder and take a flier on Mason

I am not a big fan, but he strikes me as one of those guys that feeds off of people telling him on what he can't do.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

I think if we drafted Josh Jackson and Sindarius Thornwell, they fill on so many gaps of what this team is missing in defense and toughness while being excellent scorers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 321, 322, 323 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 322 of 1281
Jump to: