2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
The reason Ferguson would be high on the priorities list is because he is not a top 3 pick like Ball will be. Lonzo ball would require us sucking tremendously for the rest of the year, or getting EXTREMELY lucky with the lotto balls.

Much rather a guy like Ferguson who is a diamond in the ruff kind of talent and player that will be around at 17-22 and we could obtain the pick in that area. So that would be the much more preferred frame of thought as opposed to "lets suck again for Lonzo".

Ferg is also a fit next to Russell if we go that route, he also, like Lonzo is 6'7 and has crazy athleticism and a deadly jumper.

The difference is, Ferguson was likely to be a top 10 pick had he went to Arizona, his stock dropped because he went to the Australian league and he has been under the radar because of that so his stock has dropped a bit. THAT is why he'd be available at 17-22 because if he was at Arizona right now he'd be getting all the attention that came with it and likely be considered a top 10 pick.

So that's why Terrence Ferguson is a higher possibility over Ball and doesn't require a "tanking" mentality to get.

Besides, if we got a top 3 pick in this draft, and the only way I'd accept it would be if we had barely missed the playoffs and somehow the lotto balls bounced in our favor.

I would probably if we got a top 3 pick, offer to trade it and Clarkson to Utah for Rodney Hood and their late 1st round pick.

Then with that late first round pick I'd draft Terrence Ferguson with it.

At that point in free agency, we do whatever is necessary to sign Patty Mills to be our backup 1. If we don't land him, we just move Lou to backup combo guard and that's fine.

Then we go into next season looking like this

D'Angelo Russell
Rodney Hood
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
Timofey Mozgov

Bench:
Lou Williams
Nick Young / Terrence Ferguson
Luol Deng
Larry Nance Jr
Ivica Zubac / Tarik Black

Also, underrated signing I feel we should make and shouldn't cost us too much. Sign Andre Igoudala. He will be 33 but his skills are at the point that he won't cost a hefty amount but he still has 'something' in the tank, even if it's little. Anyway, bring him in as a veteran voice alongside Deng because we at that point would HOPEFULLY have convinced Metta to join the coaching staff and he'll accept he's done as a player.

Igoudala already has a relationship with Ingram and because of Luke, has been teaching him some things as well defensively, along with Deng and Metta.

Iggy is also your insurance in terms of a veteran presence, in case you do decide to move Deng if his play hasn't picked up by then (and by year 2 you'd have a general idea if it is or not).

So to me that setup would be ideal IF we landed a top 3 pick by sheer luck of lotto balls after we had a 35+ win season prior.

Regardless if we did or not, drafting Ferguson and going after Mills and Igoudala in free agency would be ideal regardless. Gordon Hayward will be our target as well but his willingness depends on if we finish better than Utah.

Two questions.
1. How much are you willing to pay Iguodala with that role? 10m?

2. I like the lineup. But if Ferguson is that good, why would you acquire Hood? Assuming your plan is to give Hood contract extension in 2018 which means all the positions are locked for the next 4 years (not including the center position).I feel like top 3 pick + Clarkson can give us a better deal than Hood + late 1st round pick especially when I don't think Jazz will give Hood an extension in 2018 if they resign both Hill and Hayward in 2017.

1) For that role? I don't think Iggy gets more than he's making this year. He currently makes 12M. he probably could be had for 5-8M after this span with the Warriors if his play continues as it has. Going off the season he's had thus far though, I'd say 10 is the max he'd get.

2) I'd only do the Hood deal if we somehow landed a top 3 pick by lotto ball luck. In general I'd do the deal because I'd expect Hood to have an impact sooner and it saves us from having to go after Hayward as Hood would fit right in. I'd keep Ferguson around because I'd have him be the guy that replaces Nick Young off the bench in the 6th man role once his contract is up the following year.

Imagine a bench squad of Ferguson and Nance Jr on the fast break, and as Ferguson is 19 years old at the time of the draft, in 4 years he'll be 23 and we'd have a fairly good idea just how good the kid is, or whether or not he's gonna surpass Hood or not.

It's more of a 'getting talent that's already there and proven while you foster the growth of another talent with a potentially higher upside and seeing if they have surpassed them once they reach that point. It's similar to the kind of strategy the Lakers implemented when they had Eddie Jones but got Kobe Bryant anyway, in about 3-4 years time we had an idea what we had with Eddie and his ceiling, and we decided Kobe's was higher so we stuck with that. In NO WAY am I comparing Terrance to Kobe Bryant, I'm just saying the strategy is similar, and we benefited from Eddie in those years while Kobe grew, and our team remained a respectable playoff team during that span as well, which helped.

The truth is, during those 3-4 years of growth for Ferguson, we'd already have Hood producing in a fitting role with Russell, Randle and Ingram as he grew, so we benefit from that as well.

I hope that all came across right.

Essentially going into the 2018 off-season, our lineup looks like this.

D'Angelo Russell (Age 22)
Rodney Hood (Age 26)
Brandon Ingram ( Age 21)
Julius Randle (Age 23)
Timofey Mozgov (Age 32)

Bench:
Lou Williams (Age 32)
Terrence Ferguson (Age 20)
Luol Deng(unless he's moved) (Age 33) / Andre Igoudala (age 34)
Larry Nance Jr. (Age 25)
Ivica Zubac (Age 21)

So all and all we'd still be a pretty young team, with Ferguson about 2 years away at this point from who he could be, we likely extend Rodney Hood here and we have him for 4 seasons, if Ferguson though starts to seem to be the higher upside around year 2 or 3, we have a trade piece in Hood, depending on where our team is.

All and all 7 kids in their young 20s, and 2 vets in their low 30s, 2 in their near mid 30s.

Given the hopeful growth of Russell, Ingram and Randle by this point, we'd be a consistent playoff team.

In the 2018 off-season, Deng can be moved, if he hasn't been already. We essentially could afford to do so, because of the presence of Iggy and the relationship he already has with Ingram. So if Deng hasn't shaped up, both him and Mozgov would be movable. But Mozgov is moved ONLY if we were landing a big fish, such as a Cousins or so.

Now THAT was the scenario if we somehow landed the top 3 pick despite being a 35+ win team the season before.

The real scenario is more so, getting the late first and drafting Ferguson with it, and hoping we finished with a better record than Utah so we would try to entice Hayward to join and going after Patty Mills for backup 1.

Not nearly as exciting but that's the gist

And as far as potentially getting more for a top 3 pick than Hood and the Jazz's mid-late 1st round pick. I dunno really, cause in this draft no one really looks 'transcendent' enough to warrant a "Star" player from another team. I guess if we were feeling risky enough and were offering the pick + Clarkson we could probably land Exum along with Hood. I don't think that however the pick in and of itself alone could land us Hood, but hey if it could, that's even better for us

Hope I got all that across right, tired today X_X
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
I really like Terrence Ferguson at shooting guard. I hope we can buy a first round pick to get him.

agreed. 6'7 shooting guard with lethal shooting, crazy athleticism, wants to play defense and in Luke's system? yeah. Could fall to the 18-22nd pick because he went overseas to play instead of college? Yeah.

Senior Vids:

First game Overseas:

Scary ending. Luckily there was no injury and he's fine.

Recent In Game Dunk(like 2 days ago)

here's a nice tidbit about the Australian league in comparison to the CBA (which the Mudiay hype came from a few seasons ago)

Quote:

Only the top Euro teams have better money. China does have more money, but the competition is awful. To put it in perspective the team Ferguson is playing for (Adelaide) played a 3 game series versus Shandong (Michael Beasley's former team) in the pre-season. Adelaide won all 3 games by an average of 80 points, and it was so lop-sided that they stopped counting personal fouls for Shandong so that everyone didn't foul out. In fact they reset the scoreboard to 0-0 at the start of every quarter to try to keep it somewhat competitive.

So if you're looking for the Mitch Kupchak/Ryan West special at pick 18-22, I think it's this kid. I especially love the potential of his fit in Luke's system. He's called "2K" for a reason.

In the past I'd have said that special pick a few seasons ago would have been Caris Levert had he declared and not gotten re-injured. While Ferguson isn't LeVert because LeVert had that special kind of change and direction that marks a potential top end scorer in the league, Ferguson has the base, with his shot, athleticism and defense to be more of a "What Terrance Ross should have been." type. I do not mind having that as a 2 in Luke's system, getting wide open threes and cuts to the basket while Russell, Ingram and Randle do the ball handling.

This is exactly what I was thinking....
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
The reason Ferguson would be high on the priorities list is because he is not a top 3 pick like Ball will be. Lonzo ball would require us sucking tremendously for the rest of the year, or getting EXTREMELY lucky with the lotto balls.

Much rather a guy like Ferguson who is a diamond in the ruff kind of talent and player that will be around at 17-22 and we could obtain the pick in that area. So that would be the much more preferred frame of thought as opposed to "lets suck again for Lonzo".

Ferg is also a fit next to Russell if we go that route, he also, like Lonzo is 6'7 and has crazy athleticism and a deadly jumper.

The difference is, Ferguson was likely to be a top 10 pick had he went to Arizona, his stock dropped because he went to the Australian league and he has been under the radar because of that so his stock has dropped a bit. THAT is why he'd be available at 17-22 because if he was at Arizona right now he'd be getting all the attention that came with it and likely be considered a top 10 pick.

So that's why Terrence Ferguson is a higher possibility over Ball and doesn't require a "tanking" mentality to get.

Besides, if we got a top 3 pick in this draft, and the only way I'd accept it would be if we had barely missed the playoffs and somehow the lotto balls bounced in our favor.

I would probably if we got a top 3 pick, offer to trade it and Clarkson to Utah for Rodney Hood and their late 1st round pick.

Then with that late first round pick I'd draft Terrence Ferguson with it.

At that point in free agency, we do whatever is necessary to sign Patty Mills to be our backup 1. If we don't land him, we just move Lou to backup combo guard and that's fine.

Then we go into next season looking like this

D'Angelo Russell
Rodney Hood
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
Timofey Mozgov

Bench:
Lou Williams
Nick Young / Terrence Ferguson
Luol Deng
Larry Nance Jr
Ivica Zubac / Tarik Black

Also, underrated signing I feel we should make and shouldn't cost us too much. Sign Andre Igoudala. He will be 33 but his skills are at the point that he won't cost a hefty amount but he still has 'something' in the tank, even if it's little. Anyway, bring him in as a veteran voice alongside Deng because we at that point would HOPEFULLY have convinced Metta to join the coaching staff and he'll accept he's done as a player.

Igoudala already has a relationship with Ingram and because of Luke, has been teaching him some things as well defensively, along with Deng and Metta.

Iggy is also your insurance in terms of a veteran presence, in case you do decide to move Deng if his play hasn't picked up by then (and by year 2 you'd have a general idea if it is or not).

So to me that setup would be ideal IF we landed a top 3 pick by sheer luck of lotto balls after we had a 35+ win season prior.

Regardless if we did or not, drafting Ferguson and going after Mills and Igoudala in free agency would be ideal regardless. Gordon Hayward will be our target as well but his willingness depends on if we finish better than Utah.

Two questions.

2. I like the lineup. But if Ferguson is that good, why would you acquire Hood? Assuming your plan is to give Hood contract extension in 2018 which means all the positions are locked for the next 4 years (not including the center position).I feel like top 3 pick + Clarkson can give us a better deal than Hood + late 1st round pick especially when I don't think Jazz will give Hood an extension in 2018 if they resign both Hill and Hayward in 2017.

1) For that role? I don't think Iggy gets more than he's making this year. He currently makes 12M. he probably could be had for 5-8M after this span with the Warriors if his play continues as it has. Going off the season he's had thus far though, I'd say 10 is the max he'd get.

2) I'd only do the Hood deal if we somehow landed a top 3 pick by lotto ball luck. In general I'd do the deal because I'd expect Hood to have an impact sooner and it saves us from having to go after Hayward as Hood would fit right in. I'd keep Ferguson around because I'd have him be the guy that replaces Nick Young off the bench in the 6th man role once his contract is up the following year.

Imagine a bench squad of Ferguson and Nance Jr on the fast break, and as Ferguson is 19 years old at the time of the draft, in 4 years he'll be 23 and we'd have a fairly good idea just how good the kid is, or whether or not he's gonna surpass Hood or not.

It's more of a 'getting talent that's already there and proven while you foster the growth of another talent with a potentially higher upside and seeing if they have surpassed them once they reach that point. It's similar to the kind of strategy the Lakers implemented when they had Eddie Jones but got Kobe Bryant anyway, in about 3-4 years time we had an idea what we had with Eddie and his ceiling, and we decided Kobe's was higher so we stuck with that. In NO WAY am I comparing Terrance to Kobe Bryant, I'm just saying the strategy is similar, and we benefited from Eddie in those years while Kobe grew, and our team remained a respectable playoff team during that span as well, which helped.

The truth is, during those 3-4 years of growth for Ferguson, we'd already have Hood producing in a fitting role with Russell, Randle and Ingram as he grew, so we benefit from that as well.

Rodney Hood (Age 26)
Brandon Ingram ( Age 21)
Julius Randle (Age 23)
Timofey Mozgov (Age 32)

Bench:
Lou Williams (Age 32)
Larry Nance Jr. (Age 25)
Ivica Zubac (Age 21)

So all and all we'd still be a pretty young team, with Ferguson about 2 years away at this point from who he could be, we likely extend Rodney Hood here and we have him for 4 seasons, if Ferguson though starts to seem to be the higher upside around year 2 or 3, we have a trade piece in Hood, depending on where our team is.

All and all 7 kids in their young 20s, and 2 vets in their low 30s, 2 in their near mid 30s.

Given the hopeful growth of Russell, Ingram and Randle by this point, we'd be a consistent playoff team.

In the 2018 off-season, Deng can be moved, if he hasn't been already. We essentially could afford to do so, because of the presence of Iggy and the relationship he already has with Ingram. So if Deng hasn't shaped up, both him and Mozgov would be movable. But Mozgov is moved ONLY if we were landing a big fish, such as a Cousins or so.

Now THAT was the scenario if we somehow landed the top 3 pick despite being a 35+ win team the season before.

The real scenario is more so, getting the late first and drafting Ferguson with it, and hoping we finished with a better record than Utah so we would try to entice Hayward to join and going after Patty Mills for backup 1.

And as far as potentially getting more for a top 3 pick than Hood and the Jazz's mid-late 1st round pick. I dunno really, cause in this draft no one really looks 'transcendent' enough to warrant a "Star" player from another team. I guess if we were feeling risky enough and were offering the pick + Clarkson we could probably land Exum along with Hood. I don't think that however the pick in and of itself alone could land us Hood, but hey if it could, that's even better for us

Very good analysis!!! thanks!
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Two questions.

Rodney Hood (Age 26)
Brandon Ingram ( Age 21)
Julius Randle (Age 23)
Timofey Mozgov (Age 32)

Bench:
Lou Williams (Age 32)
Larry Nance Jr. (Age 25)
Ivica Zubac (Age 21)

1. Warriors don't have the cap space to sign free agents to replace Iguodala so I guess we need to overpay to persuade Iguodala leaving a championship calibre team. So 10m is about right but probably more than 1 year. I would only consider Iguodala if Deng is out though.

2. I can see you are very hype about Ferguson but don't you think the top 3 pick can help us landing a prospect with a higher ceiling? I mean we could keep that player and Clarkson then offer max contract to Hood in 2018, which I doubt Jazz would match. If Ferguson is that good, I doubt he will still be available at non-lottery pick. So potentially we could lose the top 3 pick and clarkson for Hood plus somone else, not Ferguson.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Two questions.

Rodney Hood (Age 26)
Brandon Ingram ( Age 21)
Julius Randle (Age 23)
Timofey Mozgov (Age 32)

Bench:
Lou Williams (Age 32)
Larry Nance Jr. (Age 25)
Ivica Zubac (Age 21)

1. Warriors don't have the cap space to sign free agents to replace Iguodala so I guess we need to overpay to persuade Iguodala leaving a championship calibre team. So 10m is about right but probably more than 1 year. I would only consider Iguodala if Deng is out though.

2. I can see you are very hype about Ferguson but don't you think the top 3 pick can help us landing a prospect with a higher ceiling? I mean we could keep that player and Clarkson then offer max contract to Hood in 2018, which I doubt Jazz would match. If Ferguson is that good, I doubt he will still be available at non-lottery pick. So potentially we could lose the top 3 pick and clarkson for Hood plus somone else, not Ferguson.

1. That depends on whether or not they believe in the growth of Looney as well as some of their other young talent developing on the bench.

Looking at their bench

Patrick McCaw
Ian Clark
Kevon Looney
Damian Jones

Those are the kind of young talents that could help, and make them try to decipher how much they need or are willing to pay Iggy as well. He probably would join them for a bargain. So you're right we'd have to likely pay about 10M to get him to come from Golden State.

2) If you think that the pick would be valuable enough to land us a higher ceiling prospect, then would you assume that the pick in and of itself without needing to get rid of Clarkson would be able to net us Hood and the Jazz's late 1st pick just on it's own?

Because if the top 3 pick could net us Hood + The Jazz's mid-late 1st round pick that would probably be the ideal scenario. Because it keeps JC the 6th man and gives us a starting 2 guard in Hood that essentially checks off the marks of what we need at the starting 2 position right now while also keeping Clarkson as the backup 1.

When I think about who I'd like to see as the role player shooting guard getting wide open threes next to the core of Russell, Ingram and Randle, of the active attainable players that are already in a way proven, aside from Gordon Hayward, I'd say that Hood checks the boxes. Aside from someone like Andrew Wiggins, but Minni ain't parting with him, even if it meant adding Harry Giles or Josh Jackson.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Two questions.

Rodney Hood (Age 26)
Brandon Ingram ( Age 21)
Julius Randle (Age 23)
Timofey Mozgov (Age 32)

Bench:
Lou Williams (Age 32)
Larry Nance Jr. (Age 25)
Ivica Zubac (Age 21)

1. That depends on whether or not they believe in the growth of Looney as well as some of their other young talent developing on the bench.

Looking at their bench

Patrick McCaw
Ian Clark
Kevon Looney
Damian Jones

Those are the kind of young talents that could help, and make them try to decipher how much they need or are willing to pay Iggy as well. He probably would join them for a bargain. So you're right we'd have to likely pay about 10M to get him to come from Golden State.

2) If you think that the pick would be valuable enough to land us a higher ceiling prospect, then would you assume that the pick in and of itself without needing to get rid of Clarkson would be able to net us Hood and the Jazz's late 1st pick just on it's own?

Because if the top 3 pick could net us Hood + The Jazz's mid-late 1st round pick that would probably be the ideal scenario. Because it keeps JC the 6th man and gives us a starting 2 guard in Hood that essentially checks off the marks of what we need at the starting 2 position right now while also keeping Clarkson as the backup 1.

When I think about who I'd like to see as the role player shooting guard getting wide open threes next to the core of Russell, Ingram and Randle, of the active attainable players that are already in a way proven, aside from Gordon Hayward, I'd say that Hood checks the boxes. Aside from someone like Andrew Wiggins, but Minni ain't parting with him, even if it meant adding Harry Giles or Josh Jackson.

Thanks for your explanation. I just feel the ideal situation would be to keep the top 3 pick and sign Hood in 2018, but I guess there's the possibility that Jazz would match it so it depends on how much you want Hood on this team.
Since you have mentioned Wiggins, I think another player who would match with our young core is Devin Booker.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject:

if we somehow got a top 3 pick, I'd take Lonzo Ball without a second thought. Lonzo/DLO starting with Clarkson off the bench would have our guard rotation set for a decade.

Lonzo and DLO can both play the one, but Lonzo probably has better vision and playmaking ability while DLO has the superior scoring ability. Plus Lonzo is 6'6 which is good size for either guard position.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Two questions.

Rodney Hood (Age 26)
Brandon Ingram ( Age 21)
Julius Randle (Age 23)
Timofey Mozgov (Age 32)

Bench:
Lou Williams (Age 32)
Larry Nance Jr. (Age 25)
Ivica Zubac (Age 21)

Looking at their bench

Patrick McCaw
Ian Clark
Kevon Looney
Damian Jones

Thanks for your explanation. I just feel the ideal situation would be to keep the top 3 pick and sign Hood in 2018, but I guess there's the possibility that Jazz would match it so it depends on how much you want Hood on this team.
Since you have mentioned Wiggins, I think another player who would match with our young core is Devin Booker.

People at that already proven 'could be star' level, I think would be a hard sell for the top 3 pick. People like Wiggins, or Booker, or Towns, or Simmons, or Embiid, I think would be hard sells for just the pick. Just as we wouldn't part with D'Angelo for a top 3 pick either.

So if we wouldn't part with D'Angelo for a top 3 pick, then we can't expect that teams would part with Booker, Simmons, or Wiggins, or Embiid for one.

But players like Hood, could be parted with and probably throw in a sweetener with it as well. Which is what makes it beneficial, because Hood is already established or establishing himself in a way. But in such a way where it wouldn't compromise how the core works, as In I think Hood will be good, but I don't think he will be a superstar that would cause a 4 way log jam of 'who does/gets what' between Russell, Ingram, Randle and them.

I think the 1-2-3 punch is going to be Russell, Randle and Ingram. At the 2 and the 5 we're looking for veterans or ideal role players in those positions. That's why Rodney Hood would fit. Devin Booker is one of the few 'up and coming star' that would fit too but Phoenix won't part with him for just the top 3 pick imo.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Two questions.

Rodney Hood (Age 26)
Brandon Ingram ( Age 21)
Julius Randle (Age 23)
Timofey Mozgov (Age 32)

Bench:
Lou Williams (Age 32)
Larry Nance Jr. (Age 25)
Ivica Zubac (Age 21)

Looking at their bench

Patrick McCaw
Ian Clark
Kevon Looney
Damian Jones

People at that already proven 'could be star' level, I think would be a hard sell for the top 3 pick. People like Wiggins, or Booker, or Towns, or Simmons, or Embiid, I think would be hard sells for just the pick. Just as we wouldn't part with D'Angelo for a top 3 pick either.

So if we wouldn't part with D'Angelo for a top 3 pick, then we can't expect that teams would part with Booker, Simmons, or Wiggins, or Embiid for one.

But players like Hood, could be parted with and probably throw in a sweetener with it as well. Which is what makes it beneficial, because Hood is already established or establishing himself in a way. But in such a way where it wouldn't compromise how the core works, as In I think Hood will be good, but I don't think he will be a superstar that would cause a 4 way log jam of 'who does/gets what' between Russell, Ingram, Randle and them.

I think the 1-2-3 punch is going to be Russell, Randle and Ingram. At the 2 and the 5 we're looking for veterans or ideal role players in those positions. That's why Rodney Hood would fit. Devin Booker is one of the few 'up and coming star' that would fit too but Phoenix won't part with him for just the top 3 pick imo.

You stated earlier you like Caris Levert. Caris has been resuming his basketball team workouts since November 21, 2016. Lakers will be hardpressed to make the playoffs this year.

Would you trade Jordan Clarkson for Caris Levert and maybe their 2016 2nd rounder on December 15? Brooklyn has been interested in Jordan Clarkson since June 2016.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Two questions.

Rodney Hood (Age 26)
Brandon Ingram ( Age 21)
Julius Randle (Age 23)
Timofey Mozgov (Age 32)

Bench:
Lou Williams (Age 32)
Larry Nance Jr. (Age 25)
Ivica Zubac (Age 21)

Looking at their bench

Patrick McCaw
Ian Clark
Kevon Looney
Damian Jones

You stated earlier you like Caris Levert. Caris has been resuming his basketball team workouts since November 21, 2016. Lakers will be hardpressed to make the playoffs this year.

Would you trade Jordan Clarkson for Caris Levert and maybe their 2016 2nd rounder on December 15? Brooklyn has been interested in Jordan Clarkson since June 2016.

I'd love to get Caris LeVert, however he's unproven + injury history would mean I'd think we wouldn't need to give up Clarkson to get him, and if they wanted Clarkson for him we'd have to pass on that.

Maybe if Caris got through a season or two healthy, that would be a different story. But right now we don't know how healthy he could be or if he can even maintain his healthiness at this level, so I wouldn't unload Clarkson for him. IF he proved he could be healthy then I'd do it for sure, but as of right now, no. Love Caris as a prospect and a talent and think he's a diamond, but he needs to play first and show he can remain healthy.

I don't have an issue with unproven, but it's the injury history that worries me.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I don't think any team would trade a young player with potential for a lottery pick, that would likely get a vet who is in a poor situation. Likely a guy who is the best player on a team that is going nowhere in a situation where that team would want to rebuild. I am not sure who that might be, when I get a chance I will look into it and see if I can come up with a couple of name.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
if we somehow got a top 3 pick, I'd take Lonzo Ball without a second thought. Lonzo/DLO starting with Clarkson off the bench would have our guard rotation set for a decade.

Lonzo and DLO can both play the one, but Lonzo probably has better vision and playmaking ability while DLO has the superior scoring ability. Plus Lonzo is 6'6 which is good size for either guard position.

I'm still not sure how well his game translates to the NBA level but I would take a chance on him regardless. That's a 3 guard rotation with the potential to be the best in the NBA in 5-6 years. Problem is we likely wont have a pick and it will be very expensive to get a pick high enough to get him.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Watching Lonzo against Nebraska... Was in foul trouble, but he seems to play smart. He's very aware.

Defense isn't great yet.
But athletic and smart are great traits to have.
Shot is ugly, but he's hitting 50% 3s for now.
His passing has a Simmons type of crispness.

I haven't seen the other guys mentioned play yet.
But not that it matters. I'm Bruin biased :p
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Here's some Terrence Ferguson from a few days ago

Full team Highlights

Terrence Ferguson Highlights (doesn't include his defensive plays)

Splash-A-Thon

He's number 6. He will have just turned 19 just before the draft next year.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Furguson has the physical profile to be a very good defender at the 2spot. Haven't watched him but you would think he might be quick enough to defend PGs when needed as well, ala Klay. Solid shooting stroke as well. Kid like that could go late-lotto.

Idk how we'd get a pick in the late teens to have the chance to draft him. Don't know if I'm down to break up the best bench in the league to draft him.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Furguson has the physical profile to be a very good defender at the 2spot. Haven't watched him but you would think he might be quick enough to defend PGs when needed as well, ala Klay. Solid shooting stroke as well. Kid like that could go late-lotto.

Idk how we'd get a pick in the late teens to have the chance to draft him. Don't know if I'm down to break up the best bench in the league to draft him.

He looks very Kelly Oubre-ish for better and worse.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Ya but he's a better athlete.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject:

More aggressive athlete than Oubre as well, with a bit more to his game, at least at its base offensively.

Which is a good thing. Though I think Oubre had the body, wingspan and potential to be what people hope Ingram will become, just not the handle. But he in general is in the wrong situation in Washington altogether.

One thing Ferguson does have on Oubre is his off the dribble game, which is basic, which was higher than Oubre's was at 18 and why he struggles at the next level. Still time though.

To me, Ferguson's upside is essentially a rich man's Terrance Ross aka what Terrance Ross should have been or was supposed to become. Which would actually be a pretty solid player and worth that kind of pick. I like that his post game that he's working on but what I like the most is his ability to come off screens and get that three off quickly with his release. That's the kind of stuff I like.

He has a good IQ about off ball movement and is already developed coming off the hop be it off a screen or on leak outs and has shown good off ball movement tendency for an 18 year old.

Again, it's the Australian League, but it's a much more 'competitive' league than the CBA is, as it beatdown the main CBA team by an average of 80 a game...

So it's a "real" scenario if an 18 year old kid playing against grown men whom are TRYING to be competitive. So that's what impresses me.

I'd rather see him in the NCAA yes, but if he was at Arizona he'd likely be penciled in as a top 10 pick. It's the fact he's overseas that his stock even dropped to where it has which makes him available to us.

Wingspan/body wise he's actually very close to Klay Thompson. He has a longer wingspan and is obviously more athletic, but in terms of measurements they're very similar, for whatever that's worth.

But as with all overseas play I try to see what will translate at the next level. His off ball movement, athleticism, and shot off screens are what get my attention. Because at it's most basic, he should be able to do that when he comes into the league.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
More aggressive athlete than Oubre as well, with a bit more to his game, at least at its base offensively.

Which is a good thing. Though I think Oubre had the body, wingspan and potential to be what people hope Ingram will become, just not the handle. But he in general is in the wrong situation in Washington altogether.

One thing Ferguson does have on Oubre is his off the dribble game, which is basic, which was higher than Oubre's was at 18 and why he struggles at the next level. Still time though.

To me, Ferguson's upside is essentially a rich man's Terrance Ross aka what Terrance Ross should have been or was supposed to become. Which would actually be a pretty solid player and worth that kind of pick. I like that his post game that he's working on but what I like the most is his ability to come off screens and get that three off quickly with his release. That's the kind of stuff I like.

He has a good IQ about off ball movement and is already developed coming off the hop be it off a screen or on leak outs and has shown good off ball movement tendency for an 18 year old.

Again, it's the Australian League, but it's a much more 'competitive' league than the CBA is, as it beatdown the main CBA team by an average of 80 a game...

So it's a "real" scenario if an 18 year old kid playing against grown men whom are TRYING to be competitive. So that's what impresses me.

I'd rather see him in the NCAA yes, but if he was at Arizona he'd likely be penciled in as a top 10 pick. It's the fact he's overseas that his stock even dropped to where it has which makes him available to us.

Wingspan/body wise he's actually very close to Klay Thompson. He has a longer wingspan and is obviously more athletic, but in terms of measurements they're very similar, for whatever that's worth.

But as with all overseas play I try to see what will translate at the next level. His off ball movement, athleticism, and shot off screens are what get my attention. Because at it's most basic, he should be able to do that when he comes into the league.

ah, didn't know he was decent off the dribble.
Terrance Ross did come to mind, but he's not a defender.
Oubre has a great wingspan, liked him late lotto, but he doesn't have the reach to think he'd be a lock to be an all-NBA defender. Ingram is in a league of his own in terms of physical attributes to be a great defender - he's a mobile Center out there essentially.

I want to look for what kind of quickness he has, leaping in traffic in the halfcourt, and ball handling. his jumper looks really good. So just in terms of a 3/D prospect, looks good, could be late lotto talent
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Ya but he's a better athlete.

And a way better shooter than Oubre has ever shown on any level
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
MJST wrote:

ah, didn't know he was decent off the dribble.
Terrance Ross did come to mind, but he's not a defender.
Oubre has a great wingspan, liked him late lotto, but he doesn't have the reach to think he'd be a lock to be an all-NBA defender. Ingram is in a league of his own in terms of physical attributes to be a great defender - he's a mobile Center out there essentially.

I want to look for what kind of quickness he has, leaping in traffic in the halfcourt, and ball handling. his jumper looks really good. So just in terms of a 3/D prospect, looks good, could be late lotto talent

yeah hopefully he has more highlights like this one

Will say that is one thing he does need to work on, in the half court where his athleticism shines, but that's a strength thing that Ingram also struggles with, however the reason I said I like him working on the post game is because he was mostly 3 and D in high school, wasn't a mid range killer though he could be it, definitely had the shot. He is taking more off the dribble from mid in the ASL which is good and I want to see him continue to work on it.

His handle is 'basic' more so than a strength, its further along than Oubre's was, and he could get a shot off with it, but he wasn't gonna shake and bake you.

He's to me a perfect role player for the kind of offense the Lakers run, as opposed to being the main star of a team that will take the other 4 guys and carry them to victory.

What is funny is that out of high school the scouting report on the guy said he would be a good system player but not a superstar that carries a team. I agree with that, and I think the system that could maximize his talents would be Luke's. He's the kind of kid San Antonio gets and you hate them because of it lol.

For what it's worth, here was a scouting report on him back in July

BA Comparison: James White/Terrence Ross
Strengths:
6’7 high flying and sharp shooting guard
Good size for a wing
Knock down three point shooter
Gets great elevation on his shot and can shoot from NBA range
Very effective in catch and shoot situations
Gets his feet set quickly and doesn’t have any wasted motion in his shot
Tremendous one foot leaper
Strong on ball defender
Very active and shows great commitment to the defensive end
Takes pride in guarding the opposing team’s best perimeter player
Very good team player
Highly unselfish, takes smart shots
Plays within the flow of the offense
Plays within himself, doesn’t force his offense or get discouraged if he’s not the one taking the shots.
Buys into the game plan and understands how the game should be played
Likable personality. Enjoys being on the court with his team

Weaknesses:
Although he has incredible athleticism, he rarely shows it in a game especially in a half court set.
Needs to get a lot stronger to make plays through contact
Lacks much in the way of a midrange game
Needs to improve as a ball handler and his playmaking ability
Doesn’t have much wiggle or creativity on offense
He’s a straight line driver and doesn’t break down the defense
Doesn’t have a wide variety to his scoring arsenal
Doesn’t provide much offensively if his shot isn’t falling
He plays well within the offense, but isn’t the type to put the team on his back and score in bunches in times of desperation
Can be passive at times.
While the majority of the time (in high school) he’s been both the best athlete and best shooter on the floor, he doesn’t always assert himself as the best player on the floor

That was in July. The strengths seem to scream every reason why he'd be the perfect fit in Luke's offense and role he'd be needed for. Thus far in the ASL he's shown to be working on his mid range, some 'basic' post work as well as trying to use his athleticism in the half court, both on off ball cuts, slashing and finishing through contact as well as tightening up some of his dribble skills. Still a straight line driver though.

Still has stuff to work on but he's the kind of first round steal that either Jerry/Ryan would get and you'd be like "who?" and then he shows out, or the late 1st round pick the Spurs get that you hate them 3 years later for having

If I find any full games I'll post them here so you can get more of a feel

P.S. He's a 5AM'er

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/sabteal94/kobe-bryant-o_zpsb961ef91.gif

Last edited by MJST on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:41 am; edited 4 times in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:

It's easy to say that, but I don't think Luke will think much of Lonzo's jumpshot. Dude shoots left to right.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:

It's easy to say that, but I don't think Luke will think much of Lonzo's jumpshot. Dude shoots left to right.

But does it go in?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:

But does it go in?

He shoots it like Kevin Martin, ugly and quick.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:

But does it go in?

He shoots it like Kevin Martin, ugly and quick.

But does it go in?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 6 of 1281
Jump to: