2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
I haven't really been blown away by anyone in this draft, yet. I don't see why it's considered so deep.

Agreed, outside of Fultz it seems like an average year. I guess it will be OK to finally cede our pick to the Process this year.

Mitch and Ryan should be able to work their magic with our second rounder.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because there looks like at least 8-10 prospects in this draft that I would have taken after Ingram and before Jaylen Brown in last year's mediocre draft (Fultz I rank on par with Ingram behind Simmons): Josh Jackson is a better defender, rebounder, and passer than Brown; Fox is a younger, better version of Dunn; Monk is nearly on par with Murray as a shooter, but is a much better athlete with defensive upside; and so on.

The 2017 draft doesn't have a generational talent to headline the class, but the quality in the lottery is on par with that of 2015 excluding KAT - it's just that this class will be point guard heavy where 2015 was loaded with bigs. It would be an excellent draft in which to have even a late lottery pick, but the Lakers have to pay the piper eventually, and this is almost assuredly the year they pay up.

I agree that this draft is deeper than 2016. I might have Fultz above Ingram, though it's still hard for me to properly compare because Ingram's age means he should really be in this current draft class (Ingram is half a year younger than Josh Jackson).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Gotta question. What do ya'll think of Dwayne Bacon?

For some reason he's considered a real late 1st round pick, I think that underrates him. He's averaging 16/4 on 49% from the field and 40% from the three point line. He stayed in college an extra year as he said he wanted/needed to work on his jump shot and his jumper off the dribble. Was a 28% three point shooter last year, thus far is a 40% three point shooter this year, so that speaks to his work ethic. He had a near 6'10 wingspan back in 2013 so I'd only assume it's there now, and he's a 6'7 shooting guard.

Anyway, thoughts?

Bacon's fine, but he seems more like a future leading scorer in the D-League than an NBA rotation player - he basically just scores, though I guess he has some upside as a neutral defender. On a team with Jordan Clarkson, I don't see what utility Bacon would have even if he reaches his low-ish ceiling.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
I haven't really been blown away by anyone in this draft, yet. I don't see why it's considered so deep.

Agreed, outside of Fultz it seems like an average year. I guess it will be OK to finally cede our pick to the Process this year.

Mitch and Ryan should be able to work their magic with our second rounder.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because there looks like at least 8-10 prospects in this draft that I would have taken after Ingram and before Jaylen Brown in last year's mediocre draft (Fultz I rank on par with Ingram behind Simmons): Josh Jackson is a better defender, rebounder, and passer than Brown; Fox is a younger, better version of Dunn; Monk is nearly on par with Murray as a shooter, but is a much better athlete with defensive upside; and so on.

The 2017 draft doesn't have a generational talent to headline the class, but the quality in the lottery is on par with that of 2015 excluding KAT - it's just that this class will be point guard heavy where 2015 was loaded with bigs. It would be an excellent draft in which to have even a late lottery pick, but the Lakers have to pay the piper eventually, and this is almost assuredly the year they pay up.

I agree that this draft is deeper than 2016. I might have Fultz above Ingram, though it's still hard for me to properly compare because Ingram's age means he should really be in this current draft class (Ingram is half a year younger than Josh Jackson).

I'm looking forward to seeing Fultz against Zaga and in conference (on bootleg streams; thanks Pac-12 network) before pushing him ahead of Ingram, but I expect he'll live up to it.

My 2015-2017 top o' draft rankings (subject to annual revision for the next decade):

KAT
Simmons
Porzingis
DLo/Fultz (?)
Ingram
Jackson
Turner
Booker
Bender

Pending: Giles, Tatum, etc.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

Wouldn't Simmons be a "pending" too? Who knows how he will hold up with that Jones fracture. It's a fickle injury.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject:

What do you guys think of Jonathon Isaac and his similarities with Ingram? I am glad to have Ingram and think he is a better defender than Isaac it is crazy how similar their games are.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Wouldn't Simmons be a "pending" too? Who knows how he will hold up with that Jones fracture. It's a fickle injury.

Good point, since he hasn't suited up yet. I'm treating him like Fultz and Josh Jackson who are also "pending," but I think project as pretty special players in the NBA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Good point, since he hasn't suited up yet. I'm treating him like Fultz and Josh Jackson who are also "pending," but I think project as pretty special players in the NBA.

Yeah, I think Simmons is going to be special.

But Ingram works out just fine with our team too in different ways.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm a huge fan of Ingram - like a lot of folks at LG, I think if he reaches his ceiling, he's going to be a top-five player in the mold of Kawhi Leonard. And bcause he's such an unselfish, savvy two-way player who can work on and off ball, he's the perfect fit with Randle and Russell. Simmons, Brown, Dunn, Okafor, etc, would have created roster imbalance and/or accentuated current roster weaknesses on either offense or defense (or both sides in Okafor's case).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject:

30 wrote:
What do you guys think of Jonathon Isaac and his similarities with Ingram? I am glad to have Ingram and think he is a better defender than Isaac it is crazy how similar their games are.

I have only caught highlight vids of Isaac so far, but he's a quicker and more fluid athlete than Ingram, and is putting up better numbers more efficiently than BI was at this time last year. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can keep it up against ACC competition, and if he embraces more of a primary role as he gets acclimated.

Ingram's wingspan is more freakish, he and Isaac are basically the same age now, and I think BI is tougher despite being a little skinnier. But Isaac is a hell of an upside prospect and is a darkhorse #1 pick.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm a huge fan of Ingram - like a lot of folks at LG, I think if he reaches his ceiling, he's going to be a top-five player in the mold of Kawhi Leonard. And bcause he's such an unselfish, savvy two-way player who can work on and off ball, he's the perfect fit with Randle and Russell. Simmons, Brown, Dunn, Okafor, etc, would have created roster imbalance and/or accentuated current roster weaknesses on either offense or defense (or both sides in Okafor's case).

Agreed. Wonder what they would have done with Simmons/randle if we got Simmons (which I guess is somewhat of a good problem to have).
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:

How is Tatum and Giles doing? I remember they were 1 and 2 on the board not too long ago. Not anymore.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed. Wonder what they would have done with Simmons/randle if we got Simmons (which I guess is somewhat of a good problem to have).

I think in that alternate universe Randle is packaged with Clarkson for any SF better than Deng, while Simmons is starting his career as a multi-time All-Star with comparisons to Magic.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think in that alternate universe Randle is packaged with Clarkson for any SF better than Deng, while Simmons is starting his career as a multi-time All-Star with comparisons to Magic.

Yeah, Simmons would have immediately been compared to Magic and we wouldn't have the silly "is DLO a PG" arguments.

I still see Ingram as the "Bird" to Simmons "Magic."
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
How is Tatum and Giles doing? I remember they were 1 and 2 on the board not too long ago. Not anymore.

Giles had left knee arthroscopy on 10/3 and was initially expected to be out six weeks. Obviously it's been more than six weeks, and reports are that he's now projected to return before Christmas. Giles tore the ACL, MCL, and meniscus in his left knee back in 2013. He also missed his senior seas recovering from a right ACL tear. His health red flags are causing his stock to drop.

Tatum came back a week ago after sitting out with a foot strain. He put up 22 points against Florida last night in only his second collegiate game. He should make his move back up mock draft boards pretty soon.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah, Simmons would have immediately been compared to Magic and we wouldn't have the silly "is DLO a PG" arguments.

That would be an awesome rivalry! Though I've come to loathe the Sixers and I hope Embiid and Simmons both demand trades next summer.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I was in love with Simmons at the draft. Dude has the perfect game to compliment D'LO (and JC) and from my POV will be a HOF guy. IMO, the gap between Simmons and Ingram is going to be equal to or larger than that between Towns and D'LO.

Luckily for us, Simmons isn't playing right now and besides Embiid, no rookie is really outplaying the other by miles here. Us fans have been spared of watching Simmons dazzle the NBA world with his passing while Ingram looks pedestrian thus far. Hopefully by the time Ben comes back, Ingram has found his game a little bit more.

Yes Simmons would have created roster imbalance, but that superstar upside is there and his floor is pretty damn high also. Randle would have been on the move.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

I was in love with Simmons at the draft. Dude has the perfect game to compliment D'LO (and JC) and from my POV will be a HOF guy. IMO, the gap between Simmons and Ingram is going to be equal to or larger than that between Towns and D'LO.

Luckily for us, Simmons isn't playing right now and besides Embiid, no rookie is really outplaying the other by miles here. Us fans have been spared of watching Simmons dazzle the NBA world with his passing while Ingram looks pedestrian thus far. Hopefully by the time Ben comes back, Ingram has found his game a little bit more.

Yes Simmons would have created roster imbalance, but that superstar upside is there and his floor is pretty damn high also. Randle would have been on the move.

Eh. Not worried about that at all. Out of our hands. What we do have in our hands (DLO and Ingram) are fantastic and versatile players who will be great themselves.

While Ben probably would be dazzling, there is a chance his warts would also be exposed too against better competition. Some of them surfaced even in SPL.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Or maybe the Lakers draft Ingram anyway.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

True - Simmons is a full year younger than Ingram and more physically mature. By age 22-23 BI could surpass him and not look back.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

Although I do not agree there will be such a large gap between Simmons and Ingram, I do agree if there is a choice I will choose to have first pick and top 5 pick istead of two second picks.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

True - Simmons is a full year younger than Ingram and more physically mature. By age 22-23 BI could surpass him and not look back.

You meant Simmons is a full year older than Ingram?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
2019 wrote:

Although I do not agree there will be such a large gap between Simmons and Ingram, I do agree if there is a choice I will choose to have first pick and top 5 pick istead of two second picks.

And I would propose that at this moment in time we have no idea what the gap between Towns and DLO will be.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Just curious, how do you draft experts rank Ingram alongside Tatum and Jackson?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You meant Simmons is a full year older than Ingram?

Sorry, yes.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Psythe wrote:
Dennis Smith would be an amazing pick

He's an awesome athlete, but he's struggling on jumpers and is absolutely putrid on defense early on. From the very little I saw of him, his defense seems to be more of an effort issue than a talent issue.

Maybe he becomes prime Derrick Rose and the jumper/defense are outweighed by his offensive stupendousness, but he'd worry me as a fit in Walton's offense. I think at, say, pick #3 I'd rather take Fox as a potentially elite on-ball defender and try to teach him how to shoot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 9 of 1281
Jump to: