ROCKETS -at- LAKERS – 10-26-16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject:

Thank You, as always DB!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
smitty5x
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, I appreciate all of your hard work!
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject:

First Win and Undefeated...Let's keep it going Lakers!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject:

Love seeing a :~)) for the first game of the season. Thanks, DB.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject:

I was at the game and have no voice today, was great energy at Staples, nice to see the fans "get" whats going on and appreciate the effort that these guys are putting out
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Awesome as usual.

First win on the way to an 82-0 season!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
I was at the game and have no voice today, was great energy at Staples, nice to see the fans "get" whats going on and appreciate the effort that these guys are putting out

ah you were the guy calling at harden all game?
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
pmacla wrote:

ah you were the guy calling at harden all game?

naw that wasnt me lol though I think the chick he either hooked up with the night before or was going to after the game was sitting next to me and she was pretty annoying
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. I thoroughly enjoyed that win last night. I stick by my prediction of 35 wins this year. We have a good blend of youth and vets. To watch the young guns hold an offensive juggernaut like Houston to 43 points in the 2nd half is huge. I think we will surprise this year.
SoCaLjAy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject:

It was nice to see Luke make some changes to get the D on track while still keeping the O moving. That is something we were not only lacking in games last year (from half to half), but from game to game and in long stretches of the season. Also, it is good to know that we have the firepower out there to keep up in a high scoring game.

All three of the "kids" showed up and influenced the game in a big way. Moz was solid in the middle. Deng showed he is a leader on the team even if his play was less than it has been in the past. Clarkson, Lou and the bench provided that energy they will probably be known for this season.

I know this will be an up and down season: I'm really glad we started with an "up"! Go Lakers and thanks DB!

Last edited by SoCaLjAy on Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject:

Just to add to the coaching observations - this is COMPLETELY OPPOSITE from what we saw and complained about last year.

No Robo-subs. A remarkable shift in the effectiveness of the defense in the second half, taking down a team that scored 71 in the first half and hog tying them to 43 second half points. No parking brake. An offense that KEPT MOVING when the first play broke down, and found shots as a result. First options on offense developing with time on the clock, making a second or third option possible. Timely time outs, and substitutions that worked, with no interruptions of any Laker runs or inexplicably pulling a red-hot player off the floor.

DLO said a lot when he indicated a reason for the improved second half defense was that Houston ran the same plays. That means the Lakers made adjustments and Houston didn't counter with any. Luke Walton just flat-out outcoached MDA.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject:

The lakers have better records than the Warriors!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject:

Yep! The Lakers are tied for first place in the Western Conference!
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject:

Great stuff as always DB. I don't have cable, so I didn't get to watch the game live. However, after waking up and finding out that the Lakers pulled out the win, I was able to watch most of the game this morning. It was a really fun game to watch, and I know that GT will have a ton of good stuff to work with for his next video.

Overall, this team is already so much better on both ends than the teams we've trotted out the last 3 seasons. We're obviously a work in progress, but it's great to see our guys taking good shots, making that extra pass and helping each other out on D. These are simple things that have been lacking for a while, and it's great to see guys like Lou and Swaggy buy in on both ends.

Individually, just about everyone had some good moments last night:

DLO - He's a guy who does well when he's making quick decisions with the ball whether it's shooting or passing. However, he is clearly still figuring out how to run the team, which was evident to close the game. Still, his ability to just become a flamethrower on offense will be a common occurrence for the Lakers this season. I look forward to seeing him grow as a playmaker.

Swaggy - He struggled with his shot, but he took good shots within the offense. That's all you can ask for, and we know those shots are going to fall because he's a very good shooter. I'm loving the defense though and the commitment to playing team ball.

Deng/Moz - These two gave us exactly what we were expecting and need in terms of professionalism and consistent play. It's awesome to know that we have two guys who are going to do the little things to help our team win games without impeding the growth of our youth.

Randle - He got all of his scores in the paint, but it's still impressive to see him go 9-11 from the field. He did all his damage last season in the paint last season as well yet never had as good a shooting game as he did last night. He had some impressive defensive stands against Harden as well. I'm still waiting for him to uncork that J, which would make him an absolute beast. Also, if he's going to be our small ball 5, we need him to be stronger on the boards, which I know he's capable of doing.

JC - During his rookie season, he seemed to be play at a higher gear than most other players. For some reason, it felt like he lost that gear last season. However, it looks like he's got that pep in his step back again, and he once again looks like a guy who's just faster than everyone else on the court. I loved his aggressiveness on offense in the 2nd half. We need him to be a guy that consistently breaks down the D with his dribble penetration. I wasn't sold on him coming off the bench, but I'm loving the fact that he can be an offensive spark plug for us off the bench.

Ingram - The kid is just smooth out there on both ends. You can tell that he's always going to make a positive contribution for us when he's on the floor because of his IQ and versatility. He had some great defensive stands and kept his offense simple but efficient. It's going to be fun to watch him continue to grow this season.

Lou - As you've mentioned, his effort on D has been consistent under Luke, and I like that he has reined things in offensively with less contested and off-balance shots. When Calderon returns, it will be interesting to see who Luke will use as his 4th guard.

Nance - Just great activity from him as usual. As long as Jr. brings the energy, good things will continue to happen on the court. I'd like to see him show off his versatility more as the season progresses in terms of pushing the ball in transition and stretching the D with his 3 ball.

Black - I like his effort on the floor on both ends, but it's interesting to note that as athletic as he is, he doesn't have very fast feet. He's a small center to begin with, so defensive mobility is something he will need to be able to provide if he's going to get consistent minutes. We know he sets great screens and is a great roll man, but he needs to be able to give us something defensively to stay on the floor. We'll see if he can step up to the challenge.

Huertas - He always bring energy and great passing. I like Luke using him as a change of pace guard, but I'll be very surprised if he makes the regular rotation barring injury. Lou and Calderon bring more to the table, but I still like Huertas' energy when he's on the floor. The guys know he's a willing and excellent passer, and it's clear that player movement improves when he's on the floor.

MWP - Great defensive effort as always, but we all know that he's done as an elite defender. Still, I appreciate the leadership he's able to provide to our young guys.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject:

I think the most important thing for the Lakers this game and this season is to show something very different from last seasons greek tragedy. Sell some hope to fans, play fluid, positive basketball, have fun out there, cause some upsets, create some buzz. Lakers needed this change badly, play a brand of ball fans actually want to see, entertain people, get some w's while the young guys develop.

It was a great change of pace from last year as expected, Luke Walton couldnt be more different than byron and the players also looked night and day from last season, although it's extremely early of course.

Also, db, you're the man, more than anyone YOU deserve this team to get good and back in the winning track
razor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

pure bliss, luke is already coach of the year, I love how he wants to play Ingram at point, byron would still have the kid at the end of the bench, this is going to be a fun season to watch!
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Luke's second half adjustments were impressive.

Yeah, especially since he barely knows what he has with his players right now. Tough to roll out lineups that haven't seen a lot of floor time together.

It's readily apparent that Luke has excellent coaching instincts. That said, we need to be as patient with him as we need to be with the young guns. He'll make mistakes, get out-coached, mis-read the moment, all that stuff. But just as with the players, it's easy to see that the talent is there for Luke.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject:

WE'RE 1-0!

Thanks, DB!
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject:

Hope! Something that's been missing in the team for a while now.

Ok, it's just game 1 against a borderline lower tier playoff team. But you get the sense there's a different energy around the team. Clarkson, after getting paid, not fretting about coming off the bench. Nick Young playing D. Randle asserting his athleticism. Mosgov looking like a legit positive addition. Ingram showing flashes of what's to come.

DLo is still a little too cocky for me. The 4pt play, blindsiding Harden and his postups were the best parts of the night, but almost negated by questionable late game management. ABC - Always Be Closing, DLo.

If Luke can get the team to sustain the energy, the Lakers will open some eyes.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
First options on offense developing with time on the clock, making a second or third option possible.

Just such a big difference from the routine of last season where we went through the surface motions of an offense, then had to iso up against the shotclock again...and again...
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

love love love what I saw yesterday. Lakers basketball was actually fun for the first time in years. These guys' faces are lighting up like xmas trees the way they're playing. Can't wait for the next game!
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject:

LukeShow Era .
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
LukeShow Era .

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: