NOTICEABLE EYE TEST

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker Intervention
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: NOTICEABLE EYE TEST

No deep analysis here because we have plenty of threads for that. But two clear things about this team that we've been missing in the past few years:

1) Our defensive rotations and switches are way better. Still a lot of work to do, but our switching at times looked as good as the Thunder's from last year. We're also no longer a Laker team that is allergic to defending the pick n' roll.

2) Remember as we won the rings, our superstars were now going into twilight years and due to not having much young talent, we saw the rising teams (thunder, clippers, etc) run us out of gyms? Well, it's awesome having a young talented team. Of course their youth shows in some low IQ moments, but our energy is awesome. I know the Warriors were on a 2nd of a back to back, but we made them even look old at times.

It's a long season, but these two areas are refreshing in watching the team this year.

*Edit: Oh, and of course the motion and sets are way ahead of iso or anything Byron was doing. Experience is only going to make us better. Pray for good health.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: NOTICEABLE EYE TEST

Laker Intervention wrote:
2) Remember as we won the rings, our superstars were now going into twilight years and due to not having much young talent, we saw the rising teams (thunder, clippers, etc) run us out of gyms? Well, it's awesome having a young talented team.

Here's what warriors fans said:

Quote:
Lakers are just toying with us. They have open looks all over the place. They're bigger, quicker, and younger.

Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: NOTICEABLE EYE TEST

Chronicle wrote:
2) Remember as we won the rings, our superstars were now going into twilight years and due to not having much young talent, we saw the rising teams (thunder, clippers, etc) run us out of gyms? Well, it's awesome having a young talented team.

Here's what warriors fans said:

Quote:
Lakers are just toying with us. They have open looks all over the place. They're bigger, quicker, and younger.

TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

Without a doubt. We're becoming that young team nobody wants to play.

If we keep this up, that's going to translate into that young team with the great coach everyone wants to play for, real soon.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: NOTICEABLE EYE TEST

No deep analysis here because we have plenty of threads for that. But two clear things about this team that we've been missing in the past few years:

1) Our defensive rotations and switches are way better. Still a lot of work to do, but our switching at times looked as good as the Thunder's from last year. We're also no longer a Laker team that is allergic to defending the pick n' roll.

2) Remember as we won the rings, our superstars were now going into twilight years and due to not having much young talent, we saw the rising teams (thunder, clippers, etc) run us out of gyms? Well, it's awesome having a young talented team. Of course their youth shows in some low IQ moments, but our energy is awesome. I know the Warriors were on a 2nd of a back to back, but we made them even look old at times.

It's a long season, but these two areas are refreshing in watching the team this year.

*Edit: Oh, and of course the motion and sets are way ahead of iso or anything Byron was doing. Experience is only going to make us better. Pray for good health.

The defense is hard to figure out. There are signs that it is a lot better, the switching has been much more on point than previous years and they have some more versatility overall when adding guys like Ingram to the mix. Still a lot of breakdowns on the pick and roll but they've made adjustments.

In overall field goal percentage defense, the Lakers are almost at the bottom. I think this is because of all of the easy baskets they have given up on pick and rolls. However, on three point defense, they are currently the best in the league by a good margin. I think other than OKC (Westbrook got hot) every opponent has shot well below their usual percentage from deep against the Lakers. I can't tell how they're doing it because it seems like they have been leaving guys wide open from out there, particularly against Utah and Golden State.

The TWC or Spectrum or whatever they are now crew always likes to judge defense by the opposing shooting percentage but I think those can be misleading. It's possible that while I am seeing guys clanking open looks, maybe the defense actually is doing something I'm not seeing, like giving open looks to a guy who doesn't shoot well from the corners, or giving up an open look when the team probably was focused on running a different play.
Laker Intervention
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: NOTICEABLE EYE TEST

Treble Clef wrote:

The defense is hard to figure out. There are signs that it is a lot better, the switching has been much more on point than previous years and they have some more versatility overall when adding guys like Ingram to the mix. Still a lot of breakdowns on the pick and roll but they've made adjustments.

In overall field goal percentage defense, the Lakers are almost at the bottom. I think this is because of all of the easy baskets they have given up on pick and rolls. However, on three point defense, they are currently the best in the league by a good margin. I think other than OKC (Westbrook got hot) every opponent has shot well below their usual percentage from deep against the Lakers. I can't tell how they're doing it because it seems like they have been leaving guys wide open from out there, particularly against Utah and Golden State.

The TWC or Spectrum or whatever they are now crew always likes to judge defense by the opposing shooting percentage but I think those can be misleading. It's possible that while I am seeing guys clanking open looks, maybe the defense actually is doing something I'm not seeing, like giving open looks to a guy who doesn't shoot well from the corners, or giving up an open look when the team probably was focused on running a different play.

All great points

Also the way the game has changed as far as spacing and the high quantitative use of the 3-point shot, we're also going to have to have guys who can hit. The one thing we don't really have is a that sniper who can go off screens and hit that 3 or always hit spot up. Nick young, Dlo, and Lou are better shooting off the dribble.

Hopefully Anthony Brown can come back and be that guy but I'm not so sure. As of now he seems like the college guy whose form isn't efficient with the NBA line. But we'll see! Good things so far considering we can still improve so much more.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Happy new year
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Happy new year

Damn...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Happy new year

Bump one more old thread and you can be 2017's first victim...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: