Lakers have the right pieces.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Lakers have the right pieces.

Am I the only one that feels they don't need to make a big splash in free agency when the season ends? Does it even matter the Lakers don't have a "superstar" (although I see Russell and Ingram emerging soon) right now? Lakers don't have a shortage of talent -- they have a shortage of experience, which will come over time. That they've beaten three playoff teams to start the season shows they will be legitimate force in the coming seasons. They've put the league on watch as far as I'm concerned.

I've always believed talent emerges in a talent vacuum -- the best teams have always been homegrown to some extent. The Cavs, Spurs, Warriors, Thunder all invested in their core pieces and it's paying off massively right now. We know cats like Curry, Klay and Green emerged because management gave them space to grow (see Ellis trade). It's important to note they were not superstars from the beginning. Similarly, I can see the Lakers building around the strengths of Russell-Ingram-Randle-Zubac in a few seasons.

TL;DR - Lakers don't need to go for the home runs anymore. They can augment the team with pieces during the FA period. Don't fix what isn't broken and continue investing in the core pieces. I think they are set for a good while, though things can change.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject:

If we don't necessarily nail a star in FA it's important to the nail the equivalently "iggy/bogut/Livingston" level moves the Warriors made. I slightly disagree bc I think we should look to add a star piece if possible.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject:

Some of us said this months ago when everyone was whining about getting non stars in FA.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

If we can get a player better than Deng, it would do wonders for us.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If we don't necessarily nail a star in FA it's important to the nail the equivalently "iggy/bogut/Livingston" level moves the Warriors made. I slightly disagree bc I think we should look to add a star piece if possible.

Yeah, they need one of those "glue" / keep the team rolling guys in FA. I do think TRob can be one of those dudes in the future though.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Some of us said this months ago when everyone was whining about getting non stars in FA.

nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers have the right pieces.

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Am I the only one that feels they don't need to make a big splash in free agency when the season ends?

You are not alone, someone told in another thread that we don't need Paul George because we have Dlo and I bet at least one guy can say the same about JC.

Personally I like the way our young core is delivering, but I'd love to have Paul George or Anthony Davis here to change our status from talented young and upcoming team to contender.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:

The upcoming free agency has a LOT of really quality role players. We should avoid the two stars (griffin and curry) and see which of the role players fits us best
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers have the right pieces.

nash wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Am I the only one that feels they don't need to make a big splash in free agency when the season ends?

You are not alone, someone told in another thread that we don't need Paul George because we have Dlo and I bet at least one guy can say the same about JC.

Personally I like the way our young core is delivering, but I'd love to have Paul George or Anthony Davis here to change our status from talented young and upcoming team to contender.

Don't get me wrong -- PG would look real nice in a Laker uniform, but I don't think it's a realistic scenario right now. I believe he will sign an extension with the Pacers one of these days. AD is also locked up for a good while. By the time those dudes consider the Lakers, Ingram and Russell could be elite players.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject:

PG - Dlo
SG -?SwaggyP? JC
SF - Ingram
PF - Randle
C - Mozgov

Bench squad - ?JC/SwaggyP, Lou, Black, nance, Zubac, deng

Expendables - Calderon, Huertas, Robinson, MWP

How's the cap situation looking keeping the first 11 name?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject:

We need another piece.

I'm hoping Warriors fall apart and we trade Moz/Lou for Klay then go on a running blitz after the ASB.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject:

Depends on what happens after this season is over. If Ingram becomes a full time starter within in that time, then we should look to move Deng.

Heck, if Zubac gets more playing time as the season goes on and continues to impress, Black or Mozgov are not needed. I have a feeling the victim in that scenario would be Black.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
The upcoming free agency has a LOT of really quality role players. We should avoid the two stars (griffin and curry) and see which of the role players fits us best

Well, if either of them do say yes, you've got to get them. If anything else, they'll be worth their weight in a trade if it doesn't work out.

I do agree with signing good role players, but the way the market has been the last offseason, role players will get paid way too much and the Lakers will eventually need that financial flexibility to re-sign their players or get that one major piece to make them perennial contenders.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject:

yep team is perfectly constructed right now although i wish wed have our draft pick this year cuz theres a lot of talent in the 10-14 range were we would be picking
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
We need another piece.

I'm hoping Warriors fall apart and we trade Moz/Lou for Klay then go on a running blitz after the ASB.

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Classic 2.0
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
If we can get a player better than Deng, it would do wonders for us.

I think Deng will get better. He wasn't part of the Breakfast Club so he needs more time to get integrated in the offense. Plus he's out of position as a SF.

I say we kick the can to '18 free agency.
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject:

THANKS JIMMY!!!!!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if Wizards fans had this same discussion after taking Atlanta to game 6 back in 2015. They had three former top-five picks in Wall, Beal, and Porter with the potential to dominate the leage, and cap space in summer 2016 to pursue Durant or Horford or another top free agent.

The NBA is too fickle to not hoard as much talent as possible when the opportunity presents itself (obviously fit has to come into it, as well). The Lakers are far away from having too much talent.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject:

If we want to be true contenders, we will need another top 3 option to go with DLo and Ingram once they develop.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject:

In terms of the big man rotation, I don't think there's a need to go after Ibaka/Griffin; we have a good enough rotation right now with Randle, Nance, Mozgov, Black, and Zubac. I'd like to see us get a wing; Paul George/Gordon Hayward is ideal to have a third scorer, along with Russell and Ingram.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject:

A stretch 5 off the bench would be ideal along with another top 3 option

1. Top 3 option
2. DLO
3. Ingram
4. Randle
5. Mozgov/Zubac
6. JC
7. Nance
8. Deng
9. Stretch big
10. 3/D wing (Nick/AB)
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
In terms of the big man rotation, I don't think there's a need to go after Ibaka/Griffin; we have a good enough rotation right now with Randle, Nance, Mozgov, Black, and Zubac. I'd like to see us get a wing; Paul George/Gordon Hayward is ideal to have a third scorer, along with Russell and Ingram.

Griffin is a star, and should be added because he's a star whose gravity will make everyone on the team better. Sign him up and figure out what to do with Randle/Nance afterwards. It's the same for George or Westbrook.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I wonder if Wizards fans had this same discussion after taking Atlanta to game 6 back in 2015. They had three former top-five picks in Wall, Beal, and Porter with the potential to dominate the leage, and cap space in summer 2016 to pursue Durant or Horford or another top free agent.

The NBA is too fickle to not hoard as much talent as possible when the opportunity presents itself (obviously fit has to come into it, as well). The Lakers are far away from having too much talent.

I live in DC. The sentiment here is that Grunfeld is a terrible GM and has no business running a franchise. You can visit their SBnation site, bulletsforever to see how much they hate him. They view him as the worst GM in the league -- see all his mishaps here: http://www.fireerniegrunfeld.com/p/blog-page_27.html .

A more recent example of his inability was the Markieff Morris trade where they sent the 1st rounder to Phoenix last season to acquire him. Instead of getting a gem in a fairly talented draft this year, they opted for another non-factor player. They have a consistent pattern of mortgaging their future for non-impact players.

Wall is a franchise talent, but Beal and Porter are nowhere close to the help he needs to contend in the weak East. Beal feels like Eric Gordon 2.0 and Porter is a lesser version of Rudy Gay -- they play almost zero defense. They are obviously talented, but not two way players the team needs. The Gortat-Wall pairing is about the only thing that's been successful as of late.

In contrast, Mitch and Co. have drafted gem after gem in the draft. They've set themselves up quite well for the future.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject:

I love how in the thread titled "we have the right pieces" it's all about bringing in the right pieces we don't have.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: