Lebron Upset at Phil Jackson Over "Posse" Comment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Lolbron
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
As someone who dislikes both LeBron and Phil Jackson I have no horse in this race.

However I don't think Phil was being racist. I don't think he should've referred to LeBron's associates as a posse that seems disrespectful as if they don't know the business world or something.

I do think he was being a douche probably annoyed that for once he doesn't have the best player in the game on his team and he has to be like everyone else.

That being said LeBron acting as if this was Phil being a racist is laughable to me considering what Dan Gilbert said in his letter after the Decision was far worse and Gilbert is an admitted Trump supporter.

How is PJ being a douche for pointing out that LeBron wanted to do something that is just not done at any time, by any team, for any player and that even his own coach and GM agreed was wrong?

I took it differently I thought he wasn't taking the business acumen of LeBron's business partners seriously that they were hangers on and not much else.

If LeBron's associates/partners had any business acumen, they wouldn't be asking for unprecedented privileges that compromise the team dynamic. So rather than being a douche, PJ was spot on.

Actually he wasn't, Lebron and his business partners are very successful business men. I don't think that Phil meant anything racist about it, I doubt Phil has a racist bone in his body. It might have been a direct quote from Riley for all we know.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
I guess I'm offended that PJ threatened to grab Lebron by the posse.

But come on, when you are as rich as PJ, all the Lebrons will let you grab their posse. It's a known fact, Lebrons be ho's!!
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject:

I'm an old guy and I never considered the use of the label "posse" as a particularly racist dig, but I always thought it a demeaning or provocational or condescending one. In that sense, singling out LeBron's group - and not others - in this way does smack me of some degree of questionable judgement by Phil, at a minimum.

For example, Sinatra's Vegas gang of muscle (rumored and actual hoods), hangers-on, buddies and drinking company was labeled a posse in the 1950s newspapers. That was probably the earliest reference to posse outside of the context of non-fiction and fiction Wild West books and old Western movies that I can recall seeing it used.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I'm an old guy and I never considered the use of the label "posse" as a particularly racist dig, but I always thought it a demeaning or provocational or condescending one. In that sense, singling out LeBron's group - and not others - in this way does smack me of some degree of questionable judgement by Phil, at a minimum.

I don't see it as anything other than a slang term that became "hip" in recent years. As I said earlier in this thread, I think Lebron was stung by PJ's other comments, but couldn't really answer them without opening the door to a whole lot of other stuff. So he picked out an innocuous word and threw a fit about it.

Speaking as an old white guy, if I wanted to pick out a demeaning word to use to describe young black men, "posse" wouldn't be it. Heck, we sometimes jokingly use the term posse to describe the folks in my group of old people who hang out at the cigar store on Saturday morning.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Lebron gets offended when people don't bow before him...."King James".
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Nice tweak by Phil...obviously got under LeBron's persona and got a real reaction

No one pushes buttons like PJ.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Nice tweak by Phil...obviously got under LeBron's persona and got a real reaction

No one pushes buttons like PJ.

But what's the point of doing so? Are they deadlocked in a 7 game playoffs series?

Just seems a bit unnecessary to comment on another team's player IMO.
The Brain
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Is Phil going to apologize to horses again on live TV? Because that would be super!
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject:

im not defending Lebron and I think he needs to stop crying but I'll just throw out there that it definitely seems that the meaning of the word posse seems to have been taken over to refer to a group of black guys
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Unless I'm ignorant about the hidden overtones of "posse" and there is a negative racial undercurrent to that term, Lebron needs to S the F up. It's amazing how thin skinned and hyper-sensitive narcissists can be. As others already said and as we all know, Phil loves to tweak people and get under their skin. Not in a malicious way, but in a mischievous way. Lebron needs to realize this and focus on basketball.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Unless I'm ignorant about the hidden overtones of "posse" and there is a negative racial undercurrent to that term, Lebron needs to S the F up. It's amazing how thin skinned and hyper-sensitive narcissists can be. As others already said and as we all know, Phil loves to tweak people and get under their skin. Not in a malicious way, but in a mischievous way. Lebron needs to realize this and focus on basketball.

Phil started all of this. These childish games are part of why he doesn't have a job here.
The Brain
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Everything is a racial undertone these days. It is why we are in this mess as a country in the first place.

Let's remember, Phil called Kobe, his own player, some of the most vile things you could think of in his book in 2004. And if he had said those today, you know damn well the undertone card would have been brought up.

We are in different times. If you say anything now, you risk being labeled. If you are a white male over 50, criticizing a black man in ANY fashion, you run the risk of being called a racist, bigot or Hitler.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

The Brain wrote:
Everything is a racial undertone these days. It is why we are in this mess as a country in the first place.

Let's remember, Phil called Kobe, his own player, some of the most vile things you could think of in his book in 2004. And if he had said those today, you know damn well the undertone card would have been brought up.

We are in different times. If you say anything now, you risk being labeled. If you are a white male over 50, criticizing a black man in ANY fashion, you run the risk of being called a racist, bigot or Hitler.

The Obama Effect. Seems like todays American white people have the honor for paying all their Euro relatives racist transgressions. Despite the fact that without at least half of the white vote, Obama could have never been elected.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject:

http://nypost.com/2016/11/16/phil-jacksons-subtle-response-to-lebron-james-in-posse-feud/

Quote:
Phil Jackson’s subtle response to LeBron James in ‘posse’ feud

Knicks president Phil Jackson subtly responded on Twitter to “Posse-gate,’’ attempting to defuse the word’s racial connotations rather than apologizing for offending LeBron James’ management group.

Jackson retweeted a post multicultural educational entity called “Posse Foundation” and sharing the link to its website:

Follow
Clarence Gaines @ClarenceGaines2
'@possefoundation is a worthy & positive organization - https://www.possefoundation.org
9:47 AM - 15 Nov 2016
121 121 Retweets 152 152 likes
The Posse Foundation website states it “has identified, recruited and trained 6,993 public high school students with extraordinary academic and leadership potential to become Posse Scholars. Since 1989, these students—many of whom might have been overlooked by traditional college selection processes—have been receiving four-year, full-tuition leadership scholarships from Posse’s partner institutions of higher education.”

The Posse Foundation website also features a picture of President Obama, thanking him for his “remarkable gift contribution.’’ Gaines clarified to The Post that the Posse Foundation is open to people of all backgrounds, not just African-Americans.

Jackson is under attack from LeBron James, James’ manager, Maverick Carter, and Carmelo Anthony for using the word “posse’’ in an interview when referring to James’ associates, many of whom he grew up with in Akron, Ohio. The trio believes the word is racially charged. Carter called it “demeaning’’ and Anthony said it doesn’t take “a rocket scientist’’ to realize it is offensive when referring to a group of black men. Anthony added the Zen Master shouldn’t even be discussing James since the Knicks don’t face the Cavaliers again until Dec. 7.

It wasn’t the first time Jackson referred to James and his friends as a “posse.”

“In the Cleveland game, I was impressed with LeBron James, who has made strides since we played the Cavs during the exhibition season,” Jackson wrote in his 2004 book, “The Last Season.” “Yet as talented as this kid definitely appears to be, I don’t believe he or any nineteen-year-old should be playing in the NBA. These young men grow so dependent on their posses, who fetch their cars and their girls, that they can’t possibly develop into mature self-sufficient human beings. One day, I’m convinced, we’ll find out the true extent of the psychological damage that’s being caused.”

Jackson would not talk to reporters at practice Tuesday as he walked around the court, whispering things in a few players’ ears. It should be noted Jackson’s two most trusted advisers with the Knicks are Gaines and GM Steve Mills, both of whom are African-American.

“I know Phil Jackson, he’s a good man,” Magic Johnson tweeted Wednesday, praising James’ business team while saying Jackson made a small mistake in word choice. “I don’t think he meant to disrespect LeBron James and his team.”
The Brain
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
The Brain wrote:

The Obama Effect. Seems like todays American white people have the honor for paying all their Euro relatives racist transgressions. Despite the fact that without at least half of the white vote, Obama could have never been elected.

That and Obama is half white. Go figure.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject:

I never thought Posse was a bad term, I've used it to describe groups of my friends as well as others. I never knew it to have a negative connotation, and I think the other stuff Phil said regarding Lebron would bother Lebron more than singling out a word.
The Brain
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Phil started all of this. These childish games are part of why he doesn't have a job here.

Yup.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
The Brain wrote:

I've never been a fan of Obama, but this is unfair. Obama effect? Why must everything be blamed on Obama? When did he ever say that white people must pay for the sins of their ancestors?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
Wino wrote:
The Brain wrote:

I've never been a fan of Obama, but this is unfair. Obama effect? Why must everything be blamed on Obama? When did he ever say that white people must pay for the sins of their ancestors?

Werd this mentality must be where "Thanks Obama" came from. Silly sauce on top of silly sauce.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
mirak wrote:
Wino wrote:
The Brain wrote:

Werd this mentality must be where "Thanks Obama" came from. Silly sauce on top of silly sauce.

As Kobe would say: "You know what, that's a Bikram Yoga stretch."
The Brain
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject:

We have been in the blame generation for quite some time now. Nothing is anyone's fault except the other guy. Bad habits when you keep doing that. Then you start justifying why you suck at life.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
I never thought Posse was a bad term, I've used it to describe groups of my friends as well as others. I never knew it to have a negative connotation, and I think the other stuff Phil said regarding Lebron would bother Lebron more than singling out a word.

that's what lebron is really upset about. that phil called him a baby.

but he's trying to twist it into other things to make phil look bad. and of course melo is backing up lebron because he's hoping lebron will carry his ass to a ring one day.

not surprising the course this story has taken since phil spoke.

but phil does need to understand that you can't zing people when you're in the FO, like he did as a coach. it gets taken differently. especially in this day and age where racial sensitivities are high. i knew he'd never do well as a member of the F.O. He's a great coach. Nothing more.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nypost.com/2016/11/16/phil-jacksons-subtle-response-to-lebron-james-in-posse-feud/

Quote:

Knicks president Phil Jackson subtly responded on Twitter to “Posse-gate,’’ attempting to defuse the word’s racial connotations rather than apologizing for offending LeBron James’ management group.

Jackson retweeted a post multicultural educational entity called “Posse Foundation” and sharing the link to its website:

Follow
'@possefoundation is a worthy & positive organization - https://www.possefoundation.org
The Posse Foundation website states it “has identified, recruited and trained 6,993 public high school students with extraordinary academic and leadership potential to become Posse Scholars. Since 1989, these students—many of whom might have been overlooked by traditional college selection processes—have been receiving four-year, full-tuition leadership scholarships from Posse’s partner institutions of higher education.”

The Posse Foundation website also features a picture of President Obama, thanking him for his “remarkable gift contribution.’’ Gaines clarified to The Post that the Posse Foundation is open to people of all backgrounds, not just African-Americans.

Jackson is under attack from LeBron James, James’ manager, Maverick Carter, and Carmelo Anthony for using the word “posse’’ in an interview when referring to James’ associates, many of whom he grew up with in Akron, Ohio. The trio believes the word is racially charged. Carter called it “demeaning’’ and Anthony said it doesn’t take “a rocket scientist’’ to realize it is offensive when referring to a group of black men. Anthony added the Zen Master shouldn’t even be discussing James since the Knicks don’t face the Cavaliers again until Dec. 7.

It wasn’t the first time Jackson referred to James and his friends as a “posse.”

“In the Cleveland game, I was impressed with LeBron James, who has made strides since we played the Cavs during the exhibition season,” Jackson wrote in his 2004 book, “The Last Season.” “Yet as talented as this kid definitely appears to be, I don’t believe he or any nineteen-year-old should be playing in the NBA. These young men grow so dependent on their posses, who fetch their cars and their girls, that they can’t possibly develop into mature self-sufficient human beings. One day, I’m convinced, we’ll find out the true extent of the psychological damage that’s being caused.”

Jackson would not talk to reporters at practice Tuesday as he walked around the court, whispering things in a few players’ ears. It should be noted Jackson’s two most trusted advisers with the Knicks are Gaines and GM Steve Mills, both of whom are African-American.

“I know Phil Jackson, he’s a good man,” Magic Johnson tweeted Wednesday, praising James’ business team while saying Jackson made a small mistake in word choice. “I don’t think he meant to disrespect LeBron James and his team.”

Oh he absolutely meant to disrespect LeBron and his team, the only question is whether or not it was racist.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Follow

Oh he absolutely meant to disrespect LeBron and his team, the only question is whether or not it was racist.

Not racist, Phil just needs to stay in his lane.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: