The New CBA & How it Affects the Lakers (new D-League contract rules)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: The New CBA & How it Affects the Lakers (new D-League contract rules)

The CBA that we once referred to as new is now old, and the next CBA will have some new rules that will change how our organization operates. This thread can be for that discussion.

This tweet shows a cool little detail that is interesting. Can a mod embed the image? https://twitter.com/WerlySportsLaw/status/798584972609290244

Basically, teams will now be afforded two-way contracts between the NBA and D-League effectively extending the max roster to 18 players instead of 15.

If we had this in place now guys like Anthony Brown would likely still be on the team.

Last edited by 22 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject:

50K is still too low IMO. Salary range should be around 80-120K IMO. Make the DLeague a real option for high school players after they graduate and players not good enough to make NBA rosters that go overseas for bigger pay days.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject:

I would love for high school kids to go straight to the d-league for a year.

Really turn it into a minor league for Basketball and give the talent real development. The kids get to be paid a decent starting salary right after high school and then get that nice rookie contract in the NBA a year after.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject:

That's never going to happen. The league is trying to move up from 1 and done, so there's no way they'd be okay with going in the opposite direction for an affiliate league.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
50K is still too low IMO. Salary range should be around 80-120K IMO. Make the DLeague a real option for high school players after they graduate and players not good enough to make NBA rosters that go overseas for bigger pay days.

Yeah, it's pitiful. NCAA is still the best route. Skal Labissiere didn't do anything at Kentucky and still went in the first round. The only guys that made the jump to the NBA were former college players that were kicked off their team, i.e. PJ Hairston and Glenn Rice III.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Yeah, it's pitiful. NCAA is still the best route. Skal Labissiere didn't do anything at Kentucky and still went in the first round. The only guys that made the jump to the NBA were former college players that were kicked off their team, i.e. PJ Hairston and Glenn Rice III.

50G for 4-5 months season is not bad at all
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject:

You mean we could have kept the great Robert Upshaw?
Especially now with California passing the mary jane proposition?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm assuming this could go into effect 2017. Increasing the salary would theoretically provide more NBA level talent in the d-league, but it is still not enough:

Quote:
Of course, the biggest downside to building out a competitive minor league system remains the cost to support D-League expansion and increased pay. For the 2016-17 season, each D-League franchise will be limited to a salary cap of $209,000, with player salaries set at either $19,500 or $26,000 (not including players sent down from their parent franchises). While staggeringly low, the D-League itself cannot support higher pay without a better brand of basketball to entice fans. Foreign teams can attract quality players with salaries often beginning in the six figures. Although it may not be tenable to support salaries at that level initially, the NBA should still raise minimum salaries to not only entice players but provide them a living. A salary cap of $1,000,000 and minimum minor league salaries of at least $50,000 may bring more quality players state-side with the appeal of the NBA dream. Determining who will subsidize the development of the D-League remains problematic, but owners and players may be able to agree to “split the baby” to fund player salaries without substantially impacting their bottom lines. If the league wants to develop a competitive minor league system that can train and produce quality players for the NBA, it needs to invest greater resources and subsidize its expansion.

https://unsungzeroes.wordpress.com/2016/10/23/analyzing-and-improving-the-nbas-cba/

I do think that AB should have been retained in some capacity. He's still a promising player, and the d-fenders would have been perfect for him.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
If they did that overseas wouldn't get our players at all. Which would make the D-league something to actually watch and perhaps pay for a ticket to see.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject:

This will open up options for a lot of borderline NBA talent.

- Guys that came out early due to bad advice, but now have to walk away because they're projects and can't make a living in the DLeague on $20K.
- Guys that would be pick and stash if they were abroad.
- Vets that can contribute to a team, but can't break the top 15 because of "projects" that might now be 2-way contracts.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

I'm hoping for an amnesty clause, but the latest reports I read did not make it seem promising. Still holding onto hope...
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The New CBA & How it Affects the Lakers (new D-League contract rules)

22 wrote:
The CBA that we once referred to as new is now old, and the next CBA will have some new rules that will change how our organization operates. This thread can be for that discussion.

This tweet shows a cool little detail that is interesting. Can a mod embed the image? https://twitter.com/WerlySportsLaw/status/798584972609290244

Basically, teams will now be afforded two-way contracts between the NBA and D-League effectively extending the max roster to 18 players instead of 15.

If we had this in place now guys like Anthony Brown would likely still be on the team.

Anthony Brown, Zach Auguste, and Ivica Zubac would be on the team in those 3 spots, and we'd likely have a spot to give to another veteran if we wished.

This is great for home grown player development for projects.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject:

This would definitely help retain those fringe players the Lakers like.

But truth be told, if they do this, we'll be whining about the 19th guy that couldn't make the roster.

I say do whatever, but I lost no sleep when they let Brown and the rest go.

Bye.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
If they did that overseas wouldn't get our players at all. Which would make the D-league something to actually watch and perhaps pay for a ticket to see.

Still wouldn't compete with what some Euro and Chinese teams pay. Not even close.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject:

Yi could have stayed!
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
This would definitely help retain those fringe players the Lakers like.

But truth be told, if they do this, we'll be whining about the 19th guy that couldn't make the roster.

I say do whatever, but I lost no sleep when they let Brown and the rest go.

Bye.

I think it's more about priming players for NBA-level ball, which is something the d-league does not accomplish at the moment. It's kind of concerning when Vander Blue, the best player in the d-league, can't land a spot on an NBA team. He has the talent, but his style of play does not translate. I do think Coby Karl can help him take his game to the NBA level, but it will take a year or two for him to unlearn some of his bad habits. In contrast, Euro leagues have enough talent to prime players for NBA-level ball. The offenses are also infinitely more sophisticated.

This is what Russell Westbrook had to say about European teams:

Quote:
"I think one thing people don't realize is guarding teams in Europe," Russell Westbrook said, via the Norman Transcript. "Their offenses are 10 times better than NBA offense just because they move around a lot. A lot of movement and not as much talent so they have to do different things to be able to score the basketball."

I want to see the d-league be respectable. I hesitate to watch the games because the competition appears to be a tier below the NCAA level.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject:

I'm not so wild for the changes I'd anticipate seeing during a period of three two-way contracts per team. Instead of bringing along already-signed players into the rotation more often, I reckon instead it's just a safety net to franchises so as to have enough practice fodder during the season during heavy sick bay periods.

Seems that its most likely negative effect is to incentivize a few more unqualified kids from college each Spring to attempt to make the jump to the NBA, even earlier than they might have before. Chalk it up again as good for teams perhaps, perhaps not so good for fans who want to see more coherent play from those teams.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:

Has anybody heard other significant new CBA details? Amnesty clause going to be included?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

No, 50k-75k doesn't sound like much, but they can live off that while getting exposure to NBA scouts.

Getting 19k-26k is harder to live on when you're dedicating your life to a sport. They have to get jobs in the offseason at that salary. But they can live comfortably with 50-75k for only 5 months of basketball while working on their game the rest of the year, basically at the NBA's front porch. This will definitely help.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

Each team having a 1M cap is NOTHING to the NBA. That would be an average salary of over 80K. Could have tiers- 1st tier 100k (up to 2) 2nd tier 80K (up to 10)
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Still wouldn't compete with what some Euro and Chinese teams pay. Not even close.

The D-League doesn't want to get into some kind of bidding war with foreign teams. Basically all they want to do is give a decent living wage that makes them a viable choice for undrafted players who want to work toward making it in the NBA.

It's hard to imagine going from a top salary of 75000 to a top salary 125000 would really change the talent so much that it would have an impact on people wanting to see the league.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

The D-League doesn't want to get into some kind of bidding war with foreign teams. Basically all they want to do is give a decent living wage that makes them a viable choice for undrafted players who want to work toward making it in the NBA.

It's hard to imagine going from a top salary of 75000 to a top salary 125000 would really change the talent so much that it would have an impact on people wanting to see the league.

I think it would make a lot of guys who are going overseas for ~500K think twice. Hard to believe guys are playing in the DLeague for only 25K when they could making 10 times that overseas. Shows you much making the NBA means to a lot of these guys, and the DLeague is the best avenue for that. Could probably even steal a couple players after high school for a year if the DLeaguue conditions improve.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject:

So how do the player's salary cap holds work if they're sent down? Do they still count dollar for dollar, or will it be like it used to be in the NHL in the prior labor agreement where the player sent down only counts a small amount towards the cap, resulting in teams stashing unproductive high-priced players in purgatory?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Each team having a 1M cap is NOTHING to the NBA. That would be an average salary of over 80K. Could have tiers- 1st tier 100k (up to 2) 2nd tier 80K (up to 10)

It's still $1M/team. I don't see players wanting to pay... it'll be like paying for somebody else to see if they can take your job so it all falls on owners
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
I'm hoping for an amnesty clause, but the latest reports I read did not make it seem promising. Still holding onto hope...

What do you want to do, amnesty Metta again?

Talk about beating a dead horse.

Bye.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: