LA HOOPS: The 2007 Plan is Dead?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
There is more than what meets the eye.

Ok - I'm going back to my theory regarding Arn Tellem. My hope is that the Lakers and Tellem will be brokering a deal (either through trade or free agency) to bring a major Tellem client to L.A. Tellem recently moved to the Wasserman Group. I'm sure Casey Wasserman and the Wasserman family are very familiar with the Busses.

Otherwise, it makes no sense to guarantee the 3rd year unless, as mentioned, it was part of the consideration (No Yao/Amare = guarantee) for Kwame deciding to sign here.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
i don't know for sure - I was told that once Yao and Amare were extended - that it was in the original agreement with Kwame. I do not know that to be true. I was able to verify the contract fact because it's black and white - and anyone with true access to the NBA contract information can check into it.

No one but the Lakers can attest to the reason why - so it's subjective unless they come out and say it outright.

I just read that from another source that confirms your story. It does seem to be the case that the third year has been guaranteed. It goes against the Lakers maintaining flexibility for 2007. It can be a 2008 plan, but Cook is rapidly becoming more valuable. If he keeps playing like he has lately, the Lakers will have to pay him a bigtime salary. On the other hand, if he keeps improving, the Lakers may already have a player that might become an All-Star level starting PF.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

angel - Cook is not All-Star material. He's a good shooter - but let's not overstate things.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
angel - Cook is not All-Star material. He's a good shooter - but let's not overstate things.

Perhaps Cookie becomes our big man version of Steve Kerr. I can see that most definitely.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Guys, Don't think the Lakers know that Kwame has been a dissapointment?

So a guy like Buss, who is known for rejecting any sort of significant financial hit - is supposed to just sign on on Kwame's third season? There should be a very good reason for that.

Ok, you guys are right. Nothing is going on and Dr. Buss all of a sudden has lost his mind.

The man that knew Shaq was old and needed to be traded?
The man that knew Kobe was the future and called him his son?
The man that knew Magic was the guy to take?

I could go on and on ....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

I want angel telling people Cook is an All-Star calibar player. That way his value increases and some sucker might actually fall for it

No but seriously. Cookie is talented, but he is no AS. He wouldn't even start on 90% of the teams in the league.

Looking like an Excellent guy to have off the bench though ....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Antoine Walker, Vin Baker, Christian Laettner, Tom Gugliotta, Chris Gatling and Juwan Howard have all made the All-Stars in the past ten years. You don't think Cook has any chance?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

not really, no.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Damn you, emplay.

You are killing our chances at KG !!!

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
emplay wrote:

Antoine Walker, Vin Baker, Christian Laettner, Tom Gugliotta, Chris Gatling and Juwan Howard have all made the All-Stars in the past ten years. You don't think Cook has any chance?

Angel, I love you as a poster.

You are the most positive poster on here. I can only appreciate that.

But Brian Cook being an all-star is something similar along the lines of Fisher saying he wanted to become an all-star a few years ago (Sorry Shoes)

I like both of them and infact they are similar players for us right now. Guys that at times are a defensive liability but absolutely destroy opposing teams with hitting their open shots.

Talented role player, yes. All-Star calibar - No. Though I wish other GM's felt that way ...
LA_UNION
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
The article is intentionally vague in that area - it's not worth the flak - and frankly writing about a deal too early can complicate things.

Let's just see what happens - the likelihood of ANY trade going through is always low.

well said
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

So a guy like Buss, who is known for rejecting any sort of significant financial hit - is supposed to just sign on on Kwame's third season? There should be a very good reason for that.

Ok, you guys are right. Nothing is going on and Dr. Buss all of a sudden has lost his mind.

Buss also let Mitch run his team. I could go on and on about that.

What you're talking about are the major decisions. Trading Shaq was a good idea. Mitch's execution, piss poor.

Keeping Kobe, no brainer.

Magic--it wasn't a deep draft, they had Kareem (so no Cartwright), so that basically left it to Magic or Moncrief. 6'3" solid guard or the 6'9" kid who's fresh off a national title and averaged 17/7/8 in college?

When it has come to the details of transactions and the day-to-day running of things Buss has generally not interfered except for financial considerations.

This Kwame thing could be Devean George part II. Mitch could have just dropped the ball again--it is entirely possible. George could have been retained for less by picking up his option, right? But Mitch blew it and Buss had to pay more. Same deal here. If we had another GM I'd be with you, but with Mitch this sort of thing is possible and probable.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Are you saying a trade will happen?
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

The only problem with this line of thinking is if it was indeed agreed that he would be extended after Amare and Yao were, then that was before the season started and the whole "disappointment" factor wasn't evident yet.
mm708
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Emplay wrote, "...although one in particular has recently been rumored as a possible Laker acquisition." Who is he and is there any real chance of landing him?
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:

mm708 wrote:
Emplay wrote, "...although one in particular has recently been rumored as a possible Laker acquisition." Who is he and is there any real chance of landing him?

COME ON!! KG anyone?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Buss also let Mitch run his team. I could go on and on about that.

What you're talking about are the major decisions. Trading Shaq was a good idea. Mitch's execution, piss poor.

Keeping Kobe, no brainer.

Magic--it wasn't a deep draft, they had Kareem (so no Cartwright), so that basically left it to Magic or Moncrief. 6'3" solid guard or the 6'9" kid who's fresh off a national title and averaged 17/7/8 in college?

When it has come to the details of transactions and the day-to-day running of things Buss has generally not interfered except for financial considerations.

This Kwame thing could be Devean George part II. Mitch could have just dropped the ball again--it is entirely possible. George could have been retained for less by picking up his option, right? But Mitch blew it and Buss had to pay more. Same deal here. If we had another GM I'd be with you, but with Mitch this sort of thing is possible and probable.

The Lakers also would have had to sign George, the next season. It was also used as a motivational ploy to get George to step up his game. Which he did. Phil and Mitch had both talked about this.

As for Buss - For a man that makes such obvious decisions - he gets em a lot more right than any other owner I know.

I mean do you West wanted Sidney instead of Earvin? That would have been a far bigger oooops than anything Mitch has done.

And I love West. But West is suspect in Memphis. Yet as a Laker he was excellent. Why? Because he also had great ownership and a legacy to work with ....

I trust Buss a lot more than you do, it seems. Buss' vision and knowledge on what his franchise needs is undisputable. He knows what his team needs better than anyone.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

mm708 wrote:

True, I was trying to figure out what he meant by listing all those possible suitors and then mentioning that one of them would be a good fit for the triangle.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
mm708 wrote:

True, I was trying to figure out what he meant by listing all those possible suitors and then mentioning that one of them would be a good fit for the triangle.

Rashard Lewis would be a great triangle fit. He's a proven 2nd scorer who can bomb from 3-land plus has the size to play SF or PF.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:

If the 2007 plan is indeed scrapped, this opens up some more opportunities for us. If the Sixers want to dump Webber's contract, the Lakers could get him and still have the 2008 plan in place. The Lakers could package Kwame,George and Slava and a 1st round pick for CWebb. This trade would also allow the Lakers to get their second scorer and keep their initiator in place.
LakeNiteShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
mm708 wrote:

Actually he said:

"Big names like Paul Pierce, Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury and Rashard Lewis seem unattainable for what the Lakers have to offer. After some reflection, all but one look unappealing as fits in the triangle offense (and he isn't a guard)."

This should leave us to believe he is talking about Lewis, although technically Pierce isn't a guard either. However, I highly doubt we obtain either of those players, but I really hope something gets done dammit.
LakeNiteShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
If the 2007 plan is indeed scrapped, this opens up some more opportunities for us. If the Sixers want to dump Webber's contract, the Lakers could get him and still have the 2008 plan in place. The Lakers could package Kwame,George and Slava and a 1st round pick for CWebb. This trade would also allow the Lakers to get their second scorer and keep their initiator in place.

As a Michigan alumni, I would obviously welcome C-Webb to the LakeNiteShow. But seriously, if we wanted to gain an additional scoring threat while keeping LO, that's not a bad idea. Then in 2008 we can go after LBJ although ESPN's latest article makes that look like a fat chance in hell.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Here's the difference, Wolf. If Eric's semi-confirmed info. about the 3rd year being guaranteed should both Yao and Amare signed extensions with their current teams, then how Kwame has been playing subsequent to signing his contract with us, is totally irrelevant. The deal was made BEFORE he even played a single game for us.

Since I'm positive Phil expected (and probably still expects) he'd be getting more out of Kwame than we've seen so far, I can see why the Lakers may have taken that gamble. Let us not forget that we weren't the only team pursuing Kwame. Jerry West was pushing for him. Indiana was pushing for him. Lots of teams were after Kwame.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Here's the difference, Wolf. If Eric's semi-confirmed info. about the 3rd year being guaranteed should both Yao and Amare signed extensions with their current teams, then how Kwame has been playing subsequent to signing his contract with us, is totally irrelevant. The deal was made BEFORE he even played a single game for us.

Since I'm positive Phil expected (and probably still expects) he'd be getting more out of Kwame than we've seen so far, I can see why the Lakers may have taken that gamble. Let us not forget that we weren't the only team pursuing Kwame. Jerry West was pushing for him. Indiana was pushing for him. Lots of teams were after Kwame.

Perhaps.

But then why did it become GUARANTEED only recently?

Amare and Yao were off the books before the start of the regular season ... I think well into the season the reports were that his K was not guaranteed.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:

LakeNiteShow wrote:
scoobs wrote:

As a Michigan alumni, I would obviously welcome C-Webb to the LakeNiteShow. But seriously, if we wanted to gain an additional scoring threat while keeping LO, that's not a bad idea. Then in 2008 we can go after LBJ although ESPN's latest article makes that look like a fat chance in hell.

I was thinking the exact same thing. C=Webb is an excellent passer, rebounder and he still can score with the best of them. He'd get so many open looks from Kobe. Kobe would still stay on the wing. Kwame could come off the bench with Cookie - those 2 have really good court chemistry together.

I like that idea A LOT.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10
Jump to: