LA HOOPS: The 2007 Plan is Dead?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Van-Exel26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject:

49% sure is an oxymoron.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject:

Eric,

I agree with you.

Despite the many posters who think that there are a number of available players that are a definite upgrade to what the Lakers have, there aren't any. Unless I missed the post, nobody has stated why their choice of available players that they want are a definitive upgrade.

Players like Kenyon is not a definite upgrade because he is a short PF, with a LARGE/LONG contract that there are signs of trouble of meshing with the team.

Players like Earl Watson is having a hard time getting PT where they are at, while players like Melvin Eli are getting production on a medicore team and players like BDavis (along with JRich) are being lambasted as the "Bomb Squad) on a losing team - Lakers made (IMO) the right decision in not obtaining these players. Even though I LOVE DFish, it was the right decision to not match Golden State's offer.

Hey, between KBrown/Mihm/Turiaff/LO/Cook they will match Eli or KMart's numbers. Besides, do they want to finish ahead of the Clippers and face the Spurs & Mavs in consecutive playoff series - I don't think so. Their ideal position is 6th, of which they are always between 2 to 3 games in the loss column.

Another interesting fact is that the Miami Heat's record is only 5 to 6 games better than the Lakers while Kobe got more All-Star votes than Shaq. Wouldn't it be interesting if the Lakers goes almost as far as the Heat in the upcoming playoffs?!?!?! LOL

Guys, am I off-based and/or crazy?!?!
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject:

I can't imagine that all the people with time to post on the various laker boards (Emplay excluded) would actually be given this information. If the rumor gets leaked enough to generate pages and pages of threads filled with people claiming to have an inside track then it probably is a bogus rumor. The only thing I can figure out is why would someone be leaking it--for a smokescreen, for entertainment value, or to get people's hopes up so they are doubly frustrated with Mitch when it doesn't happen. Maybe there is an intention to create frustration as a way of forcing Mitch out.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
I can't imagine that all the people with time to post on the various laker boards (Emplay excluded) would actually be given this information. If the rumor gets leaked enough to generate pages and pages of threads filled with people claiming to have an inside track then it probably is a bogus rumor. The only thing I can figure out is why would someone be leaking it--for a smokescreen, for entertainment value, or to get people's hopes up so they are doubly frustrated with Mitch when it doesn't happen. Maybe there is an intention to create frustration as a way of forcing Mitch out.

It's not that snide or complex. These rumors happen every single year during trading madness, and they happen for every single team. We're no different.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

As long as we have Bynum, the Plan is in full effect. if he progesses each year he will be a force defensively in the middle. He is the Plan. there isnt anyone that can be had that would be better than Bynum if he continues his growth.
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:

I don't think you can guage just numbers in terms of upgrades and downgrades. You have to consider impact and the way the players put their numbers up.

A guy like Ratliff, even if his numbers dont exceed Kwame's or Mihm's, is an upgrade in my mind. From the way he defends the pick and roll, to the shots he changes near the basket, to him forcing guards to pull up from 12 ft out just becuase they know he's there...

Kmart could be an upgrade as well at the power forward. The ability to step out and hit a jumper would open up the middle for Kobe, and his ability to finish on the break is 2nd to none...

Watson doesn't lapse like Smush does and is an overall better court general. You can't guage that in stats. He's more aware of transition defense and is a better man defender. Its not that he'd score more, dish more dimes or get more steals. But he'd no doubt have a greater impact on the game.

There are plenty of guys out there who wouldn't just be along for the ride, who've already found their niche and could contribute significantly to w's and l's, if not it the box score.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

cinimod wrote:
You have to consider impact and the way the players put their numbers up.

A guy like Ratliff, even if his numbers dont exceed Kwame's or Mihm's, is an upgrade in my mind. From the way he defends the pick and roll, to the shots he changes near the basket, to him forcing guards to pull up from 12 ft out just becuase they know he's there...

Kmart could be an upgrade as well at the power forward. The ability to step out and hit a jumper would open up the middle for Kobe, and his ability to finish on the break is 2nd to none...

Watson doesn't lapse like Smush does and is an overall better court general. You can't guage that in stats. He's more aware of transition defense and is a better man defender. Its not that he'd score more, dish more dimes or get more steals. But he'd no doubt have a greater impact on the game.

There are plenty of guys out there

Ratliff is a good player, though undersized for a PF if what we are talking about is championships that requires going through Duncan, Rasheed, et. al KBrown/Mihm/Cook are defending the P&R relatively well and the interior defense is getting better - plus their length (inherently) provides greater problems than Ratliff (a good player) Unfortunately, this is the same situation that Elton Brand is facing. Verdict: Not a player that will take us to the Promised Land of Rings

KMart is a good and EXPENSIVE PLAYER while undersized like Ratliff - hence the same concerns that would prevent the Lakers to enter the Promised Land of Rings. (Note: His mid-range jumpers has been inconsistent this season) Plus there are a lot of rumors of him having problems meshing at Denver

Watson is a good player that is having a hard time getting PT where he is at - plus shorter than Smush or Sasha. His impact would not be much greater than Smush/Sasha. Does anyone believe that when the Lakers contend for Rings that Watson would be the PG - Nah.

These players are slight upgrades, more established and would provide more benefits - but no Rings, hence not the interest.

Comments
Sunhills'm I
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

the 2007 "plan" was a rediculous to start with. How on earth does a team announce its intentions and expect the competition to play along.....
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Suddenly, Kmart is being trade for Francis or Penny or half a dozen people. Noone is even mentioning the Lakers. Either all our guesse as to the mystery player are wrong, something has changed, or the Lakers are really keeping this quiet.
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
As long as we have Bynum, the Plan is in full effect. if he progesses each year he will be a force defensively in the middle. He is the Plan. there isnt anyone that can be had that would be better than Bynum if he continues his growth.

Suddenly it seems like everyone wants Bynum. I wonder who've turned down for him already.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Hey, between KBrown/Mihm/Turiaff/LO/Cook they will match Eli or KMart's numbers.

Matching numbers is one thing. Having several talents, physical or skill-wise, all on the floor at the same time? Entire thing different altogether.

There's a reason why the sum numbers of 5 players do not equal KMart...

Let alone Duncan, KG, etc.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Players like Earl Watson is having a hard time getting PT where they are at, while players like Melvin Eli are getting production on a medicore team...

Hey, between KBrown/Mihm/Turiaff/LO/Cook they will match Eli or KMart's numbers.

Chinaman, I respect your argument, and agree with you almost competely (especially in regards to Kenyon), except for Melvin Ely. Watching last night's game, did you see how many times Lamar and Kobe (and now even Smush) were breaking down the defense? And how many times Kwame couldn't capitalize, or even catch the ball? Ely can and would have cleaned those opportunities up...

Ely has soft hands, great moves, can score with either hand, is a good post passer in his own right, and can also rebound. He is the ideal inexpensive role player for us. He's not an NBA star, but he has been a guy who has been fundamentally sound, and able to score in the post, since a teenager. He's the missing piece to our puzzle, and his talents would synergize with Kobe and Lamar.

I say this because Kobe and Lamar demand teams to overplay them, and having a guy like Ely, who can actually score with a plethora of post moves (and is also confident enough to do so), is exactly what this team needs. Ely will make those plays, and punish opposing teams, when Lamar and/or Kobe breaks them down and dishes for the open look.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Yeah Ely's the answer - he's the reason the Bobcats have been so dominant.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm not saying Ely's the answer in his own right, or "dominant" by any stretch of the imagination, but strictly because of the role he would fill on our team. He can score down low, and has great hands. He's always been a scorer, his whole life, and has the confidence to do it. He can score with either hand, in either direction, and also has a hook shot. Plus, he's an excellent post passer, and a good rebounder.

You look at our team, especially last night, and what really stands out? Nobody who can score in the post, or consistently handle Lamar and Kobe's passes when they break down the defense. Ely can do that, which is why he's the perfect role playing piece of us this year, for this team.

And, for the record, the Bobcats actually broke that long losing streak, and actually won a three games in a row, immediately after Ely came back from injury, and this still without two of their best players (Okafor and Wallace). Aside from Brezec, they don't even have another real power forward or center except Ely, except Voskuhl (until they traded for Baxter a few days ago).
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject:

critical_beatdown wrote:
I'm not saying Ely's the answer in his own right, or "dominant" by any stretch of the imagination, but strictly because of the role he would fill on our team. He can score down low, and has great hands. He's always been a scorer, his whole life, and has the confidence to do it. He can score with either hand, in either direction, and also has a hook shot. Plus, he's an excellent post passer, and a good rebounder.

You look at our team, especially last night, and what really stands out? Nobody who can score in the post, or consistently handle Lamar and Kobe's passes when they break down the defense. Ely can do that, which is why he's the perfect role playing piece for us this year, for this team.

And, for the record, the Bobcats actually broke that long losing streak, and actually won a three games in a row, immediately after Ely came back from injury, and this still without two of their best players (Okafor and Wallace). Aside from Brezec, they don't even have another real power forward or center except Ely, except Voskuhl (until they traded for Baxter a few days ago).
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Matching numbers is one thing. Having several talents, physical or skill-wise, all on the floor at the same time? Entire thing different altogether.

Didn't think that I had to mentioned this, but the above-listed examples was based on only one of them in the game at one time - which should be obvious outside of Mihm playing in the PF position (IMO - Mihm would be a good PF, hence my addition.

I don't have all the players' salaries, but it would be entirely possible that KBrown/Mihm/Turiaff/LO/Cook & KMart's salaries (Take off LO, would be very close. One would note that KMart is starting to have increasing problems at Denver. LO & KMart's rebound stats are similar, Cook's scoring (at times) are equal and/or greater than KMart.

Eli is a good player on a medicore team in a small market. The question would be how effective he could be within "The Triangle" and would it be a definitive upgrade from what the Lakers have. In addition, one would wonder how he would play in L.A., when he was with the Clippers - there were no opportunities to see how he would handle the pressure. Playing for the Lakers would be a lot more pressure than playing for the Clippers
dacolan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Emplay,

Any insight (or even speculation) as to why the Lakers would garantee Kwame's option? Is there any way to interpret this positively?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Didn't think that I had to mentioned this, but the above-listed examples was based on only one of them in the game at one time - which should be obvious outside of Mihm playing in the PF position (IMO - Mihm would be a good PF, hence my addition.

I don't have all the players' salaries, but it would be entirely possible that KBrown/Mihm/Turiaff/LO/Cook & KMart's salaries (Take off LO, would be very close. One would note that KMart is starting to have increasing problems at Denver. LO & KMart's rebound stats are similar, Cook's scoring (at times) are equal and/or greater than KMart.

Eli is a good player on a medicore team in a small market. The question would be how effective he could be within "The Triangle" and would it be a definitive upgrade from what the Lakers have. In addition, one would wonder how he would play in L.A., when he was with the Clippers - there were no opportunities to see how he would handle the pressure. Playing for the Lakers would be a lot more pressure than playing for the Clippers

My point is, KMart has 2-way ability. Example. Kwame can defend on man, but he can't finish consistently. Mihm can be a great shotblocker at times, but he's foul prone. Cook can't defend well man but is a great shooter. It's substituting one talent for the other. KMart is a combination of the talents, and that's what I meant, irregardless of the salaries.

I do like Ely as well, but I truly want a bonafied 2-way PF for the Lakers that can warrant 30-35 minutes per game, rather than "substituting talents."

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:

^
Martin would be a very good two-way player

Best thing about him?

We would have an answer to Tim Duncan, Amare and other elite PF's.

No, not in terms of scoring or dominance. But atleast someone that can make those guys work at both ends of the court and at the same time reduce the gap that is between at PF.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:

And K-Mart is one of 3 guys that Tim Duncan said he has problems with. The other 2 being 'Sheed and Camby.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

KMarts bones like Ive said b4 remind me of chalk. everytime he lands he winces. He has no jumper and he costs cheese. If we could get him for DG, Mihm and Slave AND THEN get Rlewis for LO yes. But sacrificing Mihm for him is a no no
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Just wondering why people would think that KMart (a high-energy/talented player who is older and shorter - except for Cookie - than the players that KMart would replace while playing only 29 minutes on a team that need quality "bigs") would be a good fit for the Lakers considering the following:

Kenyon Martin did great with a Jason Kidd-led Nets team because it was a transition game with one of the greatest PG giving him the ball where all he had to do was dunk - ala Nash to Stoudamaire. His stats are on a downward spiral upon moving to Denver. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/martike01.html )

To trade for a player where there are only 36 players paid more than himself (http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/104/kenyon_martin/), a lot is expected in L.A. that includes a lot more consistency than what he has shown - see http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/104/kenyon_martin/.

Could anybody answer why we would be interested in a player who has an EXPENSIVE & LONG contract, is getting into problems of various types in Denver, has bad knees and currently being shopped around by Denver - who need "bigs" since Nene has been injuried.
(See http://www.hoopsbuzz.com/ & http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spknotes094618897feb09,0,7859865.story?coll=ny-sports-print where "There's no question Denver has offered Kenyon Martin around the league, but the Nuggets are going to have a hard time finding any takers. Not even the free-spending Knicks are crazy enough to take on the remaining five years valued at $70.9 million for a player with bad knees."

=

For those who are interested, listed below are some stats to consider

STATS / KENYON MARTIN / LAMAR ODOM / KWAME BROWN / BRIAN COOK / CHRIS MIHM
MPG / 29.4 / 39.3 / 26.1 / 18.4 / 27.1
FG% / 49.7% / 44.6% / 46.2% / 51.8% / 51.4%
FT% / 72.9% / 69.2% / 53.5% / 81.2% / 71.7%
Off. Rebounds / 1.9 / 2,4 / 2.4 / 1.3 / 2.6
Def. Robounds / 5 / 7 / 4.2 / 1.9 / 3.6
BPG / 1.15 / .9 / .68 / .38 / 1.24
TO / 1.48 / 2.73 / 1.55 / .7 / 1.52
PPG / 14.2 / 13.9 / 6 / 7.9 / 10.6
APG / 1.5 / 5.4 / .9 / .9 / 1
DOB / 12/30/77 / 11/6/79 / 3/10/82 / 12/4/80 / 7/16/79
Height / 6'9" / 6'10" / 6'11" / 6'9" / 7'
Years in League / 5 / 6 / 4 / 2 / 5

http://www.nba.com/lakers/stats/index.html
http://www.nba.com/nuggets/roster/
http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/104/kenyon_martin/
Shakless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:

Leave Mihms out of this unless it is for an IMPACT player ala KG. Something is certainly in the works but it may not happen due to the " I want this then I want that " BS. We have little to offer other teams,
NO ASSETTS = NO STARS = NO CHAMPIONSHIPS

And besides do you really think a leak would come in here ? Please, only the few have an inside track and I have heard little or nothing of anything going on. Maybe by Thursday we will go back into our little purple and gold hole and rott until the off season and hope only for the best. :roll:
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
KMarts bones like Ive said b4 remind me of chalk. everytime he lands he winces.

Not to make light of this...

But you do know that Martin suffers from Turrets Syndrome, right?

That "wince" could be a "tick" for all we know.
B-Scott
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Lakers could be so much better if they stopped this obsession with Andrw bynum

Outgoing

Bynum
George expired contract
medvedenko expired contract

1# pick from Miami

Incoming

Jeff foster
Anthony johnson
Danny granger

why for pacers? they get a young C to go with David harrison and Oneal. Cap space.

C Jeff foster/ Mihm/kwame
PF Lamar/cook/turiaff
SF Danny granger/walton
G Kobe/smush/wafer
G Anthony johnson/sasha

much better rebounding and defensive team. jeff foster when healthy will get you 10 to 12 boards per game. he had 18 rebounds last night. HIGH IQ defender. Knows how to switch properly. Lamar will get you 10 to 12 boards a game. Granger is a young player. great defender. Very good rebounder for a 3. Thats 3 solid rebounders at the 5 4 and 3 spots. Johnson is a very solid on ball defender.

Major upgradee. Foster is only 28 yrs old. granger is 22.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: