Lakers defensive rankings after 23 games (will continue updating)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:
danzag wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
After last night's game, here is some more damning defensive data:
-Lakers are allowing opponents to shoot 69.5% on field goal attempts that are 0-3 feet away from the basket. The next worst team is allowing 68.4, but Houston took a significant hit with the Capella injury. The league average is 62.5%.
-Lakers have allowed a league worst 228 throwdowns. That's roughly 5 dunks a game for the opponent. The 2nd worst team has allowed 46 less throwdowns (182), and there isn't as much of a drop off after that.

Source: http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2017.html

It would be a severe understatement to say the Lakers have no rim protection right now.

I wonder what Mitch's been thinking, with that Mozgov 4 year contract.
We will never be a good team if he's our rim protector.

The odd thing is Mozgov was statistically a Top-15 or so rim protector in Cleveland. It's not an exaggeration to say he helped turn around an abysmal Cavaliers defense back in '14-'15. I was kind of bullish on Mozgov for this reason.

But he's been without doubt really bad this season. Part of it is bad guard defense and no help on his man when he goes to the rim (especially from Randle imo)... but he also just doesn't really go for blocks. I honestly wonder if he's even trying that hard on defense.

At least slow foot Roy Hibbert blocked shots. But to highlight how important situation is. Hibbert is one of the best in the league at defending the rim while last season he was near the bottom where Mozgov is currently.

Really? I have absolutely no recollection of Hibbert blocking shots. As a matter of fact my recollection is Hibbert is just like Moz in that they don't block shots, they try to alter them through "verticality" or length.

Moz is a lot better because to me he's more mobile. While we might put a lot of our issues on our last line of defense, my belief is that if Dlo & Lou are your guards, the main issue is the first line of defense.

Mozgov-1.1 blocks per 100 poss/1.9 block %
Hibbert-3.5 blocks per 100 poss/5.9 block %

They both are major liabilities outside of the paint.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

Still don't see how it's possible that we are a worse defensive team than we were last year. I mean, I wasn't expecting a juggernaut or anything, but at least a slight improvement?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

Looking at the numbers for defending the roll man on PnR

Randle is at about the 50th percentile. Mozgov is around the 40th percentile (ahead of guys like Marc Gasol/Tyson Chandler). My guy Cole Aldrich is 6th in the NBA out of guys who defend the PnR roll man at least 0.5 times a game.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:
danzag wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
-Lakers are allowing opponents to shoot 69.5% on field goal attempts that are 0-3 feet away from the basket. The next worst team is allowing 68.4, but Houston took a significant hit with the Capella injury. The league average is 62.5%.
-Lakers have allowed a league worst 228 throwdowns. That's roughly 5 dunks a game for the opponent. The 2nd worst team has allowed 46 less throwdowns (182), and there isn't as much of a drop off after that.

It would be a severe understatement to say the Lakers have no rim protection right now.

The odd thing is Mozgov was statistically a Top-15 or so rim protector in Cleveland. It's not an exaggeration to say he helped turn around an abysmal Cavaliers defense back in '14-'15. I was kind of bullish on Mozgov for this reason.

But he's been without doubt really bad this season. Part of it is bad guard defense and no help on his man when he goes to the rim (especially from Randle imo)... but he also just doesn't really go for blocks. I honestly wonder if he's even trying that hard on defense.

At least slow foot Roy Hibbert blocked shots. But to highlight how important situation is. Hibbert is one of the best in the league at defending the rim while last season he was near the bottom where Mozgov is currently.

Really? I have absolutely no recollection of Hibbert blocking shots. As a matter of fact my recollection is Hibbert is just like Moz in that they don't block shots, they try to alter them through "verticality" or length.

Moz is a lot better because to me he's more mobile. While we might put a lot of our issues on our last line of defense, my belief is that if Dlo & Lou are your guards, the main issue is the first line of defense.

Mozgov-1.1 blocks per 100 poss/1.9 block %
Hibbert-3.5 blocks per 100 poss/5.9 block %

They both are major liabilities outside of the paint.

Ok, got it. I had always been sour on Hibbert. He had like zero, one, or two rebounds in the playoffs in Indy. I'm like how does a 7footer get no rebounds playing 20 or 30 minutes in an important playoff game?

I'm sure that affected my memory of his shot blocking as a Laker.
Vesper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

It's no coincidence that both Mozgov and Deng have the worst defensive eff in their whole career this season with us....
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:
danzag wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Rim protection data for Hibbert:

Year (Team) - opponent field goals made / opponent field goals attempted, percentage

2016-2017 (Hornets) - 75/169, 44.4%
2015-2016 (Lakers) - 257/508, 50.6%
2014-2015 (Pacers) - 247/579, 42.7%
2013-2014 (Pacers) - 327/799, 40.9% (all-star season)

His rim protection was decent, but I'd have to look at the soft hedging data and see how many uncontested jumpers were given up. In terms of altering shots, he posted his worst statistical season with the Lakers, but much of that had to do with the Lakers guards giving up dribble penetration. That being said, he underperformed in all the other areas that there was little benefit to keeping him on the floor (poor offensive / rebounding numbers). I think Charlotte is utilizing him appropriately as a back up center. He can be effective in limited minutes.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Looking at the numbers for defending the roll man on PnR

Randle is at about the 50th percentile. Mozgov is around the 40th percentile (ahead of guys like Marc Gasol/Tyson Chandler). My guy Cole Aldrich is 6th in the NBA out of guys who defend the PnR roll man at least 0.5 times a game.

Maybe because your guy can't get more than deep bench minutes against scrubs on a team that is in the same neighborhood of bad as ours?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

I do like the caveat, "defend the pick and roll at least. 5 times per game though". Wild guess where that arbitrary and tiny cutoff came from...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

Just a thought: if both Hibbert and Mozgov are quality rim defenders before LA, and the one who leaves is one after, what would the common denominator be?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Just a thought: if both Hibbert and Mozgov are quality rim defenders before LA, and the one who leaves is one after, what would the common denominator be?

So defensive. that was the whole point.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I do like the caveat, "defend the pick and roll at least. 5 times per game though". Wild guess where that arbitrary and tiny cutoff came from...

I made it up out of thin air because if I upped it to 1, only 20 players would have made the cut. None from the Lakers, but I'm sure you have your own theory.

BTW-Mozgov would only get "deep bench minutes" (or close to) on 25 of the 30 other teams in the NBA too. Just like Aldrich.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Our defense this year has been disgusting
https://3ball.io/plays/lakers?playId=0021600626_44
https://3ball.io/plays/gallinari?playId=0021600626_12

Luke brought up the first play in his postgame interview

KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
As per Hollinger's team statistics, Lakers are now posting the worst defensive rating in the current decade (2010-2019) at 110.3. The next closest teams in terms of points given up per 100 possessions are the 2010-2011 Toronto Raptors (110) and the current Denver Nuggets (110.1).

This is, however, misleading for the following reasons:
- 3PT attempts are up and teams are playing at a faster pace, although defensive efficiency does normalize for pace (points given up per 100 possessions).
- Small ball line-ups often mean more points are given up, as no interior protection leads to easy scores for opponents.
- Nance is out and Lakers have taken a nosedive on both ends of the floor. His DBPM and def rating would say he's the best defender on the team. I'd go one step further and say he's a championship caliber player when healthy.
- Not including Zubac, Tarik is the closest thing to a rim protector on the team. Unfortunately, Luke is forcing him to be one and it's not working.

Here are the updated rankings:
-30th in defensive efficiency
-26th in opponent points per game
-30th in opponent FG%
-30th in blocks per game
-30th in points in paint allowed

I'm not posting this because I have an agenda against the Lakers or any player in particular. I just thought it was worth pointing out. To me, this would raise serious concerns on where the team is headed. Yes they are young, but it's not an excuse to stop giving effort on the defensive end. I've made the case that the defensive personnel are not there right now.

I'm not sure what else is worth posting that tells me this team is on a promising trajectory. It can be argued this team has taken a step back on the defensive end this season - they're playing worse defense than any Byron coached team I've seen.

Defensive efficiency rating is sitting at 110.5 after the Denver game. They managed to outdo their previous historically bad rating in one game.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
nash wrote:
tox wrote:
danzag wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Mozgov was top 15 rim protector and top 3 pick and roll center. Our young guns make centers look worse than they are. Our C has to cover our guards and our PF way too often and they have a tough time hitting a lob pass for a legit big over the defense. Just not a good fit.

The top 3 P&R center I take with a grain of salt, since being fed by Irving & LeBron is probably the best situation you can be, though he's undoubtedly a very good pick and roll finisher all things considered. I suspect Mozgov suffers from Randle/ Deng being poor spacers at their positions as much as Russell also being a statistically terrible P&R player.

But yeah, defensively it's hard for me not to blame our poor guard play (Russell of course but Young has low key been bad recently as well) and especially Randle. It was interesting watching Deng play the role of the helpside defender against the Pistons. He actually both prevented the lob to Drummond and stopped the pass to his original man in the corner.

Just glimpses of competent defensive play reveal how lacking our young guys are on that end. Most frustrating part is Russell looks okay when he's engaged, and Randle looks downright great when he's out there hustling. But neither sustains it for a full game, let alone an entire stretch of games.

I think the presence of Lebron on defense is huge as well and probably had a lot more to do with that teams' turnaround on D than Mozzy. Rim protection like all factors on defense is pretty reliant on teammates. Lebron really is that damn good. Cavs defensive rating was even better last year even though Mozgov barely played.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
tox wrote:
nash wrote:
tox wrote:
danzag wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Mozgov was top 15 rim protector and top 3 pick and roll center. Our young guns make centers look worse than they are. Our C has to cover our guards and our PF way too often and they have a tough time hitting a lob pass for a legit big over the defense. Just not a good fit.

The top 3 P&R center I take with a grain of salt, since being fed by Irving & LeBron is probably the best situation you can be, though he's undoubtedly a very good pick and roll finisher all things considered. I suspect Mozgov suffers from Randle/ Deng being poor spacers at their positions as much as Russell also being a statistically terrible P&R player.

But yeah, defensively it's hard for me not to blame our poor guard play (Russell of course but Young has low key been bad recently as well) and especially Randle. It was interesting watching Deng play the role of the helpside defender against the Pistons. He actually both prevented the lob to Drummond and stopped the pass to his original man in the corner.

Just glimpses of competent defensive play reveal how lacking our young guys are on that end. Most frustrating part is Russell looks okay when he's engaged, and Randle looks downright great when he's out there hustling. But neither sustains it for a full game, let alone an entire stretch of games.

I think the presence of Lebron on defense is huge as well and probably had a lot more to do with that teams' turnaround on D than Mozzy. Rim protection like all factors on defense is pretty reliant on teammates. Lebron really is that damn good. Cavs defensive rating was even better last year even though Mozgov barely played.

This is true and a reason we need perimeter defenders. No center can make up for the kind of defense the Lakers are playing at the other 4 positions. That is unless we get prime Shaq.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

The Lakers’ defensive rating remains one of the worst in the NBA.

*29th: points per 100 possessions (110.1).

*22nd in defensive rebounds

*28th in opponent points off turnovers.

*27th in allowing points in the paint (47.3)
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

Disgusting. No effort
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

What's it been the last 2 weeks?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Immediate improvement since starting Black on the last one, right?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Ironically, they've made some progress thanks to 1) Black starting 2) Nance returning to the rotation 3) Zubac altering shots down low.

Lakers are 8 points better on defense with Tarik Black starting:

Quote:
It might be easy to look at Black’s promotion through the prism of Timofey Mozgov being bad, necessitating the latter to be benched and every other C moving up a slot in the rotation. That, though, would be a mistake. For the season, Black is the only Laker where, when he is on the floor, the team has a positive efficiency differential. In his 720 minutes on the court, the Lakers have an offensive rating of 106.3 and a defensive rating of 104.1. That defensive rating is especially meaningful since the team posts a 112.3 rating when Black is on the bench. That +8.2 improvement when Black is on the floor is the best on the team.

Of course, Black is just a band-aid on a historically bad defensive team. He can't be the long term solution at center, although his hustle and energy are contagious. They need major roster changes to improve significantly, which is one of the reasons I'm on board with giving Larry Sanders a shot.

Defensive rankings:

27th in opponent points per game
29th in defensive efficiency
27th in opponent paint points per game
t-30th in blocks per game
29th in opponent FG%

Rim protection data:
(Name opponent field goals made / opponent field goals attempted, % opponent shoots at the rim):

Zubac 55/116 47.4%
Black 98/187 52.4%

Mozgov 142/260 54.6%
Randle 136/239 56.9%
TRob 45/77 58.4%
Nance 81/134 60.4%

From a statistical perspective, a rotation of Black-Zubac at center offers the best hope for rim protection, although Black lacks the size to block shots. Black has been solid, but I see him more as a placeholder until Zubac is ready. Would also love to evaluate guys like Larry Sanders, David Nwaba (possible g-league DPOY).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Ironically, they've made some progress thanks to 1) Black starting 2) Nance returning to the rotation 3) Zubac altering shots down low.

Lakers are 8 points better on defense with Tarik Black starting:

Quote:
It might be easy to look at Black’s promotion through the prism of Timofey Mozgov being bad, necessitating the latter to be benched and every other C moving up a slot in the rotation. That, though, would be a mistake. For the season, Black is the only Laker where, when he is on the floor, the team has a positive efficiency differential. In his 720 minutes on the court, the Lakers have an offensive rating of 106.3 and a defensive rating of 104.1. That defensive rating is especially meaningful since the team posts a 112.3 rating when Black is on the bench. That +8.2 improvement when Black is on the floor is the best on the team.

Of course, Black is just a band-aid on a historically bad defensive team. He can't be the long term solution at center, although his hustle and energy are contagious. They need major roster changes to improve significantly, which is one of the reasons I'm on board with giving Larry Sanders a shot.

Defensive rankings:

27th in opponent points per game
29th in defensive efficiency
27th in opponent paint points per game
t-30th in blocks per game
29th in opponent FG%

Rim protection data:
(Name opponent field goals made / opponent field goals attempted, % opponent shoots at the rim):

Zubac 55/116 47.4%
Black 98/187 52.4%

Mozgov 142/260 54.6%
Randle 136/239 56.9%
TRob 45/77 58.4%
Nance 81/134 60.4%

From a statistical perspective, a rotation of Black-Zubac at center offers the best hope for rim protection, although Black lacks the size to block shots. Black has been solid, but I see him more as a placeholder until Zubac is ready. Would also love to evaluate guys like Larry Sanders, David Nwaba (possible g-league DPOY).

Nwaba is a 6'4" 210 lbs. defensive specialist at the guard position (something that we sorely lack). He is a legit defender.
He is the "Michael Cooper" of the G-League. Hopefully he gets a camp invite if no one picks him up this season.
http://basketball.realgm.com/player/David-Nwaba/Summary/58185
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Since Tarik started (last 7 games), Lakers are 16th in the league in that time with a DRTG of 108.6.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

With Mozgov (and TRob) out of the rotation, here are the updated rim protection numbers for all active bigs:

Nance 89/148 60.1%
Randle 142/249 57.0%
Black 106/203 52.2%
Zubac 70/141 49.6%
(Marc Gasol: 176/355 49.6%)

The Zubac-Gasol comparisons gets eerier by the day.

*As expected, Zubac's effectiveness has decreased due to more PT. He's young, but the sample size is large enough to say he has promise as a defensive anchor. Like Ingram, he needs to get stronger to be more effective on both ends of the floor. He's still getting overpowered/abused by opponents. That's arguably his most glaring weakness right now.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
With Mozgov (and TRob) out of the rotation, here are the updated rim protection numbers for all active bigs:

Nance 89/148 60.1%
Randle 142/249 57.0%
Black 106/203 52.2%
Zubac 70/141 49.6%
(Marc Gasol: 176/355 49.6%)

The Zubac-Gasol comparisons gets eerier by the day.

*As expected, Zubac's effectiveness has decreased due to more PT. He's young, but the sample size is large enough to say he has promise as a defensive anchor. Like Ingram, he needs to get stronger to be more effective on both ends of the floor. He's still getting overpowered/abused by opponents. That's arguably his most glaring weakness right now.

The numbers are proving something I'm telling since last season, Nance just lacks the strength to play the small ball C role. He may be our best perimeter defender but players do whatever they want with him down low.

Zu is doing that without strength, with limited condition and he is 19 just like Ingram. HOF talent
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: