THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 429, 430, 431 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Gatekeeper"]
lakersken80 wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-student-freed-north-korea-204425775.html

Dead. Don't go to North Korea especially if you are an American.

Time to send that pig to the slaughterhouse. While we're at it, get rid of the commie SK president and his cronies.[/quote]
What you got against Moon? I support THAAD and nuclear power, but I get where he's coming from.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Look ma, it can talk!

We just heard Jared Kushner speak publicly for the first time in his White House role

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

"This is the President of Panama. We have a lot of things to discuss... The Panama Canal is doing quite well, we did a good job building it"

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
It looks like Sean Spicer will no longer do press briefings and will have a new role in the White House.

But not before he ruined his reputation.

Dammit! I'm gonna miss spicey
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Does this sound like a functional Democracy to you? Or something else?

Quote:
Christopher Hayes‏Verified account @chrislhayes

POTUS hasn't given an interview in weeks, a full press conference in months. Daily briefing can't be recorded. Senate writing bill in secret

There are still some Republican moderates who are iffy on the secret Trumpcare bill. They are going to try to vote next week before long July 4 weekend with NO HEARINGS, NO TOWNHALLS, NO COMMITTEE MEETINGS, NO BRIEFINGS. The Senators will get the bill then they will vote on it within 8 hours of having seen the bill for the first time. One-sixth of the economy. Every single American affected whether you are on the exchanges or not (lifetime caps for everyone, no allowance for pre-existing conditions for everyone, no basic preventative healthcare w/o copays, increased premiums and lower standards of coverage). This thing only has 8% approval nationwide. That includes the Red states. Apparently they think there will be no price to pay in 2018 because they feel safe due to voter suppression, gerrymandering (and maybe they think the Russians will help them again, who knows). If this is not okay with you, the time is now to speak up.

If you've never made a phone call to Congress, see the cheat sheet I posted on previous page with phone number and script.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Sanders is right. This bill isn't a healthcare bill. By design, it's a tax break bill for the top 1%.
Stripping healthcare is just a means to that end.
GOP Playbook:
Step 1) Decrease revenue by giving massive tax breaks to top earners.
Step 2) Care about the deficit when Dems are in power.

Income inequality was already a growing problem before the GOP took over. Now they're just pouring gasoline on the flames.

It's cruel. What's the thought process? It's like they're trying to punish lower and middle class families. "Sure we've successfully roadblocked pushes for an increase in federal minimum wage and/or a living wage. But why stop there? Lets take away their access to healthcare and government benefits too!"
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject:

White House Officials Push for Widening War in Syria Over Pentagon Objections

Quote:
Their plans are making even traditional Iran hawks nervous, including Defense Secretary James Mattis, who has personally shot down their proposals more than once, the two sources said.

The situation in southern Syria has escalated in recent weeks, after a U.S. warplane shot down an Iranian-made drone that had attacked U.S. forces on patrol with Syrian allies near an American outpost at al-Tanf. The drone attack came after two U.S. airstrikes on Iranian-backed Shiite militias, which had moved too close to the Americans’ garrison.

The Russians also made some vague threats toward U.S. over this. Trump response:
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Does this sound like a functional Democracy to you? Or something else?

Quote:

POTUS hasn't given an interview in weeks, a full press conference in months. Daily briefing can't be recorded. Senate writing bill in secret

There are still some Republican moderates who are iffy on the secret Trumpcare bill. They are going to try to vote next week before long July 4 weekend with NO HEARINGS, NO TOWNHALLS, NO COMMITTEE MEETINGS, NO BRIEFINGS. The Senators will get the bill then they will vote on it within 8 hours of having seen the bill for the first time. One-sixth of the economy. Every single American affected whether you are on the exchanges or not (lifetime caps for everyone, no allowance for pre-existing conditions for everyone, no basic preventative healthcare w/o copays, increased premiums and lower standards of coverage). This thing only has 8% approval nationwide. That includes the Red states. Apparently they think there will be no price to pay in 2018 because they feel safe due to voter suppression, gerrymandering (and maybe they think the Russians will help them again, who knows). If this is not okay with you, the time is now to speak up.

If you've never made a phone call to Congress, see the cheat sheet I posted on previous page with phone number and script.

I've contacted both the (Democratic) Senators of my state.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

[quote="ChefLinda"]Does this sound like a functional Democracy to you? Or something else?

Quote:

This is just appalling. The fact that so many appear to be blasé about it reflects, IMO, the chaos and constant swirling scandals of the Trump administration. Mitch McConnell the weasel is using the unending din about Trump to usurp the normal processes of the Senate. Again, he's done it before and gotten away with it. To stymie anything Obama proposed, to get a conservative appointment to the Supreme Court.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Sanders is right. This bill isn't a healthcare bill. By design, it's a tax break bill for the top 1%.
GOP Playbook:

Income inequality was already a growing problem before the GOP took over. Now they're just pouring gasoline on the flames.

It's cruel. What's the thought process? It's like they're trying to punish lower and middle class families. "Sure we've successfully roadblocked pushes for an increase in federal minimum wage and/or a living wage. But why stop there? Lets take away their access to healthcare and government benefits too!"

Yeah, this is their largest tax cut yet hidden as a health care bill. And what they are hoping is thst bybdropping a ton of high cost patients, capping benefits, reintroducing preexisting conditions and such, they can drive premiums down (you pay less up front and a ton on the back end) to trick the average consumer.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject:

Donald wants to be king. His court is doing all they can to make it so.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
GOP Playbook:

Yeah, this is their largest tax cut yet hidden as a health care bill. And what they are hoping is thst bybdropping a ton of high cost patients, capping benefits, reintroducing preexisting conditions and such, they can drive premiums down (you pay less up front and a ton on the back end) to trick the average consumer.

This is what happens when people don't vote their interests. Hope the GOP base enjoys their 'conservative values", when they're swiming in medical debt.
Maybe Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones will pay for little Timmy's asthma medication. Or grandma's cancer treatment. When you're rich I can understand latching more onto ideals. But when you're struggling, I don't understand how people can vote for less healthcare coverage. Mind boggling.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
GOP Playbook:

This is what happens when people don't vote their interests. Hope the GOP base enjoys their 'conservative values", when they're swiming in medical debt.
Maybe Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones will pay for little Timmy's asthma medication. Or grandma's cancer treatment. When you're rich I can understand latching more onto ideals. But when you're struggling, I don't understand how people can vote for less healthcare coverage. Mind boggling.

People tend to vote their world view.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

Trump world view: straight wealthy white male power reigns supreme, everyone else are just pawns to move around the chess board.

Trump voter world view: I'm with that guy because I think he'll protect me and screw everyone else. But even if I'm wrong and he screws me too, I'll stick with my world view until it kills me because at least I'm taking down all the coastal elites, liberals, gays, feminists, and black & brown people with me.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
GOP Playbook:

NPR this morning had a segment where they traveled to rural Tennessee to talk to people attending a free dental clinic. They all had serious dental issues and can't afford Obamacare insurance and make too much money to get a big tax relief. Thus they have to use free services paid for by others. And guess what? They all voted Trump and "hope" he fixes healthcare.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

Apparently Trump told some executives yesterday that the Senate bill still "doesn't have enough heart." When Trump says your bill is heartless and throws you under the bus, then you KNOW the bill is bad.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
GOP Playbook:

NPR this morning had a segment where they traveled to rural Tennessee to talk to people attending a free dental clinic. They all had serious dental issues and can't afford Obamacare insurance and make too much money to get a big tax relief. Thus they have to use free services paid for by others. And guess what? They all voted Trump and "hope" he fixes healthcare.

This is the collective American DELUSION that seems to be pervasive in the healthcare discussion, especially amongst the people who need it the most!!! Healthcare is EXPENSIVE. There are no affordable comprehensive plans that aren't being subsidized. Somebody is paying for it. It's either your employer, the government, or YOU. No amount of market forces in a for-profit system will EVER make healthcare affordable. I'm really gonna need this small town un-informed people to stop it. You can't even afford a heavily subsized Obamacare plan and you think ODT is gonna do something to help you get healthcare?? Meanwhile, you're marching into free clinics?? I can't with these mothersuckers. I CAN'T.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

And just to remind the confused, those with no healthcare insurance must still be treated. Do hospitals go out of business? No, they pass the unpaid cost of operations along to the insurers, in the form of higher rates for those who are insured.

The real value in providing healthcare to the poor is that it isn't just an act of humanity. It is a means of being proactive with potentially debilitating diseases, and improved population management so that you can treat people while they are only slightly sick or infirm, rather than treating them later when it becomes far more expensive.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
And just to remind the confused, those with no healthcare insurance must still be treated. Do hospitals go out of business? No, they pass the unpaid cost of operations along to the insurers, in the form of higher rates for those who are insured.

The real value in providing healthcare to the poor is that it isn't just an act of humanity. It is a means of being proactive with potentially debilitating diseases, and improved population management so that you can treat people while they are only slightly sick or infirm, rather than treating them later when it becomes far more expensive.

Hospitals also get gov't funding for their unpaid ER visits... the cost is shifted to tax payers
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

And a majority of the poor who would go untreated and/or suffer if Medicaid is gutted are: children, elderly and disabled. The parents/relatives of these people WORK but they are working poor. They don't make enough to afford either health insurance or subsidized health insurance. Or they are middle-class working family with an elderly relative in a nursing home, heavily subsidized by Medicaid. Without medicaid, these people would be kicked out of nursing homes they could no longer afford. Parents with disabled kid couldn't afford at-home care, visiting nurses, equipment, breathing machines, wheel-chairs, etc.

Robbing children, elderly and disabled (and their families) so rich people can get a tax cut is morally repugnant. People can spin it, twist it, justify if, explain it, but that's the bottom line. Heartless, cruel and definitely not Christian.

And there are in fact rural hospitals that WILL go out of business due to the cuts. So rural people, especially the poor, would also suffer.

Bottom line: more people will die and suffer so 1% can get tax cuts.

::shakes head::
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Exactly! That is a the main issue the ACA addressed. Health care costs for everyone! Imagine if auto insurance wasn't required. We'd have the same problem. And I'd be terrified to drive.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

Trump digs a hole, something digs him out. He dies on ACA and tweets, stock market hits all time high. Trump takes credit, his base eats it up. He even takes credit for the Panama Canal and they believe it.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Between reloading to see if Trump started a war with Korea, or to see if the Trumpcare bill leaked, or to see if the Lakers traded for PG13 yet, I think I need a tums. Or a drink.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Handel will win the special election. So much for Trump backlash and healthcare shenanigans leading to a blue wave. At some point the democrats need to start winning these elections.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 429, 430, 431 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 430 of 3663
Jump to: