THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 431, 432, 433 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

So Donnie admits he doesn't have tapes of Comey conversations. Shocker!
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

Between this and the laker offseason my productivity is 0.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

This is who is impacted when you gut, then do away with Medicaid:

bertrome
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

at some of the people who will be drastically affected by this horrid bill continue to vote against their interests and keep re-electing monsters like McConnell over and over again.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
He won on those concerned about jobs and the economy, and those most threatened with job loss where white workers who were unemployed, under-employed or had jobs under siege. They are the ones who finished off Hillary; they are concentrated, but by no means limited to the heartland states. If the Democrats want those votes back, they'll have to do a much better job of finding the pulse of that demographic segment, ferret out their insecurities, find answers, and excite them with those proposed answers. Telling them that their jobs are just yesterday's news due to globalization and automation isn't going to win their vote, and the vague promise of education doesn't feed their families or prepare them for a cloudy future.

The "pulse of that demographic segment" is resentment. So it's not really about finding answers to address their economic concerns, it's about channeling their anger. The Democrats have always had better and more rational answers to economic problems, but that segment of society doesn't want to hear it. Did you see his rally last night? It was frightening. Essentially, it was him telling them who they should hate, and they applauded every line like it was the greatest thing they've ever heard.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
So Donnie admits he doesn't have tapes of Comey conversations. Shocker!

And what a shock, he releases this info on same day that details of TrumpDeathCare gets released.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
He won on those concerned about jobs and the economy, and those most threatened with job loss where white workers who were unemployed, under-employed or had jobs under siege. They are the ones who finished off Hillary; they are concentrated, but by no means limited to the heartland states. If the Democrats want those votes back, they'll have to do a much better job of finding the pulse of that demographic segment, ferret out their insecurities, find answers, and excite them with those proposed answers. Telling them that their jobs are just yesterday's news due to globalization and automation isn't going to win their vote, and the vague promise of education doesn't feed their families or prepare them for a cloudy future.

The "pulse of that demographic segment" is resentment. So it's not really about finding answers to address their economic concerns, it's about channeling their anger. The Democrats have always had better and more rational answers to economic problems, but that segment of society doesn't want to hear it. Did you see his rally last night? It was frightening. Essentially, it was him telling them who they should hate, and they applauded every line like it was the greatest thing they've ever heard.

His economic argument to them during the election was all a lie and a sham. They didn't care. Now they know for sure it was all a lie, and they still don't care. What economic argument could Democrats possibly direct toward these people that would attract them?

It was all about "cultural anxiety and resentment." And "economic concerns" was an offshoot of the former.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

Backed into a corner. Donald had until tomorrow to produce alleged tapes. Classic case of Donald's mouth overloading his ass.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 1h1 hour ago
Quote:

With all of the recently reported electronic surveillance, intercepts, unmasking and illegal leaking of information, I have no idea...

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 1h1 hour ago

Quote:
Replying to @realDonaldTrump
...whether there are "tapes" or recordings of my conversations with James Comey, but I did not make, and do not have, any such recordings.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

His economic argument to them during the election was all a lie and a sham. They didn't care. Now they know for sure it was all a lie, and they still don't care. What economic argument could Democrats possibly direct toward these people that would attract them?

It was all about "cultural anxiety and resentment." And "economic concerns" was an offshoot of the former.

Well then if it's resentment without an underlying issue, then we'll just have to wait years and years for a change in the electorate.

I don't buy that, and I hope the Democratic Party leadership does some soul searching. It isn't just going 0-4 in special elections, it is having both houses and the presidency firmly in the hands of the GOP. Something has to change, you either have to hope for a surge of inspiring candidates for the presidency, congressional and senate seats (don't hold your breath), or you just have to continue to rationalize every election failure as an inevitability due to culture.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DC8f-iYW0AAFKhi.jpg

If this holds up the bill will fail. Dems only needed 3 Republican votes.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Well then if it's resentment without an underlying issue, then we'll just have to wait years and years for a change in the electorate.

I don't buy that, and I hope the Democratic Party leadership does some soul searching. It isn't just going 0-4 in special elections, it is having both houses and the presidency firmly in the hands of the GOP. Something has to change, you either have to hope for a surge of inspiring candidates for the presidency, congressional and senate seats (don't hold your breath), or you just have to continue to rationalize every election failure as an inevitability due to culture.

Another answer is to expand the electorate (not easy). Half the country didn't vote. Now you show them the consequences of not voting, engage in massive voter registration in every state, engage them in the political process (message, policy, platform, motivations, etc).

The Democratic party lost the white male vote (and most of their spouses) once the Civil Rights Act was signed. Instead of chasing the great white whale - expand the current coalition. Again, not easy. Obama did it. Hillary almost did it save for a once in a lifetime confluence of events (massive voter suppression after first presidential election post gutting of voting rights act, Russia hacking, WikiLeaks, anti-Hillary propaganda, misogyny, Comey announcements, TV celebrity candidate attracting 24/7 coverage who broke every political norm, etc.)

Trashing Pelosi, Warren, Clinton and any powerful female democratic leader is what the right is great at. It's upsetting when the left enables and helps them.

Anyway, I'm in the minority in this regard here, so I'll leave it at that.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
Another answer is to expand the electorate (not easy). Half the country didn't vote. Now you show them the consequences of not voting, engage in massive voter registration in every state, engage them in the political process (message, policy, platform, motivations, etc).

So many registered voters aren't showing up at the polls. This is why I'm a advocate for vote by mail. It's so easy. Take your time at home. At your leisure fill out your ballot, give it to your post person. This will increase voter participation. Which party will benefit most is unknown.

I've been voting by mail for years. I even feel better about some ballot measures. I spend time reading and I think I make better decisions on YES or NO

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
This is who is impacted when you gut, then do away with Medicaid:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DC2le5MWsAAn_DH.jpg

Almost 8 out of 10 poor kids.

Yay, let's make poor kids sick again, that will make America great again.

Hopefully this abomination does not get the votes.

I'd say the Republicans should be ashamed but I don't think they feel shame.

Last edited by SweetP on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

By the way, the whole Women's March Movement is aiming to do exactly that. Mentor and support women, gay and people of color to run for office. Engage in massive voter registration in those communities. Most of those calls to congress and protests are primarily from these groups.

And according to Emily's List (supporting female candidates), first time candidates for office among women is up something like 4000%.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

Some additional points about these past few special elections:

The seats were open because Trump picked people for his administration, leaving an opening.

They only picked people in solid, blood red districts precisely because they didn't want to lose the seat to a democrat.

They poured a ton of money into these races which hadn't been competitive in decades.

Despite that, the democratic candidates managed to swing the votes at least 20 or 30 points in the democratic direction, despite the losses.

So we can see the glass as half-empty or half-full. There is real momentum in the democratic direction heading toward 2018. It will be a lot of work, but it's not all doom and gloom either.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

I don't think the problem is Pelosi, Warren, Clinton, et al. Frankly, the only voters that these women negatively galvanize are those who wouldn't vote for a Democrat anyway. If you look at Pelosi's negative rating (about 20%) it is probably the same population of voters who think Trump is doing a great job (also in the 20% range). Write them off, they don't matter. They'll vote GOP come hell or high water. I think the strategy should be to better address the voters who were lost, and I don't think they were lost on the Civil Rights Act. That was back in the 1960s, and we've seen plenty of Democrats elected since that time.

Anyway, after dumping a record $30 million into a House seat and losing, I think it is time to do some soul searching. I'll dismount the soap box.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Barack Obama 30 mins · (via Facebook)

Our politics are divided. They have been for a long time. And while I know that division makes it difficult to listen to Americans with whom we disagree, that’s what we need to do today.

I recognize that repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act has become a core tenet of the Republican Party. Still, I hope that our Senators, many of whom I know well, step back and measure what’s really at stake, and consider that the rationale for action, on health care or any other issue, must be something more than simply undoing something that Democrats did.

We didn’t fight for the Affordable Care Act for more than a year in the public square for any personal or political gain – we fought for it because we knew it would save lives, prevent financial misery, and ultimately set this country we love on a better, healthier course.

Nor did we fight for it alone. Thousands upon thousands of Americans, including Republicans, threw themselves into that collective effort, not for political reasons, but for intensely personal ones – a sick child, a parent lost to cancer, the memory of medical bills that threatened to derail their dreams.

And you made a difference. For the first time, more than ninety percent of Americans know the security of health insurance. Health care costs, while still rising, have been rising at the slowest pace in fifty years. Women can’t be charged more for their insurance, young adults can stay on their parents’ plan until they turn 26, contraceptive care and preventive care are now free. Paying more, or being denied insurance altogether due to a preexisting condition – we made that a thing of the past.

We did these things together. So many of you made that change possible.

At the same time, I was careful to say again and again that while the Affordable Care Act represented a significant step forward for America, it was not perfect, nor could it be the end of our efforts – and that if Republicans could put together a plan that is demonstrably better than the improvements we made to our health care system, that covers as many people at less cost, I would gladly and publicly support it.

That remains true. So I still hope that there are enough Republicans in Congress who remember that public service is not about sport or notching a political win, that there’s a reason we all chose to serve in the first place, and that hopefully, it’s to make people’s lives better, not worse.

But right now, after eight years, the legislation rushed through the House and the Senate without public hearings or debate would do the opposite. It would raise costs, reduce coverage, roll back protections, and ruin Medicaid as we know it. That’s not my opinion, but rather the conclusion of all objective analyses, from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, which found that 23 million Americans would lose insurance, to America’s doctors, nurses, and hospitals on the front lines of our health care system.

The Senate bill, unveiled today, is not a health care bill. It’s a massive transfer of wealth from middle-class and poor families to the richest people in America. It hands enormous tax cuts to the rich and to the drug and insurance industries, paid for by cutting health care for everybody else. Those with private insurance will experience higher premiums and higher deductibles, with lower tax credits to help working families cover the costs, even as their plans might no longer cover pregnancy, mental health care, or expensive prescriptions. Discrimination based on pre-existing conditions could become the norm again. Millions of families will lose coverage entirely.

Simply put, if there’s a chance you might get sick, get old, or start a family – this bill will do you harm. And small tweaks over the course of the next couple weeks, under the guise of making these bills easier to stomach, cannot change the fundamental meanness at the core of this legislation.

I hope our Senators ask themselves – what will happen to the Americans grappling with opioid addiction who suddenly lose their coverage? What will happen to pregnant mothers, children with disabilities, poor adults and seniors who need long-term care once they can no longer count on Medicaid? What will happen if you have a medical emergency when insurance companies are once again allowed to exclude the benefits you need, send you unlimited bills, or set unaffordable deductibles? What impossible choices will working parents be forced to make if their child’s cancer treatment costs them more than their life savings?

To put the American people through that pain – while giving billionaires and corporations a massive tax cut in return – that’s tough to fathom. But it’s what’s at stake right now. So it remains my fervent hope that we step back and try to deliver on what the American people need.

That might take some time and compromise between Democrats and Republicans. But I believe that’s what people want to see. I believe it would demonstrate the kind of leadership that appeals to Americans across party lines. And I believe that it’s possible – if you are willing to make a difference again. If you’re willing to call your members of Congress. If you are willing to visit their offices. If you are willing to speak out, let them and the country know, in very real terms, what this means for you and your family.

After all, this debate has always been about something bigger than politics. It’s about the character of our country – who we are, and who we aspire to be. And that’s always worth fighting for.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I love you Barry but "compromise" is dirty word in politics nowadays. Its winner take all. God knows where that will take us.

!...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
They only need 3 Republican Senators to defect and vote with the Democrats to nix this abomination of a bill.

Never going to happen. No way will they break ranks. The GOP knows it has complete support of their insane and misguided constituency. No way they dispel the illusion.

Quote:
Most likely candidates Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski. And there may be one or two on the right who oppose because it doesn't go far enough. Apparently Rand Paul is not very happy and is going release a statement shortly.

As others have said all over the Internet - smoke and mirrors. It's great sound bite for appearances sake. But at the end of the day, he'll vote for it because he knows that people won't dig deeply.

Quote:
Whoever is making phone calls and showing to congressional offices, keep it up, the pressure is working.

Let's hope.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Between this and the laker offseason my productivity is 0.

You see, you're way ahead of me. Mine is always at 0.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Announcing opposition and voting are too different things. We will see who puts their money where their mouth is.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
I love you Barry but "compromise" is dirty word in politics nowadays. Its winner take all. God knows where that will take us.

Yep. Great words by a great leader. But they are words that will fall on deaf ears when it comes to the decision makers, for the very reason you mention.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Trashing Pelosi, Warren, Clinton and any powerful female democratic leader is what the right is great at. It's upsetting when the left enables and helps them.

Anyway, I'm in the minority in this regard here, so I'll leave it at that.

It's upsetting that realizing the reality of the political environment in 2017 gets reduced "enabling the GOP trashing".

And it's also upsetting that it keeps getting reduced to just the women. I think there are men and women in the Democratic ranks who have let the politics of change pass them by. I've ,mentioned Corey Booker in that regard several times.

The reality is, while I think Warren is a great woman and strong leader and was in full support of Hilary's candidacy, I do think there are a collection of long term politicians in the Democratic ranks who are as much a hinderance as they are an asset. There's nothing wrong in noticing it, and in no way does it "enable" the GOP. If anything, the unwillingness to re-address the Democrats approach helps the GOP even more.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
32 wrote:

If this holds up the bill will fail. Dems only needed 3 Republican votes.

Hopefully they only get enough so all those Republicans that voted for it will be on record as voting for the most malicious bill in American History
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 431, 432, 433 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 432 of 3671
Jump to: