THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 459, 460, 461 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/342456-mcconnell-senate-will-try-to-repeal-obamacare-with-delayed-replacement

Quote:
McConnell: Senate will try to repeal ObamaCare with delayed replacement

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said on Monday night the Senate will try to separate ObamaCare repeal and replacement, closing the door on the current GOP healthcare legislation.

"In the coming days, the Senate will vote to take up the House bill with the first amendment in order being what a majority of the Senate has already supported in 2015 and that was vetoed by then-President Obama: a repeal of Obamacare with a two-year delay to provide for a stable transition period," McConnell said in a statement.

And there you have it. Mitch went for his huge tax cut, but ultimately, due to fractions in the GOP, couldn't form a coalition to get it done. He succumbed to something that is well known in legislative circles, status quo inertia. That is, the existing law is usually difficult to repeal and replace with something else. The checks and balances provide too many roadblocks, and in this case, even getting last those wasn't enough.

So now he goes for the inertia shift. He asks for repeal set at a future date, which then, if it passes, forces something to be done to head off the big catastrophe, or if not, that's a win too.

Par for the course for congress to kick the can down the road. I'm sure everyone remembers the debt ceiling/government shutdown fights. I guess that's standard operating procedure now.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Jim Sciutto‏Verified account @jimsciutto

Just in: @SenFeinstein says #SpecialCounsel Mueller gave Senate Judiciary all-clear to interview Don Jr and Manafort in public session

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

Screw human rights.

Quote:
Donald Trump’s administration is closing the US State Department office tasked with investigating war crimes and trying to prevent genocides, reports suggest.

The Office of Global Criminal Justice, which holds war criminals to account, is being shut and its leader, Todd Buchwald, moved to a job in the department’s legal affairs unit, it has been claimed.

Rex Tillerson, the US Secretary of State, is said to be re-organising his department to focus more on America’s economic and military interests and less on issues such as human rights.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

The Trump administration (under the direction of Bannon and Putin) is basically sabotaging and destroying the U.S. government from within. Didn't even need to drop a bomb. Just fire people and don't rehire.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Just in: @SenFeinstein says #SpecialCounsel Mueller gave Senate Judiciary all-clear to interview Don Jr and Manafort in public session

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/tina-fey-amy-poehler-popcorn-golden-globes-2014.gif

And I thought Comey testimony was biggest must see TV in my lifetime
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

Well, that was fast: NYT: ‘Plan C’ on Obamacare, Repeal Now and Replace Later, Has Collapsed

Quote:
WASHINGTON — With their bill to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act in tatters, Senate leaders on Tuesday pushed to vote on a different measure that would repeal major parts of President Barack Obama’s health law without a replacement — but that plan appeared also to collapse.

Senators Susan Collins of Maine, Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, all Republicans, immediately declared they could not vote to repeal the Affordable Care Act without a replacement — enough to doom the effort before it could get any momentum.

“I did not come to Washington to hurt people,” Ms. Capito said in a statement. “I cannot vote to repeal Obamacare without a replacement plan that addresses my concerns and the needs of West Virginians.”

#AllWomen
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Well, that was fast: NYT: ‘Plan C’ on Obamacare, Repeal Now and Replace Later, Has Collapsed

Quote:
WASHINGTON — With their bill to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act in tatters, Senate leaders on Tuesday pushed to vote on a different measure that would repeal major parts of President Barack Obama’s health law without a replacement — but that plan appeared also to collapse.

Senators Susan Collins of Maine, Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, all Republicans, immediately declared they could not vote to repeal the Affordable Care Act without a replacement — enough to doom the effort before it could get any momentum.

“I did not come to Washington to hurt people,” Ms. Capito said in a statement. “I cannot vote to repeal Obamacare without a replacement plan that addresses my concerns and the needs of West Virginians.”

#AllWomen

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/tina-fey-amy-poehler-popcorn-golden-globes-2014.gif

And I thought Comey testimony was biggest must see TV in my lifetime

Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

#AllWomen

Hell yeah. Thank you!
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

#AllWomen

THANK YOU
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

When are the Republicans going to get over Obama and deal with the real issue, affordable health care?

Stop with the trying to make the rich richer.

Instead of trying to undo all he's done why not work to improve rather than eradicate.

What the party's doing to itself is going to do serious damage in midterms.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Mysterious 8th person at Trump Jr. meeting allegedly ran massive Russian money-laundering scheme. Irakly Kaveladze’s checkered past

Who's surprised? Raise your hand. Anyone?

And the reason his identity finally came to light is because Mueller's office asked one the attorneys for his identify.

And here's a video of Trump Sr having dinner with most of the people in this meeting from back in 2013: Link

Last edited by ChefLinda on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
When are the Republicans going to get over Obama and deal with the real issue, affordable health care?

Instead of trying to undo all he's done why not work to improve rather than eradicate.

There's too much money flowing from insurance and pharmaceuticals to all politicians for any real progress to be made. We barely got Obamacare with a supermajority in 2009. Take a look at some of the votes in the senate on prescription drug bills recently. You might be surprised who votes no, but you won't be surprised when you see that list directly correlates to how much lobbying money is received from insurance and pharma.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

There's too much money flowing from insurance and pharmaceuticals to all politicians for any real progress to be made. We barely got Obamacare with a supermajority in 2009. Take a look at some of the votes in the senate on prescription drug bills recently. You might be surprised who votes no, but you won't be surprised when you see that list directly correlates to how much lobbying money is received from insurance and pharma.

Wasn't Corey Booker one of the "good guys" who voted against lowering prescription drug prices? I seem to remember this thread throwing a collective (bleep) fit over it. But I may be mistaken.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/342456-mcconnell-senate-will-try-to-repeal-obamacare-with-delayed-replacement

Quote:
McConnell: Senate will try to repeal ObamaCare with delayed replacement

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said on Monday night the Senate will try to separate ObamaCare repeal and replacement, closing the door on the current GOP healthcare legislation.

"In the coming days, the Senate will vote to take up the House bill with the first amendment in order being what a majority of the Senate has already supported in 2015 and that was vetoed by then-President Obama: a repeal of Obamacare with a two-year delay to provide for a stable transition period," McConnell said in a statement.

And there you have it. Mitch went for his huge tax cut, but ultimately, due to fractions in the GOP, couldn't form a coalition to get it done. He succumbed to something that is well known in legislative circles, status quo inertia. That is, the existing law is usually difficult to repeal and replace with something else. The checks and balances provide too many roadblocks, and in this case, even getting last those wasn't enough.

So now he goes for the inertia shift. He asks for repeal set at a future date, which then, if it passes, forces something to be done to head off the big catastrophe, or if not, that's a win too.

Watching Mitch fail at passing his horrible law because even further right wing senators want MORE to be done is a strange feeling.
Reminds me of Game of thrones when Stannis Baratheon (burned daughter alive) fought the Boltons (skin people alive and commit sexual assault). I mean, I'm not rooting for anybody.
But I am enjoying the show as Mitch "the strategist" fails miserably. That obstructionist BS he pulled for 6 of Barack's years was total crap.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Screw human rights.

Quote:
Donald Trump’s administration is closing the US State Department office tasked with investigating war crimes and trying to prevent genocides, reports suggest.

The Office of Global Criminal Justice, which holds war criminals to account, is being shut and its leader, Todd Buchwald, moved to a job in the department’s legal affairs unit, it has been claimed.

Rex Tillerson, the US Secretary of State, is said to be re-organising his department to focus more on America’s economic and military interests and less on issues such as human rights.

Wouldn't want to have to investigate Russian Human Rights abuses.. just apologize to them and give them the codes
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Mysterious 8th person at Trump Jr. meeting allegedly ran massive Russian money-laundering scheme. Irakly Kaveladze’s checkered past

Who's surprised? Raise your hand. Anyone?

And the reason his identity finally came to light is because Mueller's office asked one the attorneys for his identify.

And here's a video of Trump Sr having dinner with most of the people in this meeting from back in 2013: Link

Adoption.. that is all they were planning to talk about

Last edited by ContagiousInspiration on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Why is lobbying money allowed?

When will the politicians be prosecuted for dereliction of duty.. they are traitors to the actual citizens of the country

There shouldn't be different courts for politicians and citizens.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Wasn't Corey Booker one of the "good guys" who voted against lowering prescription drug prices? I seem to remember this thread throwing a collective (bleep) fit over it. But I may be mistaken.

He was and it was a surprise to me though it shouldn't have because he's still a politician.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Booker did, yes. Then he tried to explain it as "the drugs need to be safe and we need to know where they're coming from" when he knows that those Canadian drugs are manufactured in the same factories in the United States as our current drugs. If he'd just been honest and said "we have a ton of pharmaceutical companies in New Jersey and they're my constituents too" it would have at least been honest.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

When will the politicians be prosecuted for dereliction of duty.. they are traitors to the actual citizens of the country

Lobbying money is free speech. That's how we get things like Citizens United.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I use to be surprised, not anymore when I see who does what, disappointed, not surprised.

I see how voters are treating their representatives at town hall meetings. I get the feeling they're saying ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Will this turn the political tide, I don't think so. If a couple incumbents lose their seats it may make some be a bit more attentive to the needs of their constituents though.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/05/james-bopp-citizens-united/

Just read most of it and while I dislike all he is doing he seems to be a tireless genius
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Booker did, yes. Then he tried to explain it as "the drugs need to be safe and we need to know where they're coming from" when he knows that those Canadian drugs are manufactured in the same factories in the United States as our current drugs. If he'd just been honest and said "we have a ton of pharmaceutical companies in New Jersey and they're my constituents too" it would have at least been honest.

The road to better healthcare is going to be very very long and many political careers will end because of it.

Of course, a public option is a good start.

!...
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/05/james-bopp-citizens-united/

Just read most of it and while I dislike all he is doing he seems to be a tireless genius

Yep. It won't stop until there's a constitutional amendment that starts with specifying that corporations are not people with regards to certain rights.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 459, 460, 461 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 460 of 3663
Jump to: