THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 465, 466, 467 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Spicer just resigned. Where can I pre-order his tell-all book?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/us/politics/sean-spicer-resigns-as-white-house-press-secretary.html?smid=tw-share
Trump appointed another Charlie McCarthy, Anthony Scaramucci. Sarah Huckabee will replace Spicer. Trump has a stranglehold on White House transparency.

Scaramooch's press conference leads me to believe he's going to say what Donald wants him to not what's really going on.

Asked what he's going to do to right the ship he said "The ship is going in the right direction." He keeps saying the American people really love the president. LINK

EDIT: Why in da hell do Donald's antics always preempt The Young and the Restless?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

It boggles my mind that there are possibly laws on the books that would allow Trump to pardon himself.

President Trump is considering pardoning himself. I asked 15 experts if that's legal.

LINK

Quote:
I reached out to 15 legal experts and asked them if the president has the constitutional authority to pardon himself. As it turns out, this is something of a legal gray area. The overwhelming consensus was that Trump could make a plausible legal argument that his pardoning powers extend to himself, mostly because the Constitution isn’t clear about this — and, frankly, because this is just not a situation the framers expected.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject:

^He sure can pardon himself. I hope he does.
It's an admission of guilt. Wouldn't stop the Mueller investigation. Mueller couldn't press any charges. But his findings will still be submitted.
And with that admission of guilt. Trump would open himself up to criminal prosecution on the state level. Which can't be pardoned away.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
It's an admission of guilt. Wouldn't stop the Mueller investigation. Mueller couldn't press any charges. But his findings will still be submitted.
And with that admission of guilt. Trump would open himself up to criminal prosecution on the state level. Which can't be pardoned away.

The bigger issue is that if he pardons himself, not only does he not save himself from prosecution on a state level, if called to testify, he could not plead the 5th.

Something tells me that there might be a couple of comrades who might not want him spilling the beans.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Washington Post: Sessions discussed Trump campaign-related matters with Russian ambassador, U.S. intelligence intercepts show

Quote:
Russia’s ambassador to Washington told his superiors in Moscow that he discussed campaign-related matters, including policy issues important to Moscow, with Jeff Sessions during the 2016 presidential race, contrary to public assertions by the embattled attorney general, according to current and former U.S. officials.

Ambassador Sergey Kislyak’s accounts of two conversations with Sessions — then a top foreign policy adviser to Republican candidate Donald Trump — were intercepted by U.S. spy agencies, which monitor the communications of senior Russian officials both in the United States and in Russia. Sessions initially failed to disclose his contacts with Kislyak and then said that the meetings were not about the Trump campaign.

One U.S. official said that Sessions — who testified that he has no recollection of the April encounter — has provided “misleading” statements that are “contradicted by other evidence.” A former official said that the intelligence indicates that Sessions and Kislyak had “substantive” discussions on matters including Trump’s positions on Russia-related issues and prospects for U.S.-Russia relations in a Trump administration.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
kikanga wrote:

The bigger issue is that if he pardons himself, not only does he not save himself from prosecution on a state level, if called to testify, he could not plead the 5th.

Something tells me that there might be a couple of comrades who might not want him spilling the beans.

And If anyone lives after being pardoned, they could still be prosecuted for perjury as a result of the evidence that was gathered up until that point which may have forced the pardon in the 1st place. In other words, they could not make a deal with trump to pardon them only to lie about their dealings with trump and Russia later because that could still subject them to further criminal prosecution. Trump cannot pardon for future crimes.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

How ironic would it be if a US President being assassinated by the Russians would be considered a good thing by the West.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Sessions is Trumps cyanide. I have a feeling he's going to flip on him. He may have the Russian dirt.

Intercepts suggest Sessions discussed Trump campaign matters with Russia envoy: report

LINK

EDIT: I think Trump may have known about the meetings and discussion because Sessions told him. I think Trump may be secretly asking Jeff to step down and he'll somehow be compensated.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:

In this day and age do we need someone to flip if we have them on audio?
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Sessions is Trumps cyanide. I have a feeling he's going to flip on him. He may have the Russian dirt.

Intercepts suggest Sessions discussed Trump campaign matters with Russia envoy: report

LINK

Manafort and Flynn also have good reasons to flip on Trump, to help themselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Garrett M. Graff‏Verified account @vermontgmg

Every GOP figure I've spoken to at #AspenSecurity assumes Trump leaked this to force Sessions out. "Certainly not a Mueller leak," one said.

People think Trump leaked the Washington Post story to force/fire Sessions out so he can appoint a new AG who will fire Mueller for him.

Sounds like Trump. He doesn't give a (bleep) about revealing Russian collusion, he just cares that no one goes through his personal criminal business enterprise.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Every GOP figure I've spoken to at #AspenSecurity assumes Trump leaked this to force Sessions out. "Certainly not a Mueller leak," one said.

People think Trump leaked the Washington Post story to force/fire Sessions out so he can appoint a new AG who will fire Mueller for him.

Sounds like Trump. He doesn't give a (bleep) about revealing Russian collusion, he just cares that no one goes through his personal criminal business enterprise.

Is there anybody Trump cannot fire?
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump camp leaked it. Wants someone in as AG that he can manipulate to fire Muller or at least impede him.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject:

I met Gavin Newsom today in the lobby of a building where I'm working in downtown SF near the Ball Park. I was pretty geeked.

Asked him if he'd run for POTUS in 2020. He said it wasn't on his radar.

Kinda OT but still pretty cool.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
I met Gavin Newsom today in the lobby of a building where I'm working in downtown SF near the Ball Park. I was pretty geeked.

Awesome. It's not in his radar because he's been stating that his next stop is the Governor's office. There's a lot of support for him to get to that position.

He seemed to do well (except for the affair) in SF, but perhaps people who lived in SF proper (instead of me in San Carlos) would know better.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

He can't interfere in an FBI investigation. He can't fire a State Attorney General (like Schneiderman in NY). He can appoint a new Attorney General but he would need Senate confirmation. After being burned by lying sack of (bleep) Jeff Sessions, they are less likely to approve a complete Trump lackey this time around.

Comey had a plan in case he was fired. Mueller was his back-up plan. I have no doubt that Mueller also has a back-up plan in case he's fired.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Borrowed from Twitter:

Quote:
FDR: Nothing to fear but fear
Truman: The buck stops here
JFK: Ich bin ein Berliner
Reagan: Tear down this wall
Trump: Can I pardon myself?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

That coincides with my earlier narrative, that Trump wants Sessions to resign so that he can fire Mueller via a new AG, one that hasn't been recused.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Can't fire Mike Pence.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

The awesomeness counters the off topicness for sure!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

Awesome. It's not in his radar because he's been stating that his next stop is the Governor's office. There's a lot of support for him to get to that position.

He seemed to do well (except for the affair) in SF, but perhaps people who lived in SF proper (instead of me in San Carlos) would know better.

Oh man, I miss Emergency BBQ. If you're in San Carlos and have never eaten there, you should.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

The awesomeness counters the off topicness for sure!

I was in total fanboy mode
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

The affair may be his best attribute. Funny how politicians accused of affairs make good representatives, JFK, Clinton, Weiner.

lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for the temporary derail

Carry on.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Joy Reid‏Verified account @JoyAnnReid

More from my GOP source: White House needs Sessions to quit. Firing him could be the rare thing that hurts Trump with deep south R voters...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 465, 466, 467 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 466 of 3671
Jump to: