THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 469, 470, 471 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Last time I'll say it today. But screw McCain!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFm7M0KUQAAw03o.jpg

Has he voted on the health care bill?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

He voted "Yes" on Motion to Proceed. The next vote is on the bill itself. The next step only requires 51 votes to pass the bill (or 50 votes plus VP Pence as the tiebreaker).

No one knows what's in the bill. It's being done in secret. Normally, the Senate does not vote to "Proceed" before they have an actual bill. This is the sneaky backdoor way of greasing the skids for the actual bill to pass quickly without time for the public to assess or weigh in.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

He voted "Yes" on Motion to Proceed. The next vote is on the bill itself. The next step only requires 51 votes to pass the bill (or 50 votes plus VP Pence as the tiebreaker).

No one knows what's in the bill. It's being done in secret. Normally, the Senate does not vote to "Proceed" before they have an actual bill. This is the sneaky backdoor way of greasing the skids for the actual bill to pass quickly without time for the public to assess or weigh in..

It is just a cesspool

I just hope Mueller hurries.. maybe dethrones some of these asshats and stops this trainwreck

I hope Paul Ryan is caught up in this Russia stuff too
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Exclusive
Psychiatry group tells members they can ignore ‘Goldwater rule’ and comment on Trump’s mental health

https://www.statnews.com/2017/07/25/psychiatry-goldwater-rule-trump/

Quote:
Called the “Goldwater rule,” the prohibition on offering opinions about the mental state of public figures was adopted after some psychiatrists answered a 1964 survey on whether Sen. Barry Goldwater, the Republican presidential candidate that year, was mentally fit for the Oval Office. The rule states that it is unethical to offer a professional opinion about a public figure’s mental health, including the presence or absence of a disorder, without that person’s consent and without doing a standard examination. In March, the psychiatric association reaffirmed the rule.

The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President Hardcover – October 3, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Case-Donald-Trump-Psychiatrists/dp/1250179459/

"Fake Science" will be Trumps response.. I am sure
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
CBO: Under the Senate health plan, your annual deductible could be $13,000 or more

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/25/cbo-deductibles-under-the-senates-better-care-plan-could-be-13000.html

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I know this isn't politicially correct to say. But screw John McCain.

I don't know why. Any integrity he ever had evaporated decades ago. He has been horrible for the country. How he continues to enjoy this reputation as a moderate or a guy who goes against his party is baffling to me. Just another Trump lapdog.

He'll buck the party once in a while, and left-leaning voters eat it up. Just look back in this thread at how some posters lionized McCain and Lindsey Graham because they were anti-Trump on a few issues.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Don't expect Mueller's investigation to solve anything or everything. You'll be very disappointed if it goes nowhere. Instead, listen to what the party leaders are saying. They see that all the focus on Russia isn't polling well and won't lead to any victory in 2018 or 2020.

Quote:
Trump had ‘The Art of the Deal.’ Now Democrats say their economic agenda is ‘A Better Deal.’

Completely sapped of power in Washington, top leaders of the Democratic Party now believe that the best way to fight a president who penned “The Art of the Deal” is with an economic agenda that they plan to call “A Better Deal.”

The campaign-style motto, panned by some liberal activists as details began to trickle out ahead of the Monday rollout, is designed to revive a party desperate to win back at least some control next year. The push comes months earlier than most campaign-year sales pitches begin — an acknowledgment of the need to shore up public opinion of the Democratic Party in the faster pace of modern politics.

Democratic leaders shared few details to preserve suspense around the plan, which is scheduled to be unveiled Monday at an event in Virginia’s 10th Congressional District, where the party hopes to defeat incumbent Rep. Barbara Comstock (R). But some lawmakers, aides and outside advocates consulted on the new agenda said that it is expected to focus on new proposals to fund job-training programs, renegotiate trade deals and address soaring prescription-drug costs, as well as other issues. It is also expected to endorse long-held Democratic principles, including “a living wage” of $15 per hour and already unveiled spending plans for infrastructure that would expand broadband Internet access into rural counties.

The rollout comes as Democrats continue to struggle to sell a coherent message to voters. In a recent Washington Post-ABC News poll, 37 percent of Americans said that the party “currently stands for something,” while 52 percent said it “just stands against Trump.” The same poll found that Trump’s overall approval rating has deteriorated to 36 percent — making him the most unpopular president of the modern era at this point in his presidency.

Those findings resonate with party leaders who are still stunned by Trump’s come-from-behind victory last year.

“When you lose to somebody who has 40 percent popularity, you don’t blame other things — Comey, Russia — you blame yourself,” Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said in an interview previewing the new plan. “So what did we do wrong? People didn’t know what we stood for, just that we were against Trump. And still believe that.”

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) agreed, explaining in a separate interview that the new focus “is not a course correction, but it’s a presentation correction.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-had-the-art-of-the-deal-now-democrats-say-their-economic-agenda-is-a-better-deal/2017/07/22/c1f54b8c-6d56-11e7-9c15-177740635e83_story.html
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

I don't care if it polls well. Just get to the truth. End of story. This way, we won't have 9 commissions on a witch hunt and wasting valuable time and money for political gain.

If something happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Just let the process move forward.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Polling has nothing to do with indicting people for criminal activity. Mueller is not the only prosecutor with the ability to pursue criminal activity. Public opinion can be swayed by criminal convictions after the fact. See Watergate.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I know this isn't politicially correct to say. But screw John McCain.

I don't know why. Any integrity he ever had evaporated decades ago. He has been horrible for the country. How he continues to enjoy this reputation as a moderate or a guy who goes against his party is baffling to me. Just another Trump lapdog.

I think he got a pass for his past, but yeah . . . he killed any sense of respect anyone could possibly have for him.

Especially since he's a lap dog to a POS who completely disrespected McCain during his campaign.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
I don't care if it polls well. Just get to the truth. End of story. This way, we won't have 9 commissions on a witch hunt and wasting valuable time and money for political gain.

If something happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Just let the process move forward.

Nobody is saying don't investigate. They're saying don't make it the centerpiece of future election strategy. It's not working, and if nothing comes of the investigations then 2018/20 are as good as conceded.

Last edited by DuncanIdaho on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
tlim wrote:

Nobody is saying don't investigate. They're saying don't make it the centerpiece of future election strategy.

Who here or anywhere said the Democrats should make it the centerpiece of the 2018 elections? In this thread we've talked about economic arguments and healthcare if it gets taken away.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
tlim wrote:

Nobody is saying don't investigate. They're saying don't make it the centerpiece of future election strategy.

Who here or anywhere said the Democrats should make it the centerpiece of the 2018 elections? In this thread we've talked about economic arguments and healthcare if it gets taken away.

See the WaPo article I just posted. Schumer, Pelosi and other party leaders are presenting a new message that is more than "we're not Donald Trump." That message is less popular than Trump himself.

They're trying to make that message stronger than "Russia Russia Russia" because that's currently all that's dominating the news media.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
tlim wrote:

See the WaPo article I just posted. Schumer, Pelosi and other party leaders are presenting a new message that is more than "we're not Donald Trump." That message is less popular than Trump himself.

They're trying to make that message stronger than "Russia Russia Russia" because that's currently all that's dominating the news media.

Even though Trump thinks the media is "liberal" doesn't mean they help democrats get their message out. One candidate this past election had tons of detailed policy positions, jobs plans and ideas to help the average working person. But the networks and newspapers didn't cover those speeches, they covered Trump being Trump. I hope the Democrats do massive voter registration drives and coordinate getting their people on the Sunday shows and the news every night, or Trump will continue to dominate the news be it positive or negative. This is as much a media problem as it is a political problem.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
tlim wrote:

Even though Trump thinks the media is "liberal" doesn't mean they help democrats get their message out. One candidate this past election had tons of detailed policy positions, jobs plans and ideas to help the average working person. But the networks and newspapers didn't cover those speeches, they covered Trump being Trump. I hope the Democrats do massive voter registration drives and coordinate getting their people on the Sunday shows and the news every night, or Trump will continue to dominate the news be it positive or negative. This is as much a media problem as it is a political problem.

Yeah he had by far the most free advertising in history. It was absurdly more than anyone else. The media is as responsible as anyone for the outcome of the election. It was good for their bottom line. It still is.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject:

@LisaMascaro
Quote:
To recap, the Senate Republican's repeal/replace fails w/9 Rs NO: Collins, Corker, Cotton, Graham, Heller, Lee, Moran, Murkowski, Paul

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

McCain was a disappointment. His recent health problems had me believing he'd be more understanding of the plight of the poor.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
@LisaMascaro
Quote:
To recap, the Senate Republican's repeal/replace fails w/9 Rs NO: Collins, Corker, Cotton, Graham, Heller, Lee, Moran, Murkowski, Paul

That's just the first pass at voting. They will tinker, threaten, cajole, blackmail and bribe to get to 50 votes. Some of those R's are actually protecting their constituents (Collins, Murkowski) the others on the far right want a complete repeal and dismantling of Medicaid.

Edited to add: The hypocrite John McCain despite his speech, voted YES in this round. He voted YES to repeal Obamacare without having a clue as to what's in the GOP bill except that it's as bad or worse than all the other GOP bills that have come before. So there you go. Heathcare, it's good enough for McCain but the rest of you can (bleep) off.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

After listening to McCain's speech I retract my disappointment in his vote. His vote to move the bill forward doesn't mean it will pass. I glean he's looking to get bipartisan support. Getting both parties working together to fix what's wrong with Obamacare not scrap it.

I look for many amendments to the present bill. It's a long way from passing.

McCain returns to Senate floor (full speech)

LINK

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
After listening to McCain's speech I retract my disappointment in his vote. His vote to move the bill forward doesn't mean it will pass. I glean he's looking to get bipartisan support. Getting both parties working together to fix what's wrong with Obamacare not scrap it.

LINK

No, jodeke. See my post above. He just voted for it, as is.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

It allows the bill to move forward, it doesn't mean it'll pass. See my edit

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

It allows the bill to move forward, it doesn't mean it'll pass. See my edit

They took TWO VOTES:

First vote - Motion to Proceed: McCain voted Yes
Second vote - Actual vote to repeal and replace Obamacare: McCain voted Yes

Sorry, you're wrong on this.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

LINK

Sorry to say this when we are celebrating your umpteenth birthday, but McCain is a self serving bastard and if you buy into his BS you are a fool.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

@ CL & DMR I understand his vote to repeal and replace.

If I have it right that means they must have something to replace it with. As I understand it the bill as is will have to be tweaked. This bill is far from becoming law.

What would a McCain no vote have accomplished?

DMR You're in full DMR mode, implying if people think a certain way they're fools. That's not civil. LINK

EDIT: Listening to Elizabeth Warren I get what you guys are saying.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
@ CL & DMR I understand his vote to repeal and replace.

If I have it right that means they must have something to replace it with. As I understand it the bill as is will have to be tweaked. This bill is far from becoming law.

What would a McCain no vote have accomplished?

DMR You're in full DMR mode, implying if people think a certain way they're fools. That's not civil.

That was a real vote. If 60 senators had voted Yes, Obamacare would have been repealed right then and there to be replaced with whatever crap bill McConnell could stick in there.

All that stuff McCain said was (bleep). He's a hypocrite. When push came to shove, he voted with McConnell to repeal without giving a (bleep) what the replacement would be.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 469, 470, 471 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 470 of 3663
Jump to: