THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 525, 526, 527 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
just a reminder of the un-american, un-patriotic things Trump has said in the past 2 weeks alone

“I want to thank [Putin] because we’re trying to cut down our payroll, and as far as I’m concerned, I’m very thankful that he let go of a large number of people because now we have a smaller payroll,” Trump said, flashing a small grin.

And now this Nazi sympathizing gesture...

Conservatives/republicans... care to condemn?

Naw, they're too busy getting upset because people are criticizing Trump's leadership skills.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
http://mailchi.mp/cnn/reliable-august-16-2017

Quote:
Carl Bernstein on Wednesday's "AC360:" "I think there's considerable evidence that there is a consensus developing in the military; at the highest levels in the intelligence community; among Republicans in Congress; including the leaders in the business community" that President Trump "is unfit to be the President of the United States."

Bernstein has been alluding to this for a while. But he's saying it more forcefully now. "I've talked to some of the military leaders," he said Wednesday, "and what they are saying is extraordinary... They have given up on this president..."

He added: "I think all reporters need to be checking their sources and finding out what people on the Hill and in the military and in the intelligence community are saying... about the stability and the mental condition of the president of the United States. This is something we haven't dealt with before."

I think there is a consensus developing in the cognizant general public as well
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject:

I made a joke today about how Trump is dying for a different crisis to take the heat off Charlottesville.
He's calling Kim in NK and people in ISIS. Just begging them to make a public threat. And their like. NAH. You're destroying America way better than we ever could.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
http://mailchi.mp/cnn/reliable-august-16-2017

Quote:
Carl Bernstein on Wednesday's "AC360:" "I think there's considerable evidence that there is a consensus developing in the military; at the highest levels in the intelligence community; among Republicans in Congress; including the leaders in the business community" that President Trump "is unfit to be the President of the United States."

Bernstein has been alluding to this for a while. But he's saying it more forcefully now. "I've talked to some of the military leaders," he said Wednesday, "and what they are saying is extraordinary... They have given up on this president..."

He added: "I think all reporters need to be checking their sources and finding out what people on the Hill and in the military and in the intelligence community are saying... about the stability and the mental condition of the president of the United States. This is something we haven't dealt with before."

I think there is a consensus developing in the cognizant general public as well

They can dismiss the general public and the media, but when the military starts refusing his orders, the "Deep State" will have officially begun.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

If you read the report, it claims the contrary...

Quote:
Most of the groups are concentrated in Southern California, the San Francisco Bay area and the Sacramento region, the report says.

Not sure how familiar you are with this state, but all of those are pretty vast areas. I mean "Southern California" covers a number of very varied counties. There are many very rural areas in SoCal. You go out to places like Hemet etc. and it is night and day from Venice. Same with Sacramento region. Sure the capital is there, but the rest of the central valley is vastly different, and again, VERY RURAL.

No real need to be familiar, here is the actual map, which includes the exact locations of each group. I am really not sure why you or anyone would be defensive over the statement, there is no insinuation that because a KKK or Black Separatist group resides in your town, it implies anything about other members of the community.

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I took exception to one comment he made when her referred to "the so-called president of the United States". He is questioning the legitimacy of the office, and there is no question that Trump is the legitimate POTUS..

And Birthers born from Trump's BS questioned Obama's legitimacy. I mean seriously. The hypocrisy of your comment is staggering, but not surprising since hypocrisy is virtually a requirement for being a conservative these days.

The Right uses terms like "snowflake" to deride people who criticize the GOP and their policies. But you take exception to a celebrities opinion. I won't speak for anyone else, but when someone says "so-called President" in regards to Trump it is because while he may have the office, he is anything and everything BUT Presidential. It's like if someone called an NBA player a "so-called Point Guard", they aren't disputing that the guy is actually on a roster as a PG. They are saying that he isn't delivering on the responsibility of the job. I mean come on. The fact that you took exception to that comment while you make excuses for the current guy in the office speaks volumes as to the lack of credibility in your points.

making that statement about me removes your credibility.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:
Most of the groups are concentrated in Southern California, the San Francisco Bay area and the Sacramento region, the report says.

Not sure how familiar you are with this state, but all of those are pretty vast areas. I mean "Southern California" covers a number of very varied counties. There are many very rural areas in SoCal. You go out to places like Hemet etc. and it is night and day from Venice. Same with Sacramento region. Sure the capital is there, but the rest of the central valley is vastly different, and again, VERY RURAL.

No real need to be familiar, here is the actual map, which includes the exact locations of each group. I am really not sure why you or anyone would be defensive over the statement, there is no insinuation that because a KKK or Black Separatist group resides in your town, it implies anything about other members of the community.

Not defensive at all. Just pointing

Believe me, I grew up in this state. I'm well aware that there is racism here, and I am aware of where the concentrations are. Seen it. Lived it. I'm just pointing out the vastness of diversity and geography that goes into the discussion and how it breaks down.

The reality is, you go to any state, county, city, neighborhood, or even streets in the country, you're going to find someone who is racist. That's the unfortunate thing. The problem is, our current Administration has given those racists legitimacy. So maybe we should be worrying about that rather than wasting time trying to say where the biggest racists are.

I'm not defending California or ant part of it. I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is to worry go on and on about where they are. They are everywhere, and the blight they bring is on THEM personally. Not on the places they may reside. I believe it was you who felt the need to point fingers as to where the racists resided. THAT hints to me much more about being "defensive" than pointing out the logistics involved.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

The talking points today are (1) the death of free speech in this country and (2) the left's refusal to acknowledge that there is a violent left which reared its ugly head during the campaign cycle as seen at all the Trump events. The conservative talk radio really does put left protesters in the same box as Nazis. There is no attempt to distinguish the two. It's sickening.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

Believe me, I grew up in this state. I'm well aware that there is racism here, and I am aware of where the concentrations are. Seen it. Lived it. I'm just pointing out the vastness of diversity and geography that goes into the discussion and how it breaks down.

The reality is, you go to any state, county, city, neighborhood, or even streets in the country, you're going to find someone who is racist. That's the unfortunate thing. The problem is, our current Administration has given those racists legitimacy. So maybe we should be worrying about that rather than wasting time trying to say where the biggest racists are.

I'm not defending California or ant part of it. I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is to worry go on and on about where they are. They are everywhere, and the blight they bring is on THEM personally. Not on the places they may reside. I believe it was you who felt the need to point fingers as to where the racists resided. THAT hints to me much more about being "defensive" than pointing out the logistics involved.

ok, I understand what your saying, but to someone that is not from the area, I did find it surprising at a group like the KKK could be based in San Francisco. Sure it is ignorance on my part, but i would not have assumed a group like that would reside there. I mean there is a Holocaust Denial group based in Key West! I find that fascinating.....Anyone that has spent time in Key West has to wonder where do they hide on that tiny free spirited island.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I took exception to one comment he made when her referred to "the so-called president of the United States". He is questioning the legitimacy of the office, and there is no question that Trump is the legitimate POTUS..

And Birthers born from Trump's BS questioned Obama's legitimacy. I mean seriously. The hypocrisy of your comment is staggering, but not surprising since hypocrisy is virtually a requirement for being a conservative these days.

The Right uses terms like "snowflake" to deride people who criticize the GOP and their policies. But you take exception to a celebrities opinion. I won't speak for anyone else, but when someone says "so-called President" in regards to Trump it is because while he may have the office, he is anything and everything BUT Presidential. It's like if someone called an NBA player a "so-called Point Guard", they aren't disputing that the guy is actually on a roster as a PG. They are saying that he isn't delivering on the responsibility of the job. I mean come on. The fact that you took exception to that comment while you make excuses for the current guy in the office speaks volumes as to the lack of credibility in your points.

Eh, I'm good. I'm just speaking to what has been demonstrated here in regards to the things you have said and the manner in which you have done so. If you feel differently than what you have previously expressed, then I am sure you can find the words to demonstrate that.

A good way to start would be to stop expressing dismay because people are critical of Trump and the GOP he has hogtied. Rather than whine about who is calling him out and why, understand why the criticism is coming. If you truly care about the direction of the nation for all people, it shouldn't be hard. The next thing you could do is you could stop trying to play this weird, "you guys got more racists" game. Where the Nazi's and racists s reside isn't the issue. What they say and do is.

I apologize if my read of what you have expressed so far doesn't suit your self-identification. All I can do is go by what is on the record. But I am more than willing to re-calibrate if you can start giving reasons to do so.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ok, I understand what your saying, but to someone that is not from the area, I did find it surprising at a group like the KKK could be based in San Francisco. Sure it is ignorance on my part, but i would not have assumed a group like that would reside there. I mean there is a Holocaust Denial group based in Key West! I find that fascinating.....Anyone that has spent time in Key West has to wonder where do they hide on that tiny free spirited island.

Racists are all amongst us. They are human too and want the benefits of big city living just as much as the next person. However, to survive, as you point out, they must hide and conduct their racism in secrecy. Look at the man who was fired from the hot dog restaurant in Berkley of all places because of his participation in Charlottesville. If there is one silver lining from Trump's America, maybe it is that we will finally see how many biggots are out there. Can't solve a problem without knowing what it is and the gravity of it.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

San Francisco is one of the more densely populated areas in the country. It's also incredibly diverse, so it stands to reason that there are plenty of racists mired into the melting pot.

I live in West LA - a pretty "liberal" area in the city (though no WeHo). But thanks to the NextDoor social media network, I've discovered that we have some pretty disturbing and less than racially tolerant folk living in our immediate vicinity. Again, racism isn't a regional issue, it's an attitude and value issue.

I'd rather not have them living nearby, but their location is less of an issue to me than whether they are being enabled by the fool and dirtbag that is unfortunately at the helm of our country.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Eh, I'm good. I'm just speaking to what has been demonstrated here in regards to the things you have said and the manner in which you have done so. If you feel differently than what you have previously expressed, then I am sure you can find the words to demonstrate that.

A good way to start would be to stop expressing dismay because people are critical of Trump and the GOP he has hogtied. Rather than whine about who is calling him out and why, understand why the criticism is coming. If you truly care about the direction of the nation for all people, it shouldn't be hard. The next thing you could do is you could stop trying to play this weird, "you guys got more racists" game. Where the Nazi's and racists s reside isn't the issue. What they say and do is.

I apologize if my read of what you have expressed so far doesn't suit your self-identification. All I can do is go by what is on the record. But I am more than willing to re-calibrate if you can start giving reasons to do so.

I am not going to respond to your entire post, as any fair minded person that has been in the thread for the last few days would find it full of silly false statements. First, I do not defend the Trump Administration....I was anti-Trump when you and your fellow liberals thought the circus was funny and only a problem in the Republican Primary. Second, I am not playing any game about where racists are located, it was comment based on another poster guaranteeing there were no hate groups in LA and SF, followed up by another poster claiming there were groups in those areas. I do ask in the future that you clean up the condescending manner in which you write comments directed at me......I have given you no reason to have that tone with me.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
The talking points today are (1) the death of free speech in this country and (2) the left's refusal to acknowledge that there is a violent left which reared its ugly head during the campaign cycle as seen at all the Trump events. The conservative talk radio really does put left protesters in the same box as Nazis. There is no attempt to distinguish the two. It's sickening.

And more importantly, dangerous and outright frightening.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Gettysburg park officials: Confederate monuments here to stay

Quote:
Despite national discourse on the appropriateness of Confederate monuments, the ones in Gettysburg are not going anywhere, according to park officials.

http://www.eveningsun.com/story/news/2017/08/15/gettysburg-park-officials-confederate-monuments-here-stay/567986001/
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

I think there is a place for confederate monuments and museums, the same way there is a place for holocaust memorials... not to celebrate these events, but as a tale of warnings so that we never forget and we never repeat these mistakes. The problem is that these groups look to celebrate an era of slavery and treason because its the America they wish we could go back to, and, of course, the right talking points refuse to acknowledge this distinction lest offend the conservative base.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I am not going to respond to your entire post, as any fair minded person that has been in the thread for the last few days would find it full of silly false statements. First, I do not defend the Trump Administration....I was anti-Trump when you and your fellow liberals thought the circus was funny and only a problem in the Republican Primary. Second, I am not playing any game about where racists are located, it was comment based on another poster guaranteeing there were no hate groups in LA and SF, followed up by another poster claiming there were groups in those areas. I do ask in the future that you clean up the condescending manner in which you write comments directed at me......I have given you no reason to have that tone with me.

Like I said, I am happy to re-evaluate. Plenty of people have lead me to do in the past.

But when someone gets bent out of shape because a sports celebrity refers to Trump as a "so-called President" in this current environment given the horrendous things that are going on with that entirely UN-Presidential office holder, it leaves me very skeptical.

Trump has inflated the rancor of the Nazi/KK ranks. He has legitimized their contempt and hatred. He has attempted to demonize those who criticize those vile people by doubling down on this idea that being AGAINST racism and racism is equally as bad as being a racist and a fascist.

Maybe when you are more concerned about the venom coming from Trump than you are about how he is labeled, I may come around.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

DMR, it doesn't matter what Adkindo is concerned about or not. This thread isn't about who he is, his agenda or what he thinks. All that matters is what he posts and addressing the substance of what that is, rather than who he is or what he is about. Even if that kind of conversation is done respectfully, that's not what this thread is for. This thread is about discussing current events and politics, not each other. He can get bent out of shape as much as he wants, just as you can... just so long as neither of you go after each other. He seems to have done his best to show some restraint in this regard over the last two pages, while it seems you have not IMO as you keep addressing him (and his "history") rather than his posts. Please address the post, and not the poster.

As Trump does what Trump does, passions run high and it becomes more difficult to moderate this thread. During such times, although its that much more difficult, I'd appreciate if we all showed even more restraint, not less. Thanks all.

Last edited by LakerSanity on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I think there is a place for confederate monuments and museums, the same way there is a place for holocaust memorials... not to celebrate these events, but as a tale of warnings so that we never forget and we never repeat these mistakes. The problem is that these groups look to celebrate an era of slavery and treason because its the America they wish we could go back to, and, of course, the right talking points refuse to acknowledge this distinction lest offend the conservative base.

There's a place for acknowledging the history of this country. It's in history books and museums. But in no way should there be monuments designed to dignify those who engaged in an insurrection meant to dismantle and divide the nation in the parks and streets of this country. I mean can you imagine statues of Hitler and Goebbels scattered around Germany? Seriously, Germany had the good sense to outlaw even the flashing the "Seig Heil" arm extension or the display of Nazi symbols. We should expect no less from ourselves as a nation in regards to our own sordid past.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
DMR, it doesn't matter what Adkindo is concerned about or not. This thread isn't about who he is, his agenda or what he thinks. All that matters is what he posts and addressing the substance of what that is, rather than who he is or what he is about. Even if that kind of conversation is done respectfully, that's not what this thread is for. This thread is about discussing current events and politics, not each other. He can get bent out of shape as much as he wants, just as you can... just so long as neither of you go after each other. He seems to have done his best to show some restraint in this regard over the last two pages, while it seems you have not IMO as you keep addressing him (and his "history") rather than his posts. Please address the post, and not the poster.

As Trump does what Trump does, passions run high and it becomes more difficult to moderate this thread. During such times, although its that much more difficult, I'd appreciate if we all showed even more restraint, not less. Thanks all.

And that's exactly what I am doing - and making a great effort to be very careful about it as well. I'm discussing the substance of what he says, not the person himself. The "history" of the points he has raised goes to the substance of them . . . now you have me talking like a lawyer . . . I hope you are happy!

Moving on now your honor.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

What do you all think about "sanctuary" cities?
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

It's bizarre, IMO, for anyone to be surprised there are racists everywhere. That's like being shocked there is a sex offender in a "good" neighborhood or finding out someone at your church beats his wife or the nice gal at work is an alcoholic. Not sure why anyone needs a map to find them. No place is immune, just some places tend to allow them to express their views more openly.

DMR is right, the issue is the current administration is validating their nasty ideas, no matter where they live.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
What do you all think about "sanctuary" cities?

They usually have good restaurants.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

This isn't a direct response to your post but it's something that's bugged me for a while. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up in the South, but I literally do not comprehend the argument that these confederate monuments are representative of Southern pride.

I don't know if anyone on this thread can do it, maybe Adkindo, but I really do not get it. Why are people in the South proud of confederacy/ its symbols? Why are they proud of Robert E. Lee? Surely they (or at least the majority) are not just racists reveling in confederate ideology?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 525, 526, 527 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 526 of 3671
Jump to: