THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 527, 528, 529 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
SweetP wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
What do you all think about "sanctuary" cities?

They usually have good restaurants.

And many people from various countries working really hard to make sure the food and service is top-notch

Do you think we should use public resources to protect illegal immigrants?
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
I don't get why people are so confused as how the confederacy can be used as a symbol of southern pride. It was the only time the south was an actual entity of its own, defined officially, rather than an abstract region. It was a separate state that had its own government. I don't see why that's hard to understand, what else could represent the south as a whole? I know we think it represents slavery and racism, and it does in some contexts, but to think that's all it could possibly represent is fairly narrowminded. It's a (bleep) subjective symbol afterall, how can you just decisively declare it's X and only X.

Most of the south that fought in that war, if not the vast majority of it, weren't fighting for the battlecry of slavery. The way they saw it, they were just fighting for their culture from the oppression from outsiders. As inaccurate as you might think that is, that was probably the most common mindset, and a lot of these people's ancestors fought, suffered, and died due to that war, and they want to honor that. Is it other cultures' right to say that what their ancestors did was wrong and dishonorable just because of the side they had no choice of fighting on?

What are we trying to deny here by saying that monuments must be removed? That the confederacy ever existed? It did exist, and forcing down flags and monuments won't change that.

That's a great but_muh_cultural_pride.txt, but we as the United States of America shouldn't be concerned with the sanctimony of people who are still fighting the Civil War in their own emotions on our soil. If they want the privilege to hoist their emotionally important enemy flags and statues within this nation's borders, maybe they could secede again, try their luck in taking it by force, and we can all re-enact the war like they love to do, but with live rounds, and the same result.

As far as I'm concerned, people can hoist whatever (bleep) flag they want to within this nation's borders.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

LakerSanity wrote:
I think there is a place for confederate monuments and museums, the same way there is a place for holocaust memorials... not to celebrate these events, but as a tale of warnings so that we never forget and we never repeat these mistakes.

Nobody needs public statues to remember, or to avoid a Civil War or federally sanctioned slavery. We especially don't need those statues.

Those symbols don't act as a memorium but as pride for how the south will rise again, how a culture built on the backs of black slaves will come true once again. LS is right, we need to remember so it does not happen again. We need to remember so when people use confederate flags to show "pride" the rest of us, especially the young and uneducated, will know what it exactly meant. A statue in the middle of the city does not speak to the atrocities but only romanticizes the person, the culture. It gives a false view of that person, and instills pride. We need better education on what it actually means, and a statue is not the way to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
I don't get why people are so confused as how the confederacy can be used as a symbol of southern pride. It was the only time the south was an actual entity of its own, defined officially, rather than an abstract region. It was a separate state that had its own government. I don't see why that's hard to understand, what else could represent the south as a whole? I know we think it represents slavery and racism, and it does in some contexts, but to think that's all it could possibly represent is fairly narrowminded. It's a (bleep) subjective symbol afterall, how can you just decisively declare it's X and only X.

Most of the south that fought in that war, if not the vast majority of it, weren't fighting for the battlecry of slavery. The way they saw it, they were just fighting for their culture from the oppression from outsiders. As inaccurate as you might think that is, that was probably the most common mindset, and a lot of these people's ancestors fought, suffered, and died due to that war, and they want to honor that. Is it other cultures' right to say that what their ancestors did was wrong and dishonorable just because of the side they had no choice of fighting on?

What are we trying to deny here by saying that monuments must be removed? That the confederacy ever existed? It did exist, and forcing down flags and monuments won't change that.

That's a great but_muh_cultural_pride.txt, but we as the United States of America shouldn't be concerned with the sanctimony of people who are still fighting the Civil War in their own emotions on our soil. If they want the privilege to hoist their emotionally important enemy flags and statues within this nation's borders, maybe they could secede again, try their luck in taking it by force, and we can all re-enact the war like they love to do, but with live rounds, and the same result.

As far as I'm concerned, people can hoist whatever (bleep) flag they want to within this nation's borders.

People can. In their homes and on their property. What gets displayed on government property is a different matter.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I agree, and it's a constitutional right. But if we boil it down to cultural pride, our prevailing culture of liberated black people might mean that some enemy military relics will become casualties.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Which is why the confederate flag is not illegal. We have free speech, but the problem is what comes along with that confederate flag. People who hoist that flag don't just have pride, want to eat collard greens and share the best fried green tomatoes recipes. No, they want to instill their lives over everyone else. They hoist that flag to intimidate and scare and tell people who are not like them that their time has come. The flag comes with promises of lynching, mob justice, and often guns pointed at people. The flag screams closing off of conversations and discussions, and instead begs that those who disagree are killed or silenced in other ways.

Symbols have huge meanings, which is why we use them. A flag is not a flag, but a representative for everything that the flag stands for. I am not afraid of a crappy piece of cloth with the confederate war symbol on it, but I am afraid of what it means and what the people who wave it really want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

People can. In their homes and on their property. What gets displayed on government property is a different matter.

Agreed.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
SweetP wrote:

And many people from various countries working really hard to make sure the food and service is top-notch

I believe we should use all our resources to protect all people, including immigrants who come here to avoid hardship in their own countries or even death and torture. Or just want a better life. That is the promise of this country. This is a very different nation from those we have seen in the past. It is a nation founded, forged, created, on idealism and laws and a better way to do things. It is, not was, but still is, the great experiment. All other countries watched the US to see if this system of democracy, this huge gamble as it had never been done before, would actually work. That was a big leap, as they knew people often went down to the dredges and acted against their own self interests. But the system put in place, it is one we can still try to believe in. But it requires work and continued education and open discussions. You may not agree with everything, but it is how it works. Part of that is protecting people. If 10 cents of my salary go to support immigrants, then I will gladly give 20.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

For tox and fanofbynum, most of the confederate monuments were not put up after the war, but rather much later, starting just before the turn of the century and into the 1920s. The largest purveyor of these monuments was the Daughters of the Confederacy, a very racist revisionist group that allied itself with the rise of the second KKK (which has the dubious honor of being even more violent than the first). They, along with the film Birth of a Nation, and other works such as the novel (and later film) Gone With The Wind, helped to create the concept of the Lost Cause, where the south was honorable and fighting for a just way of life, and slavery was a greater good (civilizing the savages).

This was the period of massive lynchings and the rise of Jim Crow, and most of these monuments were erectednat courthouses and public buildings and squares bith to perpetuate the myth and tondrive home the primacy of these folks. The monuments were put up in an explicitly white supremacist movement, and the concept spread outside the southern states.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
encina1 wrote:
SweetP wrote:

I believe we should use all our resources to protect all people, including immigrants who come here to avoid hardship in their own countries or even death and torture. Or just want a better life. That is the promise of this country. This is a very different nation from those we have seen in the past. It is a nation founded, forged, created, on idealism and laws and a better way to do things. It is, not was, but still is, the great experiment. All other countries watched the US to see if this system of democracy, this huge gamble as it had never been done before, would actually work. That was a big leap, as they knew people often went down to the dredges and acted against their own self interests. But the system put in place, it is one we can still try to believe in. But it requires work and continued education and open discussions. You may not agree with everything, but it is how it works. Part of that is protecting people. If 10 cents of my salary go to support immigrants, then I will gladly give 20.

Personally, I think as far as undocumented residents (few thoughts):
- there should be a path to legalization, pass background check plus either military service or fiscal penalty
- they should be able to use existing emergency services like everybody else: ER, 911, etc
- we shouldn't increase tax to provide non emergency services (non emergency services should be done by private organizations/individuals who wish to do so)
- Dreamers should be able to go attend public school with a path to legalization when they turn 18
- Felons/violent criminals are to be deported
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
encina1 wrote:
encina1 wrote:
SweetP wrote:

- there should be a path to legalization, pass background check plus either military service or fiscal penalty
- they should be able to use existing emergency services like everybody else: ER, 911, etc
- we shouldn't increase tax to provide non emergency services (non emergency services should be done by private organizations/individuals who wish to do so)
- Dreamers should be able to go attend public school with a path to legalization when they turn 18

Immigrants already serve in the military, both documented and undocumented. We do not have a mandatory enlistment clause for people here, why extend it to non-citizens?

What is a felon? Nelson Mandela was a felon. Should he not be allowed to visit?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
For tox and fanofbynum, most of the confederate monuments were not put up after the war, but rather much later, starting just before the turn of the century and into the 1920s. The largest purveyor of these monuments was the Daughters of the Confederacy, a very racist revisionist group that allied itself with the rise of the second KKK (which has the dubious honor of being even more violent than the first). They, along with the film Birth of a Nation, and other works such as the novel (and later film) Gone With The Wind, helped to create the concept of the Lost Cause, where the south was honorable and fighting for a just way of life, and slavery was a greater good (civilizing the savages).

This was the period of massive lynchings and the rise of Jim Crow, and most of these monuments were erectednat courthouses and public buildings and squares bith to perpetuate the myth and tondrive home the primacy of these folks. The monuments were put up in an explicitly white supremacist movement, and the concept spread outside the southern states.

Correct, the "Lost Cause" narrative was being cobbled during that time. Gone with the Wind became a bestseller and blockbuster hit at the box office. I still remember my junior high history book that portrayed slavery as humane, and that masters and slaves "all ate from the same pot" which was an actual quote, frequently used by the revisionists.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
governator wrote:
encina1 wrote:
encina1 wrote:
SweetP wrote:

Immigrants already serve in the military, both documented and undocumented. We do not have a mandatory enlistment clause for people here, why extend it to non-citizens?

What is a felon? Nelson Mandela was a felon. Should he not be allowed to visit?

- Yes, serving in the military should be used as an option for path to legalization.
- Violent crime felon such as rapists, murderers, kidnappers, to name a few
- Felons from other countries if they have passed US back ground check and deemed safe to visit, it's in the discretion of US homeland security to issue a visiting visa
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Correct, and I think that should include images on state flags, or anything produced by a state, such as license plates.

On a grass roots level, there's really no ambiguity when it comes to either popular Confederate flag (battle flag, stars and bars) when you tour the Deep South. It isn't being used in a historical context, but rather for its value in being socially divisive and oppressive. If someone is a racist, sure they can display it as it shows their "true colors", but it should be stricken from government buildings, and its likeness removed from state flags, license plates, etc.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

- Yes, serving in the military should be used as an option for path to legalization.

Service guarantees citizenship.

Would you like to know more?

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Correct, and I think that should include images on state flags, or anything produced by a state, such as license plates.

On a grass roots level, there's really no ambiguity when it comes to either popular Confederate flag (battle flag, stars and bars) when you tour the Deep South. It isn't being used in a historical context, but rather for its value in being socially divisive and oppressive. If someone is a racist, sure they can display it as it shows their "true colors", but it should be stricken from government buildings, and its likeness removed from state flags, license plates, etc.

I can't understand how it can still be on government signs, or license plates. It is a symbol entirely about breaking away from the Union. It is a sign of secession.

Also all those human rights atrocities and slavery.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

Military service should be used as an OPTION for path to legalization. Back ground check should be done also.

Not sure what you meant to say with "Service guarantees citizenship"
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

Military service should be used as an OPTION for path to legalization. Back ground check should be done also.

To fight the bug, we must understand the bug.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

They sucked his brains out.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

It's not as if people are asking to destroy battle sites or legitimate historical places. The monuments erected honor specific traitors, not the history or historic sites. You can go visit battle sites in the South. You can go to former slave auction sites. These aren't be asked to be removed BECAUSE they are important historic reminders. But monuments are not.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

Just so you understand
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

Just so you understand

gotcha
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

The confederacy is a part of American history. As such it should be taught/displayed. Taught in schools, displayed in museum like settings. It's something to be remembered not revered.

Statues are symbols. Symbols denote pride. There is no pride relating to slavery and it's atrocities and a war that took the lives of 620,000 Americans.

They should be removed from government land and public places but not torn down the way some people are doing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

As an undocumented (documented now), mexican kid that went through the compton public school system, it's heartwarming to see people openly expressing that immigrants need some types of rights.

Ironically, i also wish our own communities did more to encourage immigrants to be a positive influence in a country we came to ILLEGALLY. Fills me with emotion to see immigrants who do indeed commit crimes, or abuse the system.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 527, 528, 529 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 528 of 3663
Jump to: