THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 538, 539, 540 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Sure.... if you aren't counting his housing discrimination case, the birther movement and his take on muslims. But yea, none of that implied anything about him.

And nothing is weaponized. It's called reporting. That's what facts are. Saying otherwise implies the listener can't make their own informed opinion. Those who listen to facts aren't brainwashed by some so-called "liberal media," they just happen to believe that facts matter. It seems the "liberal media" tag is used whenever actual facts are reported, especially when such facts are contrary to what one would like to believe about themselves and especially those they support.

I can admit you got me on my point about it being limited to the wall at that time. In regards to the "liberal media" tag, I recognize it is and will continue to be used for political reasons, but none of that negates the vast majority of national media is liberal and reports with a liberal bias, not so much in what they report, but more often in what they choose not to report. The three networks, CNN, MSNBC, NY Times, WaPo, LA Times.....all have a liberal bent that is not encapsulated within their editorial departments, but is deeply embedded in their news rooms.

Disagree. Its just that the right has gone so far into fantasy land that suddenly anyone who reports actual facts is "liberal." Those same people, before the right went off the deep end into believing everything their propaganda wings tell them, used to just be called reporters.

It makes little sense that a decade or two ago, these same reporters were credible and respected... and now they are suddenly the so-called "liberal media"? No, what changed was not the credibility of these reporters but, rather, the conservative base's willingness to listen to them and recognize actual reporting/facts for the what it is. Its not a coincidence either that this same paradigm originated at the same time Fox news began its mission of becoming the primary source of information for the right. Where do you think you and other conservatives got the phrase "the liberal media" from in the first place? I'll give you a hint - its the same people that don't want you to listen to anyone but them.

lets not act like CNN doesnt push a certain agenda. Every network does it. Just a list of stories CNN has published where they cut quotes or dont tell entire story to push theor narrative. FOX does the same thing so lets stop acting like watching news is anything more than jerking your own viewpoint.

https://www.taskade.com/v/ByzMWWQkql

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/5y7lko/i_wanted_to_compile_every_cnn_fake_news_story/

Enough. You went to bat for pizzagate. You're fake news.

strawman all you want. doesnt change the fact cnn along with other networks have been caught multiple times altering stories to fit their narrative.

Altering news stories or going with provocative and in some cases misleading headlines?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

Btw, it isn't a straw man when someone references an argument you did make.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The funny thing about using CNN as an example is that they have lost a lot of their credibility by the practice of pretending that every issue and event has two equally accurate sides. But even they have run out of ways to make it seem credible that theres a pro trump position that is rational and engaged in factual dialogue.

Evertime I watch CNN they're destroying the President at every turn. They covered Obama with much more respect. It gets old watching CNN always talking about trump and they're always bashing him.

But honestly Trump asks for it, the guy just isn't smooth like Obama.

Well, smooth is one part of it, dignified, professional, and sane as well. But CNN hosted a lot of panels where opponents took shots at Obama, and they covered it all. They actually were quite generous to Trump during the campaign, despite him being so deliberately and transparently awful. He basically had infomercial time on CNN whenever he wanted. It's just gotten so bad even they can't find a balance.

When I said smooth I meant: When the media or republicans tested him he would eventually figure out how to respond. Obama was more patient and deliberate.

CNN covered Obama with more respect because he earned it from them, Not that they never attacked him. When it comes to Fox News Trump had to fight them to get the Republican nomination but he didn't really need to face them after that, while Obama had to fight Fox for 8 years.

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Sure.... if you aren't counting his housing discrimination case, the birther movement and his take on muslims. But yea, none of that implied anything about him.

And nothing is weaponized. It's called reporting. That's what facts are. Saying otherwise implies the listener can't make their own informed opinion. Those who listen to facts aren't brainwashed by some so-called "liberal media," they just happen to believe that facts matter. It seems the "liberal media" tag is used whenever actual facts are reported, especially when such facts are contrary to what one would like to believe about themselves and especially those they support.

I can admit you got me on my point about it being limited to the wall at that time. In regards to the "liberal media" tag, I recognize it is and will continue to be used for political reasons, but none of that negates the vast majority of national media is liberal and reports with a liberal bias, not so much in what they report, but more often in what they choose not to report. The three networks, CNN, MSNBC, NY Times, WaPo, LA Times.....all have a liberal bent that is not encapsulated within their editorial departments, but is deeply embedded in their news rooms.

Disagree. Its just that the right has gone so far into fantasy land that suddenly anyone who reports actual facts is "liberal." Those same people, before the right went off the deep end into believing everything their propaganda wings tell them, used to just be called reporters.

It makes little sense that a decade or two ago, these same reporters were credible and respected... and now they are suddenly the so-called "liberal media"? No, what changed was not the credibility of these reporters but, rather, the conservative base's willingness to listen to them and recognize actual reporting/facts for the what it is. Its not a coincidence either that this same paradigm originated at the same time Fox news began its mission of becoming the primary source of information for the right. Where do you think you and other conservatives got the phrase "the liberal media" from in the first place? I'll give you a hint - its the same people that don't want you to listen to anyone but them.

lets not act like CNN doesnt push a certain agenda. Every network does it. Just a list of stories CNN has published where they cut quotes or dont tell entire story to push theor narrative. FOX does the same thing so lets stop acting like watching news is anything more than jerking your own viewpoint.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/5y7lko/i_wanted_to_compile_every_cnn_fake_news_story/

strawman all you want. doesnt change the fact cnn along with other networks have been caught multiple times altering stories to fit their narrative.

Altering news stories or going with provocative and in some cases misleading headlines?

In some cases yes, they are more misleading/dishonest headlines than altering facts but they know this is the headline twitter age more than ever. i doubt most people even read the articles and just look at the headlines, so they know very well what they are doing.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

http://nypost.com/2017/08/19/man-stabbed-after-haircut-gets-him-mistaken-for-a-neo-nazi/

Quote:
This Colorado man is avowedly not a neo-Nazi.

But he believes his long-on-top, buzzed-on-the-sides haircut got him mistaken for one — and nearly stabbed to death by a confused anti-fascist.

Joshua Witt, 26, escaped his brush with hairdo-doom with a defensive slice to the hand and three stitches.
“Apparently, my haircut is considered a neo-Nazi statement,” he told The Post Saturday, as his account on Facebook garnered 20,000 shares.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Off point; Listening to Richard Painter, a Republican I like, his speech seems halted. Did he suffer a stroke in the past?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Has this been posted?

Maria later said she didn't mean what she wrote. "I hope Trump is assassinated." No excuse and a apology is not enough. That was Trumpism.

Pressure mounts for state senator to resign after Trump assassination comment

LINK
Quote:

In a Facebook comment that has since been deleted, Chappelle-Nadal wrote, "I hope Trump is assassinated."

On another note;

Mind boggling to me, how many people are influenced by HEAD LINES.
If a article is more than two paragraphs how many take time to read and digest the gist? Smart people know this and use it to manipulate.

Media is genius using this knowledge. Not echoing Trump, people on both sides.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The funny thing about using CNN as an example is that they have lost a lot of their credibility by the practice of pretending that every issue and event has two equally accurate sides. But even they have run out of ways to make it seem credible that theres a pro trump position that is rational and engaged in factual dialogue.

Evertime I watch CNN they're destroying the President at every turn. They covered Obama with much more respect. It gets old watching CNN always talking about trump and they're always bashing him.

Yeah, that's what it is, Obama was just" smoother" . . . there's nothing about Trump that is despicable. :HUGE EYE ROLL:
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yeah, that's what it is, Obama was just" smoother" . . . there's nothing about Trump that is despicable. :HUGE EYE ROLL:

The Don would actually be pissed to hear that.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

The Don would actually be pissed to hear that.

And aiming that piss on underage Russian prostitutes.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/08/steve-bannon-readies-his-revenge
Quote:

Meanwhile, the next phase has already begun. On Sunday, the website’s lead story was based on a Daily Mail report that said Ivanka was behind Bannon’s removal. “Trump’s daughter Ivanka pushed out Bannon because of his ‘far-right views’ clashing with her Jewish faith,” the article noted. Another piece was headlined: “6 TIMES JAVANKA’S DISPLEASURE WITH POTUS LEAKED TO PRESS.” In his feud with Kushner, Bannon may have a powerful ally: Reince Priebus, also recently departed from the White House with a quiver of grudges. Recently, according to several sources, Bannon has told friends he wants Priebus to give his account of the James Comey firing to special prosecutor Robert Mueller. According to a source close to Priebus, the former chief of staff believes that the decision was made during an early May weekend in Bedminster, where Kushner, Ivanka Trump, and Stephen Miller were with the president. Trump returned to the Oval Office on Monday, May 8 and told other aides he intended to fire Comey.

Will be interesting to see if Priebus and Bannon throw Kushner under the bus with the Russia investigation. I wonder if Kushner would flip on Trump. I hope we find out!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Has this been posted?

Maria later said she didn't mean what she wrote. "I hope Trump is assassinated." No excuse and a apology is not enough. That was Trumpism.

LINK
Quote:

In a Facebook comment that has since been deleted, Chappelle-Nadal wrote, "I hope Trump is assassinated."

On another note;

If a article is more than two paragraphs how many take time to read and digest the gist? Smart people know this and use it to manipulate.

I posted the original story, but I am not following your post....what are you saying? She should resign? not resign?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Off point; Listening to Richard Painter, a Republican I like, his speech seems halted. Did he suffer a stroke in the past?

he is an irrelevant phony who has learned he will get attention by liberal media outlets by attacking his own party.....this game has been going on for years....Fox has their favorite "Democrats" also.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

^It always sucks that one mistake can ruin your entire life. I think about that often. However, that is the way it is and if you are running for office, no less in office, you should be held to an even higher standard (except if you are Donald Trump, of course). Yea, she should probably resign, but my guess is she tries to see if she can get away with it given that a resignation means the end of her political career.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

reporters like Dan Rather? There is no wiggle room here.....we simply will have conclude this one in disagreement about the political leanings of most media.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
^It always sucks that one mistake can ruin your entire life. I think about that often. However, that is the way it is and if you are running for office, no less in office, you should be held to an even higher standard (except if you are Donald Trump, of course). Yea, she should probably resign, but my guess is she tries to see if she can get away with it given that a resignation means the end of her political career.

Can they censure her or something? I know they (Republicans) easily have the votes to remove her, but she admitted she was wrong and apologized.....I would prefer they not take action to remove her. At the end of the day, the voters put her in office.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Or she could double down and become President one day.

Quote:
“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks,” Mr. Trump said, as the crowd began to boo. He quickly added: “Although the Second Amendment people — maybe there is, I don’t know.”

Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Meanwhile, i'll bet there's a troop increase for Afghanistan tomorrow. Got to try to keep those defense stocks going up up up.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject:

The difference between mainstream media though and the ones that are not is that the alt ones believe in conspiracy theories and don't get the sources and the story from multiple sources.

Insult the mainstream all you want, but seriously? Folks cry about them all they want but it's an abstract thought about what it is. I roll my eyes and just plainly think the other guy is a moron. Alt sources are echo chambers for a lot of lies. That, and the GOP pushes a lot of BS.

Smoking and cancer. Who pushes that smoking wasn't bad for you? Hmmm?

Anyway, just venting about people whining about how awful they are when they try to do right. They makes mistakes sometimes but their intent is to inform and not just simply lie.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I don't know which alt-dictionary you're using but highlighting your fake crusade against "fake news" after you burnt your entire identity here by pimping pizzagate is not a straw anything.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Has this been posted?

LINK
Quote:

On another note;

I posted the original story, but I am not following your post....what are you saying? She should resign? not resign?

Yes, she should resign. Suggesting the assassination of a public official if intent is proven should be a felony.

I also believe Trump should resign for his comments about Charlotteville.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

he is an irrelevant phony who has learned he will get attention by liberal media outlets by attacking his own party.....this game has been going on for years....Fox has their favorite "Democrats" also.

I don't know if he's a irrelevant phony seeking media attention or not. I don't see him attacking his party, I see him attacking Trump to save his party.

Did he or did he not suffer a stroke?

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/08/21/secret-service-cant-pay-agents-because-trumps-frequent-travel-large-family/529075001/

Quote:
Secret Service depletes funds to pay agents because of Trump's frequent travel, large family

The Secret Service can no longer pay hundreds of agents it needs to carry out an expanded protective mission – in large part due to the sheer size of President Trump's family and efforts necessary to secure their multiple residences up and down the East Coast.

Secret Service Director Randolph "Tex" Alles, in an interview with USA TODAY, said more than 1,000 agents have already hit the federally mandated caps for salary and overtime allowances that were meant to last the entire year.

...Overwork and constant travel have also been driving a recent exodus from the Secret Service ranks, yet without congressional intervention to provide additional funding, Alles will not even be able to pay agents for the work they have already done.

The compensation crunch is so serious that the director has begun discussions with key lawmakers to raise the combined salary and overtime cap for agents, from $160,000 per year to $187,000 for at least the duration of Trump's first term.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/08/21/secret-service-cant-pay-agents-because-trumps-frequent-travel-large-family/529075001/

Quote:
Secret Service depletes funds to pay agents because of Trump's frequent travel, large family

The Secret Service can no longer pay hundreds of agents it needs to carry out an expanded protective mission – in large part due to the sheer size of President Trump's family and efforts necessary to secure their multiple residences up and down the East Coast.

Secret Service Director Randolph "Tex" Alles, in an interview with USA TODAY, said more than 1,000 agents have already hit the federally mandated caps for salary and overtime allowances that were meant to last the entire year.

...Overwork and constant travel have also been driving a recent exodus from the Secret Service ranks, yet without congressional intervention to provide additional funding, Alles will not even be able to pay agents for the work they have already done.

The compensation crunch is so serious that the director has begun discussions with key lawmakers to raise the combined salary and overtime cap for agents, from $160,000 per year to $187,000 for at least the duration of Trump's first term.

If he did't want to be in Washington D.C., then he should not have sought to be President......this is beyond ridiculous.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 538, 539, 540 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 539 of 3673
Jump to: