THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 577, 578, 579 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

In fairness, the "we" in the Schumer/Pelosi statement represents those two, since a bit after it said "we agreed...", it also said "we urged the president". Basically it just said that they indicated that they would work on legislation to formalize daca, and to include some border security measures but not the wall. It implies that Trump was at least agreeable, but not that he in fact agreed to all of that, merely that they were going down that path.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

We've all been wondering what could get Trump impeached, maybe if he keeps working with Democrats.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
We've all been wondering what could get Trump impeached, maybe if he keeps working with Democrats.

Pathetically true!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Pathetically true!

That thought has crossed my mind tonight.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
tox wrote:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-hillary-clinton-right-about-why-she-lost/

Some of the charts about the disproportionate amount of attention Hillary's emails got are shocking.

Yeah, I posted this one a few pages back:

https://verrit.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Harvard-Hillary-email-study.png

It's honestly astounding. I wonder when the media will take any accountability there, or if people will continue to spin it as though it's entirely Hillary's fault. 538 attempts to explain this disproportionate coverage as follows:

Quote:
And my suspicion is that a lot of the bad coverage came from a desire to find a way to balance the sharp coverage of Trump with coverage that was negative about Clinton. The both-sides model of political journalism left you with 15 Trump scandals and 1 Clinton scandal, so you have to pump up the Clinton scandal/controversy/whatever to make up for that big gap since all of these outlets are obsessed with attacks from the right.

I think this also explains why so many on the left are quick to throw HRC under the bus nowadays. That's not to say she was a flawless candidate, or that people didn't have legitimate reservations about her. But it's easier to get some acceptance from the false equivalence crowd if you disavow a major political figure in your own party. So you can criticize Trump more freely if you're willing to say Clinton was also a bad candidate, and if you were unenthusiastic about her in general, you don't mind doing that. I've found myself doing that too, though never going as far as to falsely equate the two.

It's a nasty habit that benefits the right in the long term.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Cuban would be an unfortunate continuation of the, "you need to be a rich, narcissistic celebrity with no political know how to run" syndrome. We dont need another business guy with no idea how government actually works, much less one as temperamental and unpleasant behind the scenes as Cuban is reputed to be.

The Cubans of the world have a great shot at beating Trump. I want to win I dont want another moral victory because we stick to our principles while Trump is president for another term

I do like the Bill Nye/Degrasse idea if youre not Cuban fans. The point is there are so many good choices I hope we dont put up another dud from the congress.

Why the urge to run people with no known ability to do the job?

I think there's different way to judge/evaluate a candidate's ability as a choice for US presidency outside of having done a governmental job. DeGrasse Tyson for example can be evaluated at how he managed to excel in academia, running a museum, conducting research, etc. I don't think you need to be a governor/mayor/congressman/senator at all to be a qualified candidate for the presidency. There might be a learning curve at the beginning which all presidents must go thru. It's not a one man job, it's a team job.

There certainly is a learning curve, but government and diplomacy and all that go with it are so far removed from business and entertainment and facilities management as to be completely foreign. A guy who is smart and friendly and earnest is nice, but asking degrasse Tyson to be the president is like saying a stand up comic should run a fortune five hundred corporation. It's ludicrous. This urge to despise professionalism in the most vital professional post on earth is staggering.

That's not to dismiss a non-politician getting into politics. It's just that there is no way in hell someone can go right to the top position and be expected to succeed. A more sane, competent and stable person would obviously do better than what we have now, but that's setting the bar for the toughest job on the planet painfully and dangerously low.

Want to talk about one of those folks running for congress or even senate? No problem. That happens all the time and some of them actually turn out well. If it doesn't, the damage is generally minimal or nonexistent.

Hell, Al Franken, a former standup comedian and SNL writer could probably win in a landslide if he ran in 2020, but he has a well established and respected track record as a senator on his list of qualifications.

I want to win. The reason I think we should go away from the congress is because no one from there is going to take Trump down. There is no stars power on the Dem's side in congress there's no Obama or Bill.

Being a senator or a mayor isn't going to give you all the experience you need to be president anyways. You don't have launch codes as a senator.

I could make a case that being a doctor or scientist or engineer or business man gives you more experience for the job than congress
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

Launch codes are such a small part of this that it's not even worth discussing.

As for experience, you are dead wrong. The only people who think running a business can prepare them for running the country are the ones who have no idea how the government works. We have one of those in office right now and, well, I think it's pretty clear how that is working out, even when he brings in 'the best people', most of whom also have experience running large corporations.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

As for experience, you are dead wrong. The only people who think running a business can prepare them for running the country are the ones who have no idea how the government works. We have one of those in office right now and, well, I think it's pretty clear how that is working out, even when he brings in 'the best people', most of whom also have experience running large corporations.

Rex Tillerson ran Exxon-Mobil, is completely clueless as Secy of State and is gutting the state department. Example after example, CEO's are good at one thing - increasing profits for their company so they can fatten their own wallets. The U.S. government is not a profit center. Politicians are not supposed to fatten their wallets, they are supposed to serve the people. There is no single CEO who runs everything. It all works together with checks and balances and rule of law. At least governors, senators and even mayors, have had to work within a system where compromise and the collective good is/should be prioritized.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Rex Tillerson ran Exxon-Mobil, is completely clueless as Secy of State and is gutting the state department. Example after example, CEO's are good at one thing - increasing profits for their company so they can fatten their own wallets. The U.S. government is not a profit center. Politicians are not supposed to fatten their wallets, they are supposed to serve the people. There is no single CEO who runs everything. It all works together with checks and balances and rule of law. At least governors, senators and even mayors, have had to work within a system where compromise and the collective good is/should be prioritized.

And yet how many career politicians end up multi millionaires? Hell, congress has special rules that lets them do insider trading and make serious bank with no legal repercussions.

Even at the local level, just look at cities like Bell. Lets face it -- public service, for many, is just another way to get rich at the public's expense. There are a lot of good public servants, and there are also a lot of crooked ones.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

And yet how many career politicians end up multi millionaires? Hell, congress has special rules that lets them do insider trading and make serious bank with no legal repercussions.

Even at the local level, just look at cities like Bell. Lets face it -- public service, for many, is just another way to get rich at the public's expense. There are a lot of good public servants, and there are also a lot of crooked ones.

I don't disagree at all. (But that's a separate issue from intentionally choosing someone who has always been a greedy bastard and out for themselves.)

There might actually be a couple of people, like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, who might have the intellect and moral/social compass to be a good president even without government experience. But they aren't running and they are the exception.

After the Trump debacle, give me a dedicated public servant who is competent and knows how government works. Sadly, we had one of those available and well...people chose the greedy idiot.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

I don't disagree at all. (But that's a separate issue from intentionally choosing someone who has always been a greedy bastard and out for themselves.)

There might actually be a couple of people, like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, who might have the intellect and moral/social compass to be a good president even without government experience. But they aren't running and they are the exception.

After the Trump debacle, give me a dedicated public servant who is competent and knows how government works. Sadly, we had one of those available and well...people chose the greedy idiot.

Increasing profits of a McDonald franchise in no way gives one the acumen needed to run what was, before the current administration, the leader of the free world. In college Polysci calls for a vastly different ciriculum than Business Administration. You don't hire a plumber to fix your air conditioner.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Pathetically true!

That thought has crossed my mind tonight.

The Republicans are like deer-in-headlights with Orange Glow working with Chuck and Nancy. They are seriously like 'OMG...what's going on here??!!'
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

I really think Trump is weeding out the GOP house/senate for 2018. He'll beat them to submission, only supporting the re-election of his submissive. This is to let them know that he'll link up with the Dems if GOP don't give him what he wants.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

Trump seems to have switched reels. Is he bidding for a second term? If he starts to pass bi-partisan legislation he'll be the first in a long line of those who've attempted. He may lose some of his base but what he'll gain will more than compensate for the loss.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Trump seems to have switched reels. Is he bidding for a second term? If he starts to pass bi-partisan legislation he'll be the first in a long line of those who've attempted. He may lose some of his base but what he'll gain will more than compensate for the loss.

Honestly, if Orangey wants to start to look somewhat Presidential, he needs to keep some company with people who actually know how this whole 'Gubmint' thing works. These Republicans, particularly those in the House...most of them are dumber than a box of rocks. They have no clue about policy or governing. They're just there because some dark money superpac picked them to obstruct Obama.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Honestly, if Orangey wants to start to look somewhat Presidential, he needs to keep some company with people who actually know how this whole 'Gubmint' thing works. These Republicans, particularly those in the House...most of them are dumber than a box of rocks. They have no clue about policy or governing. They're just there because some dark money superpac picked them to obstruct Obama.

IMO he's siding with Dems to get funding for his damn wall. He keeps tying DACA to funding the wall.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

This sums it up well (NSFW - Language)
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Pathetically true!

Quote:
President Trump’s supporters are apoplectic and lashing out at “Amnesty Don” for pursuing a deal with Democratic leaders to protect young immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/right-explodes-in-anger-over-trump-deal-daca-dreamers-democrats-pelosi-schumer-hannity-coulter-ingraham

Last edited by DuncanIdaho on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

[quote="DuncanIdaho"]
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Pathetically true!

Quote:
President Trump’s supporters are apoplectic and lashing out at “Amnesty Don” for pursuing a deal with Democratic leaders to protect young immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/right-explodes-in-anger-over-trump-deal-daca-dreamers-democrats-pelosi-schumer-hannity-coulter-ingraham.

I'm getting PAGE NOT FOUND 404. Can you refresh the link?

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dan Pfeiffer‏Verified account @danpfeiffer

Trump is unpredictable not because he is an independent wily, genius but because he has no idea what he is doing and doesn't bother to learn
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

One thing I agree with Hillary: abolish electoral college

If it meant to give representation for less populated states... we already have it in the form of 2 senators per state

So how to get this to be a pressing issue
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

If Trump sees a increase in popularity because of his bi-partisan stance he'll take as serous look at why? His base is reacting negatively to his DACA response. He wants his wall. I think he'll do what ever it takes to get it built.

DONALD, WHICH WAY IS THE WIND BLOWING, TRUMP.

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
SUBJECT: Request for Provision of Training on Unauthorized Disclosures

The unauthorized disclosure of classified information or controlled unclassified United States Government information causes harm to our Nation and shakes the confidence of the American people. In this era of unprecedented unauthorized disclosures, it is important to take time to review with your workforce their roles and responsibilities in safeguarding United States Government information.

In light of the recent press conference by the Attorney General and the Director of National Intelligence regarding unauthorized disclosures, I am requesting that every Federal Government department and agency dedicate a 1-hour, organization-wide event to engage their workforce in a discussion on the importance of protecting classified and controlled unclassified information, and measures to prevent and detect unauthorized disclosures.

For those with access to classified information, a review of the non-disclosure agreement reminds us of the responsibilities that come with access to, and penalties for unauthorized disclosure of, classified information. However, it is equally important to discuss the importance of protecting controlled unclassified and personally identifiable information from unauthorized public disclosure.

Although there are policies and guidance already in place to prevent unauthorized disclosures, it will be time well spent to shine a spotlight on the importance of this issue, and engage the workforce in conversation about what it means to be a steward of United States Government information. It is particularly important to stress the sharp difference between unauthorized disclosures of information and whistleblowing — the responsibility of all federal employees to report waste, fraud and abuse through proper channels.

There are many resources available to frame this 1-hour event, including a review of policies, guidance, videos, and training materials, and perhaps most important, an open discussion to answer questions and raise issues to ensure that our safeguarding measures are understood and effective.

Suggested training materials are attached. In order to ensure a consistent and strong message is given to the entire federal workforce, such training should occur the week of September 18-22, 2017.

H.R. McMaster

Lieutenant General, United States Army

Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs

That's the White House memo on leaks.

It leaked last night.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

[quote="jodeke"]
DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Pathetically true!

Quote:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/right-explodes-in-anger-over-trump-deal-daca-dreamers-democrats-pelosi-schumer-hannity-coulter-ingraham.

I'm getting PAGE NOT FOUND 404. Can you refresh the link?

Remove the period at the end
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Trump backers turn on Kelly

Several longtime supporters of President Trump are sniping at chief of staff John Kelly in an attempt to diminish the standing of a man who has quickly become one of the president's closest advisers.

Kelly has won plaudits from many in Washington for imposing order and structure on a West Wing that had been characterized by chaos and dysfunction.

But that has triggered a backlash from some Trump backers, who call him names like "Nanny Kelly" or "Mrs. Doubtfire" and accuse him of trying to control a president who doesn’t like to be managed.
The chief of staff’s backers largely dismiss the name-calling as sour grapes from people in Trump’s orbit who feel Kelly has cut down on their access to the president. Regardless, they say Kelly threatens the agenda Trump ran on.

Some on the right also take issue with Kelly for shielding aides like National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn and national security adviser H.R. McMaster, who have been dubbed “globalists” by Trump’s nationalist supporters.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/350537-trump-backers-turn-on-kelly
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 577, 578, 579 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 578 of 3673
Jump to: