THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 582, 583, 584 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
You're arguing a nonexistent point. Of course he wants to not be attacked, so he can stay in power.

I'm not arguing I'm referring to you saying
Quote:
He's just trying to get stuff and stay in power. Nothing more.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
You're arguing a nonexistent point. Of course he wants to not be attacked, so he can stay in power.

Quote:

Not being attacked is nothing more. It is part of staying in power. It's like saying he doesn't want to be hurt, nothing more, and being rebutted with, "but, he also doesn't want to be shot at". Of course he doesn't, because he could be hurt.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Quote:

Not being attacked is nothing more. It is part of staying in power. It's like saying he doesn't want to be hurt, nothing more, and being rebutted with, "but, he also doesn't want to be shot at". Of course he doesn't, because he could be hurt.

Have to give you credit for spinning efficiency. A+

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Quote:

Have to give you credit for spinning.

Not spinning. It is simple logic that not being attacked is a component of staying in power.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Reports coming out of St Louis of police escalating the situation and attacking people who are doing nothing but standing on the sidewalks. Meanwhile they (the police) are chanting "whose streets? Our streets!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Quote:

Not spinning. It is simple logic that not being attacked is a component of staying in power.

That's not what you said. You didn't include components. You said nothing more.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Quote:

Do we need to discuss the meaning of more? He wants to breathe, eat, (bleep), sleep too. Do I need to include those in a statement of his top line goals? No. He wants to stay in power and get stuff. Everything else is a component of those, not something more. Do we really have to do this?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Quote:

Do we need to discuss the meaning of more? He wants to breathe, eat, (bleep), sleep too. Do I need to include those in a statement of his top line goals? No. He wants to stay in power and get stuff. Everything else is a component of those, not something more. Do we really have to do this?

Nope!

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:
Reports coming out of St Louis of police escalating the situation and attacking people who are doing nothing but standing on the sidewalks. Meanwhile they (the police) are chanting "whose streets? Our streets!"

It's this kind of thing that makes me wonder if things aren't going to get a whole lot worse before they hopefully get better.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
20,000 wrote:

It's this kind of thing that makes me wonder if things aren't going to get a whole lot worse before they hopefully get better.

The police have been racist and fascist for a long time, and much if the populace is fine with that.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
20,000 wrote:

We're living in dangerous times.

St. Louis police probe whether officers chanted 'Whose streets? Our streets'

LINK

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
20,000 wrote:

The police have been racist and fascist for a long time, and much if the populace is fine with that.

Oh I get that. Recent events have just upped the ante . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
20,000 wrote:

LINK

They were wearing brown shirts ...
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
good points in this piece as well as a wouldn't say counter wholly but addendum to coates article

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2017/09/ta-nehisi-coates-george-packer-white-president/539976/

I like Coates but the premise of his article was honestly really dumb. He asked why we focused on working class whites when technically all subsets of whites went for Trump. But of course the point is that unlike the other whites that voted Trump, they weren't always Republicans. That's why the focus is on them, and to paint all white people under a single brush stroke is both reductive and... well, stupid.

I definitely side with Packer here.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:

I don't see why Kim would publicly pursue nuclear capabilities, unless he's aiming to use them. He already has us at a checkmate. His position is secure.
We can't attack N. Korea TODAY! If we try to attack North Korea or kick Kim out of power. S. Korea (and the American's living there/deployed there) will have to pay the repercussions.
Kim doesn't need nukes just to keep his power. We can't topple his regime now. Even though we probably want to. Keeping Seoul hostage is keeping Kim in power. Not his nuclear program.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I don't see why Kim would publicly pursue nuclear capabilities, unless he's aiming to use them. He already has us at a checkmate. His position is secure.
We can't attack N. Korea TODAY! If we try to attack North Korea or kick Kim out of power. S. Korea (and the American's living there/deployed there) will have to pay the repercussions.
Kim doesn't need nukes just to keep his power. We can't topple his regime now. Even though we probably want to. Keeping Seoul hostage is keeping Kim in power. Not his nuclear program.

For propaganda reasons. If he creates a nuke he can say to his people he can protect them. Also being able to destroy LA at the touch of a button creates more leverage regardless of the past situation
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Insurance? Especially if/when China is ready for regime change. It's the mother of all trump cards.

Or maybe that the threat of a nuke will allow them to be more aggressive w.r.t. SK, because now every time the US wants to intercede, it needs to consider whether it's worth a nuke potentially hitting them stateside. Hurts our presence in Asia/ the Pacific.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject:

The nuke heightens the risk to south Korea, introduces it to Japan, and puts the us at some theoretical risk as well.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Insurance? Especially if/when China is ready for regime change. It's the mother of all trump cards.

Or maybe that the threat of a nuke will allow them to be more aggressive w.r.t. SK, because now every time the US wants to intercede, it needs to consider whether it's worth a nuke potentially hitting them stateside. Hurts our presence in Asia/ the Pacific.

You're right. A nuclear weapon does give them leverage.

It tough for me to say definitively Kim wants a nuke just so he can use it as a threat.
I take him literally when he says he wants to use weapons.

Maybe if someone could explain to me how Kim would be acting different than he is now, if he really wanted to use a nuke in the future. Then I'd understand.
In any circumstance where a threat is made. It's tough to tell if the aggressor means it, until he actually performs the act.
If someone threatened me personally, I'd take the person's word for it. Until proven otherwise.

Also, I don't think Kim is concerned about mutual assured destruction. That's why he's comfortable parading his nuclear program to the world in the first place.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
20,000 wrote:

LINK

They were wearing brown shirts ...

Quote:
A grainy video circulating online shows a group of officers and the chant can be heard. Carson said he spoke to a police commander at the scene who said any such chant would be unacceptable and he would deal with it.

Uh huh, sure you will.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
NBC News‏Verified account @NBCNews

Pres. Trump at U.N.: “We will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea. Rocket Man is on a suicide mission

#Embarrassing #Dangerous #Stupid
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

So presidential
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

Not saying the tactic Trump is taking is the right one, but what we've done since Clinton hasn't exactly worked swimmingly, has it?

So what's the solution? It's obvious, barring a huge trade war, that our efforts to put pressure on China have done absolutely nothing.

Last edited by DuncanIdaho on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
NBC News‏Verified account @NBCNews

Pres. Trump at U.N.: “We will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea. Rocket Man is on a suicide mission

#Embarrassing #Dangerous #Stupid

Oh god no...
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Not saying the tactic Trump is taking is the right one, but what we've done since Clinton hasn't exactly worked swimmingly, has it?

So what's the solution?

Seoul is still standing and we are not at war with N. Korea or any of their allies.

It's gone fine.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 582, 583, 584 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 583 of 3673
Jump to: