THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 584, 585, 586 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Rough day for Gen. Kelly.
https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video_thumb/DKHdIUVUMAAaoq1.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKHdE3LWAAAKFCI.jpg

Eventually...will Kelly quit? Or will Trump fire him? Only time will tell!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

The Grifter-In-Chief:

Reuters: Trump using campaign, RNC funds to pay legal bills from Russia probe

Quote:
U.S. President Donald Trump is using money donated to his reelection campaign and the Republican National Committee to pay for his lawyers in the probe of alleged Russian interference in the U.S. election, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The U.S. Federal Election Commission allows the use of private campaign funds to pay legal bills arising from being a candidate or elected official.

While previous presidential campaigns have used these funds to pay for routine legal matters such as ballot access disputes and compliance requirements, Trump would be the first U.S. president in the modern campaign finance era to use such funds to cover the costs of responding to a criminal probe, said election law experts.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Damn that says it all ...
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

The general deserves everything that's happening to him. He choose to stay and stand behind Trump. Whatever reputation he has built I hope they all come crumbling down, together with all of Trump's enablers.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

The general deserves everything that's happening to him. He choose to stay and stand behind Trump. Whatever reputation he has built I hope they all come crumbling down, together with all of Trump's enablers.

Interesting you say that. A little part of me died watching everyone at the Emmys laugh off the Spicer segment.
Like "hahahaha, that guy lied to the country several times, including saying millions of people voted illegally. Something that could have voter suppression repercussions in future elections. That's so funny!"

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Not saying the tactic Trump is taking is the right one, but what we've done since Clinton hasn't exactly worked swimmingly, has it?

So what's the solution? It's obvious, barring a huge trade war, that our efforts to put pressure on China have done absolutely nothing.

What you don't do is throw gasoline on the dumpster fire, pound your chest like a gorilla and embarrass yourself and the nation on the world stage. How about we start with that?

And how about we actually fill the empty ambassador positions in South Korea and other Asian countries? And how about we not gut the state department so that we have no knowledge base or experience and no diplomats left to establish diplomacy?

How about we start there instead of putting ourselves in a bigger hole?

That sounds like a great idea.

But just to be clear, we had filled ambassador positions and diplomats last administration, handled NK with as much dignity as can possibly be expected, and they STILL pursued nuclear arms and we're now in a much worse place.

So yes, we should do what you say, but it isn't the answer. Diplomacy DOES NOT WORK WITH NORTH KOREA. I don't know what the answer is, honestly. I don't envy the people making these decisions.

We've been doing the same thing administration after administration, and have been getting the same results. If it doesn't work on the first, second, third or fourth time, maybe it'll work on the fifth?

What do you do, when you have a regime, thats sitting right next to your ally(N.korea) and ear shot of your other ally(japan)? while also have a bunch of citizens that have been held hostage basically and brainwashed?

Do you bomb them until you can't see anything but rubble? and pray that no missilles or tanks, troops, get across their border to S.korea? or hope they dont launch a nuke into japan? or any of our other island countries the US holds up?

NK will lose any war it wages. thats not the point. the point is, its a lose lose. all wars are. but the original gulf war by technical war terms was a win. nobody got hurt(in the grand scheme of things..early on during the original bombing campaign.) their soldiers surrendering which was a surprise to all of us. can we expect that with NK? maybe. then here comes to humanitarian issue with the people fleeing into S.korea and china.

just the casualties alone would be something we've never seen in modern times before.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
20,000 wrote:
Reports coming out of St Louis of police escalating the situation and attacking people who are doing nothing but standing on the sidewalks. Meanwhile they (the police) are chanting "whose streets? Our streets!"

It's this kind of thing that makes me wonder if things aren't going to get a whole lot worse before they hopefully get better.

The police have been racist and fascist for a long time, and much if the populace is fine with that.

Oh I get that. Recent events have just upped the ante . . .
No, recent events have just revealed what we've all known. Now, its out there for all to see in plain view.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Don't know if this has been posted. I think it's hilarious.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I don't see why Kim would publicly pursue nuclear capabilities, unless he's aiming to use them. He already has us at a checkmate. His position is secure.
We can't attack N. Korea TODAY! If we try to attack North Korea or kick Kim out of power. S. Korea (and the American's living there/deployed there) will have to pay the repercussions.
Kim doesn't need nukes just to keep his power. We can't topple his regime now. Even though we probably want to. Keeping Seoul hostage is keeping Kim in power. Not his nuclear program.

Insurance? Especially if/when China is ready for regime change. It's the mother of all trump cards.

Or maybe that the threat of a nuke will allow them to be more aggressive w.r.t. SK, because now every time the US wants to intercede, it needs to consider whether it's worth a nuke potentially hitting them stateside. Hurts our presence in Asia/ the Pacific.

You're right. A nuclear weapon does give them leverage.

It tough for me to say definitively Kim wants a nuke just so he can use it as a threat.
I take him literally when he says he wants to use weapons.

Maybe if someone could explain to me how Kim would be acting different than he is now, if he really wanted to use a nuke in the future. Then I'd understand.
In any circumstance where a threat is made. It's tough to tell if the aggressor means it, until he actually performs the act.
If someone threatened me personally, I'd take the person's word for it. Until proven otherwise.

Also, I don't think Kim is concerned about mutual assured destruction. That's why he's comfortable parading his nuclear program to the world in the first place.

Why wouldn't Kim be concerned with mutual assured destruction? I agree just the threat of nukes gives him far more leverage in extorting money, antagonizing Pacific powers, and attacking SK, and I wouldn't past him to sell to the highest bidder. But what good does it do Kim to actually nuke, say, LA and then literally be wiped off the face of the Earth?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The Grifter-In-Chief:

Reuters: Trump using campaign, RNC funds to pay legal bills from Russia probe

Quote:
U.S. President Donald Trump is using money donated to his reelection campaign and the Republican National Committee to pay for his lawyers in the probe of alleged Russian interference in the U.S. election, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The U.S. Federal Election Commission allows the use of private campaign funds to pay legal bills arising from being a candidate or elected official.

While previous presidential campaigns have used these funds to pay for routine legal matters such as ballot access disputes and compliance requirements, Trump would be the first U.S. president in the modern campaign finance era to use such funds to cover the costs of responding to a criminal probe, said election law experts.

His donors don't care. They support all of his unethical behavior, because they themselves are unethical.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
[Long before the special counsel began investigating Russian meddling in the U.S. election -- and whether anyone in the Trump campaign was involved -- Paul Manafort was the target of an FBI investigation. It included electronic surveillance of the one-time Trump campaign chairman.

CBS News has learned that the surveillance on Manafort occurred during the 2016 presidential campaign.

According to a former U.S. official, the intercepts picked up conversations between Manafort and Russian individuals about the campaign. The intercepts potentially include conversations between Manafort and President Trump.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-manafort-surveillance-during-2016-campaign/
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Roon wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Not saying the tactic Trump is taking is the right one, but what we've done since Clinton hasn't exactly worked swimmingly, has it?

So what's the solution?

Seoul is still standing and we are not at war with N. Korea or any of their allies.

It's gone fine.

It's gone so well that NK is now testing long-range nuclear-tipped ICBMs.

Totally fine. /rollseyes

Kicking the can down the road has bought us 25 years and gotten us into a worse situation. Can't keep kicking the can.

So what's the long-term solution?

Not what is happening now for crissakes.

And we've hardly just been kicking the can down the road. You say you don't think that Trump's tactic is the right one, but you sure seem to be endorsing a more aggressive one, so what's your solution?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:

There are no military solution to North Korea only economic and diplomatic solutions now. This isn't some two bit terrorist organization in the middle east its a nation with real arms. Want to see the end of the world as we know it start a war with NK.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
[Long before the special counsel began investigating Russian meddling in the U.S. election -- and whether anyone in the Trump campaign was involved -- Paul Manafort was the target of an FBI investigation. It included electronic surveillance of the one-time Trump campaign chairman.

CBS News has learned that the surveillance on Manafort occurred during the 2016 presidential campaign.

According to a former U.S. official, the intercepts picked up conversations between Manafort and Russian individuals about the campaign. The intercepts potentially include conversations between Manafort and President Trump.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-manafort-surveillance-during-2016-campaign/

Going back 11 years...Dude is a traitor. Death penalty.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Roon wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

So what's the solution?

Seoul is still standing and we are not at war with N. Korea or any of their allies.

It's gone fine.

Totally fine. /rollseyes

Kicking the can down the road has bought us 25 years and gotten us into a worse situation. Can't keep kicking the can.

The major difference is that rather than obliterating south Korea with conventional artillery or a local a bomb, or that he could impact japan, he has the technical ability to impact our territory. So it is considered worse because we are in the sphere of physical risk, rather than a safely isolated projector if power in the reason.

We are not really in any increased risk provided we aren't trying to take his regime out, because that's the sum total of his actual goals: stay in power and keep access to stuff he wants (as in luxuries and subsidies). Going to war with us kills a lot of people, and now perhaps some of us, but it is suicide for him, and he very much wants to live.

There was never really a play to keep nukes from him, both because of his needs and what the Chinese and Russians allowed. Sonthe long term play is simply not to force his hand.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I don't see why Kim would publicly pursue nuclear capabilities, unless he's aiming to use them. He already has us at a checkmate. His position is secure.
We can't attack N. Korea TODAY! If we try to attack North Korea or kick Kim out of power. S. Korea (and the American's living there/deployed there) will have to pay the repercussions.
Kim doesn't need nukes just to keep his power. We can't topple his regime now. Even though we probably want to. Keeping Seoul hostage is keeping Kim in power. Not his nuclear program.

Insurance? Especially if/when China is ready for regime change. It's the mother of all trump cards.

Or maybe that the threat of a nuke will allow them to be more aggressive w.r.t. SK, because now every time the US wants to intercede, it needs to consider whether it's worth a nuke potentially hitting them stateside. Hurts our presence in Asia/ the Pacific.

It tough for me to say definitively Kim wants a nuke just so he can use it as a threat.

Maybe if someone could explain to me how Kim would be acting different than he is now, if he really wanted to use a nuke in the future. Then I'd understand.
In any circumstance where a threat is made. It's tough to tell if the aggressor means it, until he actually performs the act.
If someone threatened me personally, I'd take the person's word for it. Until proven otherwise.

Also, I don't think Kim is concerned about mutual assured destruction. That's why he's comfortable parading his nuclear program to the world in the first place.

Why wouldn't Kim be concerned with mutual assured destruction? I agree just the threat of nukes gives him far more leverage in extorting money, antagonizing Pacific powers, and attacking SK, and I wouldn't past him to sell to the highest bidder. But what good does it do Kim to actually nuke, say, LA and then literally be wiped off the face of the Earth?

The concern isn't KJE in his 30s, it's KJE in his 60s. Hopefully he doesn't want to go out in a blaze of glory and hopefully missile defense technology is perfected by then.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Roon wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

So what's the solution?

It's gone fine.

Totally fine. /rollseyes

The major difference is that rather than obliterating south Korea with conventional artillery or a local a bomb, or that he could impact japan, he has the technical ability to impact our territory. So it is considered worse because we are in the sphere of physical risk, rather than a safely isolated projector if power in the reason.

We are not really in any increased risk provided we aren't trying to take his regime out, because that's the sum total of his actual goals: stay in power and keep access to stuff he wants (as in luxuries and subsidies). Going to war with us kills a lot of people, and now perhaps some of us, but it is suicide for him, and he very much wants to live.

There was never really a play to keep nukes from him, both because of his needs and what the Chinese and Russians allowed. Sonthe long term play is simply not to force his hand.

I mostly agree with you, and we're almost assuredly looking at decades of containment if Trump doesn't go cowboy in the next three years.

But you're underselling the increased threat to South Korea and Japan that a nuclear DPRK represents, as well as the cover KJE would have to be aggressive against the ROK that could precipitate more devestating conflict in the end, anyway.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Well, your best bet to stop his missile program is not to reinforce his need of it. Maybe trade something for it, just as we did with Iran (who Obama rightly knew were the bigger threat to use the bomb).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Kim is a unstable leader with nuclear capability and leads a country with no one in position to stop him from using it. I don't think he will, it would be disastrous not only for N Korea but the world in general.

Donald is a unstable leader with nuclear capability but in a country with checks and balances. I also don't think he would use them but I still have angst. I have hopes this would be the one instance that military leaders would balk at following orders.

As I said in a past post, we live in dangerous times.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
tox wrote:
kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:
kikanga wrote:

The concern isn't KJE in his 30s, it's KJE in his 60s. Hopefully he doesn't want to go out in a blaze of glory and hopefully missile defense technology is perfected by then.

That's fair. I never considered that point. I guess that could be possible, though I'm not sure how likely.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject:

What can the US bargain with China to have them stop economic trade/weaponry purchases to N.Korea? Short of surrendering South China Sea, we have to go to a real trade war cutting off US market to China's export which would hurt US companies (or they simply relocate to other country)... Then there's still Russia

But war rhetoric is def not the way to go
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

How much does China need us these days vs how much we need China? They are the second largest economy in the world, they can blow us off and be the supplier for every other nation, particularly ones who do not want to deal with the US anymore. This is why this big bully rhetoric this administration is trying to pull, the one his voters wanted, is useless, powerless, laughable, and dangerous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:
How much does China need us these days vs how much we need China? They are the second largest economy in the world, they can blow us off and be the supplier for every other nation, particularly ones who do not want to deal with the US anymore. This is why this big bully rhetoric this administration is trying to pull, the one his voters wanted, is useless, powerless, laughable, and dangerous.

Not really. With China and the US, there's a different mutually assured destruction. A financial one.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
20,000 wrote:

Not really. With China and the US, there's a different mutually assured destruction. A financial one.

That's why it kinda have to be the status quo in regards to N.Korea (as much as it sucks listening to Kim Jung Un barks and launched missiles and stuff). China can't have a US friendly unified Korea at its border. No different that NATO encroaching Russia (look at how aggresive Putin has been in the past couple years). If anything gonna be different with N.Korea, it has to come from China
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:

Trump is decimating world respect for the office of president. IMO other nations will look elsewhere for leadership.

I don't think it's because they don't respect our way of life or governing I think it's because they don't respect Trump and view him as a idiot.

I posted a video in the PT of Vicente Fox roasting Trump. I don't know if it real but it does image what the world thinks of our president.

I believe we will lose some trading partners because Donald is not presidential. IMO Kim Jong-un is more presidential than Trump. I don't think Donald realizes how foolish he looks to many outside of his shrinking base.

China already has us by the short and curlies in the world trade arena. Made in China is showing up all over the place. Trump uses their steel, has his products made there.

LINK don't let this person, win a second term.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 584, 585, 586 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 585 of 3673
Jump to: