THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 586, 587, 588 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Making room for the tax cut is object one of every repeal bill. There are a lot of other pieces, but that is the commonality.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Making room for the tax cut is object one of every repeal bill. There are a lot of other pieces, but that is the commonality.

It's the sole purpose. No Koch money no jobs.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
It's not only shameful but unfair to citizens that Republicans are trying to pass a bill they don't believe in just so they can say they passed something.

I posted a video with the president of Mexico roasting Trump. Trump is so inept leaders of other country's are making fun of him.

We are the laughing stock of the world.SMH

1. They do believe in it. They think healthcare is a product, not a right, and they believe in shifting federal dollars to their coffers and away from blue states.

2. They have to have a massive health care slashing bill in order to fund their big prize, huge tax cuts for the wealthy.

Essentially, they are redistributing wealth from blue to red states and from government programs to wealthy bank balances.

Republicans aren’t voting for Graham-Cassidy. They’re just voting for Obamacare repeal.

LINK

Quote:
Senate Republicans are once again just a few votes away from repealing and replacing Obamacare. It’s a plan that senators themselves struggle to explain and defend and that emerged on the public stage mere days before an expected vote.

How have they found themselves here again, after their previous repeal bills failed in July? The underlying truth, the beating heart of Obamacare repeal that refuses to let it die, is: Republicans just want to pass a bill, any bill, to say they repealed Obamacare. Whatever standards they’ve set for their health care plan, whatever promises they made before, don’t matter.

You can also make a case that they're voting to create the conditions for an upcoming tax cut. That's why every version of Obamacare repeal contained huge Medicaid spending cuts. And those spending cuts will finance a tax cut, which they then can spin as not increasing the deficit.

There's not doubt in my mind that's the hidden agenda. What bothers me is they choose to use healthcare to fund the tax cut. Medicaid and Medicare help seniors, some middle class and underprivileged. I'm sure they can find another programs to fund the cuts.

They're taking money from entitlements. Programs that benefit seniors and underprivileged. Taking from the poor, giving it to the rich!!!

No one says it out loud but we're a Plutocracy.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
It's not only shameful but unfair to citizens that Republicans are trying to pass a bill they don't believe in just so they can say they passed something.

I posted a video with the president of Mexico roasting Trump. Trump is so inept leaders of other country's are making fun of him.

1. They do believe in it. They think healthcare is a product, not a right, and they believe in shifting federal dollars to their coffers and away from blue states.

2. They have to have a massive health care slashing bill in order to fund their big prize, huge tax cuts for the wealthy.

Essentially, they are redistributing wealth from blue to red states and from government programs to wealthy bank balances.

Republicans aren’t voting for Graham-Cassidy. They’re just voting for Obamacare repeal.

LINK

Quote:
Senate Republicans are once again just a few votes away from repealing and replacing Obamacare. It’s a plan that senators themselves struggle to explain and defend and that emerged on the public stage mere days before an expected vote.

How have they found themselves here again, after their previous repeal bills failed in July? The underlying truth, the beating heart of Obamacare repeal that refuses to let it die, is: Republicans just want to pass a bill, any bill, to say they repealed Obamacare. Whatever standards they’ve set for their health care plan, whatever promises they made before, don’t matter.

You can also make a case that they're voting to create the conditions for an upcoming tax cut. That's why every version of Obamacare repeal contained huge Medicaid spending cuts. And those spending cuts will finance a tax cut, which they then can spin as not increasing the deficit.

There's not doubt in my mind that's the hidden agenda. What bothers me is they choose to use healthcare to fund the tax cut. Medicaid and Medicare help seniors, some middle class and underprivileged. I'm sure they can find another programs to fund the cuts.

They're taking money from entitlements. Programs that benefit seniors and underprivileged. Taking from the poor, giving it to the rich!!!

No, there pretty much is no government program, short of ending social security or gutting the defense budget, where they can find the obscene amount of money needed to fund the tax cuts (and by fund, I don't mean pay for, I mean keep from expanding the debt). And evennwith health care, they have to cut millions off to raise the necessary offset.

The fact that many of them actually think they ought to take health care from the poor is bad enough, but some who dont still go for this because the tax cuts outweigh lives. Literally.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Each bill that attempts to repeal the ACA just keeps getting worse and worse. Others have done a great job of going over the details in this thread and how specifically it will hurt people, especially women and the elderly. I just keep thinking to myself, is the GOP really that insane and cold-hearted, or are they just out of touch and stubborn about "supply side economics"?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject:

If they can pass this bill and their tax cuts, they will have achieved the largest transfer of wealth in legislative history, and will have the ignomious honor of doing so by taking from the poor tongue to people who are already obscenely rich. Imagine giving a hedge fund billionaire a nine figure bonus by taking access to medical care from tens of thousands of people. Just for one guy. Yes, they really are this cold. They owe donors who wish to convert the United States to a literal oligarchy.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

No, there pretty much is no government program, short of ending social security or gutting the defense budget, where they can find the obscene amount of money needed to fund the tax cuts (and by fund, I don't mean pay for, I mean keep from expanding the debt). And evennwith health care, they have to cut millions off to raise the necessary offset.

The fact that many of them actually think they ought to take health care from the poor is bad enough, but some who dont still go for this because the tax cuts outweigh lives. Literally.

The defense budget is one place to start. We have a sound military. Trump's insistent on giving their budget a increase.

I'm not versed on program fat. I'm sure a fine tooth comb would find enough to fund some tax cuts. Also tax reform is in order. Close some loopholes that only benefit the wealthy.

Instead of cutting Medicare officials should focus on spending the monies properly. I read somewhere that 10% of the 600 billion budget is spent on improper payments. Root out improper payments by hiring sufficient staff to do the job.

Disability is another area that needs more staffing to cut down on fraud. I can't put a figure on how much would be saved if there was sufficient staff to uncover fraud.

I'm sure there are other programs that could be streamlined and made more efficient.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
If they can pass this bill and their tax cuts, they will have achieved the largest transfer of wealth in legislative history, and will have the ignomious honor of doing so by taking from the poor tongue to people who are already obscenely rich. Imagine giving a hedge fund billionaire a nine figure bonus by taking access to medical care from tens of thousands of people. Just for one guy. Yes, they really are this cold. They owe donors who wish to convert the United States to a literal oligarchy.

I'm used to seeing big donors affect legislation.
The part of this puzzle the upsets me beyond comprehension is the 10s of millions of GOP voters who are supporting this. Low and middle income people pushing against their own self-interests.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I'm used to seeing big donors affect legislation.
The part of this puzzle the upsets me beyond comprehension is the 10s of millions of GOP voters who are supporting this. Low and middle income people pushing against their own self-interests.

read this
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

I'm still in favor of single payer

Between Ocare vs Tcare I would choose Ocare

I like the idea of block grants. I think some of the blue states would create single payer or public option programs but Tcare cuts too much funding.

I think the market exchage was a bad idea
we should use that money to create a public option or expand medicaid or create a block grant program that actually covers pre-existing conditions and doesn't cut but increases funding to the states.

My goal is single payer healthcare but a public option or a well funded block grant program might lead us towards that. (Not that any of this matters since a well funded health care bill is a nonstarter in this congress)

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
#Dotard

Kim Jong Un calls Trump ‘mentally deranged U.S. dotard,’ setting off scramble for dictionaries

LINK

Quote:
“I will surely and definitely tame the mentally deranged U.S. dotard with fire.”
Kim Jong Un

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:

I like the idea of block grants. I think some of the blue states would create single payer or public option programs but Tcare cuts too much funding.

we should use that money to create a public option or expand medicaid or create a block grant program that actually covers pre-existing conditions and doesn't cut but increases funding to the states.

My goal is single payer healthcare but a public option or a well funded block grant program might lead us towards that. (Not that any of this matters since a well funded health care bill is a nonstarter in the congress)

You can't give massive tax cuts to wealthy donors by increasing health care spending. That's the point: this is a cash mining operation. The political motive to wipe out Obama's program and the ideological motive to strip healthcare from the poor are merely bonuses for these (bleep).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

You see healthcare as a fundamental issue that needs to be addressed. They see a giant bank they can loot.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

These are Trumps friend and colleagues.

GOP donors threaten to withhold funds unless their agenda is passed

LINK

Quote:
If Republican politicians aren't soon able to pass sufficiently conservative versions of healthcare and tax reform, more than a few right-leaning donors say they're going to stop cutting fundraising checks, according to the Associated Press.

"Get Obamacare repealed and replaced, get tax reform passed," Texas-based donor Doug Deason said, calling his donations a "Dallas piggy bank."

"You control the Senate. You control the House. You have the presidency. There's no reason you can't get this done. Get it done and we'll open it back up," he said.

Tax cuts

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
#Dotard

Kim Jong Un calls Trump ‘mentally deranged U.S. dotard,’ setting off scramble for dictionaries

LINK

Quote:
“I will surely and definitely tame the mentally deranged U.S. dotard with fire.”
Kim Jong Un

Sad part is Kim Jong-Un is right...
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
#Dotard

"Mentally deranged U.S. dotard".

It really does describe him quite well
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

My goal is single payer healthcare but a public option or a well funded block grant program might lead us towards that. (Not that any of this matters since a well funded health care bill is a nonstarter in the congress)

You can't give massive tax cuts to wealthy donors by increasing health care spending. That's the point: this is a cash mining operation. The political motive to wipe out Obama's program and the ideological motive to strip healthcare from the poor are merely bonuses for these (bleep).

I dont understand why they cant work with the other side more. If they destroy OCare, in 8 years or less the new Dem Pres will sign a new health care bill into law.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

I dont understand why they cant work with the other side more. If they destroy OCare, in 8 years or less the new Dem Pres will sign a new health care bill into law.

That's 8 years of getting money and the interest from it and 8 years to find a way to hide it or find the loopholes to avoid paying for it. For some of them, that's literally a lifetime.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

McCain announces he will vote NO on GOP health care bill.

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
McCain announces he will vote NO on GOP health care bill.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKWLfOtW4AAGlfc.jpg

Good. With Collins and hopefully Murcouski (probably spelling her name wrong), it should be enuf. Paul Rand said he was against it also.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

There's a lot of BS in that statement, but if he's a NO, he's a NO.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

Listening to CBS 2 news. They're reporting McCain won't vote for the Graham-Cassidy healthcare bill. This statement by Matt Cartwright is insensitive, out of place and IMO ignorant. I don't think it will change McCain's mind but he should be chastised.

Democratic congressman: McCain won't support GOP health bill because 'he's staring death in the face'

LINK

Quote:
"Man, something tells me McCain, he's staring death in the face right now, so he's probably going to make good choices and he's not going to bend to political pressure," Cartwright said.

Wilt, why do you have so little faith that McCain's truly doing what he thinks is right?

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

When he says that Democrats rammed Obamacare through Congress, he's lying. It took many months, countless committee hearings, testimonies by experts, countless amendments (many by Republicans) before Obamacare became law.

And when he says that Graham-Cassidy are acting on what's in the best interest of the country, he's lying there too. This is not about the country, it's about a stupid promise they made and to pave the way for a huge tax cut.

But as I said, if he votes NO, that's good enough for me.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

If you read between the lines, he's not voting against the policies embodied by the bill, he is voting against the procedures the Senate is using, which are out of order to regular Senate business.

Like Wilt said, I'm just glad he's voting no.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

Collins is probably a no, but Lisa Murkowski hasn't said yet. There's a lot of pressure on her and they are trying to bribe her by giving Alaska extra goodies.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 586, 587, 588 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 587 of 3671
Jump to: