THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 653, 654, 655 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Trump and the right-wing media simultaneously going "all-in" on this narrative that it was the Clinton Foundation that colluded with Russia and that they are also behind the "fake" dossier. There is a second campaign to discredit Mueller, Comey and Obama. This is an all out orchestrated effort directed at our friends like Noah. It's on Fox News and every right-wing online media outlet and is being pushed and liked and shared by hoards of bots -- JUST THE WAY IT HAPPENED DURING THE ELECTION.

Mueller must be breathing down their necks.

Quote:
Sarah Kendzior‏Verified account @sarahkendzior

My guess is that, unable to deny Russian interference, Trump admin will attempt to prosecute HRC and others who outed it. Reverse narrative.

Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 3h3 hours ago

Uranium deal to Russia, with Clinton help and Obama Administration knowledge, is the biggest story that Fake Media doesn't want to follow!

. @ foxandfriends "Russia sent millions to Clinton Foundation"

Workers of firm involved with the discredited and Fake Dossier take the 5th.

Who paid for it, Russia, the FBI or the Dems (or all)?

#Liar #Traitor #NationalEmbarrassment

huh? Like the DNC conspire with Russia to get Trump elected and beat their candidate?

Well, when you put it like that, it makes total sense.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

I'm sure the dossier is all fake. That's one of the reasons that such a low number of republican congressmen have been retiring. Everything is going great for the GOP and everyone is really happy about it.

(and in case my sarcasm is missed on this one, 3 reps and one senator have pulled the pin in the last month, which is beyond unprecedented)
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
George W. Bush: 'Bigotry seems emboldened' in US

Former President George W. Bush said Thursday that “bigotry seems emboldened” in the United States, warning that Americans need to reject “white supremacy.”

The former president also criticized the “governing class,” but did not specifically mention President Trump, Congress or any other politicians in office.

“Discontent deepened and sharpened partisan conflicts” in recent years, Bush said in remarks from New York City at a forum focused on security and sponsored by the George W. Bush Institute.

“Bigotry seems emboldened. Our politics seem more vulnerable to conspiracy theories and outright fabrication,” said Bush, who has generally stayed out of the public spotlight since leaving the White House in 2009.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/356212-george-w-bush-bigotry-seems-emboldened-in-us

How bad is it when you look back and long for the good old days when Bush was the Republican in office?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:
George W. Bush: 'Bigotry seems emboldened' in US

Former President George W. Bush said Thursday that “bigotry seems emboldened” in the United States, warning that Americans need to reject “white supremacy.”

The former president also criticized the “governing class,” but did not specifically mention President Trump, Congress or any other politicians in office.

“Discontent deepened and sharpened partisan conflicts” in recent years, Bush said in remarks from New York City at a forum focused on security and sponsored by the George W. Bush Institute.

“Bigotry seems emboldened. Our politics seem more vulnerable to conspiracy theories and outright fabrication,” said Bush, who has generally stayed out of the public spotlight since leaving the White House in 2009.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/356212-george-w-bush-bigotry-seems-emboldened-in-us

How bad is it when you look back and long for the good old days when Bush was the Republican in office?

When W shows more moral leadership than the whole GOP combined, you know you've hit bottom as a party.

Quote:
Bush also said that public confidence in the country's institutions has declined in recent decades, and warned against “a new era of cyber threats” including Russia's attempt to influence the 2016 presidential election.

“Ultimately this assault won’t succeed, but foreign aggressions including cyber attacks, disinformation, and financial influence should never be downplayed or tolerated,” he said.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

Not The Onion:

When asked to grade himself on a scale of 1-10 regarding his response to Puerto Rico disaster, Trump gave himself a 10.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Not The Onion:

When asked to grade himself on a scale of 1-10 regarding his response to Puerto Rico disaster, Trump gave himself a 10.

This can't possibly surprise you.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Key Senate Republican warns GOP to change course on ObamaCare

Senate Health Committee Chairman Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) on Thursday told GOP colleagues bluntly that their efforts to repeal ObamaCare have failed and urged them to change course.

Alexander said Republicans need to come up with a new path on health care after holding dozens of votes over the years to repeal ObamaCare and always ending in failure.

“We’ve had about 50 votes, maybe more, and we lost them all. And we made thousands of speeches and we lost them all,” Alexander said on the Senate floor.

He said that insisting on full repeal of the controversial law when the votes aren’t there would only hurt millions of Americans and could eventually lead to a single-payer health-care system if the current one collapses.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/356252-alexander-warns-gop-to-change-course-on-obamacare
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Not The Onion:

This can't possibly surprise you.

I'm not surprised Trump said this. I am still appalled we have someone in the Oval Office who is so morally and psychologically unfit to be there. I will never stop being outraged no matter how many times he proves what a soulless, ignorant coward he is.

Does that answer the question?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Not The Onion:

Not surprised. He's the reason ISIS gave up, is on the run.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Frail and disoriented, Cochran says he's not retiring

Mississippi GOP Sen. Thad Cochran insists that he is not retiring from Congress, despite widespread speculation about the veteran lawmaker’s health and political future.

The 79-year-old Cochran appeared frail and at times disoriented during a brief hallway interview on Wednesday. He was unable to answer whether he would remain chairman of the Appropriations Committee, and at one point, needed a staffer to remind him where the Senate chamber is located.

“Don’t believe everything you hear,” Cochran said in a low voice when asked whether he plans to retire after 44 years in office.

However, when queried about whether he would stay on as Appropriations chairman, Cochran seemed confused and just repeated the question. “As chairman of the Appropriations Committee?” Cochran asked.

Cochran had to be guided by staffers around a security checkpoint inside the Capitol. He started to walk into a first-floor room — though the Senate chamber is on the second floor. He was then ushered by an aide up to the Senate.

When another reporter asked whether leadership had pressured Cochran to return for a vote on the budget resolution — a key moment in the tax reform debate — Cochran smiled and responded, “It’s a beautiful day outside.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/18/thad-cochran-says-not-retiring-senate-243918?lo=ap_c1

Time to retire, Thad.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Poll: 46 percent think media make up stories about Trump

Nearly half of voters, 46 percent, believe the news media fabricate news stories about President Donald Trump and his administration, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll.

Just 37 percent of voters think the media do not fabricate stories, the poll shows, while the remaining 17 percent are undecided.

More than three-quarters of Republican voters, 76 percent, think the news media invent stories about Trump and his administration, compared with only 11 percent who don’t think so. Among Democrats, one-in-five think the media make up stories, but a 65 percent majority think they do not. Forty-four percent of independent voters think the media make up stories about Trump, and 31 percent think they do not.

Among the voters who strongly approve of Trump’s job performance in the poll, 85 percent believe the media fabricate stories about the president and his administration.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/18/trump-media-fake-news-poll-243884

Pretty scary numbers, especially among D and I. 20% of D's and 44% of I's? Really? More people think the media makes up stories than do not...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:

Nearly half of voters, 46 percent, believe the news media fabricate news stories about President Donald Trump and his administration, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll.

Just 37 percent of voters think the media do not fabricate stories, the poll shows, while the remaining 17 percent are undecided.

More than three-quarters of Republican voters, 76 percent, think the news media invent stories about Trump and his administration, compared with only 11 percent who don’t think so. Among Democrats, one-in-five think the media make up stories, but a 65 percent majority think they do not. Forty-four percent of independent voters think the media make up stories about Trump, and 31 percent think they do not.

Among the voters who strongly approve of Trump’s job performance in the poll, 85 percent believe the media fabricate stories about the president and his administration.

Pretty scary numbers, especially among D and I. 20% of D's and 44% of I's? Really? More people think the media makes up stories than do not...

What's scary, this is exactly what Trump is trying to do, destroy media credibility. Some of Trumps tactics are well planned and orchestrated. He's not smart enough to really know what he's doing. I wonder who's advising him?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:

What's scary, this is exactly what Trump is trying to do, destroy media credibility. Some of Trumps tactics are well planned and orchestrated. He's not smart enough to really know what he's doing. I wonder who's advising him?

Nazi Expert Says Trump Is Using Hitler's 'Playbook'

Hitler used the term: Lügenpresse = lying press (fake news)

These poll results are precisely why I keep sounding the alarm that Trump is destroying the very fabric of our Democracy. I'm called a hater. I'm called obsessive. Whatever. But I'm also not wrong.

This is mass brainwashing. Just like the millions of fake Facebook & Twitter propaganda posts/advertisements/stories/shares that spread on social media during the election like a virus. This is what I meant when I said people need to wake the (bleep) up.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:

I mean. I've sean Fox News and Breitbart make up stories to defend Trump. Saying Barack did the exact same thing (even when he obviously didn't). The Muslim ban comes to mind for 1 example. Barack personally wiretapping Trump is another example of media making up stories involving Trump.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Not The Onion:

Quote:

Unfortunately, the administration’s actions have been entirely consistent with the president’s disdainful remarks. The federal government’s response has been lethargic. Last week, I interviewed the Aqueduct and Sewer Authority president on San Juan radio station NotiUno. He informed me that of 150 backup generators he had requested from the Federal Emergency Management Agency on the day of the storm to keep potable water flowing into homes, only 17 had been installed in the 20 days that followed. So never mind Trump’s statement on Monday that “Puerto Rico now has more generators, I believe, than any place in the world. There are generators all over the place.”

Sure sounds like he deserves that grade.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

Mother Jones - Rigged: How Voter Suppression Threw Wisconsin to Trump -And possibly handed him the whole election.

Quote:
On election night, Anthony was shocked to see Trump carry Wisconsin by nearly 23,000 votes. The state, which ranked second in the nation in voter participation in 2008 and 2012, saw its lowest turnout since 2000. More than half the state’s decline in turnout occurred in Milwaukee, which Clinton carried by a 77-18 margin, but where almost 41,000 fewer people voted in 2016 than in 2012. Turnout fell only slightly in white middle-class areas of the city but plunged in black ones. In Anthony’s old district, where aging houses on quiet tree-lined streets are interspersed with boarded-up buildings and vacant lots, turnout dropped by 23 percent from 2012. This is where Clinton lost the state and, with it, the larger narrative about the election.

Quote:
The impact of Wisconsin’s voter ID law received almost no attention. When it did, it was often dismissive. Two days after the election, Talking Points Memo ran a piece by University of California-Irvine law professor Rick Hasen under the headline “Democrats Blame ‘Voter Suppression’ for Clinton Loss at Their Peril.” Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said it was “a load of crap” to claim that the voter ID law had led to lower turnout. When Clinton, in an interview with New York magazine, said her loss was “aided and abetted by the suppression of the vote, particularly in Wisconsin,” the Washington Examiner responded, “Hillary Clinton Blames Voter Suppression for Losing a State She Didn’t Visit Once During the Election.” As the months went on, pundits on the right and left turned Clinton’s loss into a case study for her campaign’s incompetence and the Democratic Party’s broader abandonment of the white working class. Voter suppression efforts were practically ignored, when they weren’t mocked.

Quote:
After the election, registered voters in Milwaukee County and Madison’s Dane County were surveyed about why they didn’t cast a ballot. Eleven percent cited the voter ID law and said they didn’t have an acceptable ID; of those, more than half said the law was the “main reason” they didn’t vote. According to the study’s author, University of Wisconsin-Madison political scientist Kenneth Mayer, that finding implies that between 12,000 and 23,000 registered voters in Madison and Milwaukee—and as many as 45,000 statewide—were deterred from voting by the ID law. “We have hard evidence there were tens of thousands of people who were unable to vote because of the voter ID law,” he says.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

People from various factions don't believe the media for different reasons.

I have a couple friends on the left that post daily about how vaccines are very harmful, the Rothschilds own the entire world, chemtrails are killling us all, Queen Elizabeth runs world politics, etc. They don't believe anything they read in the media.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

As many probably predicted: Kelly goes out once again to cover (lie) for Trump, attacking that Congresswoman. Loses credibility each time.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
As many probably predicted: Kelly goes out once again to cover (lie) for Trump, attacking that Congresswoman. Loses credibility each time.

Kelly lecturing on etiquette in regards to Gold Star families. Considering who Kelly has chosen to work for and defend, the hypocrisy is overwhelming
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

Look, I understand the notion that Kelly is serving the country, not Trump, and that having people like him and Mattis in the administration is a good thing (though in the long run Trump will taint them so much, they will lose much of their credibility). But don't go out and present us a version of Trump that doesn't exist in reality. When you do that, you will inevitably lie and everyone knows you're lying. And don't use your perceived inviolability as a general to criticize other politicians when you work for a despicable human being yourself.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Kelly and Mattis are the strongest people between Trump and the red button. Maybe they're taking a hit for the team (America)

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

If I remember correctly, the Congresswoman just happened to be there when the call was made and is a friend of the family, so to say that it "stuns" him that she was there during the call is Trumpian spin because it assumes that everyone opposing Trump has the same malicious motivations as Trump, and that's how even good people like Kelly lose credibility. When you work in an environment of constant dishonesty, that's what happens.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

I have a couple friends on the left that post daily about how vaccines are very harmful, the Rothschilds own the entire world, chemtrails are killling us all, Queen Elizabeth runs world politics, etc. They don't believe anything they read in the media.

Distrust of the media goes back to being that only a couple of mega corporations own all media outlets here in the US. In other countries like Russia, the government owns the media, here in the US its a handful of corporations.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:

I personally strongly disapprove of Trump and I believe the media fabricates stories about him and his administration...I believe Fox "News" and sources like Britbart fabricate positive stories about Trump and his administration.

Last edited by SweetP on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Distrust of the media goes back to being that only a couple of mega corporations own all media outlets here in the US. In other countries like Russia, the government owns the media, here in the US its a handful of corporations.

Sure, I don't like the fact that only a handful of corporations own most media outlets, but that doesn't mean that they employ an army of dishonest journalists who take their marching orders from their corporate bosses. That's what many on the right and left unfortunately believe. Maybe there's an implicit agreement that people that, say, work for NBC won't run stories detrimental to Comcast, but I think our mainstream media is generally free and has certain standards. They make mistakes and that's life.

Last edited by Wilt on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 653, 654, 655 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 654 of 3673
Jump to: