THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 656, 657, 658 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:
You can prevent a launch of nuclear weapons without being a lying, arrogant, as*hole with an inflated sense of moral superiority.

And if Trump tells you to lie for him, resign immediately and tell the entire world why you were fired and how dangerous Trump is. It would make you a hero.

If only it were that easy. This isn't a movie. And that wouldn't be grounds for impeaching Trump, which is the only way this will end.

It would be really that easy.

No one cares that Sean Spicer or Reince Priebus resigned or were fired. It's precisely people like Kelly and Mattis that can pull it off and can have big impact. People would care that these perceived examples of extreme patriotism and moral virtue exposed Trump. But I think it's too late anyway. They're in too deep and they're much closer to Trump politically than people acknowledge and Kelly, especially, has exposed himself as being extremely political and a culture warrior. His nonsensical rant about how women, religion, and life were considered sacred in the past proves it.

If getting Trump out of office was as easy as Kelly vocally resigning, it would have happened already. It would dominate the news for a few days then go away.

I think they're waiting for the Mueller investigation shoe to drop. Their actions during that will tell me all I need to know, and I'll change my mind accordingly when it happens.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:
You can prevent a launch of nuclear weapons without being a lying, arrogant, as*hole with an inflated sense of moral superiority.

And if Trump tells you to lie for him, resign immediately and tell the entire world why you were fired and how dangerous Trump is. It would make you a hero.

If only it were that easy. This isn't a movie. And that wouldn't be grounds for impeaching Trump, which is the only way this will end.

No one cares that Sean Spicer or Reince Priebus resigned or were fired. It's precisely people like Kelly and Mattis that can pull it off and can have big impact. People would care that these perceived examples of extreme patriotism and moral virtue exposed Trump. But I think it's too late anyway. They're in too deep and they're much closer to Trump politically than people acknowledge and Kelly, especially, has exposed himself as being extremely political and a culture warrior. His nonsensical rant about how women, religion, and life were considered sacred in the past proves it.

If getting Trump out of office was as easy as Kelly vocally resigning, it would have happened already. It would dominate the news for a few days then go away.

I think they're waiting for the Mueller investigation shoe to drop. Their actions during that will tell me all I need to know, and I'll change my mind accordingly when it happens.

Trumps not getting impeached its like you said it would of happenend already
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

That Lawrence o'donnell segment was good. Also read about how rachel maddow was saying Chad withdrew troops due to the ban. troops had patrolled there dozen times in 6 months no incidence and locals were being protected.

Trump call to widow of fallen soldier (not la david johnson)
http://nypost.com/2017/10/20/widow-of-fallen-soldier-releases-phone-call-with-trump/
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

Its amazing how many people are gonna make themselves look like (bleep) fools to protect this piece of trash from himself.

!...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

When the undercover cop works for an unrespectable douchebag, sometimes they have to do things to keep that cover up. That's my theory anyway.

That cop can keep his cover without attacking the grieving family of a fellow soldier, as I am sure the General is well aware of. At the point he does resort to that, he becomes every bit the dirty cop his boss is.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
That Lawrence o'donnell segment was good. Also read about how rachel maddow was saying Chad withdrew troops due to the ban. troops had patrolled there dozen times in 6 months no incidence and locals were being protected.

Trump call to widow of fallen soldier (not la david johnson)
http://nypost.com/2017/10/20/widow-of-fallen-soldier-releases-phone-call-with-trump/

WOW!! Where did the rest of the things he supposedly said come from?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I think you're underestimating the impact of a demonstrative resignation, and I think you're also underestimating (as 24 said) how close Kelly and Trump are politically.

Maybe Kelly, while more measured than Trump in the way he behaves (though that attack on the Congresswoman didn't help), agrees with the aggressive, nationalist, militaristic rhetoric by Trump. There are plenty of patriotic generals who wouldn't want to work for that monster in the White House, but Kelly decided to do it. And maybe there's something to it.

BTW, I'm not saying that Kelly, Mattis, and McMaster demonstrably resigning should lead to Trump's impeachment or resignation, but the political fallout could have a significant impact on his behavior. It would be the biggest humiliation of his presidency and it might lead to Republicans in Congress being tougher. Not impeachment, but being able to stand up to Trump without fear or retribution.

And as it stands: Trump can launch nuclear weapons whenever he wants. Imagine Kelly or Mattis telling the country and the world that Congress should immediately pass a law that changes the process of launching nuclear weapons. There's already a bill introduced by a Democratic Congressman that does exactly that, but it's not going anywhere now because there's no political will among Republicans to upset Trump.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

Kelly and Mattie are also both in the process of wrangling huge dollars and latitude for the military, because their boss is in love with it. One of the things the generals hated about Obama is that he took his oversight seriously and held them accountable. With Trump, they have huge leeway to define their own foreign policy
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I think you're underestimating the impact of a demonstrative resignation, and I think you're also underestimating (as 24 said) how close Kelly and Trump are politically.

Maybe Kelly, while more measured than Trump in the way he behaves (though that attack on the Congresswoman didn't help), agrees with the aggressive, nationalist, militaristic rhetoric by Trump. There are plenty of patriotic generals who wouldn't want to work for that monster in the White House, but Kelly decided to do it. And maybe there's something to it.

BTW, I'm not saying that Kelly, Mattis, and McMaster demonstrably resigning should lead to Trump's impeachment or resignation, but the political fallout could have a significant impact on his behavior. It would be the biggest humiliation of his presidency and it might lead to Republicans in Congress being tougher. Not impeachment, but being able to stand up to Trump without fear or retribution.

And as it stands: Trump can launch nuclear weapons whenever he wants. Imagine Kelly or Mattis telling the country and the world that Congress should immediately pass a law that changes the process of launching nuclear weapons. There's already a bill introduced by a Democratic Congressman that does exactly that, but it's not going anywhere now because there's no political will among Republicans to upset Trump.

So north korea nuke cali and we have to wait for congress to hold a vote before striking back. In that time NK could launch another attack.

Yeah I dont see that bill getting passed
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Wilt wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:

So north korea nuke cali and we have to wait for congress to hold a vote before striking back. In that time NK could launch another attack.

Yeah I dont see that bill getting passed

You would do us all a service by being conversant with the material before pontificating on it.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:

No, that's not how it would work.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/669
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Quote:

Trump may be the impetus behind that bill. Though it was only a film, Crimson Tide comes to mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

No, that's not how it would work.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/669

Okay it's only first strike which is cool. I should of just asked instead of assuming
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

Unmasking California’s New White Supremacists

Racist, Violent, Unpunished: A White Hate Group’s Campaign of Menace

They train to fight. They post their beatings online. And so far, they have little reason to fear the authorities.

Normalized, emboldened and not held accountable.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
D.N.C. CHAIR PURGES DISSENTERS IN SURPRISE SHAKE-UP

Sanders loyalists and Ellison supporters were among the officials ousted amid an ongoing intra-party feud.

The Republican Party isn’t the only political establishment in shambles following the shock election of Donald Trump last fall. In a move that exacerbated the vast intra-party rift exposed during last year’s presidential primary between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders, Democratic National Committee Chairman Tom Perez has stripped a number of longtime party officials of their “at-large” delegate status or leadership positions, while appointing a slate of 75 new members that include Clinton campaign veterans, lobbyists, and neophytes.

Perez revealed his picks this week, ahead of the D.N.C.’s first meeting since he was elected chairman. Upon perusing it, progressive party members were incensed to find that he had demoted a number of veteran delegates who’d backed either Minnesota Congressman Keith Ellison in his bid for party chairman against Perez, or Sanders in 2016. (Ellison, who now serves as Perez’s deputy, was widely viewed as a proxy candidate for the more liberal, Sanders wing of the party.) Those ousted include Ray Buckley, James Zogby, Alice Germond, and Barbara Casbar Siperstein, NBC News reports. “I’m concerned about the optics, and I’m concerned about the impact,” Zogby said of the D.N.C. shake-up. “I want to heal the wound of 2016.”

To add insult to injury, Perez also tapped several individuals who have lobbying or corporate-interest backgrounds—a move that has sparked criticism in the past.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/10/tom-perez-dnc-shake-up

Oh yeah, and Donna Brazile was named to the rules committee too. Cheat, resign and get rewarded.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

It will be interesting to see the whole slate, but this isnan excellent example of how you cherry pick details to create a narrative. Some Ellison/Sanders supporters were let go, many were not, some of the new folks have ties to clinton (gasp) but not all or even most, some Ellison suggestions were actually put on the list...
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
It will be interesting to see the whole slate, but this isnan excellent example of how you cherry pick details to create a narrative. Some Ellison/Sanders supporters were let go, many were not, some of the new folks have ties to clinton (gasp) but not all or even most, some Ellison suggestions were actually put on the list...

Here's the whole list FYI, since you asked: http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/355954-dnc-chairman-aims-for-diversity-with-delegate-nominations

Also, can you defend the Donna Brazile appointment?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Here's the whole list FYI, since you asked: http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/355954-dnc-chairman-aims-for-diversity-with-delegate-nominations

Seems to confirm my initial take that in total, the new slate is not a "let's get rid of dissenters" purge the last article portrayed it as. Added millenials, native americans, and lgbtq people. Seems overall a good step, without knowing each person.

As for Donna, I was disappointed in her, but I understand why she made her mistake, and she's done a lot for the party, so I'm a bit ambivalent.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Fwiw, some people who supported clinton apparently among the cuts.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Seems to confirm my initial take that in total, the new slate is not a "let's get rid of dissenters" purge the last article portrayed it as. Added millenials, native americans, and lgbtq people. Seems overall a good step, without knowing each person.

As for Donna, I was disappointed in her, but I understand why she made her mistake, and she's done a lot for the party, so I'm a bit ambivalent.

Fair enough, thanks for answering.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Unmasking California’s New White Supremacists

Racist, Violent, Unpunished: A White Hate Group’s Campaign of Menace

They train to fight. They post their beatings online. And so far, they have little reason to fear the authorities.

Normalized, emboldened and not held accountable.

3 arrested attempted homicide. i believe they were in those videos maybe charlottesville as well.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/gainesville-police-department/3-arrested-for-shooting-after-richard-spencer-speech/1481821918520731/
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I can't imagine the kind of internal torment he's going through knowing that his boss just used his dead son as a prop, yet he has to grimace and eat the (bleep) burger so he can keep an eye on the guy who's more than happy to press the red button.

No he doesn't. Regardless of why he may be there, he doesn't have to do that at all. And a man off integrity would not.

Kelly is not a man of integrity. That lame excuse of him babysitting the POS in the WH is just that, an excuse for him to serve a man he totally agrees with. He's not there to keep an eye on the POS, but more like to streamline the WH operations, make the transition to a dictatorship more efficient. Let's not fool ourselves, Kelly is nothing more than a "decorated" Steve Bannon. If this was 1861 he would be serving the Confederacy.
And no, that POS will never dare push the red button. He's a coward and won't dare take any responsibility. He's a typical bully who'll back down when somebody fights back.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

The ceremony Kelly was talking about below?

Quote:
And a congresswoman stood up, and in the long tradition of empty barrels making the most noise, stood up there and all of that and talked about how she was instrumental in getting the funding for that building, and how she took care of her constituents because she got the money, and she just called up President Obama, and on that phone call he gave the money — the $20 million — to build the building. And she sat down, and we were stunned. Stunned that she had done it. Even for someone that is that empty a barrel, we were stunned.

Whoops. They released the full video of it today.

There are only two explanations for what he said. Either his memory is horrible or he flat out lied.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Fair enough, thanks for answering.

Condemn Donna? She made a misstep for party. Donna admitted her mistake.

Brazile: Sending Clinton town hall topics ‘mistake I will forever regret’

LINK
Quote:
“My job was to make all our Democratic candidates look good, and I worked closely with both campaigns to make that happen,” she wrote. “But sending those emails was a mistake I will forever regret.”
I like her appointment.

Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
The ceremony Kelly was talking about below?

Quote:
And a congresswoman stood up, and in the long tradition of empty barrels making the most noise, stood up there and all of that and talked about how she was instrumental in getting the funding for that building, and how she took care of her constituents because she got the money, and she just called up President Obama, and on that phone call he gave the money — the $20 million — to build the building. And she sat down, and we were stunned. Stunned that she had done it. Even for someone that is that empty a barrel, we were stunned.

Whoops. They released the full video of it today.

There are only two explanations for what he said. Either his memory is horrible or he flat out lied.

Both. He works for Trump, so lie first, when caught blame it on bad memory.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 656, 657, 658 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 657 of 3673
Jump to: