THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 658, 659, 660 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject:

Yup, once he attacked that black congresswoman with racially tinged lies, he showed his true colors that had been mostly hidden from the public at large.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

I think Steve Bannon is emblematic of the terrible direction we've gone over the past year. Here's a guy who was not accepted in civilized society nine months ago due to his political ideology (Is he a neo-Nazi? White supremacist?
Racist? Anti-semite? I don't know, but they sure like him). There was widespread outrage.

Now? He's in the headlines like any other political voice. He's been accepted. And that's a problem.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
How John Kelly Exposed Himself As Steve Bannon Lite
He’s proven himself to be an authoritarian and a true Trump soulmate.

The notion of the three retired generals surrounding Donald Trump―National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster, Defense Secretary James Mattis, and Chief of Staff John Kelly―protecting Americans from an unstable, impulsive demagogue who might create global catastrophe has been around since the beginning of the Trump presidency.

The narrative, that these individuals are privately more moderate and responsible, has been bandied about by pundits, reporters and other observers. For many in the public it’s been something to feel mildly hopeful about, no doubt.

But in the case of John Kelly it never quite fit. And now, in the aftermath of the week-long controversy over Trump’s call to the widow of a soldier killed in an ambush in Niger―a story in which Kelly emerged to defend Trump and make false statements―it’s clear the narrative regarding Kelly has always been absolutely incorrect.

I'll admit to being one who thought Kelly was a buffer to soften some of Trumps policies. I'm beginning to believe he's of Trumps ilk.

I'm conflicted on his importance concerning war. I hold with he's a shield against Trump pushing the red button. I believe he'd advise against it. My conflict is will he be talked into doing it Trumps way. I entreat divinity he won't be.

Overall Kelly's turning out to be a disappointed. Trump is moving the country away from it's foundation, freedom of speech, press and religion. We live in dangerous times. Great Powers Fall From Within

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Yup, once he attacked that black congresswoman with racially tinged lies, he showed his true colors that had been mostly hidden from the public at large.

Here's a thread on Twitter by a prominent black feminist author. She explains point by point how a NYT article frames the Rep. Wilson story in a way that casts her in a negative light through the use of language, both sideism and underlying negative assumptions. This is how institutional racism works. It's not even obviously racist to 99% of the people reading the article, or even obviously racist to the author doing the writing/framing. That's why it's important to read the deconstruction of the article by an expert on this topic: Link

NYT staff covering Trump: 100% White
Non-white population: 39%

This is why you need diversity in newsrooms, including editorial staff.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

And then there's the GOP budget:

Quote:
Kamala Harris‏Verified account @KamalaHarris

The GOP budget will:
✂️Cut $500 billion from Medicare
✂️Cut $1 trillion from Medicaid
📈Increase the deficit by $1.5 trillion

Explain to me the conservative principle that justifies adding $1.5 trillion to the deficit? This isn't for an infrastructure program or a jobs program. This is solely to finance a huge tax giveaway to the 1% and corporations on the backs of the middle-class, elderly, poor, children and vets. No new jobs program. No job training. No repairing bridges, roads or tunnels. No upgrade of the transportation system. No support for education. No money for medical research, or energy research or science. Just puts the money right in the pockets of the rich.

Thanks, Trump/GOP voters.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

and the 1.5T extra deficit is assuming the sunniest day scenario we have ever had during a 10 year span. In other words, it will be closer to 2.5T!
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

The GOP budget will:

Explain to me the conservative principle that justifies adding $1.5 trillion to the deficit? This isn't for an infrastructure program or a jobs program. This is solely to finance a huge tax giveaway to the 1% and corporations on the backs of the middle-class, elderly, poor, children and vets. No new jobs program. No job training. No repairing bridges, roads or tunnels. No upgrade of the transportation system. No support for education. No money for medical research, or energy research or science. Just puts the money right in the pockets of the rich.

Maybe I'm miss understanding something, how do you cut 1.5 trillion from Medicare and Medicaid when we only spend around a trillion combined. I'm pretty sure we do atleast

Edit: okay i think i got it. The 1.5 trillion in spending cuts is over the life of the bill.
The 1.5 trillion deficit is because of the tax cut.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

I think they can't make it permanent if they want to pass it under reconciliation. After 10 years, the law would expire. Which is why Bush's tax cuts were not permanent either.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject:

US Preparing to Put Nuclear Bombers Back on 24-Hour Alert

Quote:
BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. — The U.S. Air Force is preparing to put nuclear-armed bombers back on 24-hour ready alert, a status not seen since the Cold War ended in 1991.

That means the long-dormant concrete pads at the ends of this base’s 11,000-foot runway — dubbed the “Christmas tree” for their angular markings — could once again find several B-52s parked on them, laden with nuclear weapons and set to take off at a moment’s notice.

“This is yet one more step in ensuring that we’re prepared,” Gen. David Goldfein, Air Force chief of staff, said in an interview during his six-day tour of Barksdale and other U.S. Air Force bases that support the nuclear mission. “I look at it more as not planning for any specific event, but more for the reality of the global situation we find ourselves in and how we ensure we’re prepared going forward.”

But HRC was the hawk, and both were the lesser of two evils and EMAILS.

Lord, have mercy on us all.

And if you think Trump is lacking in empathy for one of our own dead veterans and our own citizens in Puerto Rico, do you think he'd have even one ounce of reflection or hesitation if it meant dropping a bomb on non-white people half way around the globe?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. — The U.S. Air Force is preparing to put nuclear-armed bombers back on 24-hour ready alert, a status not seen since the Cold War ended in 1991.

That means the long-dormant concrete pads at the ends of this base’s 11,000-foot runway — dubbed the “Christmas tree” for their angular markings — could once again find several B-52s parked on them, laden with nuclear weapons and set to take off at a moment’s notice.

“This is yet one more step in ensuring that we’re prepared,” Gen. David Goldfein, Air Force chief of staff, said in an interview during his six-day tour of Barksdale and other U.S. Air Force bases that support the nuclear mission. “I look at it more as not planning for any specific event, but more for the reality of the global situation we find ourselves in and how we ensure we’re prepared going forward.”

And if you think Trump is lacking in empathy for one of our own dead veterans and our own citizens in Puerto Rico, do you think he'd have even one ounce of reflection or hesitation if it meant dropping a bomb on non-white people half way around the globe?

Take note: Japan, dropped bombs, Korea, dropped bombs, Vietnam, dropped bombs, Iraq, dropped bombs, Afghanistan, dropped bombs///// Europe, Radio Free Europe, Russia, Cold War, Berlin, The Wall. What's wrong with this picture?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Take note: Japan, dropped bombs, Korea, dropped bombs, Vietnam, dropped bombs, Iraq, dropped bombs, Afghanistan, dropped bombs///// Europe, Radio Free Europe, Russia, Cold War, Berlin, The Wall. What's wrong with this picture?

I was talking about nuclear since that was the subject of the article.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm trying not to freak out about nuclear war but things sure feel like they're escalating fast. Also it's not like I have any control over anything that happens, so... yeah.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

I was talking about nuclear since that was the subject of the article.

OK. Visions of the 1962 blockade flashed before my eyes. That was very close to being a nuclear confrontation. The Cuban Missile Crisis led to the denuclearization of Cuba.

I didn't have any angst because we had a intelligent president n 1962 (JFK). I'm not at all at ease with the unstable person leading us now.

I'm hoping because of N Korea's proximity to Russia and China one of those countries will intervene.

I hope Trump is saber rattling.

CAN TRUMP MOUNT A FIRST STRIKE AGAINST N. KOREA WITHOUT CONGRESSIONAL APPROVAL?

LINK

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
wow.

Interesting read and it's from Sept. 22 at that.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

State Department revokes visa of top Putin critic Browder

A critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin has reportedly had his visa revoked by the State Department, according to multiple reports.

Bill Browder tweeted about the situation this weekend, saying: "Not only did Putin add me to the Interpol list, but the US simultaneously revoked my visa."

Browder, a British citizen, was put on the Interpol wanted list this past weekend, according to the Guardian.

Browder was a driving force behind the Magnitsky Act, a U.S. law under which Russians suspected of human rights abuses can see their assets frozen and visas revoked by the U.S. government. It was named after Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky, who died under mysterious circumstances while imprisoned in Russia. Magnitsky served as a lawyer to Browder.

More Trump favors for his buddy Putin.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I can't imagine the kind of internal torment he's going through knowing that his boss just used his dead son as a prop, yet he has to grimace and eat the (bleep) burger so he can keep an eye on the guy who's more than happy to press the red button.

No he doesn't. Regardless of why he may be there, he doesn't have to do that at all. And a man off integrity would not.

Kelly is not a man of integrity. That lame excuse of him babysitting the POS in the WH is just that, an excuse for him to serve a man he totally agrees with. He's not there to keep an eye on the POS, but more like to streamline the WH operations, make the transition to a dictatorship more efficient. Let's not fool ourselves, Kelly is nothing more than a "decorated" Steve Bannon. If this was 1861 he would be serving the Confederacy.
And no, that POS will never dare push the red button. He's a coward and won't dare take any responsibility. He's a typical bully who'll back down when somebody fights back.

I disagree about the nuke. I think he's dying to use one, from the comfort of his chair.

I agree with you to an extent. Trump has made to many comments that demonstrate a fascination with nukes and a willingness to use them that there's no way I would say he's too cowardly to use them. I don't know if I would go as far as to say he's "eager" to use them, but clearly it's a possibility he has entertained in his mind. I think he's too stupid and clueless to truly understand the implications of doing so. So I don't think cowardice would ever enter into it. He's so egotistical and out of touch with reality that I think he would view using them as a heroic, conquering move. He is too ignorant to be afraid to use them.

This post is so true it's scary. Trump's not thinking about the consequences of a nuclear war. He's to ignorant to know what the fallout would mean to the world at large. Donald doesn't realize in a nuclear confrontation there will be no winner. Tillerson supposedly said it best we have a F___in Moron in office.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Various screwups happened during that era, too. Pretty recent history in the general scheme of time. We probably didn't have half the awareness of these tenuous moments that we had during the CMC.

11/9/79
A computer error at NORAD headquarters led to alarm and full preparation for a nonexistent large-scale Soviet attack.[5] NORAD notified national security adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski that the Soviet Union had launched 250 ballistic missiles with a trajectory for the United States, stating that a decision to retaliate would need to be made by the president within 3 to 7 minutes. NORAD computers then placed the number of incoming missiles at 2,200.[14] Strategic Air Command was notified, nuclear bombers prepared for takeoff, and intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) crews were presumably placed on alert. Within six to seven minutes of the initial response, satellite and radar systems were able to confirm that the attack was a false alarm.[15] It was found that a training scenario was inadvertently loaded into an operational computer. Commenting on the incident, U.S. State Department adviser Marshall Shulman stated that "false alerts of this kind are not a rare occurrence. There is a complacency about handling them that disturbs me."[14] In the months following the incident there were 3 more false alarms at NORAD, 2 of them caused by faulty computer chips.[5]

----
9/26/83 (USSR shot down S Korean passenger jet on 1st of that month and were sketchy over Reagan's "act of barbarism" comments):

Stanislav Petrov, a lieutenant colonel in the Soviet Air Defense Forces, was the officer on duty at the Serpukhov-15 bunker near Moscow which housed the command center of the Soviet early warning satellites, code-named Oko.[10] Petrov's responsibilities included observing the satellite early warning network and notifying his superiors of any impending nuclear missile attack against the Soviet Union. If notification was received from the early warning systems that inbound missiles had been detected, the Soviet Union's strategy was an immediate and compulsory nuclear counter-attack against the United States (launch on warning), specified in the doctrine of mutual assured destruction.[11]

Shortly after midnight, the bunker's computers reported that one intercontinental ballistic missile was heading toward the Soviet Union from the United States. Petrov considered the detection a computer error, since a first-strike nuclear attack by the United States was likely to involve hundreds of simultaneous missile launches in order to disable any Soviet means of a counterattack. Furthermore, the satellite system's reliability had been questioned in the past.[12] Petrov dismissed the warning as a false alarm, though accounts of the event differ as to whether he notified his superiors[11] or not[8][full citation needed] after he concluded that the computer detections were false and that no missile had been launched. Petrov's suspicion that the warning system was malfunctioning was confirmed when no missile in fact arrived. Later, the computers identified four additional missiles in the air, all directed towards the Soviet Union. Petrov suspected that the computer system was malfunctioning again, despite having no direct means to confirm this.[13] The Soviet Union's land radar was incapable of detecting missiles beyond the horizon,[12] and waiting for it to positively identify the threat would limit the Soviet Union's response time to a few minutes.[citation needed]

It was subsequently determined that the false alarms were caused by a rare alignment of sunlight on high-altitude clouds and the satellites' Molniya orbits,[14] an error later corrected by cross-referencing a geostationary satellite.[15]

In explaining the factors leading to his decision, Petrov cited his belief and training that any U.S. first strike would be massive, so five missiles seemed an illogical start.[11] In addition, the launch detection system was new and in his view not yet wholly trustworthy, while ground radar had failed to pick up corroborative evidence even after several minutes of the false alarm.[12]
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Also today, the Scumbag-In-Chief tweeted out a lie about the Gold Star widow, saying he definitely mentioned Sgt. Johnson's name in the phone call with her. He tweeted this after she said in a TV interview this morning was what hurt the most is that Trump didn't even seem to know her husband's name when he phoned.

He can't even stop himself from attacking a grieving widow. How hard is it for the "most powerful man" on earth to just say, "I'm sorry if I hurt her and she has my deepest sympathies in her time of grief." Can't someone on his (bleep) White House staff write it out for him or take over his phone and at least (bleep) pretend to act like a real president and show some tiny ounce of class for a change?

People who continue to defend this monstrosity of a human being are beyond my understanding.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

He really has no clue what's going on.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2017/10/23/16522456/trump-bartiromo-transcript

Quote:
It’s not exactly a news flash at this point that Donald Trump isn’t very fluent on questions of public policy, but his interview over the weekend with Fox Business Channel’s Maria Bartiromo is really a sobering reminder of the levels of ignorance and dishonesty that the country is dealing with.

Trump doesn’t know anything about any issue

As a table setter, here is Trump attempting to tout a report by his own Council of Economic Advisers arguing that cutting the corporate tax rate to 20 percent will raise the average American household’s wages by $4,000:

And I think that there’s tremendous appetite. There’s tremendous spirit for it, not only by the people we’re dealing with in Congress but for the people out there that want to see something — $5,000, almost. It can be $5,000 average per individual — per group. And so I’m really looking forward to it. Let’s see what happens.

Of course $4,000 and $5,000 are different amounts of money, as you will swiftly learn if you attempt to give someone $4,000 to discharge a $5,000 debt. And individuals aren’t households. Trump seems to have kinda sorta caught himself on this one and corrected himself from “per individual” to “per group.” But of course there are all kinds of groups.

That is Trump’s grasp of his administration’s analysis of his own No. 1 policy priority — he can’t remember either the amount of money involved or the unit of analysis. A bit later, Trump shows a similar grasp of detail in describing his view of the bipartisan health care legislation from Sens. Patty Murray (D-WA) and Lamar Alexander (R-TN):

Well, I’ve — I have looked at it very, very strongly. And pretty much, we can do almost what they’re getting. I — I think he is a tremendous person. I don’t know Sen. Murray. I hear very, very good things.

I know that Lamar Alexander’s a fine man, and he is really in there to do good for the people. We can do pretty much what we have to do without, you know, the secretary has tremendous leeway in the — under the Obama plans. One of the things that they did, because they were so messed up, they had no choice but to give the secretary leeway because they knew he’d have to be — he or she would have to be changing all the time.

And we can pretty much do whatever we have to do just the way it is. So this was going to be temporary, prior to repeal and replace. We’re going to repeal and replace Obamacare.

Trump has no information about, interest in, or knowledge of the substance of the bill. Instead, he judges it entirely on the basis of his personal impressions of the legislators involved. Except while he vouches that Alexander is “a fine man,” he hasn’t bothered to get to know Murray at all, even though she’s the top Democrat on the committee with jurisdiction over health care and health care was his main legislative initiative for the first nine months of his administration.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

A critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin has reportedly had his visa revoked by the State Department, according to multiple reports.

Bill Browder tweeted about the situation this weekend, saying: "Not only did Putin add me to the Interpol list, but the US simultaneously revoked my visa."

Browder, a British citizen, was put on the Interpol wanted list this past weekend, according to the Guardian.

Browder was a driving force behind the Magnitsky Act, a U.S. law under which Russians suspected of human rights abuses can see their assets frozen and visas revoked by the U.S. government. It was named after Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky, who died under mysterious circumstances while imprisoned in Russia. Magnitsky served as a lawyer to Browder.

Update:

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/356774-putin-critic-cleared-to-travel-to-us
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Update:

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/356774-putin-critic-cleared-to-travel-to-us

Soooooo, he'll be dead of poisoning at his hotel the night he lands.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Update:

I mean this is obvious collusion of the worst kind. Trump deserves to be executed for treason.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Browder, a U.S.-born British financier whose former lawyer, Sergei Magnitsky, was tortured to death in a Russian prison after exposing the corruption of Putin’s inner circle, has been instrumental in pushing democratic nations to hold Russia to account for political murder. His activism has prompted four countries — the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Estonia — to adopt “Magnitsky Acts.”
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Update:

Probably dies on the flight. Cleaner for Trump.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

The GOP budget will:

Maybe I'm miss understanding something, how do you cut 1.5 trillion from Medicare and Medicaid when we only spend around a trillion combined. I'm pretty sure we do atleast

Edit: okay i think i got it. The 1.5 trillion in spending cuts is over the life of the bill.
The 1.5 trillion deficit is because of the tax cut.

This by far the most important issue here. It's more important than the racism, sexism, abortion issues being discussed. This will drive down quality of life for this generation and for your children and grandchildren. They will continue to rob us until the cupboards bare and they'll move on to another country to parasitize while you're stuck with no food.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 658, 659, 660 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 659 of 3663
Jump to: