THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 698, 699, 700 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EldenCampbell
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

I'd be totally on board with removing Clarence Thomas from the Supreme Court (he should've never been confirmed in the first place) if I wasn't certain Trump would appoint someone even worse.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

From what I've heard, the guy he did appoint, Gorsuch, is not just very conservative, but also an (bleep) and the other justices don't like him at all.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

EldenCampbell wrote:
I'd be totally on board with removing Clarence Thomas from the Supreme Court (he should've never been confirmed in the first place) if I wasn't certain Trump would appoint someone even worse.

On what grounds would you impeach Thomas? Being a idiot is not grounds for impeachment.

I would call him a Uncle Tom but that would be disingenuous and degrade the character in the novel "Uncle Toms Cabin."

Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel character was more a hero than what many think.

Tom was beaten to death because he refused to reveal the whereabouts of two escaped slaves. He was a man of God.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Roger Stone and his allies have announced that Franken is the first of many Democrats that will be exposed for inappropriate behavior.

The purpose is to muddy the waters and for Trump to survive.

And the left is lining up to accomodate them...

Only if women of the left as a group (and I mean a large group including all sectors) are able to clearly have a ‘line’ that can differentiate between Franken and Moore... otherwise the right as Stone said will be successful at finding these ‘equivalencies’ and the left would have no choice but to succumb/rid of the perpetrating male because it’s the right thing to do (while the GOP candidates knows that sexual assault is not a deal breaker for the right)

It’s a dirty play but unfortunately we have to go thru it to advance this woman revolution, it’s time

Giving Franken a pass on this for the sake of our team and the "greater good" is precisely how we got this culture in the first place.

No one is giving Franken a pass, in case you hadn't noticed. And this is not how we got this culture in the first place, either. If there's a problem with sexual violence in this society, it's due to sexual repression, which is all these attacks on Franken serve to further.
We don't need to put scarlet letters on people who have been accused.
And where are all the other women coming forward to accuse Franken, btw?
And how come the woman accusing him has spent all that time at Fox News and ABC News and never been assaulted at either of those places? Only by one comedian turned politician who just happens to be on the side of the political spectrum she opposes?
No, I don't believe all women. I never believed Sarah Palin or Phyllis Schlafly.
I know that conservative members of Congress are trying to take away my social security and medicare, and that we need people like Franken fighting to make sure they don't succeed.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Roger Stone and his allies have announced that Franken is the first of many Democrats that will be exposed for inappropriate behavior.

Only if women of the left as a group (and I mean a large group including all sectors) are able to clearly have a ‘line’ that can differentiate between Franken and Moore... otherwise the right as Stone said will be successful at finding these ‘equivalencies’ and the left would have no choice but to succumb/rid of the perpetrating male because it’s the right thing to do (while the GOP candidates knows that sexual assault is not a deal breaker for the right)

It’s a dirty play but unfortunately we have to go thru it to advance this woman revolution, it’s time

Giving Franken a pass on this for the sake of our team and the "greater good" is precisely how we got this culture in the first place.

No one is giving Franken a pass, in case you hadn't noticed. And this is not how we got this culture in the first place, either. If there's a problem with sexual violence in this society, it's due to sexual repression, which is all these attacks on Franken serve to further.
And how come the woman accusing him has spent all that time at Fox News and ABC News and never been assaulted at either of those places? Only by one comedian turned politician who just happens to be on the side of the political spectrum she opposes?
No, I don't believe all women. I never believed Sarah Palin or Phyllis Schlafly.
I know that conservative members of Congress are trying to take away my social security and medicare, and that we need people like Franken fighting to make sure they don't succeed.

You're not giving him a pass, he just gets to continue on without repurcussion while you call the woman a liar. Got it.
EldenCampbell
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
On what grounds would you impeach Thomas? Being a idiot is not grounds for impeachment.

Just wishful thinking on my part that what he did to Anita Hill would have had some repercussions.

If Trump does get the opportunity to appoint another Supreme Court Justice, I hope it's to replace Thomas.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
JIFISH wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Wilt wrote:

You're not giving him a pass, he just gets to continue on without repurcussion while you call the woman a liar. Got it.

Hmmm.. I guess you take it more personal than the "victim"

IMHO in an incident such as this the repercussions are so far fairly obvious to me

Public shaming.. gee.. thats easy to overcome
Public apology
Gave employer full rights to investigate his life

I am BY FAR not one of those men that just takes this lightly...

Life has natural boundaries - verbal-physical- etc.. You do not break those boundaries

Disgusting looks
touching
rude talk
locker room talk
etc
all trash and need to removed from our boys and mens dna permanently

go to a sleezy strip club and pay a hooker if you don't know how to treat a woman.. don't mistreat them

I will bet you we find out this was prodded into play by a Brietbart fellow or similar person...
looking to put dirt on the media screen of our lives that isn't about
trump russia and kushner and his asia trip etc etc.

She is a Hannity Groupie.. hello? (she describes the dressing room different than he remembers it..
I am sorry but anyone who is friends with Sean Hannity is already suspect
to being dishonest in my book.. this would be like being friends with
Bill O'Reilly .. If I was either of their friends would you trust my word
at face value or wonder about my character to be hanging around people like that?)

Media never once got to talk about how Duerte and Trump are best buds

What about Trump saying him and Putin talked about the election tampering .. but Putin tweeted that they did not talk about it

wtf did they talk about
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

This is the grossest form of partisan hackery. Be better than this.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Again, I like to try and be fair to everyone, and to context. The picture? A good example of poor judgement but not exactly poor intent, since this is something that men will do to each other as well, without the intent of subjugation or power. It is something good buddies do to each other. A gotchya thing with the intent to amuse, not anger. Jvenile, yes. Indicative of a lack of sensitivities, yes. The entire tour they were on was rife with this, set up that way to be very blue and very suggestive. That doesnt mean anyone had the right to touch her or proposition her, but one can expect in an environment of both bawdiness and camaraderie, there might have been the idea that everyone was good with it, and that on And off stage might have blurred a bit. And thats on them. But a little public shaming and an apology and a lot of people talking about it and internalizing the need to be more careful and considerate themselves is exactly the result that should have happened.

Now the allegation of the forced kiss? That's very different if true. It's also another area where we need to be careful and weigh the evidence and give both parties some benefit while we do so. And as is almost always the case in these types of attacks, we look for corroboration of the behavior, which we would almost certainly get in the current environment.

Men who do what he is accused of don't tend to just do it once, or not have other telltale similar behaviors. And this is a guy who has worked with and around countless women over the years, and has a huge q rating. And there's not a single instance of anyone else saying anything but the exact opposite about him. He's known as a relentlessly nice guy, and a gentleman. His co-workers and subordinates tell stories of a guy who is exactly like the guy who is active one women's rights should be. That's shockingly rare in this kind of case.

That doesnt mean it is impossible to be true, it is just not shaping up like true cases tend to be, and it's not because of shaming the victim, far from it. She's been wildly encouraged, as have anyone else who wants to come forward. So a bit of suspicion is warranted, and while her political beliefs and affiliations (and the fact that a plot that would be a distraction from the tax bill, a whataboutism rebuttal to Roy Moore, and a smear of a powerful advocate against the administration and future seeker of higher office--with a lot of cross aisle pull And charisma--would look exactly like this) dont mean she's lying, nor does having multiple strong motives, they have some relevance in a non corroborated single situation. One can argue that it is both wrong to assume she's lying because she has potential motives, and equally wrong to discount motive and assume guilt on accusation.

Like I said, I've seen bith sides of this, with victims hushed and with people ruined on false accusations. This is a very ripe atmosphere for the latter right now as there is an absolute feeding frenzy for famous sexual assault and harassment accusation. And don't think the GOP doesn't for a minute understand that there's an urge by the left to take the moral high ground at any cost, including anyone in their ranks. And don't think that is somehow beyond their willingness to use.

Are they in this case? I honestly don't know. And I honestly don't know doesn't justify burning anyone at the stake.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject:

I think both Franken and Moore should step down. (and obviously the groper in chief as well).

I also think history will view Franken as martyr and Moore a pariah.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

You guys really believe politically, especially with the right already making any sexual assault/harassment NOT a deal breaker (even pedophilia), that the left can define this ‘line’ pertaining to degree of sexual assault/harassment? And still politically able to differ itself from the right and not just the ‘lite’ version of the right?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
You guys really believe politically, especially with the right already making any sexual assault/harassment NOT a deal breaker (even pedophilia), that the left can define this ‘line’ pertaining to degree of sexual assault/harassment? And still politically able to differ itself from the right and not just the ‘lite’ version of the right?

I agree it is tough, and I think it is also a trap. Nuance has always had a hard time against extremism, and thus the urge for opposing extremism.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Obviously not, since Moore and Franken are being compared everywhere (thank you mainstream media). What about-ism is the winning logical strategy at the moment. Sad!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Fwiw, nothing in what I said above should be construed as agreement with or encouragement of the sentiments expressed by CI.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
governator wrote:

Obviously not, since Moore and Franken are being compared everywhere (thank you mainstream media). What about-ism is the winning logical strategy at the moment. Sad!

It’s a dirty game the right is or has been playing for sure but no matter how unfair it is, the left has to set the example because the victims matter to the left. The right has been obliterating the victims, as far as using Christianity to justify pedophilia (it’s f Ing disgusting)

I think A Democrat already set the standard for the first time in the history of civilization

Why isn't that a big part of the focus on what makes the party different

Republicans protect them and hide and lie and say they didn't do it etc

Franken.... I think people don't talk about it because they don't have the moral courage he does. Talk about how a Democrat already set the standard
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Republicans are very good at dirty politics. It got them into the White House, don't be surprised if they're up to their old tricks again.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

You're right. I'm letting this bother me

I apologize for personalizing it

I just think people aren't thinking. They are reacting way toooo fast

Is he a child molester like Moore

So.. I say McConnell had better start an ethics inquiry into President Dump unless he is just a spineless partisan back

Sex creates a wicked hysteria in humans..

Remember Janets nipple.. I think some are reacting the same way here towards Franken
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

You're right. I'm letting this bother me

I apologize for personalizing it

I just think people aren't thinking. They are reacting way toooo fast

Is he a child molester like Moore

So.. I say McConnell had better start an ethics inquiry into President Dump unless he is just a spineless partisan back

Sex creates a wicked hysteria in humans..

Remember Janets nipple.. I think some are reacting the same way here towards Franken

Please stop. There are reasonable arguments to be made by reasonable people, and they can even reasonably disagree, but you're not helping that dialogue at all.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Republicans are very good at dirty politics. It got them into the White House, don't be surprised if they're up to their old tricks again.

We should make it a video game

All this (bleep) is happening at the same time and no republicans are actual patriots like they tell you to be

Quote:

RIVIERA BEACH —
Days before President Trump flies into town for Thanksgiving, one of the world’s most expensive yachts, owned by Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich, sailed into the Port of Palm Beach Friday afternoon.

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/new-russian-yacht-docks-port-will-putin-friend-pay-trump-visit/jHOu5zlKUqMa0lMLsqzz6L/
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Gee. thanks for not answering any of the questions I raised and for mischaracterizing my remarks.
I hope it makes you feel better.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:

This is one bizarre post on so many levels.

You start by saying "no one is giving Franken a pass", and then proceed to do exactly that.

While I may agree that our society leans towards sexual suppression in some senses, our society clearly encourages sexual oppression by the privileged and there is no connection between prudishness being a precursor to sexual assault and harassment.

You make this odd and flawed connection between sex and inappropriate sexual behavior as if they are one in the same. No one is "attacking" Franken, nor does expecting Franken and others to be held accountable for their behavior further sexual suppression as you claim.

Quote:

The scarlet letter was a mark of adultery. What Franken and others have engaged in is a whole different act and definitely deserves to be marked.

Quote:

Just because there hasn't been a landslide of women accusing Franken doesn't mean he didn't engage in what he's been accused of - and more importantly is photographed doing.

Quote:
And how come the woman accusing him has spent all that time at Fox News and ABC News and never been assaulted at either of those places?

Maybe because she wasn't?

Quote:
Only by one comedian turned politician who just happens to be on the side of the political spectrum she opposes?

There are certainly some circumstances that could lead one to some skepticism. But there is one glaring problem for Franken - the photograph.

Quote:

Which is why women hesitate to come forward.

Quote:

That's the kind of partisanship BS that leads to accusations of hypocrisy from the Left. We need to hold our elected leaders accountable for their behavior no matter which side of the fence they sit on. What you say right there is no different than the rhetoric from the Right.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:

I agree it is tough, and I think it is also a trap. Nuance has always had a hard time against extremism, and thus the urge for opposing extremism.

And that's the problem - excusing the very behavior one condemns.

There's "whataboutism" and then there's "yeahbutitsokism".

They are both the same thing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:

And that's the problem - excusing the very behavior one condemns.

There's "whataboutism" and then there's "yeahbutitsokism".

They are both the same thing.

I agree with your premise. But that's not what I'm espousing. I'm espousing proportionality. Justice has many forms, including punishment, but also forgiveness.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
there's enough evidence there that if we were the subject.. we'd be in jail. and most of these guys admitted it.

So I presume you think Trump should resign? The total so far is 9 and litigation is still ongoing.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject:

Actually 17. It's hard to bring up whataboutism in a situation where it actually fits because it has been overused. That's the problem with this administration.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 698, 699, 700 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next
Page 699 of 3670
Jump to: