THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 699, 700, 701 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
You guys really believe politically, especially with the right already making any sexual assault/harassment NOT a deal breaker (even pedophilia), that the left can define this ‘line’ pertaining to degree of sexual assault/harassment? And still politically able to differ itself from the right and not just the ‘lite’ version of the right?

I agree it is tough, and I think it is also a trap. Nuance has always had a hard time against extremism, and thus the urge for opposing extremism.

And that's the problem - excusing the very behavior one condemns.

There's "whataboutism" and then there's "yeahbutitsokism".

They are both the same thing.

I agree with your premise. But that's not what I'm espousing. I'm espousing proportionality. Justice has many forms, including punishment, but also forgiveness.

I think we’re all in the same position. outside of politics, we can differ these men’s behavior and like you said, the punishment can be and should be different too. Unfortunately that’s not gonna happened in politics, the line (if the left tries to draw it) will be blurred to begin with and non-existent by the time he right dissect it. It is unfair that Al Franken has to suffer Roy Moore’s ‘punishment’ but I think the bigger picture of what’s more important is this woman revolution/advancement. (I admit, in politics, the dirtier you play, they more you ‘win’... hopefully just in short term. The left has to stay committed to be the morally sound side)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

EldenCampbell wrote:
jodeke wrote:
On what grounds would you impeach Thomas? Being a idiot is not grounds for impeachment.

Just wishful thinking on my part that what he did to Anita Hill would have had some repercussions.

If Trump does get the opportunity to appoint another Supreme Court Justice, I hope it's to replace Thomas.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

On this day in 1863: Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg address.

On this day in 2017:

Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Now that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail, LaVar Ball, the father of LiAngelo, is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

On this day in 2017:

Quote:

Now that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail, LaVar Ball, the father of LiAngelo, is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!

I don't have all the facts but if its true LaVar isn't appreciative of Trumps help, I would call him ungrateful.

Outside of politics. If my son was facing those charges and Trump/Hillary helped I would atleast thank them
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

On this day in 2017:

Quote:

I don't have all the facts but if its true LaVar isn't appreciative of Trumps help, I would call him ungrateful.

Outside of politics. If my son were facing those charges and Trump/Hillary helped I would atleast thank them

Regardless of whether you think LaVar Ball was right or wrong, having the President of the United States whine like a petty 5-year who didn't get a cookie is EMBARRASSING. He's a small petty man who is supposed to be representing the best of America, not it's worst impulses.

He is the worst president of my lifetime.

Can't believe people actually defend this (bleep).
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

On this day in 2017:

Quote:

Outside of politics. If my son were facing those charges and Trump/Hillary helped I would atleast thank them

Regardless of whether you think LaVar Ball was right or wrong, having the President of the United States whine like a petty 5-year who didn't get a cookie is EMBARRASSING. He's a small petty man who is supposed to be representing the best of America, not it's worst impulses.

I mainly defend him because both parties think they're right and cant see what is wrong with there own party.

Republicans and their warpath. Democrats/trial lawyers and their destruction of patent laws and small business.

I mean Harry Reid was the biggest patent troll in the congress and ruined a lot of small business because of it but the democrats will defend him. I'm not a republican but i like to see both sides for what they are and the rhetoric on here is a lot to take sometimes when no one is defending the otherside
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

In a weird way, I feel sorry for Trump.
It's likely he didn't get much love as a child. (affluence aside)
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Adam Schiff‏Verified account @RepAdamSchiff

The President would have left American students in a foreign jail because their families didn’t lavish sufficient praise on him. How can someone in such a big office be so small?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

On this day in 2017:

Quote:

I mainly defend him because both parties think they're right and cant see what is wrong with there own party.

Republicans and their warpath. Democrats/trial lawyers and their destruction of patent laws and small business.

I mean Harry Reid was the biggest patent troll in the congress and ruined a lot of small business because of it but the democrats will defend him. I'm not a republican but i like to see both sides for what they are and the rhetoric on here is a lot to take sometimes when no one is defending the otherside

This isn’t not a republican/Democrat thing. If LaVar ball tweeted that... no big deal, he’s a private citizen who sounds like a fool. If the President of United States tweeted that... it is a big deal. President’s decision to get US citizens back should never hinge on getting praise/thank yous. But you wanna do a whatabout some democrat?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:

What does any of that have to do with Trump acting like an ass on Twitter by saying he should have left 3 American students in jail because he didn't get enough praise?

ZERO. That's how much.

LeVar Ball acted like an ass. Trump also acted like an ass.

See, how hard is that? No need to defend either one.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

Needless to say, can you picture Obama (or HRC) tweeting something like that? First of all, no. Second of all, if they did then Fox News/Breitbart/Right-Wing Media complex would have headlines for months!

As it is, the MSM might mention this in an offhand way over the next 24 hours, then POOF it will be gone, swallowed up by the next Trump brouhaha.

smh
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

What does any of that have to do with Trump acting like an ass on Twitter by saying he should have left 3 American students in jail because he didn't get enough praise?

ZERO. That's how much.

LeVar Ball acted like an ass. Trump also acted like an ass.

See, how hard is that? No need to defend either one.

Also, one is the father of a pro basketball player. The other is the President of the freaking United States. One would think the latter would have more responsibility and self control. I can’t see how anyone could possibly defend this petty petty man whose need of approval is nauseating and embarrassing
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

On this day in 2017:

Quote:

Outside of politics. If my son was facing those charges and Trump/Hillary helped I would atleast thank them

Did you read the "I should have left them in jail" part? His need to be praised and his anger at LaVar made him wish that his son would suffer in a Chinese jail. That is sick.

LaVar not thanking Trump is a totally separate issue and is between LaVar and Trump and has nothing to do with LaVar's son.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

Don’t forget, LiAngelo already made a public THANK YOU for president Trump, and Trump still tweet about leaving him in jail in China because another person (LaVar) didn’t thank Trump enough... still not crazy to you?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

How To Beat Racism

Fascinating read.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

New pictures came out from the Franken USO show, demonstrating a joking sexualized environment that both seemed to participate in.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Unless he said it again, LaVar said it was no big deal before Gump stepped in. He was wheeling his wife out of the hospital. The players had just been arrested.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
New pictures came out from the Franken USO show, demonstrating a joking sexualized environment that both seemed to participate in.

Enough for democrats to safely draw a line (with Moore)?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

On this day in 2017:

Quote:

One guy is a megalomaniac parent. The other is the FREAKING PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. The reason most of them age faster than anyone else is because they're held to the highest standards possible. They're supposed to represent the most powerful nation on earth.

There's a reason for countries now dealing more with governments on a state and city level. Federal is all but worthless.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Enough for democrats to safely draw a line (with Moore)?

There will never be an equalization unless she suddenly becomes n 8th grader.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
How To Beat Racism

Fascinating read.

Though it has some issues:

Quote:
There is a long-standing debate about whether racism is something natural or whether it is taught.

Most studies agree that racism is taught or culturally informed, the long-standing debate is over when exactly this transition occurred. Many argue it started with African slavery, or the conquest of the Americas.

Quote:
From this perspective, the real problem in America is not so much racism as it is race consciousness.

The latter of which breeds the former. Race consciousness is so prevalent in America partly because there is so much at stake. You can go all the way back to 1676 to see how wealthy white Virginians used whiteness to create a bond with poor white Virginians, thereby preventing them from forming an alliance with black slaves based on class similarities. Why did this work? Because poor whites in Virginia, despite being just as destitute as blacks, could be appeased by always having white "superiority" to fall back on.

But this has become a bigger issue in the last century, primarily because so much of our immigration and "melting pot" philosophy is based on becoming "Caucasian" in the eyes of the established population. This works if you're Irish, Italian, or Greek (ethnicities originally deemed as something other than white) because they're close enough phenotypically and culturally to the United States' original Anglo-Saxon/Scotch-Irish/German population to eventually gain full acceptance, especially when compared to Asians, Latinos, and Blacks.

It also works for them because, unlike Asians, Latinos, and Blacks, southern and eastern Europeans were never completely denied citizenship or banned from the country, and they were never "illegalized" to the same extent (see Chinese exclusion 1882, Immigration acts of 1924 & 1965).

Race consciousness will only go away when attaining "white" status stops being tied to full citizenship, government benefits, access to better opportunities, immunity to many forms of discrimination, and overall a better lifestyle in the United States. As it stands, the state is so informed by these implicit racial biases that it's truly no surprise that the average U.S. citizen structures many of their thoughts around the topic of race, to the detriment of us all.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

What is that he's holding?

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

What is that he's holding?

This one undermines her entire story in my mind. In other words, from my understanding, she had alleged that Franken wrote into their skit that they would have a kiss, and that she didn't want to go along with it, so when they were done with the tour, as a send off of sorts, that's when he forced the kiss on her. Here, she's kissing him as part of the skit or show, with her arm around him. It seems pretty consensual to me and would make it strange for him to want to force the same kiss he's receiving in public in private. Of course, this is the part of the claim Franken is disputing.

https://images.dailykos.com/images/473954/large/DO4CnPtVoAAcnna.jpg?1511018707

And this one doesn't help her credibility either. Just an example of the type of atmosphere that both consensually seemed to participate in.

https://images.dailykos.com/images/473953/large/DO6nCf-UIAEiiYS.jpg-large.jpeg?1511018370

I'm all for believing a woman when there are allegations of sexual harassment or assault. The years of denying such at the expense for these victims requires that we give more of a benefit of the doubt to the accusers than we might otherwise if all things were equal. However, it doesn't help when you don't tell the entire story, which she hasn't based on these pictures.

tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

That hug that she did with Robin Williams was pretty risqué. Not sure what I was make or it, tbh.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

^That was Al Franken, not Robin Williams. Its the same kiss she said before she didn't want to do.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 699, 700, 701 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 700 of 3671
Jump to: