THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 771, 772, 773 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
And a recession is not out of the question. In fact, I was listening to NPR the other day and they were saying that there were some signs of an upcoming recession in the not so distant future. We'll see.

If say Russia and China tried to destroy America via an economic war could it be done?

Are we weaker because of our insane debt?

How bad could OPEC hurt us if they did create their own Petrodollar

I think Trump is going to do a ton of damage to our international namesake nothing money can repair

Jerusalem lame idea only done to make an important group feel more important. While intentionally being unkind to another and as proof of the hatred for other group..cut their international funding we provide to them and continue it for the aggressor
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Washington Post: Comparing the ‘Trump economy’ to the ‘Obama economy

Quote:
The Trump administration likes to brag about the economy. A lot. During a Fox News interview with Laura Ingraham on Nov. 2, Trump boasted about the economic gains during his first year in office, calling it “one of the greatest [economic revivals] in the history of our country.” He added: “I’m not getting enough credit for it.”

Quote:
Regular readers of The Fact Checker know we automatically award Two Pinocchios to anyone (editorials included) who gives sole credit to a president for economic improvements. That’s because the U.S. economy is complex, and the decisions of companies and consumers often loom larger than the acts of government.

Moreover, it usually takes time and effort for presidential policies to work their way through the country. One year into the presidency, we are probably still feeling the effects of policies laid out by the previous administration. But Sanders asserts Barack Obama “now wants credit for the booming Trump economy,” arguing that the “economy is better under President Trump.”

Sanders’s comments veer in the direction of opinion, but it is worth asking: Has Trump singlehandedly hastened an “economic revival” in the United States? Or does Trump’s so-called “booming economy” have roots in the Obama era? Let’s take a look.

Quote:
The stock market

Just one month into taking office, Trump bragged about the stock market. During a news conference on Feb. 2, he claimed, “the stock market has hit record numbers.” We’ve pointed out before that this talking point is a flip-flop for Trump, who dismissed stock-market performance under Obama as a “big, fat bubble” ready to pop. (The U.S. stock market had been rising steadily since March 2009, shortly after Obama took office.)

Trump routinely cites numbers from the Dow Jones industrial average, a collection of 30 U.S. “blue-chip” companies. Much of the recent rise in the Dow can be attributed to a single company: Boeing. Over the course of the year, Boeing’s stock is up 82 percent.

Quote:
But when looking at a broader index, Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index, it’s clear U.S. stocks haven’t rallied as robustly as their foreign equivalents. Trump’s been touting the stock market growth since February, but in November the S&P still lagged behind Japan, Germany and the United Kingdom.

Quote:
GDP Growth
Another one of Trump’s frequent economic boasts is about Gross Domestic Product growth. GDP is the broadest measure of an economy. With each quarterly estimate Trump brags the GDP has grown at never before seen rates.

“We were at 3.2 last quarter, but we were at 3. And to be at 3 with a 1 point, that would have meant we would have hit 4 or thereabouts. And those are numbers that have not been seen for many years,” he said on Oct. 31 after the release of second quarter numbers.

Never mind that most economists think 4 percent growth is unlikely in a developed economy — or that quarterly GDP growth has often topped 3 percent during Obama’s presidency.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject:

CBS: Vast number of Americans live paycheck to paycheck

Quote:
With unemployment in the U.S. at its lowest level in 16 years, experts are prone to talk about the economy as if it has fully recovered from the housing crash. But other measures of how Americans are doing reveal a darker picture.

Almost 8 out of 10 American workers say they live paycheck to paycheck to make ends meet, according to a new survey from CareerBuilder. That can force people to take on debt or otherwise struggle when an unexpected bill arises. It also raises questions about the stability of the broader economy given that consumer spending accounts for more than two-thirds of activity.

The survey highlights a troubling trend in household finances: More than eight years since the end of the recession, the share of Americans who are living on the financial edge is growing, said Mike Erwin, a spokesman for CareerBuilder. While some may want to blame Americans' spendthrift ways, Erwin pointed to two trends that continue to put financial stress on households: stagnant wages and the rising cost of everything from education to many consumer goods.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
And a recession is not out of the question. In fact, I was listening to NPR the other day and they were saying that there were some signs of an upcoming recession in the not so distant future. We'll see.

By the end of Trump's term, the markets will be less regulated than they were with Bush Jr. just before the crash.
Barack bailed out the banks. But then pushed (with a Dem Congress) for more regulations to prevent another financial crisis. And it's been Trump's personal agenda to undo everything Obama. And Ryan and McConnell are on board.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

Unless you don't have a 401k, IRA or any investments whatsoever, it is benefiting me and you. This administration's tax policy and stance on deregulation are directly responsible for the incredible growth in the stock market since the election. It's been rising after the bottom in 2007, but not to this extent.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/economists-credit-trump-as-tailwind-for-u-s-growth-hiring-and-stocks-1515682893

It won't end well, but that's besides the point.

And I'll ask you, what policies have Trump and the Republicans passed that have caused this? You can't be saying that the market rising is simply a reflection of investors believing in Trump?

Regardless, let's say that the stock market is all due to Trump (though I heard often enough in the past when I would mention just how much the stock market rose during Obama's eight, that he can't take the credit), just how much will the bottom four quintiles see? What five, maybe ten percent of the gain?

Everything going on nowadays, such as this new tax policy (maybe, possibly, just coming into effect so let's not credit it for anything) seems to benefit the investment class; the aristocracy with inheritance; and the wealthy: with the more the wealth, the more the benefit. This is not a healthy environment for democracy or the American way of life.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:
I was talking about tax cuts, not the stock market.

They're one and the same.

They're not one and the same. The tax cut I will get will mean little to me if I have to pay more in healthcare and if all this deregulation poisons and endangers me and millions of other people. You sound like a Republican, dude.

Bingo. One example of the asinine asinine trickle down lie that people on the Right either foolishly buy into or evilly pedal.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:
I was talking about tax cuts, not the stock market.

They're one and the same.

They're not one and the same. The tax cut I will get will mean little to me if I have to pay more in healthcare and if all this deregulation poisons and endangers me and millions of other people. You sound like a Republican, dude.

I sound like I've seen my 401k soar this year. Retirement is non-partisan goal last time I checked. It's OK to be happy about one thing and still be pissed at others. Yes, healthcare is a major problem. I've railed about it in this thread consistently, especially how we can't seem to pass any sort of prescription drug reform even though there seems to be consensus across the aisle up until the time votes are cast.

One would hope. But one party is targeting people's retirement to destroy it and the other is not.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

By the end of Trump's term, the markets will be less regulated than they were with Bush Jr. just before the crash.
Barack bailed out the banks. But then pushed (with a Dem Congress) for more regulations to prevent another financial crisis. And it's been Trump's personal agenda to undo everything Obama. And Ryan and McConnell are on board.

But the immediate gratification crowd pockets a couple hundred extra bucks now, so it's all good. Who cares if the economy falls off a cliff again, and the air isn't fit to breathe, and you can't drink the water, and you have to pass by more homeless down by the 7/11, and what's a few more floods from climate change and a few more earthquakes from fraking, and a little more mercury in the water to (bleep) childhood brain activity. At least well off white males got their tax break and won't have to rub shoulders with as many brown people, right?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Barack Obama (as with every president who goes full term) is responsible for four budgets per term: 09-12 and 13-17. The 2017 fiscal year that began on October 1, 2016, ended on September 30, 2017, so Trump (though he has not passed a budget), is just barely into his first fiscal year, beginning on October 1 of last year.

Everything up to then, with the possible exception of the stock market, really, is either Obama's credit or is his fault.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

But the immediate gratification crowd pockets a couple hundred extra bucks now, so it's all good. Who cares if the economy falls off a cliff again, and the air isn't fit to breathe, and you can't drink the water, and you have to pass by more homeless down by the 7/11, and what's a few more floods from climate change and a few more earthquakes from fraking, and a little more mercury in the water to (bleep) childhood brain activity. At least well off white males got their tax break and won't have to rub shoulders with as many brown people, right?

It is time to revisit how this all started, this trickle down mania. There are two real strategies to this: the two-Santa theory and starve the beast strategy. Both are working well, and have been on (with Republican administrations) and off (with Democratic administrations), towards their ultimate goals.

The two-Santa theory was Jude Wanniski's editorial on how Republicans could counter the "gifts" from liberals related to social programs, with a gift of their own: tax cuts. I mean, who doesn't want a tax cut?

The starve the beast strategy extended this concept by not paying as you go, by not offsetting any revenue loss due to tax cuts, with cuts in spending. So, the debt will increase and increase and increase, just as it has with all Republican administrations since St. Reagan, until Democrats will be forced to cut their programs.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

That's the heart of it right there. After having an "uppity black dude" in the White House, there's a blatant need by far too many people to set things back and put minorities back where they belong. If they can line their pockets in the process, all the better.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

We get it. Your bank account is good. No worries for you. Some of us have kids to whom we would like to leave a decent country and planet to.

I have a kid also.

I just think you are being a bit overly dramatic.

Also, I save for my retirement because I don't look for the government to solve all my problems...despite the fact that I have paid in to social security for three decades.

If you want to count on the government to take care of you (and your children's decent country and planet) and take no personal responsibility? Than that's on you Boss....
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Not to mention, who benefits when the economy recovers after the next Trump crash?
The people with enough info to get out before the crash or the people with enough money to buy when stocks are underpriced. A.k.a. the top .1%.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

If we ignore politics, tribalism, scandals, etc., the reason I'm a progressive -
though I think "social democrat" is a better description - is because I care about us and not just me. And the "us" includes people that don't belong to my "tribe." So if I happen to do well financially during Trump's term but he and his ilk happen to dismantle the social safety net, our image around the world, our political institutions, our press, and many other things reasonable people care about, then my 401k or my other investments or the few hundred extra dollars I'll get this year on my paycheck means nothing to me. The Republican political machine wants us to ignore all that ugly stuff because some of us can now afford a new refrigerator or a lawn mower as a way to normalize that authoritarianism. We can't allow that to happen.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

We get it. Your bank account is good. No worries for you. Some of us have kids to whom we would like to leave a decent country and planet to.

I have a kid also.

Also, I save for my retirement because I don't look for the government to solve all my problems...despite the fact that I have paid in to social security for three decades.

If you want to count on the government to take care of you (and your children's decent country and planet) and take no personal responsibility? Than that's on you Boss....

I don't expect the government to take of me, or my children. And it's laughable that you'd assume otherwise from my comments. I do however believe that the government shouldn't actively look to damage the planet and dismantle important things like education and infrastructure. Nor am I going to say "all is well" because my finances are doing well. That's not looking to being "taken care of". That's being a responsible and compassionate human being who wants to leave the world a better place than it was when I came into it. That's something I try to pass on two my kids. Not, "we're doing fine guys. No need to worry about everyone else". I actively give my time and money to environmental and educational causes in order to do my part. Which is why I'm not going to sit back and ignore when my elected officials run counter to that. Unlike some people whose barometer of how things are going is their bank account . . . boss.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
If we ignore politics, tribalism, scandals, etc., the reason I'm a progressive -
though I think "social democrat" is a better description - is because I care about us and not just me. And the "us" includes people that don't belong to my "tribe." So if I happen to do well financially during Trump's term but he and his ilk happen to dismantle the social safety net, our image around the world, our political institutions, our press, and many other things reasonable people care about, then my 401k or my other investments or the few hundred extra dollars I'll get this year on my paycheck means nothing to me. The Republican political machine wants us to ignore all that ugly stuff because some of us can now afford a new refrigerator or a lawn mower as a way to normalize that authoritarianism. We can't allow that to happen.

That's the thing. My family actually benefits from this recent tax plan. Yet I am still against it because of the bigger ramifications of it. The world is bigger than my bank account, and it's important that some of us realize that, because there are clearly some who don't.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/369952-new-trump-ad-calls-democrats-complicit-in-all-murders-by-illegal

Quote:
The Trump campaign released a new ad spot on Saturday calling Democrats "complicit" in all murders by immigrants in the country illegally, following the opposition of Democratic senators to a short-term spending bill, which resulted in a federal government shutdown on Friday.

"President Trump is right — build the wall, deport criminals, stop illegal immigration now," the ad says, showing clips of Democratic Minority Leaders Sen. Chuck Schumer (N.Y.) and Rep. Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) "Democrats who stand in our way will be complicit in every murder committed by illegal immigrants."

I guess this is one of those "gaffes." But hey, my retirement looks great.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I do however believe that the government shouldn't actively look to damage the planet and dismantle important things like education and infrastructure. Nor am I going to say "all is well" because my finances are doing well.

So did I say any of those things?

You are projecting, read what I said above and then show me where I said I agree with damaging the plant and dismantling education and infrastructure.

My finances are doing well because I work hard and try and improve my situation. The President (whoever it is) has little to do with that side, but certainly I don't mind seeing the stock market going up and the economy looking solid. That is because I root for the US and the people in it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/369952-new-trump-ad-calls-democrats-complicit-in-all-murders-by-illegal

Quote:
The Trump campaign released a new ad spot on Saturday calling Democrats "complicit" in all murders by immigrants in the country illegally, following the opposition of Democratic senators to a short-term spending bill, which resulted in a federal government shutdown on Friday.

"President Trump is right — build the wall, deport criminals, stop illegal immigration now," the ad says, showing clips of Democratic Minority Leaders Sen. Chuck Schumer (N.Y.) and Rep. Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) "Democrats who stand in our way will be complicit in every murder committed by illegal immigrants."

So then he should be complicit in every gun death since the NRA was the biggest backer of his campaign. And since most "terrorist" murders in U.S. have been committed by right-wing white nationalists (who he says are fine people), then he's complicit in all those murders too, right?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

The starve the beast strategy extended this concept by not paying as you go, by not offsetting any revenue loss due to tax cuts, with cuts in spending. So, the debt will increase and increase and increase, just as it has with all Republican administrations since St. Reagan, until Democrats will be forced to cut their programs.

Kamikaze politics. To too many it's just numbers and figures. What gets lost is that people's lives are forever changed.
The middle class is ever-shrinking. And that's not helpful for a consumer economy. Either increase benefits. Or increase wages according to inflation. Or better yet... crazy thought.... do both!
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I have a kid also.

I have to hit on these bolded points.

not just for you for anyone who thinks like this on either side of the aisle or economic situation.

#1 if i pay taxes or pay into SS I'm automatically being a responsible adult and citizen. If i so well choose to have the government look over my funds and use their personnel to put together a retirement system on my behalf. So be it. I paid for it as a responsible person my entire working life.

There is ZERO difference between a person paying into a 401k plan and allowing their plan to be administered by someone or some corporation vs someone paying into the country via taxes and allowing the government to setup their retirement. There is no difference as far as being a responsible adult is concerned. the day that everyone gets that point the better we will all be.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Quote:

Willie Horton 2.0

!...
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

[News]FAKING NEWS ALERT!![/News]
http://www.newsweek.com/deutsche-bank-willing-report-jared-kushners-suspicious-transactions-robert-786011

Quote:

The board chairman of the banking giant Deutsche Bank, Paul Achleitner,
called for an internal investigation and found troubling results,
German business magazine Manager Magazin reported
in its print edition released on Friday.

---------------
Quote:
“Achleitner’s internal detectives were embarrassed to deliver
their interim report regarding real estate tycoon Kushner
to the financial regulator BaFin,” states the Manager Magazin
story translated from German to English.
Their finding: There are indications that
Donald Trump’s son-in-law or persons
or companies close to him could have
channeled suspicious monies through
Deutsche Bank as part of their business dealings.”
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Quote:

Willie Horton 2.0

ref
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Horton

http://www.theleftcoaster.com/archives/020879.php
Quote:

ref
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Horton

Here Comes Willie Horton 2.0
Wednesday :: Aug 17, 2016
by Deacon Blues

In the last several days, Trump has brought aboard Roger Ailes
as an unacknowledged senior advisor, and just this morning
he’s also shaken up his senior campaign team to enable the
continuation of a combative approach rather than an integrated approach
with the national party. Therefore, no one should be surprised that
Trump went into a largely-white, remote suburb
of Milwaukee last night to give a
“law and order” speech
blaming Hillary Clinton for cops killing African Americans.

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject:

Duckworth giving trump both barrels and there's no way he can shoot back

This is how the dems should be.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 771, 772, 773 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 772 of 3671
Jump to: