THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 795, 796, 797 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Btw, there is a serious, fatal flaw in your “Linda is an anti Semite” attack. I leave it to you to figure out what that might be.

Maybe that it isn't an attack in the first place? Do you know what sarcasm is, genius?

Man, for a guy who could so clearly do better, you sure do insist on being a disingenuous (bleep).
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Please just move on all... this is going no where. Hit the re-set button.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Reset button hit. Sorry LS.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
People, People, let's play nice.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I have my opinions, but to moderate this thread, I have to push them aside, so I'll just say this...

We can facilitate constructive dialogue or attack each other... the two are usually mutually exclusive. I think at some point in a back and forth like this, or any of the conversations which takes place in this thread, the question arises which asks whether you want to be part of the problem or part of the solution. Without taking any side or signaling out any one person, I would ask everyone in this thread to always do their best to check their emotions and decide which they want to be. That goes for this page, this conversation or any other.

Not talking about you LS, but the frustrating thing is when mods with the power here are the ones slinging obscenities. Who moderates that?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I have my opinions, but to moderate this thread, I have to push them aside, so I'll just say this...

We can facilitate constructive dialogue or attack each other... the two are usually mutually exclusive. I think at some point in a back and forth like this, or any of the conversations which takes place in this thread, the question arises which asks whether you want to be part of the problem or part of the solution. Without taking any side or signaling out any one person, I would ask everyone in this thread to always do their best to check their emotions and decide which they want to be. That goes for this page, this conversation or any other.

Not talking about you LS, but the frustrating thing is when mods with the power here are the ones slinging obscenities. Who moderates that?

I don't know about anyone using obscenities, but that's not something I want to debate. To get to the heart of your question. I do my best to moderate this thread, which often means withholding a lot of opinions I do have about certain posters' responses or opinions. I do this so Omar and CL, and other mods if need be, can have some freedom to post here without having to wear their "mod" hats.

However, sometimes I'm not here and they do need to step in. I'm thankful when they do because they have saved this thread on their own on more than one occasion. However, yes, I try to reign things in where I see things going out of control regardless of who is involved or my own opinions on things, just as I have in this instance. Hope everyone can respect that.

Finally, I hope everyone also acknowledges that, ultimately, the consequences of consistently violating the rules of this thread does not simply result in warnings or suspensions as such violations may in other areas of this site or in other threads. The consequence of such behavior is the cessation of this thread itself. That's the last thing I want and why it is so important we don't rely on me or any other mod to regulate this thread, but we regulate ourselves as a united goal to keep this thread open. We've managed so far, so hope we can.

***I locked this thread and deleted some posts following my initial message. Again, let's please press the re-set button and move on to talking about actual issues, not each other***

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost

Last edited by LakerSanity on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I don't know about anyone using obscenities, but that's not something I want to debate. To get to the heart of your question. I do my best to moderate this thread, which often means withholding a lot of opinions I do have about certain posters' responses or opinions. I do this so Omar and CL, and other mods if need be, can have some freedom to post here.

However, sometimes I'm not here and they do need to step in. I'm thankful when they do because they have saved this thread on their own on more than one occasion. However, yes, I try to reign things in where I see them going out of control regardless of who is involved or my own opinions on things, just as I have in this instance. Hope everyone can respect that.

Finally, I hope everyone also acknowledges that, ultimately, the consequences of consistently violating the rules of this thread does not simply result in warnings or suspensions as such violations may in other areas of this site or in other threads. The consequence of such behavior is the cessation of this thread itself. That's the last thing I want and why it is so important we don't rely on me or any other mod to regulate this thread, but we regulate ourselves as a united goal to keep this thread open. We've managed so far, so hope we can.

***I locked this thread and deleted some posts following my initial message. Again, let's please press the re-set button and move on to talking about actual issues, not each other***

Thanks for the answer LS.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
ONCE AGAIN - you are CLEARLY confused. I see how you put Hispanic with Dominican, Puerto Rican, Colombians... Hispanic is NOT a race and it is also NOT a nationality. Hispanics can be WHITE, BLACK, Indigenous, Asians, or some combo thereof. Hispanics can ALSO be Cuban, Puerto Rican, Colombian, etc.

I think "ethnicity" is the missing word here.

I didn't say anything wrong. hoopschick seems to be angry that I said the terrorist was Hispanic.

Then again, you could have said he was a Hispanic, White Supremacist Trump supporter

FIFY
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Yes, important to point out that the shooter identified as, associated with, and was trained by white supremacists.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Yes, important to point out that the shooter identified as, associated with, and was trained by white supremacists.

Is an elected leader responsible for his/her supporters’ actions? There was no discrimation on race or ethnic lines in that sicko’s rampage. Only death.

Referring to a Dave Chapelle skit, would it have made a difference if the shooter was a white supremacist Asian or Indian? The attention should be pointed completely at the lack of action from the FBI, who were already informed about that guy. Over the years it seems like they’ve been missing more and more tips that could have saved many lives.

For those who are hardcore about more gun control, here is what Obama did for guns:

Quote:
During his first term Obama didn't call for any major new restriction on guns or gun owners. Instead he urged authorities to enforce the state and federal laws already on the books. In fact, Obama signed only two major laws that address how guns are carried in America, and both actually expand the rights of gun owners.

Another gun law signed by Obama allows Amtrak passengers to carry guns in checked baggage, a move that reversed a measure put in place after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Obama often mentions the expansion of gun rights under those two laws. He wrote in 2011:

"In this country, we have a strong tradition of gun ownership that's handed from generation to generation. Hunting and shooting are part of our national heritage. And, in fact, my administration has not curtailed the rights of gun owners - it has expanded them, including allowing people to carry their guns in national parks and wildlife refuges."

Obama has repeatedly express support for the Second Amendment. "If you’ve got a rifle, you’ve got a shotgun, you’ve got a gun in your house, I’m not taking it away. Alright?" Obama has said.

https://www.thoughtco.com/obama-gun-laws-passed-by-congress-3367595

While Obama was a nice orator, history is the best track record. If there is going to be any chance at REAL gun law reform, it’s more likely that Trump can get it done.

Last edited by Ujah's Goat on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject:

Trump vs Obama in Ethiopia:

Obama called Ethiopian leaders “democratically elected”:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/27/obama-urges-ethiopia-end-crackdown-political-press-freedom

Compare that with what just happened in recent weeks:
https://www.nazret.com/2018/02/13/washington-puts-ethiopias-human-rights-abusers-on-notice/

Senator Coffman:

Quote:
For too long the United States has looked the other way on the human rights abuses of Ethiopia in favor of their security cooperation while Ethiopia is terrorizing its own people; and it is time the United States acknowledges the problems of Ethiopia to respect human rights and become a pluralistic democracy.

Senator Smith:

Quote:
We want the people of Ethiopia to enjoy human rights they are guaranteed, universally recognized human rights. People are being tortured. Journalists are being mistreated. All of that is unacceptable.

Just a few days later (2 days ago), the current prime minister stepped down:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/ethiopias-prime-minister-resigns-amid-political-turmoil/2018/02/15/ad3fc10a-1246-11e8-9570-29c9830535e5_story.html?utm_term=.48a9401170a1

Thanks Trump!!
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:

For those who are hardcore about more gun control, here is what Obama did for guns:

Quote:
During his first term Obama didn't call for any major new restriction on guns or gun owners. Instead he urged authorities to enforce the state and federal laws already on the books. In fact, Obama signed only two major laws that address how guns are carried in America, and both actually expand the rights of gun owners.

Another gun law signed by Obama allows Amtrak passengers to carry guns in checked baggage, a move that reversed a measure put in place after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Obama often mentions the expansion of gun rights under those two laws. He wrote in 2011:

"In this country, we have a strong tradition of gun ownership that's handed from generation to generation. Hunting and shooting are part of our national heritage. And, in fact, my administration has not curtailed the rights of gun owners - it has expanded them, including allowing people to carry their guns in national parks and wildlife refuges."

Obama has repeatedly express support for the Second Amendment. "If you’ve got a rifle, you’ve got a shotgun, you’ve got a gun in your house, I’m not taking it away. Alright?" Obama has said.

https://www.thoughtco.com/obama-gun-laws-passed-by-congress-3367595

While Obama was a nice orator, history is the best track record. If there is going to be any chance at REAL gun law reform, it’s more likely that Trump can get it done.

Yet in the same article, they note the real reality of how gun zealots viewed Obama:

Quote:
The National Rifle Association once claimed Obama's "obsession with gun control knows no boundaries."

Again, to say that Obama did nothing is specious. Obama and the Democrats had a filibuster/cloture proof majority for approximately four months--during which health care reform (a measure long desired by progressives since Teddy Roosevelt) (and they actually knew how difficult such reform was) was passed. As can be seen by how ineffective the Republicans have been, even with total control of the Executive and Legislative branches, major changes in our laws are rather difficult. Reform is near impossible when the opposing party to such reform has control of Congress.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:

Thanks Trump!!

Do you realize that, with fewer members, there were more than twice as many Democrats as Republicans who co-sponsored this bill?

Thanks Democrats!!
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:

Thanks Trump!!

Do you realize that, with fewer members, there were more than twice as many Democrats as Republicans who co-sponsored this bill?

Thanks Democrats!!

Would have never been passed under Obama admin who continued to declare Ethiopia was a good example for democracy in Africa, going as far as to claim that Ethiopia had democratically elected leaders shortly after the ruling party won 100% of seats in parliament - FACTS !!!

Then again, Al-Amoudi, the richest man in Ethiopia, individually gave millions to the Clinton Foundation. Sounds like quid pro quo to me:

Quote:
A top Clinton Foundation official expressed reservations about former President Bill Clinton contacting a Saudi Arabian and Ethiopian billionaire to thank him for offering a plane ride to Ethiopia — unless it would mean a seven-figure donation.

According to a briefing memo contained in an email chain released by WikiLeaks, Sheikh Mohammed Hussein Al-Amoudi of Midroc had pledged to donate $20 million over 10 years to the Clinton Health Access Initiative. But an economic downturn caused the sheikh to delay payments. The health program did not receive payments in 2010 or 2011.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lifezette.com/polizette/wikileaks-sheikh-offered-bill-2-million-per-trip-ethiopia/amp/

Here is an article outlining Trump’s record in Africa during his first year. It’s insightful:

http://almariam.com/2017/12/29/kudos-trumps-first-year-human-rights-record-in-africa/
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

All I’m gonna say is that the Democratic Party is laughably corrupt. There is SO MUCH real proof of this by doing a simple google search. What makes them particularly malicious from my point of view is that they use a platform of “human rights” as a vehicle to aggressively push their agenda forward. They are out of touch with what people want, and their pre-elected candidate was beaten outright in the travesty that was the Democratic campaign for President.

They need to get rid of their old guard and empower some of their younger party members to have a stronger voice. At a simple glance, the Republican Party is younger, hungrier, more diverse, and better organized than the Dems.

Democrats sure do seem to have an awesome online presence though !! Lots of people on Twitter and Facebook. I hope they all vote next time around.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
To those who have been wondering how “collusion” might be charged, the Special Counsel has now given us a good indication:

https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/status/964920178327871488
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:

Thanks Trump!!

Thanks Democrats!!

Would have never been passed under Obama admin who continued to declare Ethiopia was a good example for democracy in Africa, going as far as to claim that Ethiopia had democratically elected leaders shortly after the ruling party won 100% of seats in parliament - FACTS !!!

Then again, Al-Amoudi, the richest man in Ethiopia, individually gave millions to the Clinton Foundation. Sounds like quid pro quo to me:

Quote:
A top Clinton Foundation official expressed reservations about former President Bill Clinton contacting a Saudi Arabian and Ethiopian billionaire to thank him for offering a plane ride to Ethiopia — unless it would mean a seven-figure donation.

According to a briefing memo contained in an email chain released by WikiLeaks, Sheikh Mohammed Hussein Al-Amoudi of Midroc had pledged to donate $20 million over 10 years to the Clinton Health Access Initiative. But an economic downturn caused the sheikh to delay payments. The health program did not receive payments in 2010 or 2011.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lifezette.com/polizette/wikileaks-sheikh-offered-bill-2-million-per-trip-ethiopia/amp/

Here is an article outlining Trump’s record in Africa during his first year. It’s insightful:

http://almariam.com/2017/12/29/kudos-trumps-first-year-human-rights-record-in-africa/

Claiming that Ethiopia was a true democracy was not Obama's best moment, but this was three years ago. It is hard to imagine that Obama, today, with what has developed since, would be as supportive.

Still (playing your silly game) . . .

. . . thanks Democrats for all the support for the bill!!!

(Oh, and why is nearly every discussion with a conservative, regardless the subject, end up with a Clinton--and why are so many aligned with the pathologically corrupt enemy of the US--and particular Hillary--Vladimir Putin?)
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
the Republican Party is younger, hungrier, more diverse

Quote:
While 37% of Democrats in the House and Senate are non-white, that number falls to under 5% for the GOP. And while the Democratic Party continues to broadening its tent even further, all of the GOP’s freshman Congressmen this year are white.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-republican-partys-glaring-diversity-problem_us_5a3bbe62e4b06cd2bd03d86e

What world do you live in? And what substances do I need to take to go there with you (besides Fox News propaganda).
What upsets me is. You're smart enough to know you're lying.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
All I’m gonna say is that the Democratic Party is laughably corrupt. There is SO MUCH real proof of this by doing a simple google search. What makes them particularly malicious from my point of view is that they use a platform of “human rights” as a vehicle to aggressively push their agenda forward. They are out of touch with what people want, and their pre-elected candidate was beaten outright in the travesty that was the Democratic campaign for President.

They need to get rid of their old guard and empower some of their younger party members to have a stronger voice. At a simple glance, the Republican Party is younger, hungrier, more diverse, and better organized than the Dems.

Democrats sure do seem to have an awesome online presence though !! Lots of people on Twitter and Facebook. I hope they all vote next time around.

I think we have a dramatic difference which party is the most corrupt, though, both are. The Dems are not out of touch. They just don't lie to the people telling them that all these jobs will miraculously reappear, with the magic of voodoo economics. Oh, and Democrats have won the popular vote in four of the last five elections. You might want to get off your high-horse on this one.

The Republican Party--a bunch of old white dudes--as am I by the way--is more diverse?????? If nothing else, there is hope for you as a comedian.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Our ruling

In a tweet, American Progress said, "Trump's Cabinet is more white and more male than any first Cabinet since President Ronald Reagan’s."

That claim is based on a credible New York Times analysis that found that Trump’s first cabinet had a smaller percentage of women and nonwhites combined than any president since Reagan. When you look at each demographic separately, however, George H.W. Bush has the most male cabinet.

With that in mind, we rate this claim Mostly True.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/apr/26/center-american-progress/true-trumps-cabinet-more-white-and-more-male-any-f/

Quote:
Trump Cabinet's net worth greater than the world's 70 smallest countries

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/311323-trumps-cabinet-has-a-net-worth-greater-than-the-worlds-70

God, the Republicans are soooo diverse!

Last edited by kikanga on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

So much diversity. White billionaires. White multi-millionaires. And white millionaires. Definitely representative of the general population.
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-12/21/CnybnyE005035_20171220_NYMFN0A001_11n.jpg

Last edited by kikanga on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

Go ahead and laugh but I’ll stand by what I said, thank you very much. Among senior staff of elected officials (governors, senators) there is more diversity within the Republican Party.

Quote:
Of 336 top personal staffers for the Senate’s 100 members, including chiefs of staff or legislative directors, only three were black in 2015, the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies’ racial diversity study reported. (Note: The initial version of this story incorrectly put the number at five.)

Today, five of those top staffers are black: One works for a Democrat and the other four work for Republicans.

For a Democratic Party that prides itself on embracing diversity, Scott said, the lack of it among Democrat staffers on Capitol Hill doesn’t make much sense.

“We are oftentimes maligned as the party that doesn’t open the door of opportunities,” Scott said of Republicans, “whereas the other side of the aisle is celebrated for being the party of opportunity, when in fact there may be room for improvement in their staff numbers.”

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., decided to introduce diversity rules this month for Democrats “under pressure from party members and some of their own employees,” The Washington Post reported.

Democrats’ Senate offices “are now formally encouraged to consider at least one minority candidate when interviewing for an open position,” Roll Call reported.

The new rules, The Washington Post reported, model the so-called Rooney rule, which it described as “an NFL policy that requires teams to interview minorities for any head coaching or senior football operations positions.”

Scott said building a more diverse staff isn’t about gaining the spotlight, but bringing in qualified individuals to serve the public.

“We’re not looking for media attention,” Scott said. “We just keep hiring more people who happen to be more diverse. And my friends on the left, I would hope that they find qualified, competent candidates who happen to be candidates of color.”

https://www.google.com/amp/dailysignal.com/2017/03/29/this-senator-is-1-of-only-5-with-a-top-staffer-who-isnt-white/amp/

This is an excellent piece which dissects the diversity lies propogated by the Democratic Party titled “Senate Republicans continue to blow away their Democratic counterparts with hirings of new black staff members”:

Quote:
Most senate staffs have four senior staff positions. A few have three. The positions are: chief of staff, deputy chief of staff, communications director and legislative director.

With the hire of Brennen Britton, that means the only two African-American chiefs of staff in the entire Senate work for Republicans. The other is Jennifer DeCasper, chief of staff for South Carolina Republican Sen. Tim Scott.

The only African-American communications director in the entire Senate is Darrell "DJ" Jordan, and he works for Republican Sen. James Lankford of Oklahoma.

Lastly, two senators have hired an African-American legislative director. We have Courtney Temple, who is working for Republican Thom Tillis of North Carolina. And we have Clint Odom, a black man, who was just hired by newly minted Sen. Kamala Harris of California as her legislative director — making him the only African-American senior staff member for a Democrat in the entire U.S. Senate.

That means Republicans in the Senate now have four African-American senior staff members and Democrats have one. Not a single black woman serves on the senior staff of any of the 48 Democratic senators. Not a single African-American serves as chief of staff, deputy chief of staff, or communications director for any of the 48 Democratic senators.

Since first writing about this issue in November, several dozen current and former African-American congressional staff members have reached out to communicate with me that this issue has nothing to do with skills or qualifications. Not dozens, but hundreds and hundreds of African-Americans have served as interns throughout both the House and the Senate. Hundreds more have served in the highest positions available in the House, and in lower-level positions in the Senate, but Senate Democrats have “all but refused to hire any of us in their most senior positions,” said another staffer.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/news/politics/king-senate-gop-hiring-black-staffers-democrats-article-1.2956438

Apologies about the bad copy/paste job. The full articles are very informative and are a good read if you have the time.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
Go ahead and laugh but I’ll stand by what I said, thank you very much. Among senior staff of elected officials (governors, senators) there is more diversity within the Republican Party.

But that is not what you said.

(And since you can find where there are a whole four more black Republican staffers than Democrats in the Senate--FOUR--how about we check out the make-up women staffers? How about the number of elected representatives in the US Congress who are not white old dudes?)
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

OK, how about I do it. Here is the make up of the US House:

Total African-Americans: 47

Democrats: 45

Republicans: 2

Total Women: 89

Democrats: 66

Republicans: 23

Total Hispanics: 42

Democrats: 30

Republicans: 12

Total Asian Americans: 14

Democrats: 13

Republicans: 1

Total American Indians: 2

Democrats: 0

Republicans: 2

https://pressgallery.house.gov/member-data/demographics
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 795, 796, 797 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 796 of 3673
Jump to: