THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 806, 807, 808 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good article which covers how currently politically plausible gun control measures would / wouldn't have prevented the recent mass shooting?

How about I just shoot from the hip. First, nothing will stop all of these tragedies, so that should be a starting point. Still, we want to prevent or mitigate as many as possible.

If we wanted to potentially prevent or mitigate the Parkland massacre, extending the law preventing 18 year old's from owning a rifle to the handgun age, or simply reinstating the Brady Bill might have helped. The later might have helped with many of the past massacres as well, as these AK/AR types seem to be common in most.

If we wanted to potentially prevent or mitigate the Las Vegas massacre, outlawing bump-stocks would have likely helped.

If we wanted to potentially prevent or mitigate the Tucson massacre, eliminating larger capacity magazines (clips--just to rile the NRA worshipers) would have likely helped.

Every one of these, including universal background checks, are overwhelmingly favored by the people, you know of . . . we the people. While the NRA and the single issue zealots have, up to now, controlled Congress, and the people have not placed a high priority on gun control, up to now, these kids just might achieve what their parents could not.

Now, if these kids would just stop their parents from spending their (the kid's) money by way of tax cuts that create deficits, we'd be in even better shape.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Gates plea in Russia investigation centers on meeting with California congressman

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-gates-plea-in-russia-investigation-1519412418-htmlstory.html

I hope Rep. Dana Rohrabacher rots in prison. Costa mesa should be embarrassed of their boisterously treasonous representative.
When I think Party over Country. Dana is the first person who comes to mind... and the whole GOP party is culpable.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The NRA hates empirical data -- that's why they had their GOP shills in congress write a law preventing the federal government from collecting such data. Democrats have reintroduced legislation to reverse that, but so far no GOP takers.

Governor Cuomo in NY just announced a regional, multi-state gun safety cooperative (so far NY, NJ, Conn & RI -- and I just wrote the MA governor to ask him why MA hasn't joined them) where the states will share their data and research with one another, and coordinate their own regional background check system that will be more exhaustive than current system.

Pooling ideas, talent, resources and data is good step in the right direction in absence of Congressional leadership.

I feel like background checks, waiting periods and even mandatory training should be something 2nd A. lovers get behind. It would mean that the majority of gun owners were "good guys", without temperaments, that are actually "well-trained".
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
The NRA hates empirical data -- that's why they had their GOP shills in congress write a law preventing the federal government from collecting such data. Democrats have reintroduced legislation to reverse that, but so far no GOP takers.

Governor Cuomo in NY just announced a regional, multi-state gun safety cooperative (so far NY, NJ, Conn & RI -- and I just wrote the MA governor to ask him why MA hasn't joined them) where the states will share their data and research with one another, and coordinate their own regional background check system that will be more exhaustive than current system.

Pooling ideas, talent, resources and data is good step in the right direction in absence of Congressional leadership.

I feel like background checks, waiting periods and even mandatory training should be something 2nd A. lovers get behind. It would mean that the majority of gun owners were "good guys", without temperaments, that are actually "well-trained".

We could even give them a Sheriff's Badge with "Good Guy" on it after they complete an eval
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

i'm thinking franchise tv show Sheriff Good Guy and his trusted sidekick Gunny the Gun Gun
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Gates plea in Russia investigation centers on meeting with California congressman

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-gates-plea-in-russia-investigation-1519412418-htmlstory.html

I hope Rep. Dana Rohrabacher rots in prison. Costa mesa should be embarrassed of their boisterously treasonous representative.
When I think Party over Country. Dana is the first person who comes to mind... and the whole GOP party is culpable.

Quote:
"There’s … there’s two people, I think, Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump … swear to God."
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"If the sanctions don't work, we will have to go to phase two, and phase two may be a very rough thing, may be very, very unfortunate for the world."

https://www.rt.com/news/419686-north-korea-phase-two-trump/

How much longer can we go on threatening the whole world?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

I listened to some of Trumps BS today. I don't know if this was a part of it, I didn't listen to it entirely.

Listening to MSCBC, I nearly fell off my lazy boy when he recited lyrics from Al Wilson - The snake. Some time ago I posted the lyrics and HE was the snake.

Muller's indictments don't touch Teflon Don. Is he trying to flip Manafort or others he's indicted? Is the end game veiled?

Thank Da Lawd for NBA League Pass. I going to relieve on basketball until the last game, Lakers vs Mavericks. We're not having a good year but the future looks promising. GO LAKERS!!!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/AlogoAgogo/status/966663128736940032

Pretty good thread about how Australia tackled their gun issues. It as been talked about a lot, but it all of these regulations they imposed seem so common sense for all sides of the debate.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Quote:
"If the sanctions don't work, we will have to go to phase two, and phase two may be a very rough thing, may be very, very unfortunate for the world."

https://www.rt.com/news/419686-north-korea-phase-two-trump/

How much longer can we go on threatening the whole world?

Until right before the midterms probably
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

It would be nice if the GOP leadership had empathy ... or heck just sympathy for mass shooting victims.
But damn, Donald Trump Jr doesn't even have decency.
Quote:

14-year-old Parkland survivor calls out Melania Trump for sitting by as Donald Trump Jr. cyberbullied her

Fourteen-year-old Lauren Hogg, who survived the Parkland, Florida, school shooting last week but lost four of her friends, rebuked first lady Melania Trump on Friday after Donald Trump Jr. "liked" tweets pushing conspiracy theories about the students.

Hogg's older brother, 17-year-old David Hogg, was the target of such tweets liked by Donald Trump Jr. earlier this week. The conspiracy theories allege Hogg, who has made powerful statements calling for bipartisan action on gun violence, is "running cover for his dad," who is a former FBI agent.

"Hey @FLOTUS, you say that your mission as first lady is to stop cyber bullying," Lauren Hogg tweeted, "well then, don't you think it would have been smart to have a convo with your stepson, @DonaldJTrumpJr, before he liked a post about a false conspiracy theory, which in turn put a target on my back and created a safe space for people all over the world to call me and my family horrific things that constantly re-victimizes us and our community?"

Hogg added: "I'm 14, I should never have had to deal with any of this and even though I thought it couldn't get worse, it has because of your family."

http://theweek.com/speedreads/757235/14yearold-parkland-survivor-calls-melania-trump-sitting-by-donald-trump-jr-cyberbullied
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

I thought this was a good article on the gun debate:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/remember-this-week-its-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-the-nras-reign-of-terror?via=newsletter&source=PMDigestOrig_ABTest

I thought this part was especially interesting, these wack jobs need to be forced to the black market at the very least:

The statistics are damning. Since 1966, when a gunman turned the clock tower at the University of Texas into a sniper’s nest, killing 17 people before police killed him, 1,077 Americans have been murdered in mass shootings, including 162 children and teenagers. According to The Washington Post, which examined 150 mass killings in which one or more gunmen participated and four or more people died, 167 of the 292 guns used by 153 mass murderers were obtained legally, and only 49 illegally (the sources of the rest are unknown).

The problem is not “illegal” guns. It’s the ones that are perfectly lawful to obtain. And by the way, mass shootings represent a fraction of the overall gun deaths that are unique to America, which lost more than 1.5 million lives to gun homicides and suicides between 1968 and 2015 – more than have perished in all the wars America has been involved in combined.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I thought this was a good article on the gun debate:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/remember-this-week-its-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-the-nras-reign-of-terror?via=newsletter&source=PMDigestOrig_ABTest

I thought this part was especially interesting, these wack jobs need to be forced to the black market at the very least:

The statistics are damning. Since 1966, when a gunman turned the clock tower at the University of Texas into a sniper’s nest, killing 17 people before police killed him, 1,077 Americans have been murdered in mass shootings, including 162 children and teenagers. According to The Washington Post, which examined 150 mass killings in which one or more gunmen participated and four or more people died, 167 of the 292 guns used by 153 mass murderers were obtained legally, and only 49 illegally (the sources of the rest are unknown).

The problem is not “illegal” guns. It’s the ones that are perfectly lawful to obtain. And by the way, mass shootings represent a fraction of the overall gun deaths that are unique to America, which lost more than 1.5 million lives to gun homicides and suicides between 1968 and 2015 – more than have perished in all the wars America has been involved in combined.

My bold

Seems dark humor is all that fits when our politicians are not even human being but bank accounts.. that is all they are anymore .. walking bank accounts..

"Senator, can you get those bills passed I wrote for you?"

"Sir, have you seen my re-election campaign?"

BTW, lanny did you see what they are trying to push through in the schools? I am sure it will aid in the thoughts and prayers trucking and railroad industry
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/02/23/florida-schools-must-display-god-we-trust/366521002/
Florida schools must display 'In God We Trust' under bill passed in state House
USA Today NetworkAshley May, USA TODAY Published 11:10 a.m. ET Feb. 23, 2018 | Updated 11:57 a.m. ET Feb. 23, 2018
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good article which covers how currently politically plausible gun control measures would / wouldn't have prevented the recent mass shooting?

Thanks for the responses guys. It's not so much that I'm looking for a black/white solution to the problem, but more that I'm trying to understand the various control measures better. So if there was something like the shooter did A, B, C, D, and E on the way to the mass shooting, and these measures at which point would have flagged / hindered him / saved a few lives, it would be helpful. (I guess it wouldn't be too hard to dig into this myself, but was trying to save some time.)
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Thanks for the responses guys. It's not so much that I'm looking for a black/white solution to the problem, but more that I'm trying to understand the various control measures better. So if there was something like the shooter did A, B, C, D, and E on the way to the mass shooting, and these measures at which point would have flagged / hindered him / saved a few lives, it would be helpful. (I guess it wouldn't be too hard to dig into this myself, but was trying to save some time.)

thank you for being willing to look at this situation with this much time and concern
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Mueller is building some steam.
Gates plead guilty to conspiracy against the U.S. and lying to the FBI today.
And now more indictments have been filled against Manafort.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

thank you for being willing to look at this situation with this much time and concern

Just seemed like a no brainer article for someone out there to have written, no?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Just seemed like a no brainer article for someone out there to have written, no?

Maybe in one of the psychology websites or a Forensics site?
https://www.google.com/search?q=forensics+steps+of+mass+shooter
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

I will guess bullying will be one of the big factors in those who were mass shooters
Bullied either by their peers through school or by family members etc..

Must be some feelings of hopelessness and revenge in them
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject:

This article sort of covers some of the things that could have been done:

https://www.policeone.com/active-shooter/articles/471230006-In-wake-of-Parkland-shooting-police-chiefs-push-for-gun-control/
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

BTW, lanny did you see what they are trying to push through in the schools? I am sure it will aid in the thoughts and prayers trucking and railroad industry
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/02/23/florida-schools-must-display-god-we-trust/366521002/
Florida schools must display 'In God We Trust' under bill passed in state House
USA Today NetworkAshley May, USA TODAY Published 11:10 a.m. ET Feb. 23, 2018 | Updated 11:57 a.m. ET Feb. 23, 2018
5's

You need to Trust in God when you have maniacs running around in the schools with AR 15's, but that is the US in general and Florida in particular.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Mueller is building some steam.
Gates plead guilty to conspiracy against the U.S. and lying to the FBI today.
And now more indictments have been filled against Manafort.

Gates tried to lie during plea negotiations, and mueller hit him with more than twenty new felony charges. Gates waved the white flag.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject:

A Parkland survivor's right-wing rube father fudged e-mails between himself and CNN to give Trump and Fox News something to piss about

http://www.businessinsider.com/parkland-shooting-survivors-family-shops-doctored-cnn-emails-to-media-2018-2?r=UK&IR=T
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
A Parkland survivor's right-wing rube father fudged e-mails between himself and CNN to give Trump and Fox News something to piss about

http://www.businessinsider.com/parkland-shooting-survivors-family-shops-doctored-cnn-emails-to-media-2018-2?r=UK&IR=T

Juxtaposed

https://www.google.com/search?q=donald+trump+jr+david+hogg&oq=donald+trump+jr+david+hogg

Quote:

A Florida shooting survivor has slammed Donald Trump Jr. as “disgusting” after the president’s son liked a tweet suggesting the teenager was speaking out on gun control as a “cover” for his FBI father.

The president’s son liked the online conspiracy theory that was posted by several people on Twitter about teenage survivor David Hogg, who has also been forced to defend himself against a conspiracy that he is a "crisis actor."
http://www.newsweek.com/florida-shooting-donald-trump-jr-david-hogg-814056
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

If the Governor of Florida doesn't press charges on the Father and investigate Tucker Carlson then we all need to do what we can.

That man does not know what fascism looks like in the beginning and he was an unwitting actor in supporting fascist elements in the Republican party

What a terrible group of people Americans have voted into office.
Now this deserves an investigation.. butter emails

Scared into action

Republicans are scaring a deep part of me. Like as if they have a Hitler/Dictator/Megalomaniac dream in their DNA that is expressing itself more and more

Really I am 100% certain the father can be charged with multiple crimes.

CNN should sue him into poverty for doing what he did
Federal Civil Rights violation imho. Lied to us all during a national crisis to create political hate and drama
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 806, 807, 808 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 807 of 3673
Jump to: