THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 831, 832, 833 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
^^^jodeke, see my post above about new AG ability to change the "good cause" rule.

I'd like to read the reasoning for your post. Is there a statue, rule, something to affirm it? It doesn't make sense to me to give a office that much discretion. The ability to "just make something up."

I've been listening to the former Watergate prosecutors and former Dept. of Justice officials on MSNBC for the last year. This question has been posed to them over and over again. The consensus is that once the Congress let the Independent Counsel statue expire (originally established after Watergate precisely to prevent the President from being able to fire the prosecutor), then the power to appoint a special prosecutor reverted back to the Attorney General, following internal DOJ guidelines. The AG has the ability to change internal guidelines. I'm not sure what the internal procedure entails, but since the final arbiter would be the AG, then who would challenge him? It would require Congress to intervene by writing another statue, etc. Do you see the GOP congress intervening?

I'll see if I can find an article. (but I have a really good memory about these things)

Honestly, yes, to a degree.Those people are survivors. 2018 is looming. There are seats up for election. The possibility of a Blue Wave may be cause to pause for some.

I've held for some time, sooner or later Trump supporters will see the damage he's causing and jump ship. It's happening in a sense by all the retirements.

The current Congress would barely bat an eyelash if a new Attorney General fired Mueller, much less go out of their way to enact a new law.

Anyway, I found an article that touches on it:

Can Trump fire Mueller? Yup, and in more ways than one.

Quote:
But there is another path Trump could take to remove Mueller, according to Yale Law Professor Akhil Amar. The regulations that govern the special counsel were issued by the Department of Justice and could be rescinded by the Department of Justice. If the regulations were rescinded, Trump would no longer be required to cite any cause in removing Mueller. Still, however, he would likely have to go through Rosenstein to rescind the regulation, a move Rosenstein would likely resist.

And although Rosenstein would resist, a hand-picked Trump toady as new AG would rescind the regulations in a hot minute.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

RoyalPurple8 wrote:
Are people really questioning whether we should be paranoid about the FBI. Their credibility is pretty horrible I would say.

This is the same organization that claimed Marijuana would make black men sexually assault white women.

This is the same organization that supposedly had info on every attack on American soil and never did nothing to stop any of these incidences (particularly mass shootings).

All of a sudden we love politicians and the FBI and believe what they say?

I'll ask again, show proof of your allegations or recant. I got no response to my last request. I don't expect one to this. I suspect trolling.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

James Comey had a little something to say about Trump's tweet:

Quote:
James Comey Verified account @Comey

Mr. President, the American people will hear my story very soon. And they can judge for themselves who is honorable and who is not.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
^^^jodeke, see my post above about new AG ability to change the "good cause" rule.

I'd like to read the reasoning for your post. Is there a statue, rule, something to affirm it? It doesn't make sense to me to give a office that much discretion. The ability to "just make something up."

I've been listening to the former Watergate prosecutors and former Dept. of Justice officials on MSNBC for the last year. This question has been posed to them over and over again. The consensus is that once the Congress let the Independent Counsel statue expire (originally established after Watergate precisely to prevent the President from being able to fire the prosecutor), then the power to appoint a special prosecutor reverted back to the Attorney General, following internal DOJ guidelines. The AG has the ability to change internal guidelines. I'm not sure what the internal procedure entails, but since the final arbiter would be the AG, then who would challenge him? It would require Congress to intervene by writing another statue, etc. Do you see the GOP congress intervening?

I'll see if I can find an article. (but I have a really good memory about these things)

Honestly, yes, to a degree.Those people are survivors. 2018 is looming. There are seats up for election. The possibility of a Blue Wave may be cause to pause for some.

I've held for some time, sooner or later Trump supporters will see the damage he's causing and jump ship. It's happening in a sense by all the retirements.

The current Congress would barely bat an eyelash if a new Attorney General fired Mueller, much less go out of their way to enact a new law.

Quote:
But there is another path Trump could take to remove Mueller, according to Yale Law Professor Akhil Amar. The regulations that govern the special counsel were issued by the Department of Justice and could be rescinded by the Department of Justice. If the regulations were rescinded, Trump would no longer be required to cite any cause in removing Mueller. Still, however, he would likely have to go through Rosenstein to rescind the regulation, a move Rosenstein would likely resist.

And although Rosenstein would resist, a hand-picked Trump toady as new AG would rescind the regulations in a hot minute.

I'd already read the article you posted. It says Trump can fire Mueller by using the channels the article states. It also says such a move would cause a firestorm. The infighting could be devastating to the party. Firing Mueller could be the beginning of a Saturday Night Massacre. That would not be good for Teflon Don.

As I said seats are up for reelection. The prospect of a Blue Wave may give some cause to pause.

Quote:
The political price for the removal — however accomplished — would be steep, and Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff suggested it would lead Congress to re-establish an independent counsel statute and reappoint Mueller. Such a move would, of course, require the support of Republicans.

Republican leaders have praised Mueller, a former FBI director, and urged the White House to let him do his work leading the probe into Russian interference in the election. “I think the best advice is to let Robert Mueller do his job,” House Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday when asked.

EDIT: John Dowd, Trumps lawyer says Mccabe was fired for lack of candor. Does he believe Trump should be impeached for same?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

I'd already read the article you posted. It says Trump can fire Mueller by using the channels the article states. It also says such a move would cause a firestorm. The infighting could be devastating to the party. Firing Mueller could be the beginning of a Saturday Night Massacre. That would not be good for Teflon Don.

As I said seats are up for reelection. The prospect of a Blue Wave may give some cause to pause.

Quote:
The political price for the removal — however accomplished — would be steep, and Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff suggested it would lead Congress to re-establish an independent counsel statute and reappoint Mueller. Such a move would, of course, require the support of Republicans.

Republican leaders have praised Mueller, a former FBI director, and urged the White House to let him do his work leading the probe into Russian interference in the election. “I think the best advice is to let Robert Mueller do his job,” House Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday when asked.

The GOP has shifted more toward protecting Trump than Mueller since that article. So I won't be holding my breath on them doing the right thing at this point. Only Democrats retaking the house will change things. Republicans are afraid of their base who are still solidly behind everything Trump says or does. That won't change before the election. If they lose enough seats, then maybe they'll recalculate. The only thing the prospect of losing in November has motivated individual congressman to do is retire now rather than stand up to Trump. Anyway, I won't be searching for articles to answer your questions again since you seem to have already read them and formed your own conclusion while forgetting the answer to your question was already contained in the article. Have a nice weekend.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

RoyalPurple8 wrote:
Are people really questioning whether we should be paranoid about the FBI. Their credibility is pretty horrible I would say.

This is the same organization that claimed Marijuana would make black men sexually assault white women.

This is the same organization that supposedly had info on every attack on American soil and never did nothing to stop any of these incidences (particularly mass shootings).

All of a sudden we love politicians and the FBI and believe what they say?

I think mistakes are made at all levels of government and law enforcement but does that mean we tear down the institutions of government and law? No, absolutely not and suggesting we should is ridiculous.

For as flawed as our system can be, for as many times the FBI, the government, law enforcement can get it wrong. Much more often they get it right.

Your argument lacks nuance. Everything is not black and white like the Russian Trolls would have you believe.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

The GOP has shifted more toward protecting Trump than Mueller since that article. So I won't be holding my breath on them doing the right thing at this point. Only Democrats retaking the house will change things. Republicans are afraid of their base who are still solidly behind everything Trump says or does. That won't change before the election. If they lose enough seats, then maybe they'll recalculate. The only thing the prospect of losing in November has motivated individual congressman to do is retire now rather than stand up to Trump. Anyway, I won't be searching for articles to answer your questions again since you seem to have already read them and formed your own conclusion while forgetting the answer to your question was already contained in the article. Have a nice weekend.

Same to you. I have a Power Pressure Cooker XL. I'm having a ball doing meats and pastas. Don't know if oxtails, neck bones, short ribs are on your menu. The cooker is so easy. Season and place the meats in the cooker. Meats fall off the bone.

Enjoy CL....

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Yup, they are trying to impugn his testimony, punish him, and scare any other prospective witnesses.

Can Trump now hire someone, who can then fire Mueller?

Just trying to figure out if this is a slo-mo Saturday Night Massacre.

I have my marching shoes ready. But I want to know if we have 1 more safe guard for Mueller (maybe Rosenstein). I'm not familiar with the process.

Why it’s much harder for Trump to fire Robert Mueller than it was to fire James Comey

LINK

Quote:
The special counsel procedures were established by a Justice Department regulation, and the authors of this regulation tried to make it deliberately difficult for the special counsel to be fired. They wrote that only the attorney general can fire him or her, and that even then, there would have to be a good reason — that it could only be done for “misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause.”

I hate to always be the cynic, but if trump fires sessions and puts his guy in there, that guy will call whatever reason he uses good cause and the gop congress will say sure, fine.

His guy would have to agree to fire Muller. If he refused that could put in motion a Saturday Night Massacre. We know the outcome of Nixon's SNM. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there would have to be good cause. Finding good cause from what I've seen of Mueller will be a hard stump to pull.

The whole purpose of firing sessions would be to put in a guy who would do it. It’s not like the Saturday night massacre where they kept firing the top guy and elevating the next guy in line from the career guys. He would put in his own guy at the top (Pruitt is the guy rumored to want it) and that guy would do the deed. And of course say it was over some conflict or misdeed on Mueller’s part. I’m guessing trumps lawyers already have the supposed reason ready to roll out.

If the Dems win back the House and not the Senate, can they allow a fired Mueller to continue what he started via the House Judiciary Committee?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I believe they could restart his investigation under their own umbrella yes
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Dem offers to hire McCabe to help him qualify for his pension

LINK

ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

LINK

yeah i read that, will that work??
i'd read his book if McCabe ever came out with one lol
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject:

President Loco feeling the walls closing in:

Quote:
Donald J. Trump Verified account @realDonaldTrump

The Mueller probe should never have been started in that there was no collusion and there was no crime. It was based on fraudulent activities and a Fake Dossier paid for by Crooked Hillary and the DNC, and improperly used in FISA COURT for surveillance of my campaign. WITCH HUNT!

He wants to fire Mueller so badly he can taste it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Contributing factor to Trump freak-out:

Quote:
Maggie Haberman Verified account @maggieNYT

Soon to be in mine and @nytmike's story, Trump's lawyers recently received a list of questions from Mueller's team that the special counsel would seek answers to in an interview. Adds to the portrait of what took place today.

Will post a link to the NYT article when it goes live.

NYT: Trump Lawyer Says Special Counsel Inquiry Should Be Ended

This is an updated article summarizing the last 24 hours, including this:

Quote:
The president’s tweets, posted on a Saturday in which he remained inside the White House with no public schedule, came as Mr. Mueller is said to have sent questions to Mr. Trump’s legal team as part of negotiations over an interview with the president. Mr. Mueller is seeking the interview, according to two people close to the White House, in order to ask follow-up questions, but put forward the list as a start.

Mr. Dowd’s remarks about Mr. Mueller’s investigation represented an extraordinary shift in public strategy for the Trump legal team. Since taking over the case last summer, Mr. Trump’s lawyers have urged a strategy of restraint, in which the president avoids discussing Mr. Mueller or criticizing him, and the lawyers had done nothing publicly until now that could agitate the special counsel’s team.

The comments by both Mr. Trump and Mr. Dowd lent credence to Mr. McCabe’s assertion that the president sees his firing as directly tied into Mr. Mueller’s case. Mr. McCabe, who is a potential witness in the investigation, declared that his dismissal was an attempt to undermine it.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
President Loco feeling the walls closing in:

Quote:
Donald J. Trump Verified account @realDonaldTrump

The Mueller probe should never have been started in that there was no collusion and there was no crime. It was based on fraudulent activities and a Fake Dossier paid for by Crooked Hillary and the DNC, and improperly used in FISA COURT for surveillance of my campaign. WITCH HUNT!

He wants to fire Mueller so badly he can taste it.

He clearly didn't compose that tweet.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Some additional context for Trump's hatred of the FBI (other than the fact they investigated him). The FBI briefed both Obama and Trump on the Steele dossier - as part of their duty to keep both current and incoming president aware of what was happening. Trump thought the FBI was trying to blackmail him.

Quote:
David Corn Verified account @DavidCornDC

On the second page of "Russian Roulette," we reveal that Trump entered the White House believing the FBI was trying to blackmail him. He's been waging a paranoia-driven vendetta ever since.

https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Roulette-Inside-America-Election/dp/1538728753

Link to page from the book

This is probably because the FBI disclosed to him potential blackmail from Russia. "My friend Vladimir would never do that!"

More like that Trump already WAS being blackmailed by Russia for some of the same stuff and assumed the FBI was going to blackmail him also.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Trumps team keeps saying "There was no collusion." I don't think collusion is Mueller's journey. I believe he's looking in obstruction. Collusion cries are an attempt to deflect from Stormy, obstruction and money infractions.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Someone sort of in loop with Mueller team???
https://mobile.twitter.com/BanditRandom/status/975086096924094464

Good stuff in there

Quote:

The contingency plan we implemented last night following the #AndrewMcCabeFiring are designed to prepare to attack Trump, specifically.

We were told, in no uncertain terms, that Mueller will retaliate

We were just told as I'm typing, Trump was notified last week there are McCabe memos memorializing Trump's actions around the #ComeyFiring and was notified on Wednesday, 3/14 that Mueller had those memos. I don't see how this can go one for much longer. Sit tight. I have a couple calls I want to make.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

yeah i read that, will that work??
i'd read his book if McCabe ever came out with one lol

I don't know the nuances concerning hiring and firing related to pensions. Seems if he only needs 26 hours to qualify for his pension it should. I don't believe you have to work for the same party. I believe government employment is all that's required.

I hope it works. It would be a shame to allow a vindictive AH to deprive a 20 service employee his retirement monies.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Can someone on Twitter tweet this guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/TomSteyer

This link

Let him know it could be a big group of nails in Trump's coffin

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/stormy/
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/974054346311852033

^^^ very enjoyable to witness
Thank you parents of these children for instilling Courage and Connection/Empathy into these Saviors

They took that (bleep) life straight offline I'll bet

The replies will warm your heart

He thought he could try to be a politician in a smaller town..
Haha (bleep)

https://mobile.twitter.com/thekiernanmc/status/974293488979398656
https://mobile.twitter.com/thekiernanmc/status/973603387156680704

They got someone to run against him there
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject:

Sarah Huckabee Sanders wrote:
When you're attacking FBI agents because you're under criminal investigation, you're losing

https://twitter.com/sarahhuckabee/status/794255968448020480
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject:

So the story with Cambridge Analytica..
50,000,000 votes is about 40%
They stole the data and tracked and manipulated potentially 50,000,000

These weren't like Yahoo or other breaches of security.. this was laser targeted at certain groups and then weaponized..

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/us/politics/cambridge-analytica-trump-campaign.html

Quote:
Congressional investigators have questioned Mr. Nix about the company’s role in the Trump campaign. And the Justice Department’s special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, has demanded the emails of Cambridge Analytica employees who worked for the Trump team as part of his investigation into Russian interference in the election.

While the substance of Mr. Mueller’s interest is a closely guarded secret, documents viewed by The Times indicate that the firm’s British affiliate claims to have worked in Russia and Ukraine. And the WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange, disclosed in October that Mr. Nix had reached out to him during the campaign in hopes of obtaining private emails belonging to Mr. Trump’s Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton.

There is the DEEP STATE ^^

Quote:
Dr. Kogan declined to provide details of what happened, citing nondisclosure agreements with Facebook and Cambridge Analytica, though he maintained that his program was “a very standard vanilla Facebook app.”

My Mother said something like "he who complains the most has probably got something to hide.."

Trump so far has complained about everything he does.. He just does it in a way that says the other guy is doing it.. Get him... so odd how he plays people like a CircusMaster..
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

Trump Attacks McCabe, Comey And Mueller Probe In Sunday Tweet Barrage

Quote:
Trump on Sunday also renewed his attack on Mueller’s investigation into Russian election meddling and possible ties between the Trump campaign and Moscow. He accused members of Mueller’s team of being politically biased and favoring his 2016 presidential opponent, Hillary Clinton.

“Why does the Mueller team have 13 hardened Democrats, some big Crooked Hillary supporters, and Zero Republicans?” he wrote. “Another Dem recently added ... does anyone think this is fair? And yet, there is NO COLLUSION!”
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

NYT: Trump Assails Mueller, Drawing Rebukes From (a few) Republicans

Quote:
The two weekend tweets were the first time Mr. Trump has personally used Mr. Mueller’s name on Twitter, and it raised the question once again about whether the president might be seeking to lay the groundwork to try to fire the special counsel. Such a move would surely set off a bipartisan storm of protest, and some Republicans expressed alarm on Sunday.

“If he tried to do that, that would be the beginning of the end of his presidency, because we’re a rule-of-law nation,” Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, who has been an ally of the president, said on “State of the Union” on CNN. “When it comes to Mr. Mueller, he is following the evidence where it takes him, and I think it’s very important he be allowed to do his job without interference, and there are many Republicans who share my view.”

Among them was Senator Jeff Flake of Arizona, a sharp critic of Mr. Trump who appeared on the same program. “People see that as a massive red line that can’t be crossed,” he said. He added that he hoped Mr. Trump’s advisers prevailed on him not to fire Mr. Mueller. “We have confidence in Mueller.”

Quote:
Representative Trey Gowdy, Republican of South Carolina, said if the president was innocent, he should “act like it” and leave Mr. Mueller alone. Mr. Gowdy warned of dire repercussions if the president tried to fire the special counsel, which might require him to first fire his attorney general or deputy attorney general.

Quote:
The House speaker, Paul D. Ryan, Republican of Wisconsin, issued a statement warning Mr. Trump to back off. “As the speaker has always said, Mr. Mueller and his team should be able to do their job,” said AshLee Strong, a spokeswoman for Mr. Ryan. His counterpart, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, had no immediate comment, according to his office.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Contributing factor to Trump freak-out:

Quote:
Maggie Haberman Verified account @maggieNYT

Soon to be in mine and @nytmike's story, Trump's lawyers recently received a list of questions from Mueller's team that the special counsel would seek answers to in an interview. Adds to the portrait of what took place today.

Will post a link to the NYT article when it goes live.

NYT: Trump Lawyer Says Special Counsel Inquiry Should Be Ended

This is an updated article summarizing the last 24 hours, including this:

Quote:
The president’s tweets, posted on a Saturday in which he remained inside the White House with no public schedule, came as Mr. Mueller is said to have sent questions to Mr. Trump’s legal team as part of negotiations over an interview with the president. Mr. Mueller is seeking the interview, according to two people close to the White House, in order to ask follow-up questions, but put forward the list as a start.

Mr. Dowd’s remarks about Mr. Mueller’s investigation represented an extraordinary shift in public strategy for the Trump legal team. Since taking over the case last summer, Mr. Trump’s lawyers have urged a strategy of restraint, in which the president avoids discussing Mr. Mueller or criticizing him, and the lawyers had done nothing publicly until now that could agitate the special counsel’s team.

The comments by both Mr. Trump and Mr. Dowd lent credence to Mr. McCabe’s assertion that the president sees his firing as directly tied into Mr. Mueller’s case. Mr. McCabe, who is a potential witness in the investigation, declared that his dismissal was an attempt to undermine it.

They're nailed. A decent attorney only asks questions when they already know the answers and Mueller and company are several levels beyond decent.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 831, 832, 833 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 832 of 3673
Jump to: