THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 837, 838, 839 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
This pretty much sums it up.

Quote:
Alt Fed Employee _at_ Alt_FedEmployee

✔Terrorist:
(Brown) guy blows himself up in NYC

✔Not a terrorist:
(White) guy drives into crowd at KKK rally
(White) guy shoots 500 at concert killing 58
(White) guy kills 17 at school
(White) guy shoots 7 at school
(White) guy plants 5 bombs in TX

It's funny...I was going to ask if we were going to hear the T word at some point in all in this carnage. I didn't bother...I already knew the answer.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

There was one person who figured out the connection between the Trump campaign, Cambridge Analytica, the Russians and Facebook -- last year -- but people pooh-poohed her, told her she should shut up, go away and knit something:

Link to British Channel 4 Video on Cambridge Analytica investigation
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
There was one person who figured out the connection between the Trump campaign, Cambridge Analytica, the Russians and Facebook -- last year -- but people pooh-poohed her, told her she should shut up, go away and knit something:

There is a level of sophistication to all of this that unfortunately most people are not ready to grasp and/or receive. But the one thing that came into focus for me is that when it comes to social media, we are not the consumer. The consumers of social media are the advertisers i.e. the Cambridge Analyticas of the world. We are the PRODUCT.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
SweetP wrote:

It's blatant terrorism, most likely domestic terrorism. For an unknown motivation someone or some group is terrorizing Austin.

Fairly liberal area. Vibrant arts community. Tolerant atmosphere compared to other areas of Texas. Dreamshake probably hates it.

Congrats to the long arm of the law. I'm always amazed by their ability to catch perps. They caught Conditt by tracing the battery used to make the device.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

The firm also tested views of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“The only foreign thing we tested was Putin,” he said. “It turns out, there’s a lot of Russian/CA TROLLFARMS who really like this idea of a really strong authoritarian leader and Russian/CA TROLLFARMS were quite defensive in focus groups of Putin’s invasion of Crimea.”

I had to fix his words.. whether he was an unwilling participant or not... plant the viewpoints then use bots to bend people's opinions..
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
SweetP wrote:

It's blatant terrorism, most likely domestic terrorism. For an unknown motivation someone or some group is terrorizing Austin.

Fairly liberal area. Vibrant arts community. Tolerant atmosphere compared to other areas of Texas. Dreamshake probably hates it.

Congrats to the long arm of the law. I'm always amazed by their ability to catch perps. They caught Conditt by tracing the battery used to make the device.

He hand delivered the packages to a business that has had video surveillance for near 20 years..

Sad that dude felt this was some way to bring happiness to himself?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

There is a level of sophistication to all of this that unfortunately most people are not ready to grasp and/or receive. But the one thing that came into focus for me is that when it comes to social media, we are not the consumer. The consumers of social media are the advertisers i.e. the Cambridge Analyticas of the world. We are the PRODUCT.

Yup. If it's free, you're the product.

I contemplated ending my Facebook account. But in the mean time, you can prevent third-parties from accessing/data mining your personal information by going to "Settings" then "Apps" then choose to "Disable" the "Apps, Websites and Plugins." And don't ever take one of those quizzes that promises to tell you how old you are if you take a food quiz.

Of course the STUPID people who are most susceptible to lying fake propaganda bullcrap aren't going to turn off those settings, but ya gotta start somewhere.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

Imagine for a second that Comey had not interfered 11 days before the election and Hillary won (I'm assuming she would have won if he hadn't, and there's data that supports it), there's so much information regarding Russian meddling, Facebook, data mining, secret meetings, and other things directly or indirectly related to the Russian probe that we never would have found out. The press would be focused on other things (uncovering so-called scandals surrounding Hillary), Trump TV would probably be a real thing, and the Russians would still be undermining our political system behind the scenes.

I guess the only "good" thing that has happened during Trump's presidency is that the press and Mueller have uncovered all of this information. Let's hope we liberals learn from it and are never again dissuaded from voting or persuaded to vote for joke candidates like Stein because someone shared a link on Facebook describing Hillary as a murderer or something.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Imagine for a second that Comey had not interfered 11 days before the election and Hillary won (I'm assuming she would have won if he hadn't, and there's data that supports it), there's so much information regarding Russian meddling, Facebook, data mining, secret meetings, and other things directly or indirectly related to the Russian probe that we never would have found out. The press would be focused on other things (uncovering so-called scandals surrounding Hillary), Trump TV would probably be a real thing, and the Russians would still be undermining our political system behind the scenes.

I guess the only "good" thing that has happened during Trump's presidency is that the press and Mueller have uncovered all of this information. Let's hope we liberals learn from it and are never again dissuaded from voting or persuaded to vote for joke candidates like Stein because someone shared a link on Facebook describing Hillary as a murderer or something.

the question is... what do you do with people that have a right to vote whom are so EASILY swayed?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

You try to educate them. At the very least you do everything you can to make sure that there are more educated voters out there than there are more uneducated ones.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Register new voters starting at age 17-18 who will vote against GOP because of the gun/NRA issue. Remind millenials that GOP is for the 1%, denying climate change, taking away healthcare, and are implementing racist, bigoted, anti-woman policies, and that they need to vote because their well being depends on it.. Overwhelm the stubborn/ignorant people at the polls and render them irrelevant.

I said this right after the election. You do not try to woo those people. They are beyond reason living in their crazed Fox News alternate reality.

Then once there is a Democratic majority in the House, address voter suppression laws, gerrymandering, automatic voter registration at age 18, etc.

In raw numbers, we outnumber them if everyone votes. So Democrats need to repair the broken voting system. I saw some stats that in the next few years, the millenials will overtake the baby boomers in raw numbers. They need to pick up the mantle and vote in larger numbers.

And I know not everyone agrees with this, but racists, bigots and misogynists need to be shunned and shamed, not "understood" and "coddled." Make them the social pariahs they deserve to be. I know that makes me a politically correct, coastal elite, but the human species needs to evolve not devolve.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
You try to educate them. At the very least you do everything you can to make sure that there are more educated voters out there than there are more uneducated ones.

That's the drawback. People are so easily swayed. Hucksters like Trump take advantage of them.

Getting people to vote for him was like using jury consultants, go after people that fit certain criteria, how to reach certain demographics. (Cambridge Analytica) He was successful.

I think 2018 will be different because youth will vote. Republicans are not fooling the younger generation (don't misunderstand this) because of recent school shootings. They will be surfing the Blue Wave.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:

the question is... what do you do with people that have a right to vote whom are so EASILY swayed?

You outvote them or live/die with the consequences.
There are no half measures. No appealing to them or trying to compromise.

I'm not a fan of political divisiveness. In fact that is one of my biggest gripes with Trump. But we are already divided and we will be into the future. The board has been set by right wing propaganda outlets. We just have to rally our troops and appeal to the nonvoters of 2016. And beat the right at their own game.

Plus why waist time trying to change the mind of Trumpers, when there are alot more non-Trumpers out there who feel underrepresented as well.
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Wonder what George Carlin would say if he was alive today.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

There is actually a small group of Trump voters who can be flipped -- moderate GOP women (and some men) living in the suburbs. Rural America will not be turned away from Trump. But there are some GOP moderates who voted a straight GOP ticket who are now appalled at what their party has become. These are the people who have helped the Democrats win these last dozen special elections. Moderate Democratic candidates who focused on issues important to the local district, even in Red States or Red Counties, were able to win over enough GOP leaning and Independent voters in the suburbs to make a difference.

The Democrats win the urban areas, the Republicans win the rural areas, but now suburbia is more persuadable.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject:

IPK wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Wonder what George Carlin would say if he was alive today.

Awww damn... I sure miss him. Would love to hear what he'd have to say over the past few years and ESPECIALLY Now. His views on things were so simple, yet so profound. Top 3 comic all time. And possibly my all time fave.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm leaning more towards conspiracy being Mueller's path. It offers a wider berth. He may be trying to d-fang Donald. Bannon said he didn't think Trump would complete his term. He may be on to something.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Yup, that's why he's freaking out even more than usual.

"Did you order Mike Flynn to contact Russians before your inauguration with an offer to rescind sanctions?"

"During Trump Tower meeting between your son, son-in-law and campaign manager and Russian cutouts offering dirt on Hillary Clinton from hacked emails, were you aware of the meeting before hand? Did you help arrange the meeting? Did you give your permission for the meeting? Did you attend the meeting? Were you briefed about the meeting immediately afterward? Did you meet with any of the attendees immediately after the meet? Did your campaign acquire hacked information subsequent to the meeting? Did you write the press release stating that the meeting was only about adoptions?"

"When George Papadopoulos informed your campaign that Russians were in possession of hacked Hillary Clinton/DNC emails, several months before that was publicly known, did you act on that information? Did you encourage him to acquire the hacked emails? Did you acquire the hacked emails? Did your campaign knowingly disseminate and employ that information during the campaign, knowing the information was illegally obtained?"

Since Flynn and George P have flipped, I'd start with those -- because you already know the answers from the other side. And the Trump Tower meeting has multiple documented email chains where you know the answers.

I bet the list of questions is crazy long. He's probably (bleep) his pants.

Quote:
Angry WH Staffer AT AngrierWHStaff

Mueller wants to ask Trump about 4 primary topics:

- Trump Tower meeting
- Air Force One false statement re: Trump Tower Meeting
- Firing Comey
- Firing Flynn

There’s more coming on his business dealings, but I said months ago these topics would nail him for obstruction.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Funny/Not Funny

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
This can help. But remember, the educated ones go completely dunce when that tribalism kicks in.

When obama said "clinging to their guns and religion". Everyone got up in arms like that ...probably wasnt the best way to say it obama. But he was telling the truth. And the truth is, they are not actually clinging to either one of those things for the actual reasons they say out of their mouths. We can tell by their actions what their real intent is. Which goes back into...does it matter how smart someone is if they are hateful? NOPE. Does it matter how educated they are? NOPE.

Look, your GOP politicians are plenty educated. Yet they still choose to do things that harm a large majority of americans. education aint enough.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Had an interesting moment on the drive home this evening.

So I'm driving on the 101 through Studio City and out of the corner of my eye some movement caught my attention as if someone was waving at me. I look over and the driver was this old white dude (yes . . . older and whiter than me) looking straight ahead and doing a thumbs down motion with his arm extended out an open window in the drizzling rain. Not thinking he was motioning to me, because there's no reason he would be - I was driving nicely and just rolling with traffic in my lane - I started to looking further back to my right to see if maybe there was something going on behind him and saw an older white lady sitting in the backseat (window also open) looking directly at me with a somewhat embarrassed expression and then she looked forward and said something to the driver, then looked sheepishly back at me.

So I looked at the driver and saw that he was trying to make eye contact while keeping an eye on the road and pumping the thumbs down up and down continuously. I had a brief second where I ran through the whole "what's his problem? I haven't cut anyone off or anything" and then it hit me . . .

I have a sticker on my rear window that says "Don't blame me . . . I voted for Hilary" (it's next to a "THINK - It's not illegal yet" sticker ) This guy was clearly a white trash, Deplorable member of the Trumpster Fire Klan trying to express his displeasure with my sticker. I smiled to myself and looked forward as if I hadn't noticed him. I thought briefly about engaging the tool, but I was digging my music, in a good mood and didn't want to get into to it. So I spent the next mile or so just looking right ahead as I clocked him out of the corner of my eye wildly pumping his thumb up and down in an attempt to get my attention. I just kept looking ahead, expressionless and his gesturing got more and more pronounced. I had a nice sense of satisfaction that his attempts to rile me up and acknowledge his displeasure with my politics were becoming frustrating for him. Eventually my lane came to a stop and his kept moving, so he had to stop pacing me and pull ahead.

And then I clocked the license plate . . . TEXAS. I had read the situation right. I peeked around the SUV in front of me as he pulled several car lengths ahead and he finally waved his arm in that dismissive "go away" kind of shake. I eventually caught up to him and passed him and then headed on my way, never visually acknowledging him.

So I got to frustrate some redneck, dumbass Trumpie on my drive home, and that was fun.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

The hard core ones are lost. Don't bother. My brother in law wore a build that wall hat to a family gathering recently. He's very smart and very successful. I had some hope that he was being ironic. He wasn't. I doubt he wears it when the maid is working though.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
The hard core ones are lost. Don't bother. My brother in law wore a build that wall hat to a family gathering recently. He's very smart and very successful. I had some hope that he was being ironic. He wasn't. I doubt he wears it when the maid is working though.

My condolences to your sister . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Funny/Not Funny

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DY2VRIuVQAANYdK.jpg

When the lines between physical relationships and internet persona become blurred to the extent that the internet becomes reality, it’s time to put the phone down, step back and take a long look at what’s going on around outside, in the real world.

Everyone should quit Facebook. Instead, take a road trip, make a phone call, have a conversation with a stranger on the train...actual social interaction.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Great read Dmr and yes, condolences HTP 🙂
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 837, 838, 839 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 838 of 3673
Jump to: