THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 935, 936, 937 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

What NK finally received was legitimization. We literally handed Kim everything he wanted. NK's version of Fox News, aka state run media, will be trumpeting this day/night. No one talked about the atrocities. No one signed anything compelling NK to dismantle, or any true verification regimes.

But now Kim can say he stood shoulder to shoulder with Trump and the US.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Trump may be smarter than we're giving him credit for being. He uses the media like a marketing tool.

Trump's disability is not stupidity. It is myopia borne of narcissism, where he simply does not care about things outside of his needs and wants and surroundings. But he's quite intelligent and knows how to manipulate people around him through a variety of means, and TV and social media gave him access to a lot more dummies to con.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Trump may be smarter than we're giving him credit for being. He uses the media like a marketing tool.

Trump's disability is not stupidity. It is myopia borne of narcissism, where he simply does not care about things outside of his needs and wants and surroundings. But he's quite intelligent and knows how to manipulate people around him through a variety of means, and TV and social media gave him access to a lot more dummies to con.

I think the mistake many make is misinterpreting his inarticulateness for a lack of intelligence. That's not say he is very intelligent and knowledgeable. But he is smart in the areas that matter to him and he has the knowledge he's gained from the manipulation and bullying he has engaged in and was able to away with over his career.

He is masterful in exploiting those skills.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That's a given and reason to fret. He's a master manipulator.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

and while trump was distracting the world with his personal pitch to Kim Jong un for an oceanfront hotel and golf course in North Korea they were quietly releasing trumpette and her husband's financial statement $82 mil while working in the White House. swampy
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

Trump is a sociopath. That gives him the ability to use what limited intelligence he has to con people. That's his gift. And when his cons inevitably blow-up in his face, he has managed to escape severe consequences most of his life. Hopefully, karma will catch up with him.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
“I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, ‘Hey I was wrong.’ I don’t know that I’ll ever admit that, but I’ll find some kind of an excuse."

jesus i didn't know this was verbatim what he said
he said the quiet part out loud lol he's getting more brazen
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
Wilt wrote:
“I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, ‘Hey I was wrong.’ I don’t know that I’ll ever admit that, but I’ll find some kind of an excuse."

jesus i didn't know this was verbatim what he said
he said the quiet part out loud lol he's getting more brazen

He has no reason not to.

No one in any kind of position of power or actual influence actually holds him accountable in a meaningful manner.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I'll have to add trump's quote to my list of favs...here's an oldie from the Nevada GOP

"We needed to have the press be our friend ...
We wanted them to ask the questions we want to answer so that they report the news the way we want it to be reported."
—Sharron Angle, during an interview with Fox News Channel's Carl Cameron, Aug. 2, 2010
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Trump is a sociopath. That gives him the ability to use what limited intelligence he has to con people. That's his gift. And when his cons inevitably blow-up in his face, he has managed to escape severe consequences most of his life. Hopefully, karma will catch up with him.

Sociopaths are often intelligent, as Trump is. People mistake his incurious, narrow understanding of the world as limited intellect, and his basic cons as clever more than smart. Make no mistake, he gets away with it because he knows what he's doing and what he can get away with, and is a master at pushing the boundaries of the latter, to the point now where there are very very few of them. And he discovered his true ability through the medium of television, and perfected it on social media. His desire to feed his ego works hand in hand with his ability to find and nurture subjects willing to do so.

He may not know much, but he knows the most important thing, that he doesn't have to.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of Trump's audience, here's an excerpt from David Simon's searingly brilliant paen to Anthony Bourdain:

Quote:
He was precise when he told Barack Obama that he wished more Americans had passports. And indeed, it’s hard to argue against the idea that the portion of our republic that hasn’t ventured abroad is the deadweight now dragging us into national mediocrity, insisting that all points of the compass save ours lack basic liberties, or don’t exalt human values, or don’t eat, drink, cure the sick, proscribe violence or educate fools with greater efficacy than we do in this fading realm. They won’t go there. They won’t dare. Yet they already know how exceptional America is and how miserable and frightening the rest of the world must surely be.

Go, move, see, feel, eat – grow. The Church of Bourdain was founded not merely on the ever-more-vulnerable national credo that all Americans are created equal, but on the much more ambitious insistence that this declaration might be applied wherever you wandered and with whomsoever you cooked or shared a meal. He remains, for many of us, the American that we wish ourselves to be in the world’s sight. To have him widely displayed as our countryman, open to and caring about the rest of the world, and being so amid our current political degradation — this was ever more important and heroic. To lose him now, amid so many fear-mongering, xenophobic tantrums by those engaged in our misrule, is hideous and grievous.

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
governator wrote:

"Without Otto, this would not have happened," Trump said

get out the shovel... I feel a tweet storm coming

Without Otto this would not have happened, what does that actually say to NK? Arrest, hold, torture and then return him brain damaged and dying, a young American man and you get a summit with the President? Stay in a 5 star hotel (paid for by someone else) and POTUS tells the world how wonderful you are? If I was Otto's family I would be appalled and devastated.

NK routinely kidnaps Japanese, SK and US persons and then uses them as bargaining chips. They sure got a great return on Otto Warmbier.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
governator wrote:

"Without Otto, this would not have happened," Trump said

get out the shovel... I feel a tweet storm coming

Without Otto this would not have happened, what does that actually say to NK? Arrest, hold, torture and then return him brain damaged and dying, a young American man and you get a summit with the President? Stay in a 5 star hotel (paid for by someone else) and POTUS tells the world how wonderful you are? If I was Otto's family I would be appalled and devastated.

NK routinely kidnaps Japanese, SK and US persons and then uses them as bargaining chips.
They sure got a great return on Otto Warmbier.

trump promised Abe they would discuss it during the summit...must have slipped his mind and don't bother asking about it I just put my shovel away
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Trump says he watched the NKs firing off their missiles (basically threatening SK and Japan while bragging about being able to hit US targets as well) and he saw "beautiful beaches" that would make for "great condos". How bizarre and sick is that?

If NK did attack SK with conventional weapons and kill hundreds of thousands he would see it as a great opportunity to rebuild condos and apartment buildings. Think of the money that could be made. It's like the Nazi's pulling gold teeth from gas chamber corpses and using the hair of their victims to stuff cushions. A two-fer, kill your enemies and profit from it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Apparently we're making Dear Leader type propaganda films now -- for North Korea.

Washington Post: Reporters thought this video was North Korea propaganda. It came from the White House.

Quote:
Reporters crowded into a Singapore auditorium Tuesday, expecting President Trump to walk out and announce the results of his historic meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Suddenly, two huge screens on either side of the empty podium came to life. Soaring music boomed over the speakers, and the reporters were bombarded with a montage portraying North Korea as some sort of paradise.

Golden sunrises, gleaming skylines and high-speed trains. Children skipping through Kim Il Sung square in Pyongyang. North Korean flags fluttering between images of Egyptian pyramids, the Taj Mahal and the Lincoln Memorial.

In a split-screen shot, Kim Jong Un waved to an adoring crowd while President Trump stood beside him with his thumb in the air. The pair appeared over and over again, like running mates in a campaign video.

The film went on like this for more than four minutes, with brief interludes of missiles, soldiers and warships interrupting the pageantry. Some journalists, unable to understand the Korean-language narration, assumed they were watching one of Pyongyang's infamous propaganda films. “What country are we in?” asked a reporter from the filing center.

Quote:
The film was not North Korean propaganda. It had been made in America, by or on the orders of his White House, for the benefit of Kim.

This was for a dictator who murders anyone who opposes him -- and their entire families, uses torture and starvation on his own people. etc. You know, Trump's kinda guy.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Apparently we're making Dear Leader type propaganda films now -- for North Korea.

Washington Post: Reporters thought this video was North Korea propaganda. It came from the White House.

Quote:
Reporters crowded into a Singapore auditorium Tuesday, expecting President Trump to walk out and announce the results of his historic meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Suddenly, two huge screens on either side of the empty podium came to life. Soaring music boomed over the speakers, and the reporters were bombarded with a montage portraying North Korea as some sort of paradise.

Golden sunrises, gleaming skylines and high-speed trains. Children skipping through Kim Il Sung square in Pyongyang. North Korean flags fluttering between images of Egyptian pyramids, the Taj Mahal and the Lincoln Memorial.

In a split-screen shot, Kim Jong Un waved to an adoring crowd while President Trump stood beside him with his thumb in the air. The pair appeared over and over again, like running mates in a campaign video.

The film went on like this for more than four minutes, with brief interludes of missiles, soldiers and warships interrupting the pageantry. Some journalists, unable to understand the Korean-language narration, assumed they were watching one of Pyongyang's infamous propaganda films. “What country are we in?” asked a reporter from the filing center.

Quote:
The film was not North Korean propaganda. It had been made in America, by or on the orders of his White House, for the benefit of Kim.

This was for a dictator who murders anyone who opposes him -- and their entire families, uses torture and starvation on his own people. etc. You know, Trump's kinda guy.

this is a man that trump envies
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Agreement with Iran that had verification programs = Bad.
Agreement with NK that has no verification programs = Good

Fox News is a hell of a drug.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject:

One argument I'm hearing parroted throughout conservative media is, "at least we're doing something". "All Barack HUSSEIN Obama did with his 'strategic patience' was NOTHING".
Never a good sign when a key pillar of foreign policy can only be rationalized by saying "well, something is happening!"
The vagueness I'm hearing from our administration when discussing NK reminds me of Trump's initial tax "plan". Which was pretty much a couple paragraphs from the WH saying what they wanted in the bill (without actually writing a bill).

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
this is a man that trump envies

Of course. He's made it clear through his comments he prefers dictators and wishes he was one.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

ABC: Former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen likely to cooperate as his attorneys leave case, sources say

Quote:
As attorneys for Michael Cohen rush to meet Judge Kimba Wood’s Friday deadline to complete a privilege review of over 3.7 million documents seized in the April 9 raids of Cohen’s New York properties and law office, a source representing this matter has disclosed to ABC News that the law firm handling the case for Cohen is not expected to represent him going forward.

No replacement counsel has been identified as of this time.

Cohen, now with no legal representation, is likely to cooperate with federal prosecutors in New York, sources said. This development, which is believed to be imminent, will likely hit the White House, family members, staffers and counsels hard.

Expecting Trump to go to Defcon 1 as the (bleep) gets real.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject:

Mother Jones: The Director of National Intelligence Says Russia Poses a Threat to Midterm Elections. But Trump Doesn’t Seem to Care.

Quote:
...a top Trump appointee issued a dire assessment about Russia. Dan Coats, the former Republican senator who is now director of national intelligence, warned that Moscow is currently mounting information warfare against the United States that could influence the coming midterm elections.

Quote:
Noting that in 2016, Russia “conducted an unprecedented influence campaign to interfere in the US electoral and political process,” Coats said that Russia has “pursued and will pursue even more aggressive cyber-attacks and disinformation campaigns with the intent of degrading our democratic values and weakening our alliances.” He then dropped this shocker: “It is 2018, and we continue to see Russian targeting of American society in ways that could affect our midterm elections.”

Coats’ use of the present tense was significant. He appeared to be saying that US intelligence has gathered information indicating that right now, Moscow is engaging in clandestine actions that would allow it to influence congressional campaigns. In effect, Trump is calling for G7 members to welcome back a nation actively plotting to undermine US democracy. Coats pointed to recent Russian information warfare campaigns in France, Germany, and Norway. “These Russian actions are purposeful and premeditated, and they represent an all-out assault by Vladimir Putin on the rule of law, Western ideals, and democratic norms,” he said. “His actions demonstrate that he seeks to sow divisions within and between those in the West who adhere to democratic norms.”
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ABC: Former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen likely to cooperate as his attorneys leave case, sources say

Quote:
As attorneys for Michael Cohen rush to meet Judge Kimba Wood’s Friday deadline to complete a privilege review of over 3.7 million documents seized in the April 9 raids of Cohen’s New York properties and law office, a source representing this matter has disclosed to ABC News that the law firm handling the case for Cohen is not expected to represent him going forward.

Cohen, now with no legal representation, is likely to cooperate with federal prosecutors in New York, sources said. This development, which is believed to be imminent, will likely hit the White House, family members, staffers and counsels hard.

Other reports are that Cohen hasn't decided yet and this is a smoke signal to Trump begging for a pardon.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject:

One my colleagues is already declaring victory for the world and partying like everyone just denuclearized. I linked them a times article detailing the NK summit and somehow she came out of it thinking that Trump did something amazing. I also told her based on past history NK cannot be trusted to follow through on anything but she was having none of that. I don't know how to deal with this type of craziness.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

They are completely brainwashed. Trump could change his policy every 30 minutes, and they would just change along with him no matter what it was. You can't have a legitimate two-way discussion with these people. They are impervious to facts. Don't waste your time.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Other reports are that Cohen hasn't decided yet and this is a smoke signal to Trump begging for a pardon.

Trump can't pardon him for state charges. Cohen once said he'd jump off of a building before he'd turn on Trump. Mueller might remove the saftey net.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 935, 936, 937 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 936 of 3663
Jump to: