THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 939, 940, 941 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I think Comey is more partisan than he believes, and as such while he won't go out of his way to screw one side and not the other, it does bias his thinking IMO..

You mean other than the time he did exactly that in the last couple of days leading up to the election?

My point was he didn’t go out of his way. Giuliani and his cronies threatened to put the info if he didn’t, and he felt he had a choice of doing it by the book, and the info gets out AND he gets accused of concealing it, or put it out there and hope it doesn’t kill her chances. He made the wrong choice IMO, and he made it by putting other things in front of the rules, but I definitely don’t think it was a position he tried to be in.

I don't know that knowingly swaying the election in favor of one party to save one's own ass is made any better because he didn't go out of his way to do it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

Before trump shovels his 'I don't even know the guy' Bovine Stuff...you don't have to know the people you hire to run your campaign but you do have to vet them

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I think Comey is more partisan than he believes, and as such while he won't go out of his way to screw one side and not the other, it does bias his thinking IMO..

You mean other than the time he did exactly that in the last couple of days leading up to the election?

My point was he didn’t go out of his way. Giuliani and his cronies threatened to put the info if he didn’t, and he felt he had a choice of doing it by the book, and the info gets out AND he gets accused of concealing it, or put it out there and hope it doesn’t kill her chances. He made the wrong choice IMO, and he made it by putting other things in front of the rules, but I definitely don’t think it was a position he tried to be in.

I don't know that knowingly swaying the election in favor of one party to save one's own ass is made any better because he didn't go out of his way to do it.
why do we keep talking about swaying the election? when the reality is simple. enough dems didnt come out to vote. that was the problem. And who has polled these non voting dems and asked " was it the last comey emails thing that caused you not to shot up to vote or was it something else?" I'm not hearing millions of democratic hillary voters saying it was the emails that caused them to stay home.

It's real simple. at this point in time the GOP has to Cheat(gerrymandering, bs new voter laws to clear the roles or to make people show a zillion forms of ID, closing polls early, etc.) and pray dems dont come out to vote in order to win the white house.

They need both to happen at the same time. Just cheating alone isnt enough. This means there were not enough hillary voters in those swing states for her to win regardless of the emails.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

Judge sends Paul Manafort to jail, pending trial

LINK

Quote:
The judge emphasized to Manafort how she could not make enough rulings to keep him from speaking improperly with witnesses, after he had used multiple text messaging apps and called a potential witness on an Italian cell phone.

"This is not middle school. I can't take his cell phone," she said of Manafort. "I thought about his long and hard, Mr. Manafort. I have no appetite for this."

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
bertrome
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject:

No big deal, he was just another coffee boy.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

why do we keep talking about swaying the election? when the reality is simple. enough dems didnt come out to vote. that was the problem. And who has polled these non voting dems and asked " was it the last comey emails thing that caused you not to shot up to vote or was it something else?" I'm not hearing millions of democratic hillary voters saying it was the emails that caused them to stay home.

It's real simple. at this point in time the GOP has to Cheat(gerrymandering, bs new voter laws to clear the roles or to make people show a zillion forms of ID, closing polls early, etc.) and pray dems dont come out to vote in order to win the white house.

They need both to happen at the same time. Just cheating alone isnt enough. This means there were not enough hillary voters in those swing states for her to win regardless of the emails.

You are missing the point of this discussion entirely. It's about the motives and intentions behind reopening the issue of the Clinton emails in the final days of the election. One would have to be an absolute fool or completely disingenuous not to acknowledge that the whole point was to influence the outcome of the election - an election that all apparent indicators showed was going to be a victory by the Dems.

Now, we can debate the actual impact of that move in retrospect. But all indications since have shown that it was significant. But again, that's not the point. The reasoning and intent behind the move is what this particular discussion about. And there's no point in any further discussion with anyone who feels the need to ignore the significance of that fact.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

Jeff Sessions
Telling others following the Rule of Law is FROM GOD AND IN BIBLE
He told these religious folks that the child internment camps are precisely called for in the Bible

How many times did you say you can't recall???

https://www.google.com/search?q=jeff+sessions+don%27t+recall

May your God take vengeance on you.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

I'm conflicted about Comey. IMO what he did swayed the election but I'm not sure that was his intention. I think he was in a CYA mode. Turned out not to be good for either him or Hillary. Poor timing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Trump answered some reporter questions on his way of of WH, then stopped by Fox News reporter to answer some additional questions. Here are a few of his doozies:

Quote:
Trump says separating families at the border is "a Democratic bill... that's the law." (It is not a bill or law, it is a policy.)

They are ripping babies away from mothers and fathers and cruelly holding them hostage, but don't have the guts to actually own it so blaming on Democrats. This is evil and despicable and the people helping them by "just following orders" are just as responsible. These are international human rights violations.

Quote:
Trump again says that during the 2016 campaign, parents of Korean War veterans approached him asking for help returning remains of American soldiers who died there. (The war ended in 1953. Not possible.)

Either he can't do math (because age-wise these parents would all be dead) or he is confusing Korean war with Viet Nam war. Or he's just making up lying (bleep) like he always does, and doesn't care if it's true or could be proven false. HE JUST DOESN'T CARE.

Quote:
Trump says he wants American people to treat him like North Koreans treat totalitarian dictator Kim Jong Un.

"Hey, he's the head of a country, and he's the strong head -- he speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same."

He later said he was "joking." Make no mistake, he wishes this was a dictatorship where everyone was compelled to worship him.

Quote:
Trump dismisses controversy surrounding his salute to a North Korean general.

"I'm being respectful to the general. We have a very good relationship with North Korea... we have a really great relationship... I think it's great to give [Kim Jong Un] credibility."

He thinks it's great to legitimize the dictator of the most repressive regime on the planet, who murders his own family members and punishes disagreement with the regime by jailing the next 3 generations of that person's family, a dictator who has forced-abortions performed as punishment, and on and on and on. But hey, Trump thinks he's a very funny guy and a great negotiator!

Quote:
TRUMP criticizes professional athletes: "They're all saying, 'it has nothing to do with the flag, it's how we've been treated.' In the meantime, they're making $15 million a year... they shouldn't get the politics involved."

Says the ignorant reality TV show host turned president whose daughter and SIL just raked in $84 million in their first year in the WH through profiting off their positions.

Quote:
Trump on cutting environmental regulations: "I want the cleanest water in the world. I want the cleanest air in the world. I want that air to be so perfect. And our air now is better than it was two years ago, with all of the talk and all of the nonsense."

Straight out of 1984 - up is down and black is white. Complete lies.

Quote:
Trump on why Russia was expelled from G8: "I don't think Obama liked him."

(Russia was actually expelled for invading Ukraine.)

When is doubt, blame Obama or a Clinton (or the press, or the Dems).

Quote:
Now speaking with a gaggle of reporters, Trump falsely claims that the IG report "exonerates me."

(Not true. The report is about the FBI's handling of the Clinton email investigation!)

The report actually exonerates Clinton for the 10,000th time, but facts schmacts.

Quote:
Asked why he keeps downplaying Kim Jong Un's horrible human rights record, Trump says he's just trying to prevent nuclear war.

CLAIMS FOR 3RD TIME THAT *PARENTS OF FALLEN KOREAN WAR VETERANS* ASKED HIM DURING THE CAMPAIGN TO HELP BRING REMAINS OF THEIR CHILDREN HOME.

Actually, the way he said it made is sound like he was giving into blackmail. What could I do? They said they would nuke the U.S. into oblivion so I had to go along? Right? I'm protecting the children....

Quote:
TRUMP: "Paul Manafort worked for me for a very short period of time." Says he "feels bad" for him because the alleged crimes happened years ago. Won't rule out pardoning anybody.

Manafort, who? He was just the coffee boy. Well that was predictable.

Quote:
REPORTER: Did you dictate Don Jr's misleading statement about Trump Tower meeting?

TRUMP: "Let's not talk about it. You know what that is? It's irrelevant. It's a statement to the NYT. The phony, failing NYT. It's not a statement to a high tribunal of judges."

Translation: Yeah I lied, so what? I lie to the press all the time, big deal. (It's actually consciousness of guilt and obstruction of justice, but details details).

Quote:
Trump deflects questions about why he keeps misrepresenting the IG report and falsely claiming it exonerates him, when it in fact has nothing to do with him.

Quote:
Trump on Scott Pruitt's ever-mounting scandals: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"You want me to fire him for corruption? hahahahahahha."

Quote:
Trump blames Democrats for his administration's policy of separating immigrant families at the border, again falsely characterizes it as "a law." (It's not a law.)

He is an evil, evil man. People who can't see are creating some bad, bad karma for themselves.

Quote:
REPORTER: Why did Sessions announce the family-separation policy?

TRUMP: He's following the law.

REPORTER: It's not a law!

TRUMP: The Democrats gave us the laws. I want the laws to be beautiful.

Translation: I want a beautiful pure America with only white people as far as the eye can see.

Quote:
Trump again expresses support for Russia being readmitted go G8 and repeatedly blames President Obama for Russia invading Ukraine.

"President Obama lost Crimea. Putin didn't respect President Obama."

Putin feared Obama. Putin feared Clinton. Putin had no respect for Trump and knew he could manipulate the ignorant, vein fool. And that's why Putin helped him steal the election.

Quote:
Trump lied about his family separation policy, got fact-checked to his face, and kept lying anyway

One of the his biggest "strengths" -- HE HAS NO SHAME and that enables him to lie, lie, lie right to your face, even when you both know he's lying.

Link to reporters twitter thread with summaries and video of above

Now that my head has finished exploding, all I can think is that there are people walking around who believe the above (bleep) and still support him, along with the entire GOP Congress. And as far as I'm concerned, they are all going to hell right along with him.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm conflicted about Comey. IMO what he did swayed the election but I'm not sure that was his intention. I think he was in a CYA mode. Turned out not to be good for either him or Hillary. Poor timing.

If you can find a replay of last night's Rachel Maddow show, she went into all of this in detail. Basically, the reason the entire GOP always bashes the DOJ, FBI and Press is to bully them into bending over backwards to NOT APPEAR to favor the Democrats (or Clinton in this case) for fear of them saying, "Ah hah! You were helping her!" So Comey bent over backwards to look "impartial" and in doing so hurt Clinton (Democrats) and favored Trump (Republicans).

It's like when a high-school coach has his own son on the team. He may bend over backwards in being hard on the kid in an effort to not appear to be favoring him or giving special treatment. It's a Psych 101 thing.

Comey cared what Republicans might say after the fact, but he didn't care what Democrats might say after the fact. So he factored Republican pressure into his decision making process, and ignored any possible harm to Democrats. So in the end, his decision favored Republicans, even if he talked himself into thinking he was doing what was best. All he had to do was follow the department guidelines. Instead he substituted his flawed judgement. He feared Republican pressure and criticism more than he feared Democratic criticism (and he thought Hillary was going to win and that he could escape ALL criticism). Instead, both sides think he screwed up.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If you can find a replay of last night's Rachel Maddow show

Every RM show is uploaded the next day to her podcast stream. Available in both audio and video. Here is a link, Jodeke, for the episode CL is referencing.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

Thanks!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If you can find a replay of last night's Rachel Maddow show, she went into all of this in detail. Basically, the reason the entire GOP always bashes the DOJ, FBI and Press is to bully them into bending over backwards to NOT APPEAR to favor the Democrats (or Clinton in this case) for fear of them saying, "Ah hah! You were helping her!" So Comey bent over backwards to look "impartial" and in doing so hurt Clinton (Democrats) and favored Trump (Republicans).

It's like when a high-school coach has his own son on the team. He may bend over backwards in being hard on the kid in an effort to not appear to be favoring him or giving special treatment. It's a Psych 101 thing.

Comey cared what Republicans might say after the fact, but he didn't care what Democrats might say after the fact. So he factored Republican pressure into his decision making process, and ignored any possible harm to Democrats. So in the end, his decision favored Republicans, even if he talked himself into thinking he was doing what was best. All he had to do was follow the department guidelines. Instead he substituted his flawed judgement. He feared Republican pressure and criticism more than he feared Democratic criticism (and he thought Hillary was going to win and that he could escape ALL criticism). Instead, both sides think he screwed up.

Sums it up perfectly. Party and Pride before Correctness.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Thanks!

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

That might be because i never argued that? I was merely, technically pointing out that Comey didn't go on a partisan spree designed to hurt Hillary (I would bet a large sum of money that he would have rather had Hillary as president than Trump). He allowed his biases, including covering his own ass (ironic that Trump then fired him) to impact his judgment and very much did hurt her, and that's why I'm not a fan.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

That might be because i never argued that? I was merely, technically pointing out that Comey didn't go on a partisan spree designed to hurt Hillary (I would bet a large sum of money that he would have rather had Hillary as president than Trump). He allowed his biases, including covering his own ass (ironic that Trump then fired him) to impact his judgment and very much did hurt her, and that's why I'm not a fan.

I’m just pointing out, that at least to my mind, there’s not much distance between doing it to save one’s own ass versus going on a partisan spree. In fact, to my mind there’s something more egregious about sabotaging what you think is right and better politically in order to protect your own image. Pretty cowardly really.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I’m just pointing out, that at least to my mind, there’s not much distance between doing it to save one’s own ass versus going on a partisan spree. In fact, to my mind there’s something more egregious about sabotaging what you think is right and better politically in order to protect your own image. Pretty cowardly really.

I think that's fair. I see Comey as a guy who thinks of himself, and honestly thinks this, as a moral straight arrow who would never let bias influence his decisions, but who, at the end of the day, let his ego and his devotion to his organization and his fear of being extorted cause him to do exactly the thing he never thought he would. And he's still rationalizing it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

^^^
Fair as well.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
CNN source: Cohen telling friends and family he's willing to cooperate

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:

It's just like Trump to feel so far above the law that he doesn't take care of guys like Cohen.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

It's just like Trump to feel so far above the law that he doesn't take care of guys like Cohen.

I am beginning to think Affluenza is a real mental disorder

I find it humbling/frightening (yes it is scary) that his behavior is cheered instead of considering him to be a clown he is president.

I'm baked.. and inner reflection says whatever I hate about Trump I need to enhance the opposite of in myself.

could you imagine being a young person.. knowing you appreciate honesty and integrity and kindness and treating all as fairly and equal as you can....AND the people around you chose to promote a human being to President that FAILS in every one of those attributes???
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If you can find a replay of last night's Rachel Maddow show

Every RM show is uploaded the next day to her podcast stream. Available in both audio and video. Here is a link, Jodeke, for the episode CL is referencing.

Thanks. The video reinforced my CYA assumption. I glean he was trying to be transparent but it was one sided.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Watching Chris Hayes talking about Manafort going to jail. Asked guest what typical jail would be like for that district: Bed is a metal shelf and when lights go out the ceiling with be covered with roaches. He'll spend his first night mostly killing roaches.

#LockHerUpKarma
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I think that's fair. I see Comey as a guy who thinks of himself, and honestly thinks this, as a moral straight arrow who would never let bias influence his decisions, but who, at the end of the day, let his ego and his devotion to his organization and his fear of being extorted cause him to do exactly the thing he never thought he would. And he's still rationalizing it.

I think you're 100% correct on this. Terrible end result for all of us, unfortunately
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Watching Chris Hayes talking about Manafort going to jail. Asked guest what typical jail would be like for that district: Bed is a metal shelf and when lights go out the ceiling with be covered with roaches. He'll spend his first night mostly killing roaches.

#LockHerUpKarma

Well, you know what they say about Karma...long way from $7000 suits and millions spent on Persian rugs to a metal shelf and roaches.

I hope before this all ends that many of the "lock her up" crowd are locked up as well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 939, 940, 941 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 940 of 3673
Jump to: