THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 954, 955, 956 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Worth noting that one of the key ways you make a dog social with other dogs is to introduce it to “foreign” dogs repeatedly and early. Dogs who don’t have this interaction at key early developmental periods tend to be harder to socialize later. Humans are not incredibly different. Those who are introduced to other cultures at young developmental ages tend to be far less xenophobic than those who are not.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Journalist Liz Plank Believes the Media Was Baited by Melania Trump's Zara Jacket. "The FLOTUS office saying they're confused about why the media is covering the jacket is gaslighting 101."

Quote:
On Thursday, when images surfaced of Melania Trump wearing a Zara jacket featuring the words "I REALLY DON'T CARE, DO U?" en route to a Texas migrant detention center, members of the press immediately began reporting on the jacket, calling it "tone-deaf", "inappropriate", and worse, a declaration that she truly doesn't care about the plight of families being ripped apart by deportation and bans.

The media's coverage of the jacket was met with strong criticism from FLOTUS Director of Communications, Stephanie Grisham, who claimed reporters were improperly focusing on the jacket instead of the migrant children. Yesterday, Grisham tweeted, "Today’s visit w the children in Texas impacted @flotus greatly. If media would spend their time & energy on her actions & efforts to help kids - rather than speculate & focus on her wardrobe - we could get so much accomplished on behalf of children. #SheCares #ItsJustAJacket."

Quote:
In the hours following Grisham's response, journalist Liz Plank shared a powerful message, calling the jacket a publicity stunt made by the Trump administration to bait journalists into appearing unconcerned with migrant children. Her lengthy Instagram response focused on the administration's alleged plan to discredit the media, and distract audiences from the horrors taking place at migrant centers. As an outspoken critic of Trump's administration in the past — so much so that she was blocked from Donald Trump's Twitter — Plank's message garnered a lot of support and, once again, brought up the issue of how media should responsibly report on the Trump administration.

Quote:
Liz Plank: When I first saw a photo of the jacket, it was through a tweet from Jim Acosta, a reporter I really respect who is doing incredible work at CNN. I was aghast. As I was preparing to join the chorus of voices who were disgusted and outraged, I kept rereading the FLOTUS spokesperson's response, where she specifically states "I hope the media isn't going to choose to focus on her wardrobe" and something just didn't sit right. I kept staring at it and, suddenly, [it] just clicked. I looked away from my phone to my computer screen and saw Melania Trump was trending on Twitter and whispered to myself: It worked. They did this on purpose. They want us to cover the jacket so that they can blame the media for covering the jacket and call us fake news. This keeps Trump's base enraged at the media and mistrusting of us.

They were trolling the media (and us) on purpose in order to flip it around and blame the media for pointing out the jacket. They wanted to take the focus away from the appalling policy of kidnapping children from their parents with no plan of returning them, while having another excuse to bash the media.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
jodeke wrote:
This administration is revealing just how racial the country. I have questions about our representatives. Are they also racists? It's unnerving.

Ever go to a dog park? Dogs of all breeds get along.

Humans have to be taught racism imho

Trump is telling them to be racists even more than they already are

Putin is winning is all I can say and I hope Trump gets the electric chair <<via ALL due legal processes

only with old sparky...nothing but the best for the man with the gold toilet

nothing but the best...

Reportedly, six-inch flames shot out of Tafero's head and 12-inch flames shot out of Medina's head, raising the question whether use of the electric chair was cruel and unusual punishment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Sparky
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Username wrote:
An illegal immigrant should be allowed to stay in our country, on taxpayers dime, awaiting a court date merely because they decided to climb a border fence and enter our country illegally.

Nowhere does it state in the Constitution that an illegal immigrant has the right to due process.

Most of these people are seeking asylum and are trying to turn themselves over legally. Google it. It's a completely different thing than illegal immigration.

Just because Trump tries to conflate the two in order to race bait, doesn't absolve you from educating yourself on what is actually happening versus his lies.

And here's what esteemed Law Professor Lawrence Tribe has to say about due process:

Quote:
Laurence Tribe Verified account @tribelaw

Claiming that those crossing the border illegally should have no due process or a judicial hearing before deportation is wrong as a matter of constitutional law. Due process applies to all persons in the US, including those here unlawfully.

nominee for post of the year imo... bravo
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
An illegal immigrant should be allowed to stay in our country, on taxpayers dime, awaiting a court date merely because they decided to climb a border fence and enter our country illegally.

Nowhere does it state in the Constitution that an illegal immigrant has the right to due process.

I beg to differ. The constitution doesn’t separate citizens from non when it comes to due process. This was the whole issue with the “enemy combatants” being sentenced to Guantanamo, because if they were brought to the US they’d have the right to due process.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Worth noting that one of the key ways you make a dog social with other dogs is to introduce it to “foreign” dogs repeatedly and early. Dogs who don’t have this interaction at key early developmental periods tend to be harder to socialize later. Humans are not incredibly different. Those who are introduced to other cultures at young developmental ages tend to be far less xenophobic than those who are not.

It's one of the reasons that cities (usually more racially diverse) tend to be more progressive and rural areas (mostly white) tends to be more conservative. It's also why a college education can help somewhat (young people move to the big city and go to college with other races).

Trump's biggest support group is non-college educated white males.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Yes. Seventy percent of whites were found to have no significant relationships with people of color, and people who live in rural areas and who were born near where they live voted overwhelmingly for trump. I suspect in a Venn diagram, those two circles would overlap considerably. It’s not that the world doesn’t understand the trump voter, it’s that the trump voter doesn’t understand the world outside of a narrow, insular slice of it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Mark Hamill retweeted this one (it would be funny if it weren't true):

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

^ how did this story leak out? better investigate and if we don't like the answer we'll investigate the investigators
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Mark Hamill retweeted this one (it would be funny if it weren't true):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgfG1CzUwAABaud.jpg

I am beginning to be afraid
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

This is part of why due process is crucial to democracy:

Quote:
Ronald Klain Verified account @RonaldKlain

If Trump can deny due process to those allegedly here unlawfully, ICE can grab YOU, allege you aren’t a citizen & deport you w/out a hearing

With no due process, you never get to the point at which you can prove you are a citizen. By the way, ICE is already grabbing people up (who are citizens) and detaining them. The only way they get released is because they get a hearing. The other day they closed down the main Interstate in Maine (south of the Canadian border) and stopped every vehicle checking for proof of citizenship:

Border patrol agents are stopping people on highways in New England to check their citizenship
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Border patrol agents are stopping people on highways in New England to check their citizenship[/url]

I'm getting the sad image of James Taylor trying to write this into the lyrics of Sweet Baby James back in the day...

Now the first of December was covered with snow
So was the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston
The Border patrol agents are stopping people on highways
With ten miles behind me and ten thousand more agents more to go
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
This is part of why due process is crucial to democracy:

Quote:
Ronald Klain Verified account @RonaldKlain

If Trump can deny due process to those allegedly here unlawfully, ICE can grab YOU, allege you aren’t a citizen & deport you w/out a hearing

With no due process, you never get to the point at which you can prove you are a citizen. By the way, ICE is already grabbing people up (who are citizens) and detaining them. The only way they get released is because they get a hearing. The other day they closed down the main Interstate in Maine (south of the Canadian border) and stopped every vehicle checking for proof of citizenship:

Border patrol agents are stopping people on highways in New England to check their citizenship

This? How easily are these people talked into doing things they know really don't feel right? What was the movie.....
The Stanford Prison Experiment.. TRUE story
The Milgram Experiment

SO..... How to stop him? Like.. 2 years will be here real fast.. this is too crazy..
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

What Trump has revealed about America is that despite its proclamation of democratic values, there is a healthy appetite for Authoritarian Rule. They may not want to call it that, but as long as there's some benefit (real or perceived) to them, they're fine with it.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

They've all been caught....poor kid.. couldn't imagine America has neighborhoods like this

**There is video.. I have not watched.. necessity that is must be part of news cycle. phew!
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/06/24/lesandro-guzman-feliz-justiceforjunior/

Quote:
Leandra says her son, also known as Junior, left their apartment to lend someone $5 but never came back.

“I called him because I feel like ‘you take too long. I said come on, come on’,” the teen’s mother told CBS2. “He said ‘oh yeah mommy, it’s okay I give him the five dollars, it’s okay I’m coming home’.”

Pause...

Why are gangs permitted to flourish like this?

I visited Los Angeles as still a bumpkin.. bars on windows and bulletproof drive thrus were creepy to me
*Bumpkin person from rural or smallller city

Very lucky donald didn't start yelling about this on his Twitter
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

This was from last year but still relevant for some of our posters who believe the administration's propaganda and lies:

NYT: Trump Administration Rejects Study Showing Positive Impact of Refugees

Quote:
Trump administration officials, under pressure from the White House to provide a rationale for reducing the number of refugees allowed into the United States next year, rejected a study by the Department of Health and Human Services that found that refugees brought in $63 billion more in government revenues over the past decade than they cost.

The draft report, which was obtained by The New York Times, contradicts a central argument made by advocates of deep cuts in refugee totals as President Trump faces an Oct. 1 deadline to decide on an allowable number. The issue has sparked intense debate within his administration as opponents of the program, led by Mr. Trump’s chief policy adviser, Stephen Miller, assert that continuing to welcome refugees is too costly and raises concerns about terrorism.

Advocates of the program inside and outside the administration say refugees are a major benefit to the United States, paying more in taxes than they consume in public benefits, and filling jobs in service industries that others will not. But research documenting their fiscal upside — prepared for a report mandated by Mr. Trump in a March presidential memorandum implementing his travel ban — never made its way to the White House. Some of those proponents believe the report was suppressed.

The internal study, which was completed in late July but never publicly released, found that refugees “contributed an estimated $269.1 billion in revenues to all levels of government” between 2005 and 2014 through the payment of federal, state and local taxes. “Overall, this report estimated that the net fiscal impact of refugees was positive over the 10-year period, at $63 billion.”

This is the anti-facts, pro-racism administration.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
This was from last year but still relevant for some of our posters who believe the administration's propaganda and lies:

NYT: Trump Administration Rejects Study Showing Positive Impact of Refugees

Quote:
Trump administration officials, under pressure from the White House to provide a rationale for reducing the number of refugees allowed into the United States next year, rejected a study by the Department of Health and Human Services that found that refugees brought in $63 billion more in government revenues over the past decade than they cost.

The draft report, which was obtained by The New York Times, contradicts a central argument made by advocates of deep cuts in refugee totals as President Trump faces an Oct. 1 deadline to decide on an allowable number. The issue has sparked intense debate within his administration as opponents of the program, led by Mr. Trump’s chief policy adviser, Stephen Miller, assert that continuing to welcome refugees is too costly and raises concerns about terrorism.

Advocates of the program inside and outside the administration say refugees are a major benefit to the United States, paying more in taxes than they consume in public benefits, and filling jobs in service industries that others will not. But research documenting their fiscal upside — prepared for a report mandated by Mr. Trump in a March presidential memorandum implementing his travel ban — never made its way to the White House. Some of those proponents believe the report was suppressed.

The internal study, which was completed in late July but never publicly released, found that refugees “contributed an estimated $269.1 billion in revenues to all levels of government” between 2005 and 2014 through the payment of federal, state and local taxes. “Overall, this report estimated that the net fiscal impact of refugees was positive over the 10-year period, at $63 billion.”

This is the anti-facts, pro-racism administration.

the problem is not far away in D.C. it's right next door ...maybe even a friend
maybe we should label them what they are...deplorable
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
What Trump has revealed about America is that despite its proclamation of democratic values, there is a healthy appetite for Authoritarian Rule. They may not want to call it that, but as long as there's some benefit (real or perceived) to them, they're fine with it.

John Dean wrote a book about it over a decade ago, “Conservatives Without Conscience.” (NYT Review link)

Quote:
The book draws heavily on the work of the social psychologist Bob Altemeyer, the creator of a scale for measuring “right-wing authoritarian” (R.W.A.) tendencies. Dean writes that Altemeyer is “not given to hyperbole in his scholarly work,” yet quotes him as saying that many “High R.W.A.’s” would “attack France, Massachusetts or the moon if the president said it was necessary ‘for freedom.’ ” Altemeyer says it’s “a scientifically established fact” that political, religious and economic conservatives are High R.W.A.’s, and Dean concludes that our government “is run by an array of authoritarian personalities” who are “dominating, opposed to equality, desirous of personal power, amoral, intimidating . . . vengeful, pitiless, exploitive, manipulative, dishonest, cheaters, prejudiced, meanspirited, militant, nationalistic and two-faced.” The estimated 20 to 25 percent of High R.W.A.’s among us, he warns, “will take American democracy where no freedom-loving person would want it to go.”

Sound familiar? #Nostradamus
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

yes some people like authoritarian rule, i mean if you think the country should be even more religious, i think it's natural you'd want a religious leader, moral, spiritual leader, even if the leadership is inept, the morals bankrupt, and the spirit corrupted and evil.

the melanie story certainly rings true i mean didn't pence go to a football game just to walk out, and matt schlapp and his wife get up to protest the WHCD which entailed leaving 10 minutes early to go to the nbc afterparty lol

this is faux outrage and part and parcel of the gaslighting
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject:

What kind of a people are we to deserve to find out

Melania is just as vile and deplorable as donald...we didn't need to know this

Many thought Baron might have a chance like Tiffany.. looks like Melania and donald are made for each other and Baron will hope to be heir to the GEOTUS
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Even though it seems like the racially resentful people are a majority, they are not:

Gallup Poll June 2018: Record-High 75% of Americans Say Immigration Is Good Thing

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- A record-high 75% of Americans, including majorities of all party groups, think immigration is a good thing for the U.S. -- up slightly from 71% last year. Just 19% of the public considers immigration a bad thing.

Quote:
Three-quarters of Americans think immigration is a good thing
65% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents agree
39% say immigration should be kept at present level, 28% say increased

From the chart it looks like Democrats are at about 85%.

Sadly, if they re-worded the poll question and asked Republicans, "Do you agree with President Trump on immigration?" they would compulsively say yes.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Journalist Liz Plank Believes the Media Was Baited by Melania Trump's Zara Jacket. "The FLOTUS office saying they're confused about why the media is covering the jacket is gaslighting 101."

Quote:
On Thursday, when images surfaced of Melania Trump wearing a Zara jacket featuring the words "I REALLY DON'T CARE, DO U?" en route to a Texas migrant detention center, members of the press immediately began reporting on the jacket, calling it "tone-deaf", "inappropriate", and worse, a declaration that she truly doesn't care about the plight of families being ripped apart by deportation and bans.

The media's coverage of the jacket was met with strong criticism from FLOTUS Director of Communications, Stephanie Grisham, who claimed reporters were improperly focusing on the jacket instead of the migrant children. Yesterday, Grisham tweeted, "Today’s visit w the children in Texas impacted @flotus greatly. If media would spend their time & energy on her actions & efforts to help kids - rather than speculate & focus on her wardrobe - we could get so much accomplished on behalf of children. #SheCares #ItsJustAJacket."

Quote:
In the hours following Grisham's response, journalist Liz Plank shared a powerful message, calling the jacket a publicity stunt made by the Trump administration to bait journalists into appearing unconcerned with migrant children. Her lengthy Instagram response focused on the administration's alleged plan to discredit the media, and distract audiences from the horrors taking place at migrant centers. As an outspoken critic of Trump's administration in the past — so much so that she was blocked from Donald Trump's Twitter — Plank's message garnered a lot of support and, once again, brought up the issue of how media should responsibly report on the Trump administration.

Quote:
Liz Plank: When I first saw a photo of the jacket, it was through a tweet from Jim Acosta, a reporter I really respect who is doing incredible work at CNN. I was aghast. As I was preparing to join the chorus of voices who were disgusted and outraged, I kept rereading the FLOTUS spokesperson's response, where she specifically states "I hope the media isn't going to choose to focus on her wardrobe" and something just didn't sit right. I kept staring at it and, suddenly, [it] just clicked. I looked away from my phone to my computer screen and saw Melania Trump was trending on Twitter and whispered to myself: It worked. They did this on purpose. They want us to cover the jacket so that they can blame the media for covering the jacket and call us fake news. This keeps Trump's base enraged at the media and mistrusting of us.

They were trolling the media (and us) on purpose in order to flip it around and blame the media for pointing out the jacket. They wanted to take the focus away from the appalling policy of kidnapping children from their parents with no plan of returning them, while having another excuse to bash the media.

Great post, thanks for sharing, CL.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

More from the Moron-In-Chief:

NYT: Trump Calls for Depriving Immigrants Who Illegally Cross Border of Due Process Rights

Quote:
President Trump unleashed an aggressive attack Sunday on unauthorized immigrants and the judicial system that handles them, saying that those who cross into the United States illegally should be sent back immediately without due process or an appearance before a judge.

Quote:
It was another twist in a head-spinning series of developments on immigration since the administration announced a “zero tolerance” policy two months ago, leading to the separation of children from parents who cross the border illegally and an outcry from Democrats and many Republicans.

Quote:
Still, the president, who has always dug his heels in when criticized, has not backed back down from his hard-line talk, even amid a national outcry over a detainment policy that has resulted in the separation of more than 2,300 children from their families.

He has instead gone on the offensive, complaining to aides about why he could not just create an overarching executive order to solve the problem, according to two people familiar with the deliberations. Aides have had to explain to the president why a comprehensive immigration overhaul is beyond the reach of his executive powers.

And privately, the president has groused that he should not have signed the order undoing separations.

Quote:
Mr. Trump’s tweets on Sunday threw new legal questions into the puzzle. Laurence H. Tribe, a constitutional law professor at Harvard, said in an email that the Supreme Court has repeatedly held that “the due process requirements of the Fifth and 14th Amendments apply to all persons, including those in the U.S. unlawfully.”

“Trump is making the tyrannical claim that he has the right to serve as prosecutor, judge and jury with respect to all those who enter our country,” Mr. Tribe said. “That is a breathtaking assertion of unbounded power — power without any plausible limit.”
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

NYT: Trump Calls for Depriving Immigrants Who Illegally Cross Border of Due Process Rights

Quote:
President Trump unleashed an aggressive attack Sunday on unauthorized immigrants and the judicial system that handles them, saying that those who cross into the United States illegally should be sent back immediately without due process or an appearance before a judge.

Quote:
It was another twist in a head-spinning series of developments on immigration since the administration announced a “zero tolerance” policy two months ago, leading to the separation of children from parents who cross the border illegally and an outcry from Democrats and many Republicans.

Quote:
Still, the president, who has always dug his heels in when criticized, has not backed back down from his hard-line talk, even amid a national outcry over a detainment policy that has resulted in the separation of more than 2,300 children from their families.

He has instead gone on the offensive, complaining to aides about why he could not just create an overarching executive order to solve the problem, according to two people familiar with the deliberations. Aides have had to explain to the president why a comprehensive immigration overhaul is beyond the reach of his executive powers.

And privately, the president has groused that he should not have signed the order undoing separations.

Quote:
Mr. Trump’s tweets on Sunday threw new legal questions into the puzzle. Laurence H. Tribe, a constitutional law professor at Harvard, said in an email that the Supreme Court has repeatedly held that “the due process requirements of the Fifth and 14th Amendments apply to all persons, including those in the U.S. unlawfully.”

“Trump is making the tyrannical claim that he has the right to serve as prosecutor, judge and jury with respect to all those who enter our country,” Mr. Tribe said. “That is a breathtaking assertion of unbounded power — power without any plausible limit.”

he's playing to his base. they're eating this garbage up.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

he's playing to his base. they're eating this garbage up.

Banon predicts that base is so strong that republicans that oppose his immigration policies may lose their seats to other republicans? SS
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 954, 955, 956 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 955 of 3663
Jump to: