THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1028, 1029, 1030 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
governator wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Where is the proof of Trump gaining new support in Blacks and Latinos? (cause it sounds insane)

Oldlakersfan, where you get this from?

FoxNews, Breitbart, Drudge Report, Trump's speeches/tweets. Take your pick among the wackos.

This might explain a bit, Oldlakersfan, care to provide a link to your statistic?

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Donald-Trump-Jr-Instagram-fake-approval-rating-13147751.php

Donald Trump Jr. deleted a doctored image of his father's approval from his Instagram page on Friday.

The image, which was altered to show President Trump's approval rating at 50 percent, was posted on Wednesday night and Instagram users immediately decried it as a fake.

A number of users left comments reading "fake," or "photoshopped," but Trump Jr. didn't delete the photo until Friday.

The original image was from a CNN segment on Monday, and showed President Trump's approval rating at 40 percent, compared to former President Obama's 45 percent approval rating at this point in his presidency.

RASMUSSEN POLL: Trump Approval Ratings Among Black Voters 29%! This Time Last Year: 15%

https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1025071229835927554

This is where it was reported.

I am surprised

(twitter blocked at work but I think this is the poll you posted:)

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/social_issues/voters_think_young_blacks_doing_better_under_trump_than_obama

Even black voters are nearly twice as likely (28%) to say young black Americans are better off now than they were in the closing year of Obama’s presidency (15%).

Don't be. If you want a poll to go a certain way all you have to do is ask the right people the right questions.

and lets say we didnt even get the point you made which is a very valid point.

lets address this
Quote:
Even black voters are nearly twice as likely (28%) to say young black Americans are better off now than they were in the closing year of Obama’s presidency (15%).

a president's economics will last years after his/her presidency. do people not understand this? So things put in place in 2015 can last until and even after 2018. Just like this big trump tax break for the rich wont kill us today it may hurt us in 10 years.

There is nothing that trump has done in this short time that has turned the economy around for young black people. Now are young black people better off in 2018 then they were in 2015? possibly. and a lot of that would be more due to obama's policies and things he could get passed before he left office which had to do with jobs and economics.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
KingJamesLakers23 wrote:
Is there anyone here who can list what democrats winning message/agenda/platform is to win midterm elections?

So far I've heard higher taxes from Pelosi. Abolish ice from Cortez and impeach Trump from Maxine.

Is there anything else?

There is some debate on this. Here are my personal issues, many of which align with Sanders and Acasio-Cortez:

Medicare for all
No more war unless absolutely necessary...bring our boys home.
Medicare for all
End private prisons
Medicare for all
Getting big money out of politics
Medicare for all
Restore Glass Steagall
Medicare for all
Protect and expand social security.

Oh yeah, and Medicare for all! The Koch brothers commissioned a study that accidentally revealed that we could conservatively save 2 trillion dollars over ten years while insuring everybody in America by switching to Medicare for all. In other words, we will spend less than we are spending now to cover everyone in America.

agreed on all points. Would add restructure the tax system to make it fair. The middle class should not be paying a higher percentage than the wealthy. That’s just ridiculous. And re-industrialize the country, not through tariffs, which don’t work, but through stronger unions, co-ops at some level. Can’t be this dependent on a foreign power. Right now, China can dump the dollar and we’re finished.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

Inflation at 2.9%. Higher than the wage increases.
Companies blaming tariffs for not hiring more people and not increasing pay for current employees.
Most of the stocks I'm in right now are doing buybacks with their tax breaks.
Trickle down economics doesn't work for the non 1%.
Trump's tax plan will worsen income inequality the longer it is law. And the whole country will suffer when consumer spending eventually flat lines.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

Trump had another Twitter meltdown this morning. Among other things, calling Omarosa a crazy lowlife dog (projection much?) and the usual Russia witch hunt nonsense attacking DOJ, FBI, Mueller, Hillary, Obama and the Democrats. They all conspired to frame him! Nothing is ever his fault. Oh, and he wants you to know he never used the N-word and his ex-business partner will vouch for him.

Whoever still supports this turd should hang their head in shame.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
a president's economics will last years after his/her presidency. do people not understand this?

I remember reading an article where a woman gushed over how Trumpcare saved her husband's life....in February 2017.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
a president's economics will last years after his/her presidency. do people not understand this?

I remember reading an article where a woman gushed over how Trumpcare saved her husband's life....in February 2017.
see...see. I can't even...Republicans are always trying to take people's right to vote away by any means necessary. They need to take their own constituents ability to vote away.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

see...see. I can't even...Republicans are always trying to take people's right to vote away by any means necessary. They need to take their own constituents ability to vote away.

This makes a lot more sense. I was surprised at the poll. Living in the northeast, haven't met a black person that is now supporting Trump when he/she wasn't before this year
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
8h8 hours ago
More
When you give a crazed, crying lowlife a break, and give her a job at the White House, I guess it just didn’t work out. Good work by General Kelly for quickly firing that dog!

49,742 replies 15,071 retweets 60,876 likes
Reply 50K Retweet

BUT...BUT...BUT.....Omarosa has a tape with him saying he didn't love her leaving.

Omarosa Manigault Newman reveals recording she made of Trump day after she was fired

LINK

Quote:
"Omarosa? Omarosa what's going on? I just saw on the news that you're thinking about leaving? What happened?" Trump is heard saying on the tape, which Manigault Newman said was made when the president call her one day after her termination in December last year.

She responds, "General Kelly came to me and said that you guys wanted me to leave."

"Nobody even told me about it," Trump replies.

Manigault Newman then says, "Wow," before Trump reiterates his shock.

"You know they run a big operation, but I didn't know it,” Trump is heard saying on the tape. "I didn't know that. (bleep) it. I don't love you leaving at all."

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Now Omarosa is saying Trump knew about hacked emails and WikiLeaks releases before it was public. And that she'll talk to Mueller.

Not that she has much credibility, but it does help explain Trump's unhinged tweetstorm as he tried to head her off by calling her a crazed lowlife dog.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Spoiler alert: Because the fish rots from the head down.

Washington Post: Why are so many people Trump hires corrupt, incompetent and immoral?

Quote:
Now let’s remind ourselves of something. One of the rationales that businesspeople always offer when they run for office is that unlike career politicians, they can bring their hard-nosed business sense to government, including in hiring. Instead of bringing on a bunch of cronies, with their commitment to efficiency and results they’ll hire the best people for the job. This is what Trump himself said in 2016 when he was asked by a hedge fund manager what criteria he would use to select members of his administration:

Quote:
There’s a fundamental fallacy at work in this argument even when it’s offered by an ordinary businessperson. It’s the widely held belief that effectiveness in government requires no relevant knowledge or experience and is only a matter of the business mind-set or things such as “common sense.” The truth, however, is just the opposite: Public policy, which combines intricate practical challenges with unpredictable political situations, is often far more complex than anything a corporate CEO ever has to deal with.

Which is why people with experience in politics and government are usually the best ones for the job, because they’re the ones who actually understand how it all works. If a politician brings with her a group of aides who have spent a couple of decades by her side as she climbs the ladder, you can call them “cronies,” but there’s also a good chance that they have the preparation necessary to do what’s asked of them when they get the opportunity to exercise power.

Quote:
And if the outsider in question is Trump, it’s much worse. Not only has he failed to find the best people; he attracts the most corrupt and incompetent people around, who see in Trump a vehicle to wet their own beaks or at the very least carry out a retrograde agenda in an environment where ethical behavior is actively discouraged.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Spoiler alert: Because the fish rots from the head down.

Washington Post: Why are so many people Trump hires corrupt, incompetent and immoral?

Quote:
Now let’s remind ourselves of something. One of the rationales that businesspeople always offer when they run for office is that unlike career politicians, they can bring their hard-nosed business sense to government, including in hiring. Instead of bringing on a bunch of cronies, with their commitment to efficiency and results they’ll hire the best people for the job. This is what Trump himself said in 2016 when he was asked by a hedge fund manager what criteria he would use to select members of his administration:

Quote:
There’s a fundamental fallacy at work in this argument even when it’s offered by an ordinary businessperson. It’s the widely held belief that effectiveness in government requires no relevant knowledge or experience and is only a matter of the business mind-set or things such as “common sense.” The truth, however, is just the opposite: Public policy, which combines intricate practical challenges with unpredictable political situations, is often far more complex than anything a corporate CEO ever has to deal with.

Which is why people with experience in politics and government are usually the best ones for the job, because they’re the ones who actually understand how it all works. If a politician brings with her a group of aides who have spent a couple of decades by her side as she climbs the ladder, you can call them “cronies,” but there’s also a good chance that they have the preparation necessary to do what’s asked of them when they get the opportunity to exercise power.

Quote:
And if the outsider in question is Trump, it’s much worse. Not only has he failed to find the best people; he attracts the most corrupt and incompetent people around, who see in Trump a vehicle to wet their own beaks or at the very least carry out a retrograde agenda in an environment where ethical behavior is actively discouraged.

The public and private sectors have different mindsets and goals. As a public employee, your there to serve the public good, putting public safety, or in this case the welfare of the nation the number one priority.

Private or business people are trained to make a profit, that’s they’re main and really only goal.

As we know these two aims commonly don’t coincide. You really have to change your mindset when you jump from one sector to the other.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Now Omarosa is saying Trump knew about hacked emails and WikiLeaks releases before it was public. And that she'll talk to Mueller.

Not that she has much credibility, but it does help explain Trump's unhinged tweetstorm as he tried to head her off by calling her a crazed lowlife dog.

I'm glad we've avoided Omarosa as much as we have in this thread.
All her allegations are believable due to Trump's lack of character/integrity. But she's too much of an opportunist for me to believe anything that comes out of her mouth. Good or bad.
But we'll see what tapes get released. I guess she has more.
Quote:
‘People are terrified’: Trump staffers live in fear of Omarosa’s next tape

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/14/white-house-staff-omarosa-tapes-777490
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject:

Yeah. That's the only way I believe anything she says. If she has actual physical proof. Otherwise, it's a liar lying about another liar whose lying lawyer will lie about.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

Omarosa is an ideal opponent for Trump. She's of his ilk. They're both RTV personalities who use lies to sell their product. She, like Donald, plays in the mud. Unlike some of Trump antagonists she doesn't mind taking the low road.

Say what you will about Omarosa, she's backing her allegations with tapes. How can you not believe something you hear? Who among you here are of the Trump school (Don't believe what you read or what you hear. That is Fake News and Lies. Believe what I tell you)

I believe she's selling her book but she's also authenticating her claims. I'll not buy the book and I don't think it's going to change many minds. I don't think it will move the needle because Trumpsters are set in their ways. They don't care he's a snake oil salesman.

My hope is the book will make some get off the couch and go to the polls. It may get some to register and vote. I don't see it being a harm. I think it has more positives than negatives.

She's pissing The Donald off because she's stealing his headlines.

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

Man, we need to move on from Omarosa
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Why???

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

More and more Democratic candidates are rejecting money from PACs funded by big corporations or industry groups.
Beto O'Rourke raised over 23 million dollars this cycle without a PAC.
But there is bad news too.
Quote:
Democratic National Committee Backtracks On Its Ban Of Fossil Fuel Donations

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dnc-fossil-fuel-donations_us_5b6dddd4e4b0530743c9ca67

Barack had plenty of funding via small donations. Not taking corporate PAC $ was a big + for him among liberal and progressive voters in 2008 and 2012.

What makes backtracking on the fossil fuel ban extra stupid is: the DNC hasn't accepted any PAC money from Fossil Fuel interests (like Exxon, Mobil, etc.).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
More and more Democratic candidates are rejecting money from PACs funded by big corporations or industry groups.
Quote:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dnc-fossil-fuel-donations_us_5b6dddd4e4b0530743c9ca67

Barack had plenty of funding via small donations. Not taking corporate PAC $ was a big + for him among liberal and progressive voters in 2008 and 2012.

What makes backtracking on the fossil fuel ban extra stupid is: the DNC hasn't accepted any PAC money from Fossil Fuel interests (like Exxon, Mobil, etc.).

What would happen if a candidate accepted the money and then didn't do what he/she promised?

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:

Why???

Whatever she's saying about Trump, we already know about. If there was truly grave concern, she would've broke the news when it happened. Move on
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:

Why???

Whatever she's saying about Trump, we already know about. If there was truly grave concern, she would've broke the news when it happened. Move on

It's been proven Trump is a racist, misogynistic, homophobic, narcissist, to label a few, (Y) Nothing's going to change, Donald is Donald.

I think she's trying to sell a book. However she's making The Donald squirm.

Manigault Newman and Michael Avenatti are also getting under Trumps orange epidermis and I'm loving it.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

What makes backtracking on the fossil fuel ban extra stupid is: the DNC hasn't accepted any PAC money from Fossil Fuel interests (like Exxon Mobil).

What would happen if a candidate accepted the money and then didn't do what he/she promised?

Not sure I've ever seen that done.
Every politician feels beholden to their big donators. Sure, maybe the politician doesn't fulfill their promises on time or how it was planned originally. But they normally "make good" on their promises eventually. So they can get $ for their next election.
That's why the Supreme Court calling $ speech and calling corporations people is a huge problem (which won't be fixed anytime soon).
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

What would it take for our country to switch to a popular vote for President?
Would a bunch of states have to ratify? Or something like that?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

LINK

Quote:
A switch to the popular vote would require a constitutional amendment, which requires a two-thirds vote in the House and Senate and support from three-fourths of state legislatures.

But, Gore said, an effort known as the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is gaining steam and he thinks it could lead to the end of the Electoral College within the next decade.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

LINK

Quote:
A switch to the popular vote would require a constitutional amendment, which requires a two-thirds vote in the House and Senate and support from three-fourths of state legislatures.

But, Gore said, an effort known as the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is gaining steam and he thinks it could lead to the end of the Electoral College within the next decade.

No way. As currently counted, a vote from conservative voter from a less populated states counts more than a vote from a lefty from a more populated states... The GOP would never let this changed
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

LINK

Quote:

No way. As currently counted, a vote from conservative voter from a less populated states counts more than a vote from a lefty from a more populated states... The GOP would never let this changed

it will never happen within our lifetimes, but there are many liberal/Democrat majority states that would also oppose it. The majority of states would not cede that level of power to California, Texas, New York and Florida. Would need 34 states......would not even get 10 in the end.

Last edited by adkindo on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1028, 1029, 1030 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 1029 of 3673
Jump to: