THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1035, 1036, 1037 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject:

NSFW Richard Pryor

As a kid my Mom sometimes played RP LPs and some Cosby

Anyhow.. I was thinking of the word Justice just now and in pops Pryor saying something that sort of struck me as a kid..

"You go down there looking for Justice... That's what you find, Just Us" referring to people of color

Timed at the moment he says it..

When-Who is gonna change it
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I'm sorry Trump supporters, you shouldn't even trust this guy to watch your kids for 5 minutes much less occupy the oval office. On top of everything else, his brain function is obviously deteriorating rapidly.

We desperately need a younger generation in leadership roles in government. Honestly, it scares the (bleep) out of me when people on the wrong side of 70 are leading things. There should be a mandatory retirement age for all politicians, including judges.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Let me be clear about my angle here.....I did not vote for Trump.....I do not like Trump....he often says things that I find to be an embarrassment to the office he holds, and on top of that I am not crazy about some of his policies. At the same time, I am not please about what took place in the Justice Department since 2016, and I am 99% sure that there was no collusion with the Russian government. In a sense, I feel like a conservative without a home, but I also have never felt more free to speak my truth. I feel strongly that more damage is being done to this country by the actions of those in the Obama Justice department in his final months than could ever be accomplished by policies that could get through Congress and the current administration.

Right up until there you sounded rational, then it all went off the tracks straight into Fox News/Right Wing disinformation talking points.

that is the issue of the day....my opinion, my source of news, my talking points are rational......anyone who does not share my opinion, gets news from a different source, and has different talking points equates to irrational.

I could provide 100's of points to support my thoughts.....and I am sure you would have 100's of rebuttals for those points. It is probably in both of our best interests, and the value of our time to just acknowledge we disagree.....or strongly disagree in some areas of all that makes up the special council investigation.

I will say this.....if Mueller finds material acts of collusion involving the president......I will be pleased. If Mueller does not find material acts of collusion involving the president, I will still be pleased. I do not get the feeling most liberals can make that claim.....I actually think my dear mother may lose her mind if Mueller finds no evidence against Trump.

Then it's simple. Provide your 100% facts.
he will and they will come from......(drum roll please).... Fox news, other fox news-ish websites and radio stations.

This is my thing now dealing with these type of people. how can we every have a real conversation when I know for a fact the message you are speaking #1 isnt your own, and #2 isnt true at all. How do you talk to a person like that? It makes you feel like you're talking to someone in a mental institution. You say one thing they say something that makes zero sense. you can't believe that they are sounding this off because you know they are as old as you are or older and you remember a time when they were really intelligent. It's sad actually. And imagine it's people's parents that are sounding like this. Brothers and sisters, best friends, etc. just talking completely crazy. Like they really dont understand they sound like some Area 51 crazy talkers when they start talking politics. not because we dont agree because it makes NO sense.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Might be fair to point out that no one would take the time and effort to mount such a concerted, relentless effort to stall, obfuscate, obstruct, and kill an investigation into affairs that never happened. Not to mention the constant need to change the story on everything (the trump tower meeting being the epitome) as each version is proven untrue.

Trump is a completely innocent victim of a massive deep state conspiracy between Obama, Clinton, FBI, DOJ, Mueller, the Democrats and Russia to install Hillary Clinton as President by keeping quiet about Trump-Russia connections before election while playing up phony email story so Trump could be elected, then subsequently framed so Hillary could finally take her rightful place as head of the Obama-Clinton cabal in 2020.

Makes perfect sense. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
i'm saying. is that what they really think? It has to be right? because if that isnt it. Then you're making stuff up as you go. And if this is what you think, you have to know "wait a second, that doesn't' make any sense.) It's like that spidey sense of "wait a second.." no longer exists with people who love fox news and the likes.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Fallout wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
I don't think people really understand what revoking security clearance does. It's not a petty thing. It's actually huge. It cuts that person off from consulting on future moves based on first hand experience. Self inflicted brain drain.

Its exactly that, cutting their income off. And he now wants to revoke a current DOJ employee? GOP is a party of spineless people.

They don't get paid for consulting or if they do it's not much. It's removing a source of experience from the field.

Just an example. McRaven asked Trump to revoke his clearance in an op ed article a couple of days ago as a show of solidarity with those who have had theirs maliciously revoked. He was in charge of JSOC which is basically the all star team of the U.S. special forces and intelligence agencies. He also ran the seal team 6 operation that killed bin Laden. He's retired but his experience is invaluable. As it stands people who are in a similar position as the ones he once held could pick up the phone and get his input on situations similar to ones he has had and as a patriot he would happily give it. Take away his clearance and that is no longer an option. You just nuked 40 years of operational experience as a resource. Now multiply it by.however many clearances he has revoked.

Now just for fun add in every unelected person who has been fired or quit because of the current administration. We're talking about literally thousands of years of experience flushed down the toilet.

Brennan is not paid well by NBC and MSNBC? How many times did the Trump administration "consult" with John Brennan? How many times in the future would the Trump Administration "consult" with John Brennan. It is a rhetorical question in that my assumption is after Brennan jumped into the arena of partisan hot takes, his service was unlikely to ever be sought by the Trump Administration. A different administration can reinstate his clearance if it feels he adds value.

Also, was mildly disgusted by the actions of many in the intelligence community after Brennan's clearance was revoked. I understand their displeasure of the administrations actions, but what was their goal in offering their clearance to be revoked? They claim they offer this great and needed value to the future security of the country, but they prefer to not offer that service to their country to make a point for the "intelligence community" at best.....a partisan political point at worst. Have whatever opinion you choose of the Trump administration or any politician, but to see former intelligence and military leaders act in such a selfish manner should be seen as a sad day for all Americans. They chose to make a point...regardless of their motivations or even its morality over serving the people of this country.

It would seem you would be using the standard trump tactic of placing blame for his actions on the reactions of others. To wit, trump has made egregious breaches of ethics, protocol, and procedure, for which he has been called to task by guys like Brennan, as he should be in a free democracy. So he then seeks to undermine them (and their ability to assist the investigation of him, remember that every guy in the list is a likely witness), removes them from the brain bank (they are consulted often by their successors btw), and then gets rebuked in an honorary show of solidarity (the idea here isn’t to get their security clearances revoked, but to demonstrate how far and wide and serious the support is), and you go after them.

I applaud you on your brilliant ability to include subtle statements that appear correct, but you have absolutely zero knowledge of their accuracy. You have no idea how often the Trump administration sought consultation from these individuals, nor the O'Bama administration. It is a talking point that everyone latched onto last week. I would guess 90% of the individuals that are having panic attacks over Brennan losing his security clearance were completely ignorant of what they even entailed 2 weeks ago.

So you just ignored the article I posted about letter signed by former CIA directors and dozens of others who are in a position to know this for a fact? They are saying it. We are passing it on if you care to inform yourself by actually reading it.
I just figured it out. CL, anything you get into these discussions with those on the right. When ever you find evidence. try to find away to mess with the links. make sure you have the real legit information but have a fake link from a conservative website or fox news,etc. This will then make your info correct to these type of people. They will not listen to anything else because they believe anything that is not coming from that so called conservative bubble, isnt true. so put the truth in that bubble and feed it to them in that manner.

I think we may have to start creating our own version of russian bots to counter act the current ones.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Let me be clear about my angle here.....I did not vote for Trump.....I do not like Trump....he often says things that I find to be an embarrassment to the office he holds, and on top of that I am not crazy about some of his policies. At the same time, I am not please about what took place in the Justice Department since 2016, and I am 99% sure that there was no collusion with the Russian government. In a sense, I feel like a conservative without a home, but I also have never felt more free to speak my truth. I feel strongly that more damage is being done to this country by the actions of those in the Obama Justice department in his final months than could ever be accomplished by policies that could get through Congress and the current administration.

Right up until there you sounded rational, then it all went off the tracks straight into Fox News/Right Wing disinformation talking points.

that is the issue of the day....my opinion, my source of news, my talking points are rational......anyone who does not share my opinion, gets news from a different source, and has different talking points equates to irrational.

I could provide 100's of points to support my thoughts.....and I am sure you would have 100's of rebuttals for those points. It is probably in both of our best interests, and the value of our time to just acknowledge we disagree.....or strongly disagree in some areas of all that makes up the special council investigation.

I will say this.....if Mueller finds material acts of collusion involving the president......I will be pleased. If Mueller does not find material acts of collusion involving the president, I will still be pleased. I do not get the feeling most liberals can make that claim.....I actually think my dear mother may lose her mind if Mueller finds no evidence against Trump.

ak..question, did OJ do it?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
I'm sorry Trump supporters, you shouldn't even trust this guy to watch your kids for 5 minutes much less occupy the oval office. On top of everything else, his brain function is obviously deteriorating rapidly.

We desperately need a younger generation in leadership roles in government. Honestly, it scares the (bleep) out of me when people on the wrong side of 70 are leading things. There should be a mandatory retirement age for all politicians, including judges.

Maybe it's because I spend a lot of time around older people, but I'm not a big fan of this new age of ageism. Given our healthcare advances, people are sharp and cognizant far older than they once were, and they have something that you can't replace in young people: experience. There's no substitute, and it builds another important skill: judgement. People with a lack of either have a tendency to be rash impatient, and substitute arrogance and energy for them. Or talent. And talent without experience is almost more dangerous than ignorance.

What is needed is a balance of experience and youth. Youth pushes for change and experience moderates the desire to run roughshod.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Exclusive: @realDonaldTrump tells @Reuters he has chosen not to be involved in Mueller probe but is "totally allowed" to be if he wanted to. "I've decided to stay out. Now, I don't have to stay out, as you know. I can go in and I could... do whatever, I could run it if I want."

https://twitter.com/jeffmason1/status/1031662963445456901
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Maybe it's because I spend a lot of time around older people, but I'm not a big fan of this new age of ageism. Given our healthcare advances, people are sharp and cognizant far older than they once were, and they have something that you can't replace in young people: experience. There's no substitute, and it builds another important skill: judgement. People with a lack of either have a tendency to be rash impatient, and substitute arrogance and energy for them. Or talent. And talent without experience is almost more dangerous than ignorance.

What is needed is a balance of experience and youth. Youth pushes for change and experience moderates the desire to run roughshod.

I agree. Sorta like a good sports team a balance of youth and veterans.

Speaking from a elderly position I'll say experience is a great foundation. Speaking for myself I find I'm still learning.

I'm pleased by what I read in the posts of some youth in the forum, dismayed by the posts of some elders.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
When the sentencing for Popadopoulos was brought up they mentioned how upset Mueller was with his lies

Quote:

The memo said that Mr. Papadopoulos’s attempts to mislead the F.B.I. had a significant effect on the open investigation into whether President Trump or his advisers coordinated with Russia’s attempts to disrupt the 2016 presidential election.

“The defendant lied in order to conceal his contacts with Russians and Russian intermediaries during the campaign,” the memo said

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/17/us/politics/trump-mueller-papadopoulos-russia.html

^^Fits 90% of Swamp Trump
Oh noes. 6 months for lying to FBI during one of most important investigations ever...

Just start stripping these Trumpians of their citizenship and drop them off at the border
Obvious they don't respect America
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
More stories from Cult Land or example 1,065 on why the Democratic Party should not waste time chasing after these people:

Obama Helped Save This Town. Trump May Trash It. They Don’t Care.

Quote:
Obama’s stimulus helped save Elkhart, Indiana. Trump’s tariffs may kill its growth. But the people here are willing to give Trump the benefit of the doubt, for now.

Quote:
Like countless towns throughout the industrial midwest, Elkhart is grappling with an aggressive, protectionist economic policy from the president. But what makes the city different from the rest is the unique lore it enjoys in the country’s recent political narrative.

Before it began bracing for the impact of Trump’s trade wars, Elkhart was the shining example of former President Barack Obama’s stimulus package. It was during the 2008 Democratic primary that the then-senator from Illinois first came to northern Indiana. He would return again in the general election.

After that second visit, the financial crisis hit. Suddenly, few people had the disposable income to buy a mobile home, leaving the mainstay of Elkhart’s economy hobbled. The city, which has nearly 100 RV manufacturers and 400 RV suppliers, was decimated. Unemployment shot up to 20 percent. Obama’s solution was a massive recovery act that he said would jump-start spending and recharge the markets. And, as president, he decided to go back to Elkhart again to pitch the idea. It was the first city that he visited after assuming office.

Quote:
But Elkhart never embraced him or his policies. The city had voted ever-so-slightly for Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) in the 2008 election. By 2012, Mitt Romney won 62 percent of the vote in Elkhart County. In 2016, Trump trounced Hillary Clinton with 64 percent of the city’s vote. And even today, as the impact of tariffs looms over the city, voters seem perfectly content with their political choices.

Quote:
“Trump is sort of bulletproof here because of the results,” said Dan Holtz, the Elkhart County Republican Party Chair. “There is no other Republican who comes to mind in the last 30 years who has anywhere near the courage of Donald Trump. To say that courage in a leader engenders allegiance is a trite statement in human history. Of course it does. You can sit back and say, that’s it; 100 percent of it. His courage endears fierce allegiance.”

Why Elkhart’s voters have proven willing to stand by a president who may endanger their economic boom and unwilling to reward one who he says helped them during a time of economic despair, is a complicated question with a variety of answers.

Political tribalism—the notion that you’re part of a team and must defend it even if it's counter to your financial well-being or ideology—plays a role.

Black president helps save their economy -- eh, whatever.
White president threatens their livelihoods -- we trust him!

The Trump "courage" to which they speak can only refer to one thing IMO -- his "courage" to speak his racism out loud rather than hiding it in dog whistles like previous Republicans.
but they keep telling me that trump voters are not racist...Ummm K
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I agree with this. what should happen is those that want to hang around and advise can do so. they have zero power. only there to keep the knowledge around. at the same time i dont want a bunch of babies running my country/state/city either. it goes both ways.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

What's the wrong side of 70? If life last ya and death pass ya you'll change you way of thinking. Unless you're on this supposed wrong side you don't know what your talking about. Experience is a great teacher.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Kennedy 43, Clinton 46, Obama 47. A good mix of youth and experience.

As much as I've supported and appreciate Sanders, at 76 I really hope he doesn't run for President again.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

What's the wrong side of 70? If life last ya and death pass ya you'll change you way of thinking. Unless you're on this supposed wrong side you don't know what your talking about. Experience is a great teacher.

You're all right, jodeke
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

As much as I've supported and appreciate Sanders, at 76 I really hope he doesn't run for President again.

I can give you a long list of mistakes all of those guys made due to inexperience. I'm not against younger people, I just didn't like the idea that the problems are due to older leaders. BTW, Sanders problem isn't age, it's insulation from a broad range of the requirements by choice.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
As former CIA director, Brennan has seen information none of have. It must be pretty damn compelling if that's the conclusion he draws.

you nailed it.....which is why it was extremely irresponsible for him to make these type of statements on Twitter. This was not Maxine Waters throwing mud out there to get some headlines.....this was the former Director of the CIA....his words have weight. So flip that...because there is also a chance he knows nothing related to his statements.....still find it "courageous"?

Not that I expect adkindo to come back and read this, but it's still important for people to understand how serious this is. This man is a journalist and director of the annual Aspen Cyber Security Conference:

Quote:
Garrett M. Graff Verified account @vermontgmg

THREAD: I want to take a moment to elaborate why we should be so concerned that Jim Clapper, John Brennan, Admiral McRaven, Mike Hayden, and other officials feel it necessary to speak out against Trump:

1) Lost amid the controversy last week about Trump yanking Brennan's security clearance is just how unusual it is for any of these officials to be speaking publicly—and that fact alone should be cause for concern....

2) This is no ordinary political criticism. Do not fall into Trump's trap that this is just more of the same, more partisan sniping from the Swamp from swamp creatures....

3) These officials are not—repeat not—monetizing their security clearances by being on cable TV. In fact, having covered many of these officials for years, I can tell you that they would prefer to be doing anything but being on TV.

4) What they are doing is offering the clearest warning they can, speaking—as intel officials are supposed to do—truth to power, telling hard truths, that America faces a dire situation.

5) I spent months profiling Jim Clapper when he was DNI; back then, he went out of his way to say nothing, to avoid controversy, to eschew politics, to focus on the work before him.

6) All of them would have preferred to sit on the sidelines of politics. They spent their careers avoiding it and would prefer to remain off the public radar.

7) All Clapper wanted to do when he left office was slip quietly into the night and clean out his basement. He'd been retired before—for six years—and never did TV commentary or cable news before. But those were "normal" years, under Clinton and W.

8) Altogether, Clapper spent nearly 50 years in public service. Hayden did about 40 years. McRaven 36. Brennan too, more than 30. These are not partisan hacks. They don't scare easily. They don't cry wolf.

8) All of them were trained to keep quiet on politics. So the fact that they're not silent, that all of them—all of them—are screaming from the rooftops about Trump's threats to our country, our rule of law, our democratic institutions, should chill us.

9) I was there last summer at @aspensecurity as Clapper and Brennan let loose on Trump. I was gobsmacked. I had read every word Jim Clapper has said in public in a decade. I had never imagined I'd hear him speak as ominously and fearfully as he did.

10) I remain stunned by the words and warning that come from Brennan, Clapper, Hayden, McRaven, and others today.

11) They are telling us this is a dark and dangerous time. And they have spent their lives, devoted their entire careers, to protecting the country from just these sorts of events overseas. That they're warning us we're under threat at *home*. That's a warning worth listening to
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

In general I'd like us to have younger people more involved at every level of politics. And I personally don't want to vote for a 70-year old in 2020 (I've stated many times in this thread, not Biden or Bernie or Warren or Hillary).

But, there is a huge difference between a lucid, high-functioning, intelligent, articulate, informed, well-read person over-70 person (like Hillary or Ruth Bader Ginsburg) and someone in clear mental decline who is not smart, not well-read, not curious, and completely incapable of complex thought -- i.e. Trump. I'd take any of the above over Trump if it came to that. I'm assuming you would too.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Jokes aside. If Donald Trump posted his tweets to this site. I think he'd be banned for being a troll.
At minimum he'd be called out for his lies and lack of sources.
I think LG holds a higher standard for the Pol thread than the Republican Congress does for the President of the United States.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Don't worry man. You may ne the "wrong side" of 70, but you are on the right side of 2070 . . . by a hair of course.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
As former CIA director, Brennan has seen information none of have. It must be pretty damn compelling if that's the conclusion he draws.

you nailed it.....which is why it was extremely irresponsible for him to make these type of statements on Twitter.

Yeah, Brennan is the one who is irresponsible on Twitter.

Quote:
This was not Maxine Waters throwing mud out there to get some headlines.....

The nice thing about folk like you is you wear your ugliness for all to see.

Quote:
this was the former Director of the CIA....his words have weight.

They do. As does his knowledge. Which is why it is asinine to remove his clearance for self-serving and vindictive reasons. Brennan, and others like him are an essential asset to the intelligence world.

Quote:
So flip that...because there is also a chance he knows nothing related to his statements.....still find it "courageous"?

Umm, this comment makes absolutely no sense.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Christopher AOC
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

He is probably going to run. And if he does, he will do very well. He is the most popular politician in the country right now.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

that won't change until younger people go out and vote.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject:

I am really confused by the Manafort jury..

Are the facts missing?
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
I am really confused by the Manafort jury..

Are the facts missing?

It feels like an episode of Law & Order where one of the jurors got bribed so it's 11-1 guilty and will end in a mistrial.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1035, 1036, 1037 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next
Page 1036 of 3672
Jump to: