THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1037, 1038, 1039 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Also, Manafort jury has asked about the ramifications of being hung on a single count. Implies they are together on most. Barriers being put up outside the court.

When I hear something like that, it disturbs me because there are only two reasons for them to be asking at this stage. Either the jury instructions were poorly explained or the jurors themselves are incapable of understanding them.

In fairness, the judge read them instructions for two hours and refused to give them a transcript. I was just talking to an attorney friend of mine and he says it's fairly common in a case with multiple disparate counts for the jury to be deadlocked on one or two, and not know what to do.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

Trump right now is at 42/52 approval vs disapproval.
On Nov. 1 2010 Barack was at 45/47.
I see no reason why Trump will make up the difference before midterms.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:02 am; edited 3 times in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

Jurors apparently often conflate the fact that they must unanimously agree on a charge to mean they have to agree on all of them.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Also, Manafort jury has asked about the ramifications of being hung on a single count. Implies they are together on most. Barriers being put up outside the court.

When I hear something like that, it disturbs me because there are only two reasons for them to be asking at this stage. Either the jury instructions were poorly explained or the jurors themselves are incapable of understanding them.

Having been on a few juries, it sounds to me like one person is a holdout for "not guilty" and they are horsetrading with him to give him one count in his favor in exchange for voting guilty on the others. Just a guess, but I've see it happen.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Jurors apparently often conflate the fact that they must unanimously agree on a charge to mean they have to agree on all of them.

Yes, this too.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Having been on a few juries, it sounds to me like one person is a holdout for "not guilty" and they are horsetrading with him to give him one count in his favor in exchange for voting guilty on the others. Just a guess, but I've see it happen.

Based on the wording, I don't think so. This sounds like they are hung on one or two of the weaker charges. I highly doubt they would get a Trump loyalist who wants to let Manafort go across the board to sign on for guilty on most of the charges with a symbolic not guilty on one or two.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

Feels like a Trump supporter hold out. If it is this will be a hung jury. Where's Dr Bull when you need him?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Feels like a Trump supporter hold out. If it is this will be a hung jury. Where's Dr Bull when you need him?

It sounds like it's only one count.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
This just in. Cohen is in plea and cooperation negotiations.

Quote:
Katherine Faulders Verified account @KFaulders

NEW: @ABC has learned that Michael Cohen has entered into a plea agreement with federal prosecutors in the Southern District of New York.

Plea agreement. Watch for bigger than usual Trump meltdown, especially if Manafort guilty verdict comes down today too. Trump will burn it all down because he only cares about himself. Congratulations Republicans/Conservatives/TrumpEnablers. But god forbid former intelligence professionals point out how crazy this all is and beg people to put out the fire.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
jodeke wrote:

So, if it's only one count and guilty on all others does that eliminate a hung jury?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Based on the wording, I don't think so. This sounds like they are hung on one or two of the weaker charges. I highly doubt they would get a Trump loyalist who wants to let Manafort go across the board to sign on for guilty on most of the charges with a symbolic not guilty on one or two.

Maybe. But I've been on juries where that precise thing happened. It allows the holdout juror to save face with the other jurors.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

Ex-Trump lawyer Michael Cohen reaches plea deal with prosecutors

Quote:
Michael Cohen, President Trump's former personal attorney, has reached a plea deal with federal prosecutors, multiple sources familiar with the matter tell NBC News.

Cohen will plead guilty to charges stemming from a federal investigation in New York. A hearing in the Cohen case has been scheduled at federal court in Manhattan for 4 p.m. Tuesday.

The plea could have significant implications for Trump, who has blasted Cohen ever since his former fixer and his attorney, old Clinton hand Lanny Davis, began signaling this summer that Cohen might cooperate with special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation.

Expected to plead guilty to tax fraud, bank fraud and campaign finance related violation - per MSNBC reporter with contacts.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

On a lighter note, Obama and Trump gave suggestions for summer reading.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Michael Avenatti Verified account @MichaelAvenatti

The developments of today will permit us to have the stay lifted in the civil case & should also permit us to proceed with an expedited deposition of Trump under oath about what he knew, when he knew it, and what he did about it. We will disclose it all to the public.

I don't know if this would happen, but seeing Trump under oath under any circumstance would be extremely awesome.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

The developments of today will permit us to have the stay lifted in the civil case & should also permit us to proceed with an expedited deposition of Trump under oath about what he knew, when he knew it, and what he did about it. We will disclose it all to the public.

I don't know if this would happen, but seeing Trump under oath under any circumstance would be extremely awesome.

Like watching Nascar racing, waiting for the accidents to happen...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Like watching Nascar racing, waiting for the accidents to happen...

Mass pileup at the first turn.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Maybe. But I've been on juries where that precise thing happened. It allows the holdout juror to save face with the other jurors.

That would be a strong point if we weren't talking about a supposed Trump supporter. I don't think they care what others think.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
On a lighter note, Obama and Trump gave suggestions for summer reading.

WOW just WOW Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt. Trump spoke out.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
jodeke wrote:

So, if it's only one count and guilty on all others does that eliminate a hung jury?

A jury can be hung on one count and not on another. They are required to render a unanimous verdict to each charge, but not to all charges in aggregate. They can convict on some, acquit on others, and fail to reach a verdict on still others if they choose.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Ex-Trump lawyer Michael Cohen reaches plea deal with prosecutors

Quote:
Michael Cohen, President Trump's former personal attorney, has reached a plea deal with federal prosecutors, multiple sources familiar with the matter tell NBC News.

Cohen will plead guilty to charges stemming from a federal investigation in New York. A hearing in the Cohen case has been scheduled at federal court in Manhattan for 4 p.m. Tuesday.

The plea could have significant implications for Trump, who has blasted Cohen ever since his former fixer and his attorney, old Clinton hand Lanny Davis, began signaling this summer that Cohen might cooperate with special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation.

Expected to plead guilty to tax fraud, bank fraud and campaign finance related violation - per MSNBC reporter with contacts.

FWIW, the current head of the southern district is a trump appointee who was pushed by giuliani. So there's a strong possibility here that Cohen is pleading and getting a preferential deal to essentially take him off the table, with a pardon or commutation to come later.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Not in a case where the juror is politically motivated to acquit I'm guessing. There would be no face saving for a juror who wants to let him walk if they convict on 17 of 18 counts.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Appears Cohen will be pleading to campaign finance violations, bank fraud and tax fraud. Will be facing a hefty fine and jail time. Negotiations apparently are down to how much, Cohen seeking three years and the feds 50 months. Feels a bit like theater. Cohen takes a light rap and is off the table for Mueller, possible pardon down the line.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Seth Abramson
?
Verified account

@SethAbramson
1m1 minute ago
More
BREAKING: Manafort Jury Reaches Verdict on 8 of 18 Counts, Deadlocked on Others
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

That sounds very reasonable in a very complicated case with a judge who made it especially difficult.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Not in a case where the juror is politically motivated to acquit I'm guessing. There would be no face saving for a juror who wants to let him walk if they convict on 17 of 18 counts.

Does the legal system keep watch on Jurors during trial for cases like this
If there is a trumptilian in there causing bs.. can he be investigated for links to anything?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1037, 1038, 1039 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 1038 of 3673
Jump to: