THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1038, 1039, 1040 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Appears Cohen will be pleading to campaign finance violations, bank fraud and tax fraud. Will be facing a hefty fine and jail time. Negotiations apparently are down to how much, Cohen seeking three years and the feds 50 months. Feels a bit like theater. Cohen takes a light rap and is off the table for Mueller, possible pardon down the line.

To get the deal did he have to spill some (bleep) on trump and others or?

50 months is no time at all for these charges...
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
tlim wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Michael Avenatti Verified account @MichaelAvenatti

The developments of today will permit us to have the stay lifted in the civil case & should also permit us to proceed with an expedited deposition of Trump under oath about what he knew, when he knew it, and what he did about it. We will disclose it all to the public.

I don't know if this would happen, but seeing Trump under oath under any circumstance would be extremely awesome.

Like watching Nascar racing, waiting for the accidents to happen...

Mass pileup at the first turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuN421qNmxE
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Manafort found guilty on 8 counts today. Mistrial declared on the other 10

then the real bombshell imo

Cohen, in plea deal, says he acted "in coordination and at the direction of a candidate for federal office (then candidate Donald Trump.)
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Looking forward to the spin. I hope Trump's peeps have been doing a lot of yoga lately.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
West Wing Reports
@WestWingReport
A dramatic afternoon - and a doubly bad one for the President:
1) Trump's ex-lawyer, in court, rats on his boss, says Trump ordered the Stormy Daniels payoff to influence the 2016 election
2) Trump's ex-campaign chief has been found guilty; Paul Manafort is now a convicted felon
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

^^

Both with ties to Campaign interference and collusion with Russia
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Most rational people: Cohen admitted Trump told him to pay off Stormy Daniels to influence the election! Manafort is now a convicted felon!

Trump supporters:
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
tlim wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Michael Avenatti Verified account @MichaelAvenatti

The developments of today will permit us to have the stay lifted in the civil case & should also permit us to proceed with an expedited deposition of Trump under oath about what he knew, when he knew it, and what he did about it. We will disclose it all to the public.

I don't know if this would happen, but seeing Trump under oath under any circumstance would be extremely awesome.

Like watching Nascar racing, waiting for the accidents to happen...

Mass pileup at the first turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuN421qNmxE

Reminded me of the court reporters in Johnny Dangerously when they lifted the screaming woman out of the phone booth and moved her out of the way over their heads, crowd surfing style.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Looking forward to the spin. I hope Trump's peeps have been doing a lot of yoga lately.

The spin will focus on that poor girl that was murdered by that POS. Theyll focus on the fact that he is undocumented.

Scare tactics will ramp up. Dont be afraid of The Russians when the Mexicans are killing our white kids
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Most rational people: Cohen admitted Trump told him to pay off Stormy Daniels to influence the election! Manafort is now a convicted felon!

Trump supporters:

Technically it's an unnamed candidate. You know what this means.
Hillary is going down!
I'm joking. But people/bots on 4chan actually think it's a possibility.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Going back a ways, and tbh, rehashing something relatively old.

Hillary did almost the same as Obama in 2012.
Trump did ~1M more than Romney and ~2M more than McCain.
Obama had ~3M more votes than Hillary in 2018.

As a whole, it seems the country is mostly set up tribalism. There seems to really be no overall movement from R->D or D->R in most elections and seems more about voter turnout than anything else.

As a whole, the % of people who switch votes is such a minute number compared to just getting out the vote where many millions are still available to get gotten.

Anyway, I guess the end result is: get your message out and get the people motivated and captivated. Your message will almost never reach the other side (except in protest votes, etc.)..
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jake Tapper
@jaketapper
DOJ: GOP @Rep_Hunter and his wife, Margaret E. Hunter, were indicted by a federal grand jury today on charges that they converted more than $250,000 in campaign funds to pay for personal expenses and filed false campaign finance records with the Federal Election Commission.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Mueller is amazing. Build a case around Trump's corrupted people without implicating Trump himself. Get all of them to turn against Trump. Slowly tighten the noose.

Sadly Trumps supporters will just dismiss everything as deep state and conspiracy against Trump.

Trump bonus: Wonder if Omarosa have bombshell recordings she will release.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
Mueller is amazing. Build a case around Trump's corrupted people without implicating Trump himself. Get all of them to turn against Trump. Slowly tighten the noose.

Sadly Trumps supporters will just dismiss everything as deep state and conspiracy against Trump.

Trump bonus: Wonder if Omarosa have bombshell recordings she will release.

If you're Omarosa, why on earth would you release a tape tonight? I thought she was good at TV.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Trump Campaign Manager Manafort - CONVICTED FELON
Trump's Attorney Cohen - CONVICTED FELON
Trump's Foreign Policy Advisor Papadapolous - CONVICTED FELON
Trump's Campaign Advisor Rick Gates -CONVICTED FELON
Trump's NSA Michael Flynn - CONVICTED FELON
Trump Associate Alex van der Zwaan - CONVICTED FELON

Etc, etc.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Appears Cohen will be pleading to campaign finance violations, bank fraud and tax fraud. Will be facing a hefty fine and jail time. Negotiations apparently are down to how much, Cohen seeking three years and the feds 50 months. Feels a bit like theater. Cohen takes a light rap and is off the table for Mueller, possible pardon down the line.

How does it take him off the table for Mueller?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
We are anti-Trump individuals posting on a message board. Talking heads on talk shows are anti-Trump. But the individual candidates are running on issues like healthcare and whatever applies to their district.

Why is that so hard to separate? The Democratic candidates for the most part are not running "just" on anti-Trump. That's simply not accurate.

it is not personal.....but the message is whatever is being used to get voters to the booth.....and the emotional voters in the Democratic party will being going to the polls in 2018 on an "anti-Trump" message....just as voters did in 2010. It was not about free trade, limited regulations or even wedge issues like gay marriage.....it was all about a big F U to Obama.

My guess is Romney wanted to talk more about his platform in 2012.....but the pollsters and RNC likely kept showing him that "I am not Obama" was getting the best responses. I just think it is a losing strategy for a national election against an incumbent.

In general, I’d agree with you. You win midterm elections running against the incumbent, but you have to generally work harder to unseat an incumbent president. It these are not normal times. Trump doesn’t really have a well of untapped voters to bring out. But there’s a huge well of the democratic coalition to bring out, and trump is going to drive turnout against him in a way that pretty much nothing else will. As GOP strategists will tell you, they want no part of a high turnout election because they are going to lose. The GOP does a much better job of turning out their voters, if they know they are a minority party.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Judge told Cohen, a max sentence for him would be 65 years.
Cohen pleaded out and got 5 years instead.

I'm expecting Cohen to earn those 60 years. Can't wait to find out everything he knows.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
We are anti-Trump individuals posting on a message board. Talking heads on talk shows are anti-Trump. But the individual candidates are running on issues like healthcare and whatever applies to their district.

Why is that so hard to separate? The Democratic candidates for the most part are not running "just" on anti-Trump. That's simply not accurate.

it is not personal.....but the message is whatever is being used to get voters to the booth.....and the emotional voters in the Democratic party will being going to the polls in 2018 on an "anti-Trump" message....just as voters did in 2010. It was not about free trade, limited regulations or even wedge issues like gay marriage.....it was all about a big F U to Obama.

My guess is Romney wanted to talk more about his platform in 2012.....but the pollsters and RNC likely kept showing him that "I am not Obama" was getting the best responses. I just think it is a losing strategy for a national election against an incumbent.

In general, I’d agree with you. You win midterm elections running against the incumbent, but you have to generally work harder to unseat an incumbent president. It these are not normal times. Trump doesn’t really have a well of untapped voters to bring out. But there’s a huge well of the democratic coalition to bring out, and trump is going to drive turnout against him in a way that pretty much nothing else will. As GOP strategists will tell you, they want no part of a high turnout election because they are going to lose. The GOP does a much better job of turning out their voters, if they know they are a minority party.

time will tell....maybe your right....all I can tell you as a Republican that was actually involved in state and local politics at the time.....around the time of the 2010 midterms, many Republicans thought it would be damn near impossible to lose to Obama in 2012.....and my tiny little voice at local and state events told others we will be in trouble if we continue the "we are not Obama" message....and most Republicans laughed at me. It lasted one debate....then we were finished...."we are not Obama" had went as far as it could go. The groups that pushed Trump over the top, like a strong religious contingent stayed home in 2012.

The reason I even brought it up was I attended a lunch last week, and there is a material group of conservative republicans that are discussing if the party is better in the long run losing the 2020 election in hopes getting the party by in conservative control. I think the sticking point for many of them is the Ginsburg seat.....but some of them do not trust Trump to even make "conservative" appointments in a 2nd term.

I am just talking "nuts and bolts" politics....not trying to "brag" that my side is going to win or anything like that.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

I'm expecting Cohen to earn those 60 years. Can't wait to find out everything he knows.

you do not think him and Manafort will be released within a few years?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I think Cohen is offering prosecutors info on Trump. That's why he only got 5 years.
But Trump could pardon him.
If Dems take back the House, they could make Cohen testify publicly.
And it would be up to state prosecutors to convict them on crimes Trump can't pardon.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I think Cohen is offering prosecutors info on Trump. That's why he only got 5 years.
But Trump could pardon him.
If Dems take back the House, they could make Cohen testify publicly.
And it would be up to state prosecutors to convict them on crimes Trump can't pardon.

maybe I missed something, but I thought I read Cohen's deal does not involve a cooperation agreement with federal prosecutors.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

maybe I missed something, but I thought I read Cohen's deal does not involve a cooperation agreement with federal prosecutors.

I mean technically Mueller's team isn't directly a part of the Cohen case. It's NY's southern district who prosecuted the case.
Would it be normal to announce a deal involving Mueller's team in a case involving NY's southern district?
I don't think NY's southern district is in charge of potential conspiracy with a foreign government and obstruction charges.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I mean technically Mueller's team isn't directly a part of the Cohen case. It's NY's southern district who prosecuted the case.
Would it be normal to announce a deal involving Mueller's team in a case involving NY's southern district?
I don't think NY's southern district is in charge of potential conspiracy with a foreign government and obstruction charges.

those are two very different charges....it will be interesting if the result is the latter without the former.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject:

I would not be surprised at this point if somehow, one or both of those men somehow think they're Superman and "jump" from a tall building like they do in Russia. Yes, it's getting that weird.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1038, 1039, 1040 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 1039 of 3671
Jump to: