THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1082, 1083, 1084 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

In case you thought it was just me.

And You Thought Trump Voters Were Mad. American women are furious — and our politics and culture will never be the same.

Quote:

Adapted from Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women’s Anger, by Rebecca Traister, published by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Printed by permission. Copyright © 2018 by Rebecca Traister.

It’s not like women weren’t already aflame with fury.

September had brought handmaids to Washington, some standing silent sentinel in Senate office buildings. Women had dressed demurely to get into Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court confirmation hearings, then leapt up and yelled: about life and death, health care, and abortion. Those women were pulled roughly from the room, then replaced by others. Every day, more women willing to yell. Women sent 3,000 coat hangers to Senator Susan Collins; anti-Kavanaugh messages have been projected onto the City Hall building in Portland, Maine. One day, during the Kavanaugh hearings, a few dozen women — plus some men! — flooded into the office of Chuck Grassley, the chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and started chanting and clapping: “Chuck Grassley! Come out! We’ve got some things to talk about!”

But this weekend, the view of the wrath — and the stakes that have it ratcheted it so high — got even clearer.

Quote:
With Ford’s story came the explicit acknowledgment of what all those handmaids and demonstrators had been working to convey for weeks: that this fight has been against an administration with virtually no regard for women, for their rights, or for the integrity of their bodies, either in the public or private sense. The point should be obvious, yet the anger of the female protesters has repeatedly been cast — as Ford’s story quickly was — by those threatened by it as desperate and performed.

On the first day of the Supreme Court hearings, Orrin Hatch chuckled nervously as a woman in the back of the room stood and screamed about how if health-care reform were gutted by the court, she’d die. “We oughtta have this loudmouth removed,” Hatch blustered. “We shouldn’t have to put up with this kind of stuff.” Ben Sasse suggested that maybe the ladies should all just calm down, noting that “screaming protesters [have been] saying ‘Women are going to die’ at every hearing for decades.” Concern over the prospect of this very real history repeating itself was just “hysteria,” Sasse went on. On the third day of hearings, greeted with more screaming women, Senator John Kennedy opined, “It’s not really how democracy is supposed to work.”

But this is the way democracy is supposed to work — and the reason these men are getting so upset is that the force of female protest right now feels like it has the potential to shake our power structure to its core.

Quote:
It’s those women who’ve been winning primaries, toppling men who’ve occupied seats of power since God was a boy. The partisan gender gap has become a chasm, a fault line splitting open under the pressure of so much rage. Based on polls going into the midterms, the gap has grown to 33 points, largely because white women — a majority of whom voted for Trump in 2016 and have supported Republicans in all but two elections since 1952 — have shifted toward backing Democrats over Republicans, 52-38; among millennials, 55 points separates women who favor Democrats and men who prefer Republicans. It’s angry women who’ve staged teachers’ strikes, who’ve knocked powerful men off their perches at television networks and in the Senate; it’s often female elected officials who’ve linked arms with the angry masses. It was Kamala Harris, whose place on the Judiciary Committee, along with Cory Booker’s, opened up after the resignation of Al Franken and the loss of Roy Moore — both sidelined by the agitations of women — who first interrupted the Kavanaugh hearings and called for an adjournment.

Harris was told that she was “out of order.”
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
News: Sources tell @eschor @burgessev and me that Ford's lawyer is trying to impose conditions on her testimony. Judiciary Committee staffers right now skeptical Monday hearing will happen -

https://twitter.com/elianayjohnson/status/1042055965351272450
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lol. I’m not a trump supporter. But let’s set that aside for a moment while I run PR for trump. There’s nothing sadder than a guy pretending he’s not doing what he’s doing, except maybe being so sure he’s fooling anyone.

You continue to post this, without ever responding directly to me. Just pushing out into the conversation as a passive aggressive shot at me. I usually do not respond.....but I will make it clear for you.

I did not vote for Trump.
I do not support many policies of Trump.
Trumps statements routinely are an embarrassment for the Republican Party.
I am a conservative Republican.
I am far more repulsed by the Democratic Party and modern liberal ideology than I am by stupid (bleep) Trump says or tweets.

Do you get it? You seem to conflate not being a supporter of all things Trump with supporting positions of actions of the Democratic Party. The latter will never happen unless there was about a 160 degree change in positions. Supporting Kavanaugh's confirmation and opposing the actions of the Democrats in the Senate have nothing to do with supporting or opposing Trump.

I do find it ironic that you have claimed in the past that you are a liberal, but not far left (forgive me if I do not recall your exact descriptive words), but you continue to hold me to this "purity test".

I will make it as simple as possible for you.....my view is Trump>>>Democratic Party.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
News: Sources tell @eschor @burgessev and me that Ford's lawyer is trying to impose conditions on her testimony. Judiciary Committee staffers right now skeptical Monday hearing will happen -

For those interested, that’s the Washington editor of the National Review, and a firmer Hannity producer. Apparently Ford is concerned that the GOP intends to ask her a long line of questions about her own sexual history to “muddy the water”, and the right wing media is going to run with that.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Trump>>>Democratic Party

To quote Fox Mulder, "Well, that says a lot. That says a lot, a lot, a lot."
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
my view is Trump>>>Democratic Party.

why
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Trump>>>Democratic Party.

Reminds me of the "I'd rather be Russian than a Democrat" t-shirts that people have worn at Trump rallies.

I'm not sure my man Adkindo would be willing to go THAT far, right?

I left the GOP many years ago, and watching Trump's sway and influence on the GOP, I'm glad I did. I remain an independent, but I can't agree that Trump > Dems.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Lol. I’m not a trump supporter. But let’s set that aside for a moment while I run PR for trump. There’s nothing sadder than a guy pretending he’s not doing what he’s doing, except maybe being so sure he’s fooling anyone.

You continue to post this, without ever responding directly to me. Just pushing out into the conversation as a passive aggressive shot at me. I usually do not respond.....but I will make it clear for you.

I did not vote for Trump.
I do not support many policies of Trump.
Trumps statements routinely are an embarrassment for the Republican Party.
I am a conservative Republican.
I am far more repulsed by the Democratic Party and modern liberal ideology than I am by stupid (bleep) Trump says or tweets.

Do you get it? You seem to conflate not being a supporter of all things Trump with supporting positions of actions of the Democratic Party. The latter will never happen unless there was about a 160 degree change in positions. Supporting Kavanaugh's confirmation and opposing the actions of the Democrats in the Senate have nothing to do with supporting or opposing Trump.

I do find it ironic that you have claimed in the past that you are a liberal, but not far left (forgive me if I do not recall your exact descriptive words), but you continue to hold me to this "purity test".

I will make it as simple as possible for you.....my view is Trump>>>Democratic Party.

No, that was a direct shot at your argument. You keep telling us how you’re not a trump guy while you defend him on every subject brought up. Your view stated in your last line of response there is exactly making my point. You are all in on supporting him against the democrats, no matter what he says or does, because as long as the team wins, he can do or say whatever. And if it is more important to win than to oppose him, you then own his behavior and admit to being OK with it. At some point, no one believes that you’re actually against any of it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:

As I said yesterday, I am skeptical that she will simply show up and be questioned about her allegations under oath. Not saying she will not, just skeptical. My assumption is her attorney will attempt to at least delay as long as possible, or place stiff restrictions on her appearance.

Let's put them both up there, without restrictions and under oath. One person is not telling the truth.....and which ever person that is if it can be proven should be held accountable with harsh legal consequences. This is about our republic and the democratic processes it has operated within for over 2 centuries.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

Hitler, Putin, RocktMan, Trump might have a couple things worth agreeing with but I would NEVER have a brain cell that could allow them to be a Leader of a society or free and honest people

Trump is the most disgusting American and possibly human being I've ever had the displeasure of bring forced to learn about
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

I can't attest to the credibility of RawStory

Democrats ask to interview alleged Kavanaugh accomplice Mark Judge under oath

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

As I said yesterday, I am skeptical that she will simply show up and be questioned about her allegations under oath. Not saying she will not, just skeptical. My assumption is her attorney will attempt to at least delay as long as possible, or place stiff restrictions on her appearance.

Let's put them both up there, without restrictions and under oath. One person is not telling the truth.....and which ever person that is if it can be proven should be held accountable with harsh legal consequences. This is about our republic and the democratic processes it has operated within for over 2 centuries.

I can think of no greater kangaroo court than having an alleged sexual assault victim sit in front of Ted Cruz while he pontificates about the MeToo movement and the sexual mores of the 1980s on national television. There's a not insignificant chance that Grassley sits Dr. Blasey Ford across from the man who (allegedly) attempted to rape her and then insinuates that she's a temptress slut for four hours for the entertainment of rape apologists nationwide.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

Kavanaugh has perjured himself before already.. when will you hold him accountable for honesty

Trump lies 100 times per day.. you like it
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/us/politics/ted-cruz-fund-raising-letter.html
"Ted Cruz’s Campaign Marked a Fund-Raising Letter an Official ‘Summons.’ "
I hate this type of marketing. Pretty lame Ted.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Do you get it?

Oh we get it.

Quote:
my view is Trump>>>Democratic Party

Which is more of an indictment of you than it is of the Democratic Party.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

Supporting Trump while pretending you’re doing so reluctantly is very in fashion at the moment.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Do you get it?

Oh we get it.

Quote:
my view is Trump>>>Democratic Party

Which is more of an indictment of you than it is of the Democratic Party.

This is why I generally just ignore his posts.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Supporting Trump while pretending you’re doing so reluctantly is very in fashion at the moment.

I've noticed this too. No one believes it's really reluctant support. That's just a cop out for when things come crashing down on Trump.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

PSA: For anyone who cares, Hillary Clinton is going to be interviewed on Rachel Maddow tonight.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
ocho wrote:

I've noticed this too. No one believes it's really reluctant support. That's just a cop out for when things come crashing down on Trump.

Yep. It’s a tapdance, and it isn’t a convincing one. Polls of GOP support for him tell the real story. With rare exception, he is them, and they are him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
PSA: For anyone who cares, Hillary Clinton is going to be interviewed on Rachel Maddow tonight.

I just can't stand Hillary. Not sure she is helping things out to be honest. Was the wrong choice to put up against Trump.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I just can't stand Hillary. Not sure she is helping things out to be honest. Was the wrong choice to put up against Trump.

In a halfway normal world no choice would be wrong to put up against Trump

Trump and his racist hate filled followers are trying to force normalization of grotesqueness and vile behavior

Trump has taken 200million plus from domestic programs already to keep housing babies taken from their parents AGAINST Federal Judges orders

Paul Ryan got 500,000 for stealing all of our tax dollars and joked about how it helped you all get a free cup of coffee every month...

BABIES... is racism really this valuable?.. and AH thinks people are against whitey...
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

OK. You said it, now explain it. Tells us all of the policies of the Dems since, heck pick your point, and how they have clearly demonstrated to be harmful to the American people. You might also list all of the scandals and the people indicted or arrested in Dem administrations, but then you might want to consider that I will return the favor.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

She motivates women, supports women candidates and advocates for children and women. I really don't care if men like her or not. I'm glad she keeps doing what she's done all her life. And so are all the women who voted for her, which is not an insignificant number of people. In fact, they are the base of the Democratic party.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I had many conversations with many of Hillary's detractors about her during the election who made similar statements. Why, specifically, can't you stand her?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1082, 1083, 1084 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next
Page 1083 of 3670
Jump to: