THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1089, 1090, 1091 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
This is what happens when an administration prioritizes it's inaccurate, fearful, bigoted beliefs over science and medicine.

But Trump>>>>Democrats

Quote:
Andy Slavitt Verified account @ASlavitt

NEW: To pay for detaining kids wout their parents, Trump is cutting:

$17 million from Head Start
$6 million from the Ryan White HIV/AIDS
$13 million from the National Cancer Institute
Also mental & maternal health, women’s shelters & substance abuse.

With more immigrant children in detention, HHS cuts funds for other programs — like cancer research

My goodness.

$26-40mil... drop in bucket, purely political

Drop in bucket? What % of the budget do those amounts make up for those agencies/programs? It's not from the prism of the US economy as a whole, but what % those agencies had to give up just to fund Trump's immigration policies.

drop in the bucket in the prism of US economy as a whole (out of $3 - 4 trillion). I'm saying the same thing you are

Ethical?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
This is what happens when an administration prioritizes it's inaccurate, fearful, bigoted beliefs over science and medicine.

But Trump>>>>Democrats

Quote:

With more immigrant children in detention, HHS cuts funds for other programs — like cancer research

My goodness.

Drop in bucket? What % of the budget do those amounts make up for those agencies/programs? It's not from the prism of the US economy as a whole, but what % those agencies had to give up just to fund Trump's immigration policies.

drop in the bucket in the prism of US economy as a whole (out of $3 - 4 trillion). I'm saying the same thing you are

So Head Start had a 9b budget for 2018, down 85m. So it doesn't seem like much, but they're taking another 17m away.

National Cancer Institute has a 5b budget, and 13m may seem little in comparison.

But the question is, what is that $ going towards. Is it going towards something better? I'd emphatically say no.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

But Trump>>>>Democrats

Quote:

My goodness.

This is a twofer for Republicans. That get to take away money than helps the poor, especially poor women, children, sick people and vulnerable people to hurt more vulnerable brown people and vulnerable brown children.

This is peak Trump and peak Republicanism.

It's disgusting and immoral and I hope they at least pay an electoral price.

And NO - TRUMP IS NOT >>>>>DEMOCRATS
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

But Trump>>>>Democrats

Quote:

America the Beautiful

It has been my impression all my life that voters don't even have much comprehension of what happens with their tax dollars

Stealing tax dollars from citizens and giving it to Corporations is not what Government is supposed to do. If those Corporations cannot exist without GOVERNMENT FOOD STAMPS AND WELFARE then they shouldn't exist

When will voters recognize
Republicans STEAL your tax money and give it ALL to their donors (TRUE)
Democrats distribute your tax dollars to make the whole country a better place for all races and genders(True at times)

The education of the American children must include how to spot liars and how to keep politicians from stealing all your money.

The truth is in todays politics, politicians period(especially the hire you go) more or less pay those back that financially helped them to get in office.

NOw obviously if a union kicks in a lot of cash to get you in. then you will pay that union back with good union-esk like policies. this will hopefully trickle down to the workers of unions. since the people are the ones paying union dues. in essence the people have created a super pac called the unions that have bought a politician.

When a corporation pays to push a politician. he/she has to pay them back if/when they get in office by way of legislation. the difference with the corporations is that the workers dont pay dues to them. therefore, no one is representing you on behalf of the corporation. the corporation is representing the owner/CEO/Other top execs and shareholders(especially those with a lot of shares which therefore mean they have a lot of say so and influence.)
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

WaPo's Fact Checker gives Kavanaugh 3 Pinocchios for lying under oath.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/20/brett-kavanaughs-unlikely-story-about-democrats-stolen-documents/?utm_term=.969cc3cc1a79

I guess we must accept that truth now has a liberal bias, as does everything else according to Republicans, but even so, and even if we discount Kavanaugh's extreme political biases, I don't think he, or any judge, should be confirmed with such a problem with the truth. This seems to be clearly obvious for a system of governance and the rule of law used for it's guidance, but, today, not in Republican's world, apparently.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/20/brett-kavanaughs-unlikely-story-about-democrats-stolen-documents/?utm_term=.969cc3cc1a79

I guess we must accept that truth now has a liberal bias, as does everything else according to Republicans, but even so, and even if we discount Kavanaugh's extreme political biases, I don't think he, or any judge, should be confirmed with such a problem with the truth. This seems to be clearly obvious for a system of governance and the rule of law used for it's guidance, but, today, not in Republican's world, apparently.

Can you post the pertinent quotes from the article? It's behind a Pay-Wall.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

It is quite an extensive article but this is their summary:

Quote:
The Pinocchio Test

Kavanaugh since 2004 has faced dozens of questions from senators of both parties about this issue and has given essentially the same answer: Nothing seemed fishy because Senate staffers often shared this kind of information across party lines.

Questions arose once again at Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing for the Supreme Court this month, and once again, he gave the same see-no-evil answer. Even in hindsight, years after the document breach was revealed, Kavanaugh has maintained that nothing raised red flags and that he never received documents that appeared to be stolen or obtained in an “untoward” manner.

These claims defy logic. An elite Republican lawyer who was immersed at the time in Washington’s inside baseball, Kavanaugh strains credulity by claiming this extraordinary window he had into Democrats’ thinking seemed aboveboard. He received a steady stream of insider information over nine months from Miranda, according to the documents available. It reminds us of Sergeant Schultz in the 1960s TV show “Hogan’s Heroes” — “I see nothing! I hear nothing! I know nothing!”

Particularly questionable are Kavanaugh’s claims about the Peddie letter (Miranda seemed to quote directly from material Democrats had received confidentially) and about the Graves memo, which went on in breathtaking detail about Democrats’ strategy for a big, contentious political battle that year.

The best-case scenario is that Kavanaugh, who is up for a seat on the nation’s highest court, has a glaring lack of curiosity or a superficial level of discernment. The worst-case scenario is that he has been feigning ignorance since his first confirmation hearing in the Senate in April 2004, which was held after the Senate sergeant-at-arms had released his report documenting Miranda’s serial theft.

In any case, Kavanaugh’s response to Leahy this month — describing all this as “the usual kinds of discussions that would happen” — is not accurate. Neither was his answer to written questions in 2004: “These meetings, calls, and emails were typical of how judicial confirmations have been handled in past Administrations.” Neither was his response to Durbin at the 2004 hearing: “There was nothing out of the ordinary of what Senate staffs would tell us or what we would hear from our legislative affairs folks.” All three statements merit Three Pinocchios.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

McCaskill's voting against Kavanaugh - and it has nothing to do with the accusations

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/19/politics/mccaskill-kavanaugh-no/index.html

Quote:
McCaskill said in a statement her decision is not based on the allegations of sexual assault in the 1980s against the judge made by California professor Christine Blasey Ford, "but rather on his positions on several key issues, most importantly the avalanche of dark, anonymous money that is crushing our democracy." Kavanaugh has denied Ford's allegations.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

It is quite an extensive article but this is their summary:

Quote:
The Pinocchio Test

Kavanaugh since 2004 has faced dozens of questions from senators of both parties about this issue and has given essentially the same answer: Nothing seemed fishy because Senate staffers often shared this kind of information across party lines.

Questions arose once again at Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing for the Supreme Court this month, and once again, he gave the same see-no-evil answer. Even in hindsight, years after the document breach was revealed, Kavanaugh has maintained that nothing raised red flags and that he never received documents that appeared to be stolen or obtained in an “untoward” manner.

These claims defy logic. An elite Republican lawyer who was immersed at the time in Washington’s inside baseball, Kavanaugh strains credulity by claiming this extraordinary window he had into Democrats’ thinking seemed aboveboard. He received a steady stream of insider information over nine months from Miranda, according to the documents available. It reminds us of Sergeant Schultz in the 1960s TV show “Hogan’s Heroes” — “I see nothing! I hear nothing! I know nothing!”

Particularly questionable are Kavanaugh’s claims about the Peddie letter (Miranda seemed to quote directly from material Democrats had received confidentially) and about the Graves memo, which went on in breathtaking detail about Democrats’ strategy for a big, contentious political battle that year.

The best-case scenario is that Kavanaugh, who is up for a seat on the nation’s highest court, has a glaring lack of curiosity or a superficial level of discernment. The worst-case scenario is that he has been feigning ignorance since his first confirmation hearing in the Senate in April 2004, which was held after the Senate sergeant-at-arms had released his report documenting Miranda’s serial theft.

In any case, Kavanaugh’s response to Leahy this month — describing all this as “the usual kinds of discussions that would happen” — is not accurate. Neither was his answer to written questions in 2004: “These meetings, calls, and emails were typical of how judicial confirmations have been handled in past Administrations.” Neither was his response to Durbin at the 2004 hearing: “There was nothing out of the ordinary of what Senate staffs would tell us or what we would hear from our legislative affairs folks.” All three statements merit Three Pinocchios.

Thank you sir!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

So encouraging to see a McCaskill take a firm stand on something over which she has no control. What a brave soul.

Now let's just take a looksee at when she's up for re-election. November? huh. I'm sure one has nothing to do with the other.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
McCaskill's voting against Kavanaugh - and it has nothing to do with the accusations

Quote:
McCaskill said in a statement her decision is not based on the allegations of sexual assault in the 1980s against the judge made by California professor Christine Blasey Ford, "but rather on his positions on several key issues, most importantly the avalanche of dark, anonymous money that is crushing our democracy." Kavanaugh has denied Ford's allegations.

Well, let's hope this strategy works in Missouri and she keeps the seat, but there's a bunch of other, more important reasons that he shouldn't be confirmed.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
So encouraging to see a McCaskill take a firm stand on something over which she has no control. What a brave soul.

Now let's just take a looksee at when she's up for re-election. November? huh. I'm sure one has nothing to do with the other.

To be fair, it would be far easier to delay taking a stand at all, or, if she must, lean toward yes. She's not in a state where opposing kavanaugh makes it easier on her.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

To be fair, it would be far easier to delay taking a stand at all, or, if she must, lean toward yes. She's not in a state where opposing kavanaugh makes it easier on her.

I also don't understand undermining the motives of someone doing the right thing. Isn't doing the right thing for the "wrong" reasons better than doing the wrong thing for whatever reason?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Quote:
Polygraphs are nonsensical pseudoscience. Stop parroting its use just because it happens to be a convenient cudgel in aid of your political viewpoint.

I don't think they're nonsensical pseudoscience. They're not an exact science and are not admissible in court. Having taking one I think they have a measure of credibility.

Quote:
Polygraphs have been used to railroad far more people than they have ever helped,

Do you have evidence of this or is that an assumption?

Quote:
and I am almost positive you (and several like you) would flip sides in a second to attack a polygraph if, say, someone like George Zimmerman used it to exonerate himself.

If George Zimmerman were exonerated by a polygraph I would definitely encourage a investigation.

Quote:
They are a steaming crock of (bleep) and sheds no light on the truthfulness of her story or the falsity of Kav's.

I disagree. I believe it gives insight to the validity of her's and Kavanaugh's stories in the court of public opinion.

The fact that they are inadmissible in court tells us that they hold little investigative value. As I posted before, I passed one while lying. My son’s friend was trying to get a job with the sheriff and failed while telling the truth. All it tells you is how well a person can control their emotions and body. For a law enforcement candidate that does have value.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Quote:
Polygraphs are nonsensical pseudoscience. Stop parroting its use just because it happens to be a convenient cudgel in aid of your political viewpoint.

I don't think they're nonsensical pseudoscience. They're not an exact science and are not admissible in court. Having taking one I think they have a measure of credibility.

Quote:
Polygraphs have been used to railroad far more people than they have ever helped,

Do you have evidence of this or is that an assumption?

Quote:
and I am almost positive you (and several like you) would flip sides in a second to attack a polygraph if, say, someone like George Zimmerman used it to exonerate himself.

If George Zimmerman were exonerated by a polygraph I would definitely encourage a investigation.

Quote:
They are a steaming crock of (bleep) and sheds no light on the truthfulness of her story or the falsity of Kav's.

I disagree. I believe it gives insight to the validity of her's and Kavanaugh's stories in the court of public opinion.

Quote:
The fact that they are inadmissible in court tells us that they hold little investigative value.

I know they're inadmissible in court and with good reason. As I said I've taken one and when asked had I done something that would get me in hot water I lied and the machine picked up on it.
Quote:
As I posted before, I passed one while lying.

As I posted before, I don't believe you. I'm not calling you a liar, you may be telling the truth. I'm saying due to my experience, I don't believe you.
Quote:
My son’s friend was trying to get a job with the sheriff and failed while telling the truth.

That's possible. I don't know the question asked. They may have been designed to see if a person was suitable for the job and your son's friend may not have been.
Quote:
All it tells you is how well a person can control their emotions and body. For a law enforcement candidate that does have value.

I believe some people have been trained to beat a polygraph test.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

I also don't understand undermining the motives of someone doing the right thing. Isn't doing the right thing for the "wrong" reasons better than doing the wrong thing for whatever reason?

You're right. But damn we've sunk so low. I mean Kavanaugh perjured himself 4 times already. How hard is it to say, he doesn't belong on the court because he doesn't respect the rule of law.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Quote:

This will probably be her last term due to this vote.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I hope Susan Collins votes NO!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

"Well, there wasn't a crime committed. These are two teenagers and it's obvious that she said no and he respected it and walked away. He just flat out says that's not true. Regardless if it was true, these are two teenagers and she said no and he respected that so I don't know what the issue is." - Franklin Graham.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

you simply cannot make this stuff up.....

Wisconsin Democratic Sen. Tammy Baldwin sends out a fundraiser invitation...

Quote:
“Please Join Debra Katz, Lisa Banks and End Citizens United for Cocktails and Conversation with U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) to support her re-election campaign,”

Then claims Katz and Banks will no longer attend once the invitation became public....but they are not partisan political operatives or anything.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

This will probably be her last term due to this vote.

I honestly think it was her last term regardless of the vote.....it has felt like her time in the Senate has been on borrowed time since she entered the Senate a little over a decade ago. She barely won in 2006 with a ton of wind at her back. She was done in 2012 until that idiot Aken decided to introduce us to "legitimate rape" . I think McCaskill, Heitkamp, Donnelly, Nelson and maybe Tester are all serving their last months in the Senate.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
“Please Join Debra Katz, Lisa Banks and End Citizens United for Cocktails and Conversation with U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) to support her re-election campaign,”

Then claims Katz and Banks will no longer attend once the invitation became public....but they are not partisan political operatives or anything.

Umm. The entire process is entirely political?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Just wanted to say if my employer found out I had these allegations against me and they were made public there's a 1000% chance that I would get fired. This is just unacceptable for someone seeking a justice seat while under these types of accusations.

You are honestly claiming that if your current employer learned today someone accused you of a crime that happened 36 years ago.....without an ounce of legitimate corroborating evidence, they would terminate you? So if I sent a letter to your current employer today as follows.....

Quote:
Dear nickuku's employer,

I hope all is well. I thought you should know that 35 or 36 years ago, nickuku held me down and tried to remove my clothes.

Sincerely, adkindo.

You are claiming your employer would call you in to the office and terminate you? I have a difficult time believing that is true, but if it is true, you definitely should consider finding a new employer, because that is beyond unfair on any level.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

Umm. The entire process is entirely political?

is that your "independent" opinion?
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Basically, Kavanaugh walked right next to a dead body on the street, tripped over it, and kept walking. Then claims he didn't see it. That's it in a nutshell.

Kavanaugh is a political hack in the same ilk as Alito.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1089, 1090, 1091 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1090 of 3663
Jump to: