THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1090, 1091, 1092 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
WaPo's Fact Checker gives Kavanaugh 3 Pinocchios for lying under oath.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/20/brett-kavanaughs-unlikely-story-about-democrats-stolen-documents/?utm_term=.969cc3cc1a79

I guess we must accept that truth now has a liberal bias, as does everything else according to Republicans, but even so, and even if we discount Kavanaugh's extreme political biases, I don't think he, or any judge, should be confirmed with such a problem with the truth. This seems to be clearly obvious for a system of governance and the rule of law used for it's guidance, but, today, not in Republican's world, apparently.

Can you post the pertinent quotes from the article? It's behind a Pay-Wall.

It is quite an extensive article but this is their summary:

Quote:
The Pinocchio Test

Kavanaugh since 2004 has faced dozens of questions from senators of both parties about this issue and has given essentially the same answer: Nothing seemed fishy because Senate staffers often shared this kind of information across party lines.

Questions arose once again at Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing for the Supreme Court this month, and once again, he gave the same see-no-evil answer. Even in hindsight, years after the document breach was revealed, Kavanaugh has maintained that nothing raised red flags and that he never received documents that appeared to be stolen or obtained in an “untoward” manner.

These claims defy logic. An elite Republican lawyer who was immersed at the time in Washington’s inside baseball, Kavanaugh strains credulity by claiming this extraordinary window he had into Democrats’ thinking seemed aboveboard. He received a steady stream of insider information over nine months from Miranda, according to the documents available. It reminds us of Sergeant Schultz in the 1960s TV show “Hogan’s Heroes” — “I see nothing! I hear nothing! I know nothing!”

Particularly questionable are Kavanaugh’s claims about the Peddie letter (Miranda seemed to quote directly from material Democrats had received confidentially) and about the Graves memo, which went on in breathtaking detail about Democrats’ strategy for a big, contentious political battle that year.

The best-case scenario is that Kavanaugh, who is up for a seat on the nation’s highest court, has a glaring lack of curiosity or a superficial level of discernment. The worst-case scenario is that he has been feigning ignorance since his first confirmation hearing in the Senate in April 2004, which was held after the Senate sergeant-at-arms had released his report documenting Miranda’s serial theft.

In any case, Kavanaugh’s response to Leahy this month — describing all this as “the usual kinds of discussions that would happen” — is not accurate. Neither was his answer to written questions in 2004: “These meetings, calls, and emails were typical of how judicial confirmations have been handled in past Administrations.” Neither was his response to Durbin at the 2004 hearing: “There was nothing out of the ordinary of what Senate staffs would tell us or what we would hear from our legislative affairs folks.” All three statements merit Three Pinocchios.

Thank you sir!

Small trick with WAPO. you can open the article up in incognito mode in chrome/firefox. It'll bypass the paywall.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
you simply cannot make this stuff up.....

Wisconsin Democratic Sen. Tammy Baldwin sends out a fundraiser invitation...

Quote:
“Please Join Debra Katz, Lisa Banks and End Citizens United for Cocktails and Conversation with U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) to support her re-election campaign,”

Then claims Katz and Banks will no longer attend once the invitation became public....but they are not partisan political operatives or anything.

Umm. The entire process is entirely political?

How can you say such a thing??? Trump's Republicans have spent, or were slated to, $10M. With all the ads I've seen about how he's a heckofa guy Brenty, I would not be surprised it was well passed that. Trumps's Republicans gave the Democrats hours to see the documents the evening before the hearings and only omitted about nine out of ten of them. Trump's Republicans think 71 > 293*, and only with Republicans does that math work.

*If that confuses Trump's Republicans, 71 is the number of days Kavanaugh's appointment has been open and 293 the number of days for Garland--without a frickin' hearing.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
“Please Join Debra Katz, Lisa Banks and End Citizens United for Cocktails and Conversation with U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) to support her re-election campaign,”

Then claims Katz and Banks will no longer attend once the invitation became public....but they are not partisan political operatives or anything.

I'm not sure what you're issue is. The fact that they are Democratic supporters and fundraisers? Or that they are stepping back from public campaigning because they are representing a witness in a Supreme Court confirmation process?

I mean, if Rudy Giuliani declined to host a GOP fundraiser he had agreed to do (and was a long time fundraiser for) because he was now representing Trump (not that this would cause Rudy any ethical dilemma, but just for example), would you have a problem with that?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Quote:
As I posted before, I passed one while lying.

As I posted before, I don't believe you. I'm not calling you a liar, you may be telling the truth. I'm saying due to my experience, I don't believe you.

Well, then you getting him a lie detector test to assess this claim should be a win-win, shouldn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

It's actually pretty easy for some people to fool a lie detector test, and hard for some innocent people to pass one (which is the reason they are inadmissible). I've taken them, and a lot of people have a lot of misconceptions about how to beat one. Contrary to popular opinion, you can't effectively do it by giving a false positive on the control questions. You have to give a false negative on the actual questions. And they don't surprise you with the questions, or give you control questions you might be apprehensive about either. They take you through all the questions before hand, and then go back over them in the same order during the test. You're supposed to know when the questions they are testing you for are coming. The anticipation is part of how the test works. They are placed among questions for which there is no issue in answering truthfully, like, "do you work at Costco?". The baseline is measured against the questions that you may be lying about, but have already been asked.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

Umm. The entire process is entirely political?

is that your "independent" opinion?

Supreme Court nominations are one of the most political things. These justices IMO have more impact over 20-30 years on the bench than a 1-2 term president.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
It's actually pretty easy for some people to fool a lie detector test, and hard for some innocent people to pass one (which is the reason they are inadmissible). I've taken them, and a lot of people have a lot of misconceptions about how to beat one. Contrary to popular opinion, you can't effectively do it by giving a false positive on the control questions. You have to give a false negative on the actual questions. And they don't surprise you with the questions, or give you control questions you might be apprehensive about either. They take you through all the questions before hand, and then go back over them in the same order during the test. You're supposed to know when the questions they are testing you for are coming. The anticipation is part of how the test works. They are placed among questions for which there is no issue in answering truthfully, like, "do you work at Costco?". The baseline is measured against the questions that you may be lying about, but have already been asked.

That's interesting. Could you think of something truthful before the Costco question and then answer with a lie to fool it?

Or think of something that you have a phobia of, and then answer in the truth?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:

I also don't understand undermining the motives of someone doing the right thing. Isn't doing the right thing for the "wrong" reasons better than doing the wrong thing for whatever reason?

You're right. But damn we've sunk so low. I mean Kavanaugh perjured himself 4 times already. How hard is it to say, he doesn't belong on the court because he doesn't respect the rule of law.

Sadly, I don't know that we've ever not been low in this country even as some individuals and collectives have fought against baseness, greed, oppression, etc.

But yeah, my expectations for red state Dems is rock bottom. Just don't vote for alleged attempted rapists and stripping people of their healthcare.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
WaPo's Fact Checker gives Kavanaugh 3 Pinocchios for lying under oath.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/20/brett-kavanaughs-unlikely-story-about-democrats-stolen-documents/?utm_term=.969cc3cc1a79

I guess we must accept that truth now has a liberal bias, as does everything else according to Republicans, but even so, and even if we discount Kavanaugh's extreme political biases, I don't think he, or any judge, should be confirmed with such a problem with the truth. This seems to be clearly obvious for a system of governance and the rule of law used for it's guidance, but, today, not in Republican's world, apparently.

Can you post the pertinent quotes from the article? It's behind a Pay-Wall.

It is quite an extensive article but this is their summary:

Quote:
The Pinocchio Test

Kavanaugh since 2004 has faced dozens of questions from senators of both parties about this issue and has given essentially the same answer: Nothing seemed fishy because Senate staffers often shared this kind of information across party lines.

Questions arose once again at Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing for the Supreme Court this month, and once again, he gave the same see-no-evil answer. Even in hindsight, years after the document breach was revealed, Kavanaugh has maintained that nothing raised red flags and that he never received documents that appeared to be stolen or obtained in an “untoward” manner.

These claims defy logic. An elite Republican lawyer who was immersed at the time in Washington’s inside baseball, Kavanaugh strains credulity by claiming this extraordinary window he had into Democrats’ thinking seemed aboveboard. He received a steady stream of insider information over nine months from Miranda, according to the documents available. It reminds us of Sergeant Schultz in the 1960s TV show “Hogan’s Heroes” — “I see nothing! I hear nothing! I know nothing!”

Particularly questionable are Kavanaugh’s claims about the Peddie letter (Miranda seemed to quote directly from material Democrats had received confidentially) and about the Graves memo, which went on in breathtaking detail about Democrats’ strategy for a big, contentious political battle that year.

The best-case scenario is that Kavanaugh, who is up for a seat on the nation’s highest court, has a glaring lack of curiosity or a superficial level of discernment. The worst-case scenario is that he has been feigning ignorance since his first confirmation hearing in the Senate in April 2004, which was held after the Senate sergeant-at-arms had released his report documenting Miranda’s serial theft.

In any case, Kavanaugh’s response to Leahy this month — describing all this as “the usual kinds of discussions that would happen” — is not accurate. Neither was his answer to written questions in 2004: “These meetings, calls, and emails were typical of how judicial confirmations have been handled in past Administrations.” Neither was his response to Durbin at the 2004 hearing: “There was nothing out of the ordinary of what Senate staffs would tell us or what we would hear from our legislative affairs folks.” All three statements merit Three Pinocchios.

Thank you sir!

Small trick with WAPO. you can open the article up in incognito mode in chrome/firefox. It'll bypass the paywall.

And thank you as well sir!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Two things the dirty Dems screwed up with their conspiracy to depth charge the Kavanaugh SCOTUS confirmation:

1) They should've gone after Gorsuch first. It's a shame this exact same Congress didn't use this ploy last year.

2) Successful rape is such a better sell than attempted rape. For all the money George Soros is paying Dr. Ford, she really should've coordinated a more visceral, detailed story with Debra Katz, Dianne Feinstein, and Tammy Baldwin so that even adkindo couldn't see through their nefarious ruse.

But that's okay, Dems! We'll successfully smear the next GOP SCOTUS nominee after not attempting to do so during the Roberts, Alito, and Gorsuch confirmation hearings. Thankfully conservatives haven't learned yet that all (bleep) be trippin' and that good men aren't always the victims of George Soros coordinated smear campaigns.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Also, Ed Whelan is another Soros plant. The Dems are brilliant at the long con!

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Economy Continues to Show Strength; Dow and S&P 500 to new record highs

Quote:
Wall Street delivered another set of milestones Thursday as a wave of buying sent U.S. stocks solidly higher, driving the Dow Jones industrial average and the Standard & Poor’s 500 index to new record highs.

Quote:
The Labor Department's weekly tally of applications for unemployment aid was lower than expected, with claims slipping last week to 201,000 — the lowest level since November 1969.

Quote:
An economic index from the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia also topped forecasts, and the Conference Board's index of leading economic indicators, designed to anticipate economic conditions three to six months out, rose 0.4% last month. Although that came in slightly below forecasts, it still suggests the economy is on sure footing, said Tracie McMillion, global head of asset allocation for Wells Fargo Investment Institute.

With a [reading] that high, it's very unlikely that there's a recession on the horizon,” McMillion said. “The U.S. market is responding to this foundation of economic strength. Pair that with a dollar that has started to depreciate a little bit, and that's good news for U.S. companies that trade abroad.”

LINK
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
Wall Street delivered another set of milestones Thursday as a wave of buying sent U.S. stocks solidly higher, driving the Dow Jones industrial average and the Standard & Poor’s 500 index to new record highs.

Quote:
The Labor Department's weekly tally of applications for unemployment aid was lower than expected, with claims slipping last week to 201,000 — the lowest level since November 1969.

Quote:
An economic index from the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia also topped forecasts, and the Conference Board's index of leading economic indicators, designed to anticipate economic conditions three to six months out, rose 0.4% last month. Although that came in slightly below forecasts, it still suggests the economy is on sure footing, said Tracie McMillion, global head of asset allocation for Wells Fargo Investment Institute.

With a [reading] that high, it's very unlikely that there's a recession on the horizon,” McMillion said. “The U.S. market is responding to this foundation of economic strength. Pair that with a dollar that has started to depreciate a little bit, and that's good news for U.S. companies that trade abroad.”

LINK

Economic stimulus works.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Just can’t make this stuff up, trade war with China, issues with trumps Supreme Court pick, apparently low approval raitings, ‘Russian collaboration’ and the stock market shrugs everything off and hits an all time high, and unemployment is at record lows....as long as trump has this going dems will have a tough time to counter it
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LINK

Economic stimulus works.

Stock buy backs work
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Now Ford wants Kavanaugh to testify first and doesn't want him in the room during her testimony. Oh lord this is getting better by the hour. Explain to me what exactly is he going to testify if we don't even know any detail from her story? And if you are going to accuse someone of sexual assault then that person has a right to hear what they are being accused of and face the accuser while they are giving testimony.

Then you have this peach:
Ford Classmate Backtracks: ‘Had No Idea’ She’d Need ‘Specifics’ to ‘Defend’ Kavanaugh Assault Claim
“In my [Facebook] post, I was empowered and I was sure it probably did [happen],” Ford classmate Cristina King Miranda told NPR’s Nina Totenberg on Thursday.
“I had no idea that I would now have to go to the specifics and defend it before 50 cable channels and have my face spread all over MSNBC news and Twitter.”
“That it happened or not, I have no idea,” Miranda said of the assault.
“I can’t say that it did or didn’t.”

https://www.lifezette.com/2018/09/ford-classmate-backtracks-had-no-idea-shed-need-specifics-to-defend-kavanaugh-assault-claim/

Then you have the cherry on top which is:
Dianne Feinstein receives a letter from Ford but is told not to reveal Ford's name. Then proceeds to hold onto this information and doesn't feel it's important to share during any of Kavanaugh's confirmation process. Then after it looks like Kavanaugh is going to make it through decides to throw down her wild card as a last ditch political move. Then betrays Ford by allowing her name to be leaked which in my opinion is going to cause more mental anguish than the alleged offense. Does nobody have a problem with these actions? These are not the actions of a concerned caring person. This is someone who is using someone's sexual assault claim as a political tool. It's disgusting and vile and how anyone can be ok with how this was handled is beyond me.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Just can’t make this stuff up, trade war with China, issues with trumps Supreme Court pick, apparently low approval raitings, ‘Russian collaboration’ and the stock market shrugs everything off and hits an all time high, and unemployment is at record lows....as long as trump has this going dems will have a tough time to counter it

People generally vote with their pocketbooks so the fact the unemployment is way down and the economy is booming does not bode well for them. They're only hope is that people's hate for Trump will outweigh the risk to their wallets.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject:

I'm somewhat happy that over 60 percent of the American people realize that economic prosperity shouldn't overshadow a clear assault on democracy, political institutions, the free press, and facts. It would easy to come to the conclusion that the economy is doing well and that the status quo should remain. But a true believer in this country's potential for greatness should come to the conclusion that, despite the apparent prosperity, we will lose everything else if Trumpism survives in the long term.

But I'm not really happy because a third of the population has clear authoritarian tendencies, motivated by outdated and dangerous notions on race and gender.

That's why we should keep fighting, even if the Dow keeps breaking records.

Last edited by Wilt on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:51 pm; edited 6 times in total
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

People generally vote with their pocketbooks so the fact the unemployment is way down and the economy is booming does not bode well for them. They're only hope is that people's hate for Trump will outweigh the risk to their wallets.

As long as trump can keep the illusion of a booming economy and low unemployment alive he’s probably ok. I think the illusion lasts to november at least and then?...

The economic reality and true forecast are not that rosey.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I'm somewhat happy that over 60 percent of the American people realize that economic prosperity shouldn't overshadow a clear assault on democracy, political institutions, democracy, the free press, and facts. It would easy to come to the conclusion that the economy is doing well and that the status quo should remain. But a true believer in this country's potential for greatness should come to the conclusion that, despite the apparent prosperity, we will lose everything else if Trumpism survives in the long term.

But I'm not really happy because a third of the population has clear authoritarian tendencies, motivated by outdated and dangerous notions on race and gender.

I see authoritarianism and intolerance from the left as well as the right. Dialogue with reason and logic is the only way. I think many ordinary people are capable of that, they’re voices are just drowned out by too many power hungry leaders fanatics and corporatists. I see very few in positions of power with good ideas or intentions.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I'm somewhat happy that over 60 percent of the American people realize that economic prosperity shouldn't overshadow a clear assault on democracy, political institutions, democracy, the free press, and facts. It would easy to come to the conclusion that the economy is doing well and that the status quo should remain. But a true believer in this country's potential for greatness should come to the conclusion that, despite the apparent prosperity, we will lose everything else if Trumpism survives in the long term.

Should you really be touting free press and facts in the same sentence? I think the past couple years has shown that's been a major problem on both sides of the fence. And if the democratic leadership wants to win back votes they need to regroup and come up with a plan that's going to appeal to the more centric voters. I found this article pretty interesting read:
https://decentralize.today/dump-the-failing-toxic-democratic-party-brand-and-start-over-80b945db01e9
"Fairly or unfairly, at least 40% of American voters think the Democratic Party’s brand, its commonly perceived principles, are: political correctness, welfare, big government, open borders, and high taxes."

"The leftmost segment of the Democratic Party wants the party to go hard left and double-down on higher taxes, more government entitlement programs, and an even stronger concentration on gender tolerance and abortion protection.

The remainder of the party seems to have no coherent philosophy or program beyond “The Republicans Are Wrong” and “We Are The Nice People.”

You can’t sell Fords with the message that “Chevys are bad cars” and neither can you sell them with the message, “Ford is a nice company.”

"If you oppose the Republican’s Rich-Get-Richer policies, if you don’t believe in “trickle-down” economics, if you don’t believe that corporations should be set free to do to consumers whatever they can get away with, if you want to rebuild the working class and the middle-class instead of further enriching the upper class, and if you want to get elected to Congress in a suburban or rural area in Indiana or Utah, leastwise in South Carolina or Texas, you will have to run under a new banner, one that will differentiate you from the liberal, political-correctness, tax-and-spend, big-government labels that today are inextricably associated with the Democratic Party in much of the country."
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
you will have to run under a new banner, one that will differentiate you from the liberal, political-correctness, tax-and-spend, big-government labels that today are inextricably associated with the Democratic Party in much of the country."

>"Surely, it wasn't the rebublicans who beat their rube constituents over their heads with the reductionist characterizations of the democratic party that republicans created"
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject:

DOW setting records yet wages can't keep up with inflation.
It's almost as if trickle down economics help a small, rich minority of the country more than everyone else.

Alibaba pulled 1 million American jobs because of our fun little trade war. And our trade deficit rose 9.5% in 1 month. But hey, hedge funds are making a killing. So it's alll gooood!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:

"If" Trump takes this economy into the 2020 election, he will be re-elected. I am not saying that to anger anyone or hype Trump.....just I believe a presidential incumbent would be nearly unbeatable with this economy. That being said, 2 years is a 100 political lifetimes away, and Republicans have did about as poor a job as possible selling the booming economy for the mid-terms.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DOW setting records yet wages can't keep up with inflation.
It's almost as if trickle down economics help a small, rich minority of the country more than everyone else.

Alibaba pulled 1 million American jobs because of our fun little trade war. And our trade deficit rose 9.5% in 1 month. But hey, hedge funds are making a killing. So it's alll gooood!

I am not sure what exactly the claim is....are you suggesting there is a large segment of the population that is doing worse in the current economy than they were 2,4,or 6 years ago? If your complaint is that in a booming economy, the rich benefit more on a net dollar basis.....then I am not sure how you would remedy that, or why you feel it needs remedied at all. The Rich will always gain more on a net dollar basis in a growing economy.

I am all for Democrats being upset over trade wars, tariff's, and anything that prevents free trade, but I have to ask where have you guys been the last 40 years? During my lifetime, a small minority of Democrats have supported free trade, and have mostly favored protectionist trade policies very similar to the actions Trump has taken. The only support that Obama received on his free trade initiatives were from the right side of the aisle. Even Clinton relied on Republicans to pass his trade agreements.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1090, 1091, 1092 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 1091 of 3673
Jump to: