THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1092, 1093, 1094 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Well, looking forward to Rosenstein getting fired.

Other journalists are speculating that Trump and WH purposely fed this false story to the NYT so Trump would have a pretext for immediately firing Rosenstein, then the new AG fires Mueller. Rosenstein is denying it (I'll see if I can find a link - have only seen the quote on twitter).

This sounds EXACTLY like something Trump would do.

NYT: Rosenstein Suggested He Secretly Record Trump and Discussed 25th Amendment

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein, suggested last year that he secretly record President Trump in the White House to expose the chaos consuming the administration, and he discussed recruiting cabinet members to invoke the 25th Amendment to remove Mr. Trump from office for being unfit.

Mr. Rosenstein made these suggestions in the spring of 2017 when Mr. Trump’s firing of James B. Comey as F.B.I. director plunged the White House into turmoil. Over the ensuing days, the president divulged classified intelligence to Russians in the Oval Office, and revelations emerged that Mr. Trump had asked Mr. Comey to pledge loyalty and end an investigation into a senior aide.

Mr. Rosenstein was just two weeks into his job. He had begun overseeing the Russia investigation and played a key role in the president’s dismissal of Mr. Comey by writing a memo critical of his handling of the Hillary Clinton email investigation. But Mr. Rosenstein was caught off guard when Mr. Trump cited the memo in the firing, and he began telling people that he feared he had been used.

Rosenstein denies that he proposed secretly taping Trump

Quote:
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is denying a report in The New York Times that he suggested last year he secretly record President Donald Trump in the White House to expose chaos in the administration.

Rosenstein says the story is "inaccurate and factually incorrect."

Last edited by ChefLinda on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:

Broadly, I think the teacher strikes in West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Arizona along with Missouri's rejection of their "right-to-work" union busting law demonstrate the same popular dissatisfaction with the current economic recovery that buoyed up Bernie and Trump in 2016 - "if the economy is so great, why isn't it doing better for me?" .

You always here teachers complaining about pay. Out of curiosity my wife and I looked up our child's kindergarten teacher's salary and her total benefits package was well over 100k a year. At least in California it seems teachers are doing just fine. You can see the information for your local town here.
https://transparentcalifornia.com/agencies/salaries/school-districts/

Good to hear. Quality childcare/education is nice
I am guessing though that her pay is related to your economic ability and neighborhood?

Pick a Hood and see if salaries compare

Only a guess
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
The Thief wrote:

Broadly, I think the teacher strikes in West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Arizona along with Missouri's rejection of their "right-to-work" union busting law demonstrate the same popular dissatisfaction with the current economic recovery that buoyed up Bernie and Trump in 2016 - "if the economy is so great, why isn't it doing better for me?" .

You always here teachers complaining about pay. Out of curiosity my wife and I looked up our child's kindergarten teacher's salary and her total benefits package was well over 100k a year. At least in California it seems teachers are doing just fine. You can see the information for your local town here.

Why is it that conservatives so hate teacher's being paid a decent salary? I guess I really know the answer to that, they hate unions. Why do they hate unions? Because unions support Democrats. Why is it they so hate Democrats (when they often agree with their policies)? I'm not sure, but it might just be because Democrats supported and support the oppressed: blacks and all people of color, women and their freedom, all religions (though with a wall from government), people with different sexual preferences. That Democrats support consumers, workers, and the environment against excesses of the multi-national corporations and unscrupulous businesses, should find allegiance from both parties rank and file, but the aforementioned must weigh heavier with conservatives.

But the question should be, how much do teachers make relative to other jobs requiring similar education? According to the Economic Policy Institute (self described as non-partisan, but like everything else it seems, described as liberal by conservatives), teachers, including benefits, earn 11% less than similarly educated and experienced workers.

https://www.epi.org/publication/teachers-make-17-percent-less-than-similar-workers/

I wonder if this takes into account all the "Extra Mile(s)" teachers put in to make ends meet in the classrooms
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
We should just let the red states secede.

All the Pro-Trump people in Cali can do a property exchange with progressives in Texas and Alabama. We can split Florida in half.

Why only in half? LINK

Wouldn't it be the West Coast, the North East and Illinois being the blue states? Maybe Northern Virginia is part of the NE.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Kavanaugh's accuser and the curious George Soros links

LINK

Apparantly she has ties to a pharmaceutical company called Corcept Therapeutics. If this information is accurate that could certainly be seen as a motive if you believe Kavanaugh is going to be the vote to make abortion illegal.

"Corcept Therapeutics (Corcept.com) manufacturers and markets an abortion pill drug called mifepristone, and Christine Blasey Ford is a co-author of at least eight published scientific papers produced by the pharmaceutical giant to promote its pills. You can see Blasey’s name listed on several publications at this Corcept.com web page detailing their research papers.

Corcept Therapeutics, Inc., a $166 billion market cap company (stock symbol CORT) reportedly has current annual sales of $216 million. The company offers just one drug, mifepristone, which is widely known as an “abortion pill” or RU-486."

"If Kavanaugh were to be confirmed on the U.S. Supreme Court and be part of a decision that overturns Roe vs. Wade, it would make the prescribing of Corcept’s drug for abortion illegal, directly impacting the bottom line profits of the company for which Christine Blasey works."

https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-09-20-kavanaugh-accuser-christine-blasey-exposed-for-ties-to-big-pharma-abortion-pill-maker.html

This is almost cool if legit.. *I still think it is all coincidence.. how could so many things line up on both sides.. time will tell.. won't take long either
edxzaws33
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

Me too. And Sessions.

Rosenstein was part of the deep state team that leaked the paid for by Hillary discredited dossier to Yahoo News and then used Yahoo News report as verification of the dossier in FISA courts to argue for spying of Trumps campaign team. They also didnt reveal in FISA Hillarys connection to the dossier.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

edxzaws33 wrote:

Me too. And Sessions.

Rosenstein was part of the deep state team that leaked the paid for by Hillary discredited dossier to Yahoo News and then used Yahoo News report as verification of the dossier in FISA courts to argue for spying of Trumps campaign team. They also didnt reveal in FISA Hillarys connection to the dossier.

Welcome.

Glad to see you here

Let's MAGA!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

edxzaws33 wrote:

Me too. And Sessions.

Wow. Russian bots on LG too. We made it!!!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I am not sure what exactly the claim is....are you suggesting there is a large segment of the population that is doing worse in the current economy than they were 2,4,or 6 years ago? If your complaint is that in a booming economy, the rich benefit more on a net dollar basis.....then I am not sure how you would remedy that, or why you feel it needs remedied at all. The Rich will always gain more on a net dollar basis in a growing economy.

The way you gush over our economy where 80% of workers are living paycheck to paycheck.
It kinda makes me sick.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Other journalists are speculating that Trump and WH purposely fed this false story to the NYT so Trump would have a pretext for immediately firing Rosenstein, then the new AG fires Mueller. Rosenstein is denying it (I'll see if I can find a link - have only seen the quote on twitter).

This sounds EXACTLY like something Trump would do.

NYT: Rosenstein Suggested He Secretly Record Trump and Discussed 25th Amendment

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein, suggested last year that he secretly record President Trump in the White House to expose the chaos consuming the administration, and he discussed recruiting cabinet members to invoke the 25th Amendment to remove Mr. Trump from office for being unfit.

Mr. Rosenstein made these suggestions in the spring of 2017 when Mr. Trump’s firing of James B. Comey as F.B.I. director plunged the White House into turmoil. Over the ensuing days, the president divulged classified intelligence to Russians in the Oval Office, and revelations emerged that Mr. Trump had asked Mr. Comey to pledge loyalty and end an investigation into a senior aide.

Mr. Rosenstein was just two weeks into his job. He had begun overseeing the Russia investigation and played a key role in the president’s dismissal of Mr. Comey by writing a memo critical of his handling of the Hillary Clinton email investigation. But Mr. Rosenstein was caught off guard when Mr. Trump cited the memo in the firing, and he began telling people that he feared he had been used.

Rosenstein denies that he proposed secretly taping Trump

Quote:
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is denying a report in The New York Times that he suggested last year he secretly record President Donald Trump in the White House to expose chaos in the administration.

Rosenstein says the story is "inaccurate and factually incorrect."

I don't doubt the veracity of it - everyone of any substance who comes into contact with Trump realizes he's an unfit buffoon - and there's no reporting Rosenstein ever acted on his venting. But, as you note, it was almost assuredly selectively leaked to give Trump cover to fire Rosenstein asap. We'll see if he can be held back from the brink one more time, assuming there's anyone left in the WH to hold him back.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
edxzaws33 wrote:

Me too. And Sessions.

Wow. Russian bots on LG too. We made it!!!

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
edxzaws33 wrote:

Me too. And Sessions.

Welcome.

Glad to see you here

Let's MAGA!!!

You mean MOFA?

https://libertymaniacs.com/products/make-orwell-fiction-again-flexfit-twill-cap
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

NYT is getting played. It's so clearly self-serving to the Trump agenda that the editorial board should have taken 10 minutes to consider the info, consider the source and get comments from people who were in the room. It only took 10 minutes to find people who were witnesses to exchange.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:

Good to hear. Quality childcare/education is nice
I am guessing though that her pay is related to your economic ability and neighborhood?

Pick a Hood and see if salaries compare

Only a guess

You don't have to guess that's why I provided the link. Here's the link to Compton from 2014 which is the latest year they provide. Just type in "Teacher" in the filter.
https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/search/?a=school-districts%2Flos-angeles%2Fcompton-unified&q=Teacher&y=2014
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

The irony of GOPers citing how reliable the NYT's reporting is.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
NYT is getting played. It's so clearly self-serving to the Trump agenda that the editorial board should have taken 10 minutes to consider the info, consider the source and get comments from people who were in the room. It only took 10 minutes to find people who were witnesses to exchange.

Here's further reporting from WaPo (dueling anonymous sources!):
Quote:
While McCabe’s memos assert both the recording and 25th amendment conversations occurred at a meeting within days of Comey’s firing, another person at the meeting, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations, insisted the recording comment was said in a moment of sarcasm, and that the 25th amendment was not discussed.

That person said the wire comment came in response to McCabe’s own pushing for the Justice Department to open an investigation into the president. To that, Rosenstein responded with what this person described as a sarcastic comment along the lines of, “What do you want to do, Andy, wire the president?”

That person insisted the statement was never discussed with any intention of recording a conversation with the president.

Link
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I am not sure what exactly the claim is....are you suggesting there is a large segment of the population that is doing worse in the current economy than they were 2,4,or 6 years ago? If your complaint is that in a booming economy, the rich benefit more on a net dollar basis.....then I am not sure how you would remedy that, or why you feel it needs remedied at all. The Rich will always gain more on a net dollar basis in a growing economy.

The way you gush over our economy where 80% of workers are living paycheck to paycheck.
It kinda makes me sick.

You could also attribute that to people spending money of items that they just don't need or just general mismanagement of money. I don't think that number means 80% of people that are buying the essentials only are living paycheck to paycheck. That symptom is not just a symptom of the poor. I know people that have a healthy income but just don't do any type of financial planning.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
The Thief wrote:

Why is it that conservatives so hate teacher's being paid a decent salary? I guess I really know the answer to that, they hate unions. Why do they hate unions? Because unions support Democrats. Why is it they so hate Democrats (when they often agree with their policies)? I'm not sure, but it might just be because Democrats supported and support the oppressed: blacks and all people of color, women and their freedom, all religions (though with a wall from government), people with different sexual preferences. That Democrats support consumers, workers, and the environment against excesses of the multi-national corporations and unscrupulous businesses, should find allegiance from both parties rank and file, but the aforementioned must weigh heavier with conservatives.

But the question should be, how much do teachers make relative to other jobs requiring similar education? According to the Economic Policy Institute (self described as non-partisan, but like everything else it seems, described as liberal by conservatives), teachers, including benefits, earn 11% less than similarly educated and experienced workers.

https://www.epi.org/publication/teachers-make-17-percent-less-than-similar-workers/

I wonder if this takes into account all the "Extra Mile(s)" teachers put in to make ends meet in the classrooms

I think most conservatives are not supportive of poor education and want a children first approach. Conservatives are against teachers Unions where poor teach performance is allowed to persist. Having good teachers and paying them well should be bipartisan.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Brett Kavanaugh was Biff Tannen
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
The Thief wrote:

I think most conservatives are not supportive of poor education and want a children first approach. Conservatives are against teachers Unions where poor teach performance is allowed to persist. Having good teachers and paying them well should be bipartisan.

Is this anecdotal, or do you have first hand experience? I have two children who went through the public education system: One got her degree and is doing quite well; the other is still in college. I had some problems with a couple of their teachers and the curriculum in general in High School (but then, how do you handle raging hormones co-mingled with students with absent parents?) but I'd say, overall, they (what some 40+ teachers?) did a damn decent job. At least none of them shot someone in the back in the course of duty.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
The Thief wrote:

Is this anecdotal, or do you have first hand experience? I have two children who went through the public education system: One got her degree and is doing quite well; the other is still in college. I had some problems with a couple of their teachers and the curriculum in general in High School (but then, how do you handle raging hormones co-mingled with students with absent parents?) but I'd say, overall, they (what some 40+ teachers?) did a damn decent job. At least none of them shot someone in the back in the course of duty.

There are lots of good school districts and lots of bad ones. My daughter went to public school and will graduate this year and is a A student in college. I do know some conservatives and most are pro teacher but are for a performance based reward system. Unions are designed to protect their members in every industry and make it difficult to get rid of poor performers. That is not anecdotal that is how most unions work. Now the players association is an exception to that general rule as making an NBA roster is performanced based.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
The Thief wrote:

There are lots of good school districts and lots of bad ones. My daughter went to public school and will graduate this year and is a A student in college. I do know some conservatives and most are pro teacher but are for a performance based reward system. Unions are designed to protect their members in every industry and make it difficult to get rid of poor performers. That is not anecdotal that is how most unions work. Now the players association is an exception to that general rule as making an NBA roster is performanced based.

Right (except I'm not sure what you mean by performance based reward system). Not all teachers are good. Then again, not all police are good, or basketball players, or welders or roofers. This is likely true of all professions.

One of my daughters had one guy as you describe, the only guy she had in grammar school, who happened to be black. But just as I don't consider him to represent all teachers, neither do I consider him to represent all males or blacks. Painting with such a broad brush, or looking at this half-empty, or focusing on the exception rather than the rule, is just unfair to the vast majority of really good teachers.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

MIT Sloan School of Management study claims twice as many undocumented immigrants in the U.S. as commonly believed

Quote:
There are roughly twice as many undocumented immigrants in the U.S. as commonly believed, according to a sweeping new study by MIT Sloan School of Management's Mohammad Fazel-Zarandi, a Senior Lecturer in the Operations Research and Statistics group, and his colleagues, Edward Kaplan and Jonathan Feinstein, both from Yale School of Management.

The study, which is published today in PLOS ONE, estimates that there are about 22.1 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S.; the most prominent current estimate is 11.3 million. Even using parameters intentionally aimed at producing a conservative estimate, the study finds a population of 16.7 million undocumented immigrants.

LINK
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:

It kinda makes me sick.

You could also attribute that to people spending money of items that they just don't need or just general mismanagement of money. I don't think that number means 80% of people that are buying the essentials only are living paycheck to paycheck. That symptom is not just a symptom of the poor. I know people that have a healthy income but just don't do any type of financial planning.

I can't even take your post seriously. Especially the bolded. It's borderline offensive.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
MIT Sloan School of Management study claims twice as many undocumented immigrants in the U.S. as commonly believed

Quote:
There are roughly twice as many undocumented immigrants in the U.S. as commonly believed, according to a sweeping new study by MIT Sloan School of Management's Mohammad Fazel-Zarandi, a Senior Lecturer in the Operations Research and Statistics group, and his colleagues, Edward Kaplan and Jonathan Feinstein, both from Yale School of Management.

The study, which is published today in PLOS ONE, estimates that there are about 22.1 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S.; the most prominent current estimate is 11.3 million. Even using parameters intentionally aimed at producing a conservative estimate, the study finds a population of 16.7 million undocumented immigrants.

LINK

I guess this means that "undocumented's" are involved in approximately half the crime, as a percentage, than previously thought?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1092, 1093, 1094 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1093 of 3663
Jump to: